Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
[QUOTE="bbbbbbb,

I will try to rephrase it for you. Are there any commandments of God other than the Ten which the SDA obeys?

That would be an issue for a different topic since this one is about the seventh day of the week versus the first day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. On that topic, must it be an either/or question? What is wrong with doing church on both days?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Does what God say count for anything?

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

The Ten Commandments are God-written- by the finger of God Exodus 31:18, spoken by God’s own voice Exodus 20, placed in the ark of the covenant in the Most Holy of God’s Temple which is revealed in heaven. Revelation 11:19

God said right in His Ten Commandments, showing mercy to thousands who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

There is no scripture that says we can break God’s commandments, the saints keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus until the very end. Revelation 14:12 I sure hope and pray to be one of His saints because the saints are the saved ones, not the lost. We don’t keep the commandments of God to be saved, its through love and faith. 1 John 5:3, Romans 3:31
Luke, Paul, and James were inspired by the Holy Spirit in what they wrote, and so Paul's opposition to the Judaizer's insistence on Christians keeping the Law, and James writing "we gave no such commandment" about keeping to the Law, and so it was God's opposition to the keeping of the Jewish Law. The inspired Scripture that says, "No one will be justified by the keeping of the Law" shows that God will not justify anyone who tries to be self-righteous by keeping the Law.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Luke, Paul, and James were inspired by the Holy Spirit in what they wrote, and so Paul's opposition to the Judaizer's insistence on Christians keeping the Law, and James writing "we gave no such commandment" about keeping to the Law, and so it was God's opposition to the keeping of the Jewish Law. The inspired Scripture that says, "No one will be justified by the keeping of the Law" shows that God will not justify anyone who tries to be self-righteous by keeping the Law.
Yes, I agree Luke, Paul and James are inspired by the Holy Spirit, what do they say about keeping the commandments of God….they all affirm the teaching of Jesus that we should keep the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten Commandments.

Luke 18:20
You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”

Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven and goes on to quote directly from the Ten Commandments Matthew 5:19-30

Matthew 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

Matthew 5:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and,‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said,Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Like what is said in Hebrews 10:26-30 the apostles agree we should keep the commandments of God in fact Paul goes on to say what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19

No one says we are justified by keeping God’s laws. We are not saved by keeping God’s laws. We are saved by being transformed by the Holy Spirit through our relationship with Jesus. When we have a changed heart it will be evident in our actions and one would want to keep God’s commandments through faith Romans 3:31, Revelation 14:12 and love Exodus 20:6, 1 John 5:3, John 14:15

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree Luke, Paul and James are inspired by the Holy Spirit, what do they say about keeping the commandments of God….they all affirm the teaching of Jesus that we should keep the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten Commandments.

You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”

Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven and goes on to quote directly from the Ten Commandments Matthew 5:19-30

Matthew 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

Matthew 5:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and,‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said,Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Like what is said in Hebrews 10:26-30 the apostles agree we should keep the commandments of God in fact Paul goes on to say what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19

No one says we are justified by keeping God’s laws. We are not saved by keeping God’s laws. We are saved by being transformed by the Holy Spirit through our relationship with Jesus. When we have a changed heart it will be evident in our actions and one would want to keep God’s commandments through faith Romans 3:31, Revelation 14:12 and love Exodus 20:6, 1 John 5:3, John 14:15
But James, writing a letter under the direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit, wrote concerning the requirement of some to keep the Law, "We gave no such commandment". That makes it pretty clear that God has given no such commandment to converter believers under the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I have a good friend who is an elderly widow with lots of free time. Typically, she attends Saturday church services at the SDA church here and on Sundays visits anywhere from one to three other churches and attends their services. Is there anything wrong with her?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But James, writing a letter under the direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit, wrote concerning the requirement of some to keep the Law, "We gave no such commandment". That makes it pretty clear that God has given no such commandment to converter believers under the New Covenant.
Can you please quote the scripture text you are referring to. Even if what you think is true, which I don’t think James is going to contradict himself from one scripture to another, does James have the authority to override God or Jesus who tells us to keep the commandments of God? There is no scripture that says we do not have to keep the commandments of God, to be honest I am not sure why anyone would not want to keep them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a good friend who is an elderly widow with lots of free time. Typically, she attends Saturday church services at the SDA church here and on Sundays visits anywhere from one to three other churches and attends their services. Is there anything wrong with her?
Nothing at all. She just enjoys fellowship with a range of fellow believers regardless of what church they belong.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Can you please quote the scripture text you are referring to. Even if what you think is true, which I don’t think James is going to contradict himself from one scripture to another, does James have the authority to override God or Jesus who tells us to keep the commandments of God? There is no scripture that says we do not have to keep the commandments of God, to be honest I am not sure why anyone would not want to keep them.
Acts 15:24.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts 15:24.
Acts 15:24 We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said.

