Satanic Cults just a Myth or Real?

emu

Apr 30, 2004
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
'The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist' - The Usual Suspects.

There is some evidence suggesting LaVey really did believe in Satan as a real being, but said otherwise to attract more people to his church, not wanting it to be a exclusive cult in terms of numbers with the real hierarchy like the higher degree masons, knowing the secret truth. I haven't read the Satanic Bible so I can't comment any further.

Upvote 0

MQTA

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2004
Ft Myers, FL
✟69,630.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Too late to ask him now, he's gone. Where's this evidence suggesting LaVey's beliefs? Does it really matter what he believed? He did what he thought would sustain him financially.

The book stands on its own merits or demerits, aside from the author. Was a very educational and explanitory book worth reading. But I guess all texts are as good or as bad as the reader allows it.

emu said:
'The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist' - The Usual Suspects.

There is some evidence suggesting LaVey really did believe in Satan as a real being, but said otherwise to attract more people to his church, not wanting it to be a exclusive cult in terms of numbers with the real hierarchy like the higher degree masons, knowing the secret truth. I haven't read the Satanic Bible so I can't comment any further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Allright

To get to heaven you must worship God, and follow his rules. If you do this you are allowed into heaven, however if you do not do this you go to hell and are tortured forever.

If you were to believe there was no hell there would be no reason for you to do those things, so you would not.

There for Christianity's whole purpose is to preserver yourself by following your doctrine as to make sure you do not go to hell, and it is self gratification because you are doing all of the things to get into heaven to simplly get into heaven.

Upvote 0

Haleigh

You're out of your tree..
Apr 21, 2004
My room
✟183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jane_the_Bane said:
And don't forget the stereotypical use of pentagramms: Every stupid Hollywood-horror movie features one of those, notwithstanding the fact that this symbol isn't even REMOTELY satanic in origin.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
That makes me mad when I see pentagrams symbolizing devil-worship.
They are a Pagan/Wiccan symbol for harmony and peace. Also a symbol for feminism and the god Venus. Where did the Devil come out of that?!?!

Upvote 0

MQTA

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2004
Ft Myers, FL
✟69,630.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You turn it upside down and put a goat's face in it. The top 2 points are the ears, etc.

Haleigh said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
That makes me mad when I see pentagrams symbolizing devil-worship.
They are a Pagan/Wiccan symbol for harmony and peace. Also a symbol for feminism and the god Venus. Where did the Devil come out of that?!?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Libby1

Spiritual Warfare
Apr 27, 2004
Ontario, Canada
✟2,106.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Quote from Mr. Pious May 1..."Well libby if you really think about it all xianism promotes is self preservation and self gratification with the whole heaven thing...."

The above is ambiguous as one can insert i.e. satanism into the above statement and is applicable to all religions i.e. satanism,. Wicca, Hindu, etc. etc. (all religions).

Libby1

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Modern satanism was established by Anton LaVey. He used the pentagram extensively and furthered its use. Where is the argument? Did I miss something?

I was a Wiccan for 15 years. Although many in the Wicca movement would like to distance themselves from Mr. Lavey (and I don't blame them for their PR agenda), it is quite simply a fact. Those of us who have been around these movements since the early seventies, (or earlier), know quite well, who has bandied what, around.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Libby1 said:
satanisms goal is to to eradicate Xianism...........

satanism promotes self indulgence and abhors stupidity....

Libby1

As a former Wiccan, I would have to say this is quite incorrect.

The statement should read:

satanism promotes self indulgence and abhors charity.

Stupidity , or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with satanism as a movement, or as a belief system.

One could argue that LaVey was a narcissist who indulged a passion for errroneous scholarship,but he was a classic narcissist nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
+^Gothic_Dreams^+ said:
i was watching a old time 70's Dracula movie last night. called the Satanic Rites of Dracula i love my horror movies!;) and in the beganing of the movie they showed some sort of Satanic meeting or group in this old time white building. and this made me start to think and wonder. are there Really Satanic Cults out there? or are they more known and seen as meeting or groups where satanists get togethor?

share your thoughts
I just want to set the record straight here. First, I was a Wiccan for manyy years, beginning in the late seventies. It's important, in order to answer your question, to address the media of that time and what was going on.

LaVey had risen to popularity with a shrill scream by the time the movie you saw was made. The film simply capitalised on his popularity with the anti-establishment crowd. (I really think I have seen the movie you are talking about and it makes me giggle now! How seriously we took it all back then!)

What you saw in the film was very much what was popularised back then, and in fact, I would dare to say, it was probably very much whatLaVey himself wanted to realize in reality. But, it never really happened. The "Satanic" movement of the seventies died out quite quickly once everyone was introduced to Sybill Leek, an English "witch" who popularised "white magick" with her books. People were then given a wider exposure to a witchcraft that did not require "the Devil" in theory. Obviously, this was preferable! :)

Sybill's popularity was later fueled by a late blooming movement begun in England anyway by a woman named Doreen Valiente who was a "follower" of Gerald Gardner, a benign perhaps, but wacky nudist of the 30's and 40's who promoted what he claimed was the remnant of witchcraft in the British Isles. This quickly eclipsed any popularity that Satanists had previously enjoyed.

My opinion and quick take on the matter: "Satanism" as is popularly visualised, has never really "caught on". At certain times in history, it has certainly enjoyed its moment in the sun, but human nature, as fallen as it is, contains a certain "remembrance", if you will, of basic human decency, and this elimanates Satanism as a viable alternative when more "humane" and "kindly" belief systems are promoted.

What you saw in the film has never truly existed anywhere but in the American imagination. :)

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟21,635.00
Faith
Pagan
Suzannah said:
Modern satanism was established by Anton LaVey. He used the pentagram extensively and furthered its use. Where is the argument? Did I miss something?

I was a Wiccan for 15 years. Although many in the Wicca movement would like to distance themselves from Mr. Lavey (and I don't blame them for their PR agenda), it is quite simply a fact. Those of us who have been around these movements since the early seventies, (or earlier), know quite well, who has bandied what, around.
If I had a nickel for everytime someone used the word "fact" to apply to an opinion...

I think you are referring to Crowley. Gardner and Crowley were contemporaries and both were forming their religious concepts at about the same time. There is evidence that they may have corresponded, but that doesn't mean they had the same, or even similar beliefs. The commonality they had was the condemnation of mainstream religions, which can make for the strangest of bedfellows.

Wicca was already well established by the time LaVey came along, and he has had little or no influence beyond semonstrating that the power of the reigning religion can be broken. LaVeyan Religious concepts are so different from Wiccan concepts that there is little chance he could have had an influence.

A lot of people confuse Crowley and LaVey. It's a common mistake. What I find interesting is that Christians will believe anyone who claims to have been a former Witch over someone who actually is, even if the "former Witch" displays a complete lack of knowledge of the subject they were supposedly expert in. We call it the "Warnke" syndrome.

Upvote 0