Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think the TEN were the only LAWS written on stone... It wasn't til after Moses broke the first and when back up was there any written on parchment.

So you think Exodus 24:12 is a lie?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
?? There is nothing in that verse to indicate a contradiction to what I said.

Of course there is. The Bible says the Law and the Commandments were written on both sides of two tablets of stone. You said only the Decalogue was written on stone. Ergo it is a lie!

If it were the Decalogue only, I could right that on one side of one tablet - so why does the Bible say two sides of two tablets?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Of course there is. The Bible says the Law and the Commandments were written on both sides of two tablets of stone. You said only the Decalogue was written on stone. Ergo it is a lie!

If it were the Decalogue only, I could right that on one side of one tablet - so why does the Bible say two sides of two tablets?
Deuteronomy 4:13
And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Deuteronomy 4:13
And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

So. again, you are calling the Exodus account a lie? We all know that Deuteronomy is a second account of matters. If you look closely at the account in Deuteronomy you will see that it took Moses 40 days to write the words - I know he was slow of speech but that was a long time for Decalogue: and it has Moses writing them, not God.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Deuteronomy 10:4
And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me.

Exodus 34:28
And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Deuteronomy 10:4
And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the Lord spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the Lord gave them unto me.

Exodus 34:28
And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

So, tablets are now parchment? Forty days and forty nights is a loooooooong time for Moses to write the Decalogue; to write the Law (which includes the Decalogue) on the two tablets that would be about right.

Moses is told to write the Book of Law, but that is something different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ex 32:15 And Moshe turned and went down from the mountain, and the two tablets of the Testimony were in his hand, tablets written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. And the tablets were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, engraved upon the tablets.

Ex 34:1 And the Lord said to Moshe, “Hew for yourself two tablets of stone like the first, and I will write upon these tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you did break.” ......28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And He wrote upon the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten words.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Deut 10:2 And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets which you did break, and you shall put them in the ark…” And He wrote on the tablets, according to the first writing, the ten words, which the Lord spoke to you in the mountain out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ex 32:15 And Moshe turned and went down from the mountain, and the two tablets of the Testimony were in his hand, tablets written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. And the tablets were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, engraved upon the tablets.

Ex 34:1 And the Lord said to Moshe, “Hew for yourself two tablets of stone like the first, and I will write upon these tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you did break.” ......28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And He wrote upon the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten words.

So you agree that what G_d wrote was the whole Law? In the 2nd quote above I suspect that is an addition to the text, Moses wouldn't have known what the '10 Words' are.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Deut 10:2 And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets which you did break, and you shall put them in the ark…” And He wrote on the tablets, according to the first writing, the ten words, which the Lord spoke to you in the mountain out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.

Ditto post 151

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So you agree that what G_d wrote was the whole Law? In the 2nd quote above I suspect that is an addition to the text, Moses wouldn't have known what the '10 Words' are.

Did you notice Deuteronomy has G_d telling him to build a box of acacia wood to put the two tablets in?

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Did you notice Deuteronomy has G_d telling him to build a box of acacia wood to put the two tablets in?

There being no further mention of the box, what happened to it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
the ten h6235 עֶשֶׂר`eser
commandments h1697 דָּבָרdabar

I take it you do realise that just as people wrote things back into the text in the Christian Testament, so same was done to the Pentateuch. I know the Hebrew but what makes you think they wrote in Hebrew?

Do the letters J,D,P,,E mean anything to you in relation to the compilation of the Pentateuch?

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Note that Moses specifically cites the words spoken to the assembly by God himself as what is written on the tablets. Both Exodus and Deuteronomy record God speaking the 10 Commandments directly to the people

Deut 5:1 And Moses summoned all Israel and said to them, “Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the rules that I speak in your hearing today, and you shall learn them and be careful to do them. 2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 Not with our fathers did the LORD make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today. 4 The LORD spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of the midst of the fire, 5 while I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD. For you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up into the mountain. He said:

vs 2-21..THE TEN COMMANDMENTS... ending with

Deut 5:22 These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and he added no more. And he wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The weight of stone would limit the size and hence the number of words that could fit on a tablet.
Yes, so two thin pieces of stone (the couldn't be thick if they 'smashed to pieces'), Moses could carry on his back. He wasn't a wimp!!

Upvote 0