It does not say that we do not need to keep the commandments of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Confirmation bias prevents you from seeing that Christ kept the Law for us,

The Bible does not say that Jesus kept God's law for us, but rather he kept the law in part so that we would have an example to follow, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22), that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), and to be imitators of Paul as he imitated Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1). In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus summarized God's law as being about how to love God and our neighbor, so saying that he kept the law for us so that we don't have to would be like saying that he loved the Father and his neighbor for us so that we don't have to, but rather he command us to love has he loved (John 13:34).

and became our Substitute for us on the Cross, taking the penalty for our failure to keep the Law.

In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from God's law, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject what he accomplished through the cross. The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty for our sin should make us what to go and sin no more, not consider ourselves free to do what God has revealed to be sin.

The Scripture says: "He who knew no sin became sin for us that we may become the righteousness of God in Christ."
What this means is that we no longer have to keep the requirements of the Law, because our faith in Christ makes us totally righteousness before God as His free gift to us.

Christ expressed the righteousness of God through setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, so that is also the way that we get to live when we receive the gift of becoming the righteousness of God in Christ, and again, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. To describe God as righteous is to say that He does what is righteous and it would contradictory to describe Him as righteous if He did not do what is righteous, so there is no such thing as receiving the gift of righteousness apart from also receiving the gift of becoming someone who does what is righteous in obedience to God's law. There is nothing about that verse that means that we no longer have to keep the requirements of the law. In Romans 3:31, our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it, so our faith in Christ does not abolish our need to obey it, but rather it leads us to obey it. It is contradictory for you to want the gift of righteousness while wanting nothing to do with the content of that gift.

"By grace we are saved through faith, not of ourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast."

Here are some verses that speak against earning our eternal life/salvation as a wage: Romans 3:28, Romans 4:4-5, Romans 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, Galatians 2:21, and Galatians 3:21.}

Here are some verses that support our eternal life/salvation requiring our obedience: Romans 2:6-7, Romana 2:13, Romans 6:19-23, Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:11-14, Galatians 3:26-29, Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28, Hebrews 5:9, and Revelation 22:14.

So there must be a reason why our eternal life/salvation requires us to choose to be doers of God's law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith (Romans 3:31). In Ephesians 2:810, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while it denies that we can earn salvation as a wage lest anyone should boast, doing good works is nevertheless an integral part of being saved from not doing good works. Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage by obeying God's law, living in obedience to it is intrinsically the content of the gift of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

Observance to the Law produces self-righteousness, which are filthy rags in the sight of God.

If I were lost and asked someone for directions, then I would be putting my faith in them to save me from being lost by relying exactly on what they instructed, and it would not be giving credit where it is due to think that by following their instructions I was saving myself from being lost. In the same way, thinking that obeying the law that God has instructed is about producing self-righteousness is not giving credit where it is due. If God's law were His instructions for how to become self-righteous and put on filthy rags, and God does not want us to do that, then it would follow that God therefore does not want to be obeyed, which is absurd, when all throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, but rather it is God's instructions for how to testify about His righteousness, which is why our good works bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16). God's ways are not command filthy rags and to think that they are is to express an extremely poor view of God. In Isaiah 64:6, it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people complaining, when in reality the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen.

Having the righteousness of Christ means that God's moral law is in our hearts and we live by it as the Holy Spirit works sanctification in us. Therefore we don't have to be instructed to comply with the Law, because we already do through faith in the Christ who kept the Law perfectly for us.

