United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
@Phoneman-777

If you had to recommend one of Roger's books, which one and why? I might order one online. Thanks

Please don't. If you want good Christian material I'd be more than happy to recommend good books written by credible Christian theologians. Try just about anything by N.T. Wright or Alister McGrath. Credo by Hans Urs von Balthasar is another good work. God Still Matters by Herbert McCabe is another good book. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer is a classic. If you want something that involves the actual ways the devil seeks to sow discord among the Faithful, try the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

But don't waste money on a grifter selling conspiracy theories to profit off of the Faithful, that's exactly the kind of thing the devil actually wants, because it keeps us distracted and our eyes off Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Please don't. If you want good Christian material I'd be more than happy to recommend good books
Okay. If you could recommend a good Christian book or two that would be great. Edit: I guess you already did, whoops!
But don't waste money on a grifter selling conspiracy theories to profit off of the Faithful, that's exactly the kind of thing the devil actually wants, because it keeps us distracted and our eyes off Christ
Okay you talked me out of it.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
try the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
I actually read that one about 6 years ago when I first came to faith. It is quite a unique book, but I'm not sure I really care to be "getting inside" the minds of demons now that I think of it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Satanism is manmade mumbo jumbo practiced by few. Openly wantonly sinning and rejecting Christ is practiced by many.
You obviously lead a sheltered life. It's real enough. Not so many overtly worship Satan, but it is more common than you realise. Have you not heard of Anton LaVey and the church of Satan? A number of Rock bands are overtly Satan worshippers. They do pretty well in music sales and concert attendances.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I actually read that one about 6 years ago when I first came to faith. It is quite a unique book, but I'm not sure I really care to be "getting inside" the minds of demons now that I think of it.
Much of what CS Lewis foresaw in the book has come to pass. He also said that it was the hardest of his books to write.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah..... I'll believe his claims about demon worshiping secret societies and "end times" satanic plots when pigs fly. This is John Todd and Mike Warnke levels of religious grift.

-CryptoLutheran
I suppose you reject Ephesians 6:12?

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

and 1 Peter 5:8
Be sober-minded and alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You obviously lead a sheltered life. It's real enough. Not so many overtly worship Satan, but it is more common than you realise. Have you not heard of Anton LaVey and the church of Satan? A number of Rock bands are overtly Satan worshippers. They do pretty well in music sales and concert attendances.
I hate to tell you this, but I already posted a video of Anton LaVey being interviewed (post #18). So yeah, I know about the church of satan and much more. I react to it pretty much the way the interviewer reacted to LaVey. Here's the full interview.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you not think that there are secret societies or an elite class of humans who do worship demons and the devil?
Even if there are, that doesn't mean this guy was a member of one. There's been multiple people who claimed to have served in these kinds of secret societies but their claims were proved false. Is there any particular reason to give this one greater credence than normal?

You obviously lead a sheltered life. It's real enough. Not so many overtly worship Satan, but it is more common than you realise. Have you not heard of Anton LaVey and the church of Satan?

LaVey didn't believe in Satan at all; he was an atheist. The Church of Satan is atheist too and does not believe in Satan. They just use the term "Satan" and "Satanist" because they approve using them as a symbol of rebellion, and also to just try to get attention. "A weird combination of atheism and libertarianism" doesn't get the same sort of attention as "satanism" does.

A number of Rock bands are overtly Satan worshippers. They do pretty well in music sales and concert attendances.
Because being edgy sells. Incidentally, this classic Calvin and Hobbes comic comes to mind:
CalvinAndHobbes.jpg

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because being edgy sells. Incidentally, this classic Calvin and Hobbes comic comes to mind:
View attachment 331466
I watched part of a civil trial where a mom was suing a band because she believed their songs had subliminal messages that caused her son to commit suicide.

The lead guy in the band said if they were going to put a subliminal message in their songs, it would be "buy more of our records". Trying to kill off their money suppliers didn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I suppose you reject Ephesians 6:12?

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

and 1 Peter 5:8
Be sober-minded and alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Why would I reject what St. Paul and St. Peter wrote?

But the way that we war against the devil isn't by concocting conspiracy theories, but by abiding in our faith in Christ.

The Scriptures teach, "Resist the devil and he will flee" and "Do not rejoice for the devils are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven"

In Ephesians 6 the Apostle tells us to be equipped with the full armor of God: faith, hope, the Gospel, truth, righteousness, and the word of God. He says that faith is our shield which guards us against the flaming arrows of the evil one.

What I don't understand is trying to create elaborate stories, concoct conspiracy theories, and to make up things when what is written for us in the Scriptures is right there for us to give us everything we need to stand firm in Christ and resist the devil.

The Church's One Foundation

1 The Church's one foundation
is Jesus Christ, her Lord;
she is his new creation
by water and the Word.
From heav'n he came and sought her
to be his holy bride;
with his own blood he bought her,
and for her life he died.

