Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackLamb

Dec 27, 2004
Visit site
✟8,156.00
Faith
Christian
I was just over at the secular music board and saw some posts that bothered me, so I thought I would post some thoughts here.

Do you think Christians have become too obsessed with Satanism, the Occult, and Satanic Ritual Abuse? Now, let me be clear. I believe we are to be vigilant and be alert for the presence of the devil, and to be able to recognize if he is working in something. However, I think it is possible to go overboard with it too. Do you think we are so in need of excitement that we allow false doctrines and false teachings on Satan into our minds? I mean, look how popular Chick tracts are! Perhaps I can explain where I am coming from.

When I was younger, I constantly read the teachings of authors like Rebecca Brown, Bob Larson, and other "experts" on the occult. At first I ate it up and agreed with everything they wrote. I even wanted to be exactly like Rebecca Brown when I grew up. However, I got to a point where I would be tormented with fears of allowing demonic presence into my life and doubting myself for liking things like metal and fantasy and wearing gothic clothing just because these authors said it was from the devil. I was even afraid to wear a temporary tattoo because Ms. Brown said tattoos were bad for Christians! After I read another book by her about curses that affect Christians, there was a period when I compulsively thought bad things about people (just because I *didn't* want to) and then had to say a little prayer to "break" the curse I just put on them, or else I wouldn't have peace of mind. I even have fear posting this, for the same reasons I feared everything else. If there is any stronghold in my life, I'd say it was from these books, not from "satanic" things like unicorns and dragons :sigh:

Now, I can't blame everything I experienced on these people, there were other factors, and I don't know them so I hope no one thinks I am crying "false teacher!" While I have my own opinions about them I cannot claim anything for sure. However, I'd like to know what other people's opinion on the subject is. Has anyone else ever had experiences like this or have their own thoughts on the matter?

hannabl

Dec 8, 2004
Göteborg
✟8,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I haven't been on the secular music board, ina long time anyway, so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

What 'false doctrines' are you talking about?
And also, I'm not familiar with this Rebecca Brown, so where is she wrong? I'd like to give my thoughts on this matter, but so far the only false belief about satan I've come across repeatedly is the belief that he doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Blacklamb,

I do not know what Chick tracts are. I am unfamiliar with Ms.Brown's writings, and have heard Mr. Larson on the radio. I listened to him once and that was enough for me to know that He is not speaking GOd's truth. If you are a Christian and are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, I believe you CANNOT also be indwelt with evil spirits. The two cannot abide together!

The result that these authors had on your thought life and actions show that they are dubious! Read God's word and meditate on that, not on these author's words. As you can see, authors are not all trustworthy nor worth our time and effort. I will research authors before I pick up one of their books to read.

I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me, but I would suggest you look at the effect they had on you.

As for tattoos there is a verse in the OT about not being tattooed (do a concordance search. I think it has to do with being separate from the pagan culture surrounding Israel. But I also know two Christian tattoo artists! That is a topic you will need to seek God's leading on.

God bless you and keep you as you refine your faith!

JJB

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. There has never been a case of "Satanic Ritual Abuse" ever. It is little more than a hoax.

2. There are a lot of oddballs like Jack Chick, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, and others going around. My advice is to just ignore them as they are little more than heretics. If you want accurate information...A) Do some scholarly research B) Go to the source C) Ask the Early Church Fathers (in other words, consult them)

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do think there is a tendency in Christianity to want to blame everything on the devil. Some try to exorcize the "spirit" or "demon" of anything out of a person. Satan takes advantage of our weaknesses. If we don't want to give him a stronghold to work with, then we, with God's grace, have to struggle against our weaknesses and overcome them. I think it's a symptom of the instant fix that so many Christians want. We want to just be able to exorcise our weaknesses rather than have to struggle against them. To overcome our weaknesses takes a lot of time and work and we want everything now. It would be so much easier if they could just be exorcised and instantly fixed. That isn't how God usually works, however. The whole spiritual life is "spiritual warfare" against Satan and is a constant struggle that will last for at least the rest of this life.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I meant to also say that some Christians want to blame Satan for everything and not take any responsibility themselves. It so much easier to blame it on a "spirit" or "demon" of drug addiction, anger, or fill in the blank with whatever other vice you want to fill in, and have it exorcised than to have to take responsibility yourself and then have to struggle against it and overcome it, by God's grace.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
PaladinValer said:
2. There are a lot of oddballs like Jack Chick, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, and others going around.
I used to think that Robertson was a good Christian, but ever since the election I've been unsure of what to think of him. You see, quite a few months ago, he said that he received a prophecy that Bush was going to win the election in a landslide... And yet, while Bush did win the electoral vote with a fair margin, the popular vote wasn't as close. Does one wrong prophecy mean that he shouldn't be trusted?

And sorry for getting off-topic; just wanted to express something I've been thinking about for a while.

Upvote 0

BlackLamb

Dec 27, 2004
Visit site
✟8,156.00
Faith
Christian
Scholar in training said:
I used to think that Robertson was a good Christian, but ever since the election I've been unsure of what to think of him. You see, quite a few months ago, he said that he received a prophecy that Bush was going to win the election in a landslide... And yet, while Bush did win the electoral vote with a fair margin, the popular vote wasn't as close. Does one wrong prophecy mean that he shouldn't be trusted?

And sorry for getting off-topic; just wanted to express something I've been thinking about for a while.

Well, I believe that one of God's requirements in the Old Testament for distinguishing between real and false prophets is whether or not the prophecy came true. I can't give you the exact passage where that's found though. I don't know how fond I am of the Mr. Robertson, but as a Christian I will love him, and I have to say that being off by one prophecy might not prove anything. However, if you're going to speak something forth like that to the general public, you should probably be sure you really are hearing from God.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry if there was any confusion over the people I had mentioned, I was just kind of using them as examples. I suppose I'm just tired of this generation's brand of Christianity, satanic conspiracies and all. I'm tired of self-proclaimed "annointed leaders of God" who make blanket statements and expect everyone to believe them, and if someone doesn't then they aren't a good Christian or something. I look forward to the day in Heaven when we all realize how wrong we were and we can just get on with living the new life, God, and each other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.