All of God's laws are inherently moral laws, and in Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts, which is so that we will obey it, not so that we will have justification for refusing to obey it, and it was Israel's disobedience to God's law that required the New Covenant in the first place (Hebrews 8:6-10). It is contradictory for you to think that it is written on our hearts while arguing against obeying it.

Therefore the Sabbath rest that we enter into is better than the Saturday Sabbath, because the Saturday Sabbath was a law for unconverted Jews. Converted Christians have entered into a better Sabbath rest, because it is not a rest we have to observe on a certain day of the week, but it is God's rest that we have entered into through Christ, because He is our rest, and resting in Him causes us to rest from all works to justify or sanctify us before God. This opens the way for the Holy Spirit to work in us the good works that God has pre-ordained that we should have as the workmanship of Christ and through which we are conformed to His image.

In Jeremiah 31:31, the New Covenant is a covenant made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel, so it is only through becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become partakers of the New Covenant. Jesus spent his ministry teaching his follower how to obey the Torah by word and by example, including keeping the Sabbath holy, and he did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of undermining anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant still involves following the Torah (Jeremiah 31:33). Gentiles can look at what Jesus taught and decided whether or not to become his follower, but Gentiles can follow him by refusing to follow what he taught and instead doing something that he did not teach. Again, Hebrews 4:11 says that we should strive to enter into God's rest so that no one may fall away by the same sort of disobedience, so trying to use entering into God's rest to justify the same sort of disobedience is exactly the opposite of what was being said. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law, but that is what you are arguing against doing. In Hebrews 1:3, the Son is the exact image of God's nature, which he expressed by living in sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Torah, so the way to be conformed to His image is not by rejecting his example.

Continuing to observe the Saturday Sabbath blocks entry into God's rest in Christ, and therefore those who teach and observe it have no interest in Christ, because they are still following a gospel of works. Paul said that even if an angel of heaven comes and preaches a gospel other than what he preached, let him be accursed.

God did not mislead us when He commanded us to keep the Sabbath holy. It continues to be absurd to suggest that the way to deny Christ is by following what He taught in accordance with what God has commanded. The way to deny Christ is by refusing to obey the law of which He is the living embodiment, not by obeying it.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus because his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Torah was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14), and which he commissioned his disciples with (Matthew 28:16-20). In Acts 2:38, when Peter told his audience to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin, the Torah was again how his audience knew what sin is. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scriptures were written for our instruction and in 15:18-19, his Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from sin, which is the same Gospel that I am preaching. Furthermore, in Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17, it speaks against those who do not obey the Gospel, so you would be wise to cease preaching another gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
She may enjoy feeding on the Word of God from several different churches. A cattle farmer would call that rotational grazing!

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not say that Jesus kept God's law for us, but rather he kept the law in part so that we would have an example to follow, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22), that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), and to be imitators of Paul as he imitated Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1). In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus summarized God's law as being about how to love God and our neighbor, so saying that he kept the law for us so that we don't have to would be like saying that he loved the Father and his neighbor for us so that we don't have to, but rather he command us to love has he loved (John 13:34).

In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from God's law, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject what he accomplished through the cross. The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty for our sin should make us what to go and sin no more, not consider ourselves free to do what God has revealed to be sin.

Christ expressed the righteousness of God through setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, so that is also the way that we get to live when we receive the gift of becoming the righteousness of God in Christ, and again, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. To describe God as righteous is to say that He does what is righteous and it would contradictory to describe Him as righteous if He did not do what is righteous, so there is no such thing as receiving the gift of righteousness apart from also receiving the gift of becoming someone who does what is righteous in obedience to God's law. There is nothing about that verse that means that we no longer have to keep the requirements of the law. In Romans 3:31, our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it, so our faith in Christ does not abolish our need to obey it, but rather it leads us to obey it. It is contradictory for you to want the gift of righteousness while wanting nothing to do with the content of that gift.