2 Elect from ev'ry nation,
yet one o'er all the earth;
her charter of salvation:
one Lord, one faith, one birth.
One holy name she blesses,
partakes one holy food,
and to one hope she presses,
with ev'ry grace endued.

3 The Church shall never perish.
Her dear Lord to defend,
to guide, sustain, and cherish,
is with her to the end.
Tho' there be those that hate her
and strive to see her fail,
against both foe and traitor
she ever shall prevail.

4 Tho' with a scornful wonder
the world sees her oppressed,
by schisms rent asunder,
by heresies distressed,
yet saints their watch are keeping;
their cry goes up, "How long?"
and soon the night of weeping
shall be the morn of song.

5 'Mid toil and tribulation
and tumult of her war
she waits the consummation
of peace forevermore
till with the vision glorious
her longing eyes are blest,
and the great Church victorious
shall be the Church at rest.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Even if there are, that doesn't mean this guy was a member of one. There's been multiple people who claimed to have served in these kinds of secret societies but their claims were proved false. Is there any particular reason to give this one greater credence than normal?

LaVey didn't believe in Satan at all; he was an atheist. The Church of Satan is atheist too and does not believe in Satan. They just use the term "Satan" and "Satanist" because they approve using them as a symbol of rebellion, and also to just try to get attention. "A weird combination of atheism and libertarianism" doesn't get the same sort of attention as "satanism" does.

View attachment 331466

Bingo. "Satanism" is basically what happens when grown ups haven't grown out of their edgy teenager phase.

There's no evidence of actual Satan-worshiping cabals out there. Just people being edgy because it gets attention.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Phoneman-777

If you had to recommend one of Roger's books, which one and why? I might order one online. Thanks
I'd read "A Trip Into The Supernatural" without a doubt. While his books on prayer are extremely encouraging and motivating, his testimony is incredible. Jesus absolutely told the truth when He said "the thief cometh but to kill, steal, and destroy" yet some think they can make deals with him, and this thinking has led to the formation of evil secret societies everywhere, the members of which being prominent figures in the judicial system, the academic world, the medical world, even heads of State and their associates. I hope you get a copy!

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by too late?
(1) Paul was a prophet of God and gave us the divine directive to "despise not prophesyings, prove all things, hold fast to that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 KJV). The concept of "prophesyings" goes beyond the idea of a prophet sharing a revelation from God, but also includes the work of a teacher or preacher.

(2) The Lord is displeased when His counsel delivered to us by His prophet is rejected (Luke 7:29-35 KJV).

(3) The saved always "keep His commandments and do those things which are pleasing (not displeasing) in His sight" (1 John 3:22 KJV).

Therefore, if we fail to "despise not prophesyings, prove all things, hold fast to that which is good" and simply reject a spiritual proposition out of bigotry, desire to win a debate, fear of being proved wrong, or outright rebellion to God's will, we bring condemnation upon ourselves except that we repent before it's too late.

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the rapture happened in 1994, I mean 2011, just like Harold Camping predicted. And also, Jesus returned invisibly in 1914, and Barack Obama was the antichrist. Also, planet Nibiru is going to cause a pole shift and that'll be the end of world, probably sometime in 2012 just like the Mayans said.

I think I'll keep my faith in Jesus Christ, but feel free to believe whatever you want.

-CryptoLutheran
Don't forget the most ridiculous belief system of all: evolution.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(1) Paul was a prophet of God and gave us the divine directive to "despise not prophesyings, prove all things, hold fast to that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 KJV). The concept of "prophesyings" goes beyond the idea of a prophet sharing a revelation from God, but also includes the work of a teacher or preacher.

(2) The Lord is displeased when His counsel delivered to us by His prophet is rejected (Luke 7:29-35 KJV).

(3) The saved always "keep His commandments and do those things which are pleasing (not displeasing) in His sight" (1 John 3:22 KJV).

Therefore, if we fail to "despise not prophesyings, prove all things, hold fast to that which is good" and simply reject a spiritual proposition out of bigotry, desire to win a debate, fear of being proved wrong, or outright rebellion to God's will, we bring condemnation upon ourselves except that we repent before it's too late.
So I'm going to Hell if I don't take that person on the youtube video seriously. Do you realize how kooky that sounds?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget the most ridiculous belief system of all: evolution.

Well, in all fairness, we are here to evolve in spirit.

I remember being a kid when they was teaching us all about evolution and primodial soup and stuff! We didn't believe it then and we don't believe it now. WHen we was walking home from school one of our favorite slurs for our friends was, oh look, there's your mom! (and point to a mud puddle, lol. We said stuff like that!