Here are some verses that speak against earning our eternal life/salvation as a wage: Romans 3:28, Romans 4:4-5, Romans 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, Galatians 2:21, and Galatians 3:21.}

Here are some verses that support our eternal life/salvation requiring our obedience: Romans 2:6-7, Romana 2:13, Romans 6:19-23, Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:11-14, Galatians 3:26-29, Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28, Hebrews 5:9, and Revelation 22:14.

So there must be a reason why our eternal life/salvation requires us to choose to be doers of God's law other than in order to earn it as a wage, such as faith (Romans 3:31). In Ephesians 2:810, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while it denies that we can earn salvation as a wage lest anyone should boast, doing good works is nevertheless an integral part of being saved from not doing good works. Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage by obeying God's law, living in obedience to it is intrinsically the content of the gift of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

If I were lost and asked someone for directions, then I would be putting my faith in them to save me from being lost by relying exactly on what they instructed, and it would not be giving credit where it is due to think that by following their instructions I was saving myself from being lost. In the same way, thinking that obeying the law that God has instructed is about producing self-righteousness is not giving credit where it is due. If God's law were His instructions for how to become self-righteous and put on filthy rags, and God does not want us to do that, then it would follow that God therefore does not want to be obeyed, which is absurd, when all throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to His law, but rather it is God's instructions for how to testify about His righteousness, which is why our good works bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16). God's ways are not command filthy rags and to think that they are is to express an extremely poor view of God. In Isaiah 64:6, it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people complaining, when in reality the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen.

All of God's laws are inherently moral laws, and in Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts, which is so that we will obey it, not so that we will have justification for refusing to obey it, and it was Israel's disobedience to God's law that required the New Covenant in the first place (Hebrews 8:6-10). It is contradictory for you to think that it is written on our hearts while arguing against obeying it.

In Jeremiah 31:31, the New Covenant is a covenant made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel, so it is only through becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become partakers of the New Covenant. Jesus spent his ministry teaching his follower how to obey the Torah by word and by example, including keeping the Sabbath holy, and he did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of undermining anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant still involves following the Torah (Jeremiah 31:33). Gentiles can look at what Jesus taught and decided whether or not to become his follower, but Gentiles can follow him by refusing to follow what he taught and instead doing something that he did not teach. Again, Hebrews 4:11 says that we should strive to enter into God's rest so that no one may fall away by the same sort of disobedience, so trying to use entering into God's rest to justify the same sort of disobedience is exactly the opposite of what was being said. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law, but that is what you are arguing against doing. In Hebrews 1:3, the Son is the exact image of God's nature, which he expressed by living in sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Torah, so the way to be conformed to His image is not by rejecting his example.

God did not mislead us when He commanded us to keep the Sabbath holy. It continues to be absurd to suggest that the way to deny Christ is by following what He taught in accordance with what God has commanded. The way to deny Christ is by refusing to obey the law of which He is the living embodiment, not by obeying it.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus because his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Torah was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14), and which he commissioned his disciples with (Matthew 28:16-20). In Acts 2:38, when Peter told his audience to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin, the Torah was again how his audience knew what sin is. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scriptures were written for our instruction and in 15:18-19, his Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from sin, which is the same Gospel that I am preaching. Furthermore, in Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17, it speaks against those who do not obey the Gospel, so you would be wise to cease preaching another gospel.
In saying that we have to live by the Law, then it is up to you to demonstrate that you can live by the Law perfectly. One infraction, according to Scripture, is equivalent to breaking the whole Law. This is what Paul said in Romans: "Here you are teaching others to keep the Law when you don't do it yourself". So, you can quote all the Scriptures you want ad infinitum, but if you can't keep the Law perfectly all the time, then you are teaching others what you don't do yourself. The Scripture also says that if you are basing your Christian life on keeping the Law, then grace is no longer grace and Christ is of no benefit to you in terms of being justified by God.

An example of practising what you preach. Are you loving God with all your heart, mind and strength 24 hours a day seven days a week? Are you loving everyone you know, even those who don't like you, or who are unlovable, 24 hours a day, seven days a week? Can you say that you never sin? Because sin is transgression against the Law, then every time you sin even in the smallest way, you are breaking the Law that you are teaching that Christians should keep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.