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
the members of which being prominent figures in the judicial system, the academic world, the medical world, even heads of State and their associates. I hope you get a copy!
Yeah I don't doubt it. Really don't doubt it. Just look at the whole Epstein debacle and wonder what else these people are hiding.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
@ViaCrucis

Hey I'm just wondering if you could respond to post #11. You seem to not be a conspiracy theorist (that's fine we can't all be lol) but I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the devil having a following on earth from a scriptural point of view. If you don't want to address post #11 that's fine though, I'm just curious as to what you make of it. Thanks

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
@ViaCrucis

Hey I'm just wondering if you could respond to post #11. You seem to not be a conspiracy theorist (that's fine we can't all be lol) but I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the devil having a following on earth from a scriptural point of view. If you don't want to address post #11 that's fine though, I'm just curious as to what you make of it. Thanks

There's nothing in Scripture that suggests there are, or ever would be, secret societies of devil followers/worshipers.

Scripture instead assumes that we are, by nature of our captivity to our sinful passions, apart from Christ, enslaved--to sin, death, hell, and the devil. In Hebrews 2:14 the author says that Christ defeated the devil and the the power the devil wielded against us, death. It is not that the devil is in control of creation, or in control of the world as some kind of puppet master; but the devil is a liar, a thief, and a murderer and because of the Fall we have inherited Adam's damaged human nature and inhabit a world that is now plagued by the tyranny of death.

The idea of secret cabals of devil worshipers creates the idea that the universe is a battle ground between competing cosmic forces, one good and one evil. This is something known as "cosmic dualism":

It was a chief doctrine of the Zoroastrian religion of Persia which taught that there were two cosmic principles, one good represented by Ahura Mazda, the good lord; and one evil represented by Angra Mainyu the evil spirit. According to Zoroastrian dogma there would one day be a final showdown between the forces of good and evil, and human beings ultimately had to take a side in this life, and in the end good would triumph over evil. This form of dualism would be complimented with Gnostic/Platonic matter dualism in the Manichaean religion, the founder of Manichaeanism, Mani, was from 3rd century Persia and had been raised in a Gnostic sect known as the Elkasites. According to Mani there were two cosmic principles of dark and light, good and evil, matter and spirit, etc. The influence of Manichaeanism on later heretical movements, such as the Paulicians of Armenia, the Bogomils of Bulgaria, and the Cathars of France, is fairly evident.

So there has always been a struggle within Christianity against these false and heretical doctrines. This cosmic dualism is antithetical to the teaching of Scripture, antithetical to everything Christian. The devil is not an evil god, evil is not a cosmic principle in contrast to good. Rather, there is only overarching cosmic principle, and that's God, and God is good. Evil, therefore, is not the cosmic opposite of good; instead evil is the deprivation, the perversion, the distortion of the good. In the beginning God created all things and what did He say about everything He made? He called everything good. Was the devil created evil? No, the devil is a creature and was originally created good. In the same way, Adam and Eve were created good, but what happened when they believed the lie of the serpent?

Evil is not a cosmic principle or force, it is the absence of the good, the perversion of the good, the distortion of the good. It is not evil that man desires to have sex, to procreate, to reproduce--in the beginning God commanded that all things reproduce. Sex isn't evil, sex is good and was part of God's good created order. But when sin entered the picture, our desires became depraved, corrupted, distorted; the Image of God with which we were created in has been twisted and malformed. That's what evil is, it is deprivation and distortion and the absence of good.

I bring all this up because when we see these conspiracy theories about secret societies of devil worshipers, and deep conspiratorial plans to create one world governments or whatever, it all plays into a deeply and fundamentally NON-Christian view of the world. It is an unbiblical view of reality. Because it imagines this world as a cosmic battleground between two opposing forces, because it grants to the devil god-like power and ability, it glorifies Satan and blasphemes God.

Resist the devil and he will flee. That's what the Bible says. Consider that seriously, it says "resist the devil", that's it. He's such a low-life coward that just resisting him makes him flee in terror.

Paul wrote "We are more than conquerors through Him", think about that. And think about what Jesus said, "Do not rejoice that the devils submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Consider the deep contrast: The devil is called the prince of the powers of the air and a "god of this world". And yet the one who belongs to Christ and bears His name rests in Him who has crushed the old snake's head under foot. Christ is risen from the dead, the devil is defeated. Christ is risen, hell is in ruins. Christ is risen, death is dead.

So who are you, O Christian, in relation to the devil? Yours is the victory already, for Christ is Victor. The devil is a liar, so call him a liar, he shall flee. The devil is a thief, but there is nothing that he can take from you if your treasure is in Christ. The devil is a murderer, but why should you fear those that can harm only the body, fear only God.

You are a child of the Almighty Maker of heaven and earth, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. You are the little lamb of the Good Shepherd who watches over His flock, and will search high and low for the smallest of His lambs. He finds what is broken and He heals it. He finds what is dead and raises it. He finds the poor and blesses them. You have all things in Christ who died for you.

The devil is unworthy of our fear. He is a pathetic worm to be smooshed. As Martin Luther wrote five hundred years ago in his hymn,

"For lo! his doom is sure.
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers,
no thanks to them abideth,
the Spirit and the gifts are ours
through Him who with us sideth."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0