Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sanctification is a really interesting subject to myself and I would enjoy discussing it more with you if you would be willing to start a new thread for us. I am convinced that one of the major reasons for division between Catholics and non-Catholics is differing understandings of sanctification.

I was Protestant for 27 years before becoming Catholic and I remember there being no single Protestant take on Sanctification. The Wesleyan view on Sanctification seems to be the same as the Catholic view (IOW Anglican, Methodist, Nazarene, Church of God--Indiana, etc.). Other evangelical churches I attended just sort of ignored Sanctification altogether. I don't remember any classes or sermons on it at Calvary Chapel or the Baptist church that I attended.

Catholic teaching goes like this:

When we first become Christians, we receive imputed righteousness, like snow covering the cow manure, we appear holy to God. But underneath that snow is still manure.

Sanctification is the slow metamorphosis of the manure into something holy and Christ-like and eventually perfect and ready to enter heaven. We believe that whatever part of this promise is not completed in this world, will be completed in the next (this view is uniquely Catholic, except for High Church Anglicans).

This Sanctification is achieved through many means: prayer, worship, the sacraments, study of the Word, Obedience to God, God's discipline and our suffering (either directly in relationship for our sin, or indirectly), etc. All of this proceeds from Grace, which is free and unearned.

• Agree
Reactions: gabbi0408

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Sanctification": The Biblical View!

"sanctification"...Greek 38...hagiasmos...
I.consecration, purification...II.the effect of consecration A.sanctification (setting aside) of heart and life

Romans 6:19, 22 (all NASB)
I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness,resulting in further lawlessness,
so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification....
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, (of salvation)
resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

1 Col. 1:30
But by His doing you are IN Christ Jesus,
who became to us wisdom from God, and
righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,

1 Thess. 4:3...For this is the will of God, your sanctification;

2 Thess. 2:13
But we should always give thanks to God for you,
brethren beloved by the Lord,
because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification
by (God) the Holy Spirit and faith in the truth.

PROGRESSIVE SANCTIFICATION: A PROCESS!

POSITION versus PRACTICE...>
"How God views Man's spirit
VERSUS
"Christian Living"

I WAS SAVED from the PRISON of SIN in the PAST....simple "saving faith"...Ephesians 2:8

1. Substitution: "in the place of"
2. Redemption: " pay ransom, remove, and release "
3. Reconciliation: "alienation ends"
4. Propititation: "satisfaction with action"
5. Sin Nature Judged: "good overcomes bad"...nature changed
6. Justification: "view: Just-if-I..never" SINNED by the Advocate
7. Sanctification: 'process of being set aside for God, being more holy, following

I AM BEING saved from the POWER of SIN in the PRESENT
....influence of the PERMANENTLY indwelling God the Holy Spirit, guiding "battles" against the foes.
Sanctification (setting apart) is Progressive.
"Good works" are guided by God the Holy Spirit to eventual "Judgement of Believer's Works."
Faith put to WORK! ...Becoming more Christ-like by following His precepts and Spiritual guidance.
Philippians 2:12 ...work out
Hebrews 12:1 ...run race

NOTE: (Saving) FAITH without (spiritully guided following ) WORKS is DEAD (judged spiritually useless). James 2 paraphrased!

I WILL BE saved from the PRESENCE of SIN in the FUTURE
...Eternity in the NEW: Heavens and Earth and Jerusalem, with the Tri-Une God! Revelation!

The Spiritual Gift of Grace of God + The Spirit-Led Belief of Man = Spiritual SALVATION EVENT of Man!

Sanctification: Past / Present / Future = PROCESS!

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
POST:...Sanctification is achieved through many means: prayer, worship, the "sacraments", study of the Word, Obedience to God, God's discipline and our suffering (either directly in relationship for our sin, or indirectly), etc. All of this proceeds from Grace, which is free and unearned.

Amen to that! BUT: I do not like your "snow covering the cow manure" analogy. There is something more REAL!

All true Christ-followers are covered by the "Blood of Christ"!

A computer search came up with these good hits! (all cites NASB)

1. 1 Corinthians 10:16
2. Ephesians 2:13
3. Hebrews 9:14
4. 1 Peter 1:2
5. 1 Peter 1:19
6. 1 John 5:6
7. Revelation 1:5
8. 1 John 1:7

1 John 1:7
but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Revelation 1:5 (NASB)
5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood.

1 Peter 1:2,19-21
2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father,
by the sanctifying work of the Spirit,
to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood:...
19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.
20 For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you
21 who THROUGH Him are believers in God,
who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

1 John 5:6 (NASB)
6 This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood.
It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.

Ephesians 2:13(NASB)
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:16(NASB)
16 Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ?
Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ?

Hebrews 10....One Blood Sacrifice of Christ Is Sufficient
19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus,

The OLD Covenant between God and Man / His "chosen people" required a "blood" sacrifice
to cover annually the sins of the people Israel. E.g. See: Hebrews 9.

Under the NEW Covenant in Jesus' blood with all believers, ...>

Hebrews 9 (NASB) ...The Old and the New: Sacrifices and Covenants
....but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption....
...but now once at the consummation of the ages,
He has been manifested to put away sin by the (bloody) sacrifice of Himself.
27 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment,
28 so Christ also,
having been offered once to bear the sins of many,
will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.

Hebrews 10....One Blood Sacrifice of Christ Is Sufficient
...4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins....
10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.....
18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things (lawless deeds) , there is no longer any offering for sin...
19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus,
20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh,
21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith,
having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

• Agree
Reactions: kepha31
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The doctrinal truth of Progressive Sanctification...God is not finished with me...YET!

When a person becomes a spiritually born again from above Christ-follower,
the believer is spiritually freed from the bondage of sin, among many other benefits of their salvation.The battle begins. The imperfect "old man" and his sin nature still struggle with sin. But they do not struggle alone.
They have a controlling "new nature", a new Creature in Christ, and
the permanently indwelling of God the Holy Spirit that comforts and guides their spirits
towards the will and holiness of God....and away from sin.
The infant in Christ matures through:
prayer, wisdom from the Bible, fellowship from the "church", service, etc.
A believer in Jesus the God-Man goes through the PROCESS of FOLLOWING His example and precepts.

Some links that explain: the doctrinal truth of Progressive Sanctification.

Sanctification Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Welcome bibletruth.org - BlueHost.com

Progressive Sanctification

What is progressive sanctification?

Biblical Principles for Christian Maturity - CHAPTER 20

We have been saved, we are being saved and we will be saved...from SIN / SIN(s) / Sin Nature~

1. We have been saved (past) PRISON of SON >>>Eph 2:1-8 ; 1 Cor 5:4-5...simple saving spirit-led FAITH / BELIEF

2. We are being saved (present) POWER of SIN: >>> 1 Cor 1:18; 1 Cor 15: 1-2; 2Cor 2:15; 1 Peter 1:8-9...walk in the Spirit

3. We will be saved (future): PRESENCE of Sin >>>Romans 8:22-23; Philippians 3:20-21; 1 Cor 15:38-49...New Heavens + New Earth

1. Does this doctrine help solve the issue of: SAVING FAITH...versus...FOLLOWING "GOOD WORKS?

2. Can this doctrine be viewed as "Progressive SALVATION"

• Agree
Reactions: kepha31
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Conclusion
Sanctification takes a lifetime. We will never be completely perfected until that day of His return. We must resist temptation, flee from sin, press on, take hold, have a goal, strain toward, and read the Word of God. These allow the Holy Spirit to work in us, with us, and through us by cooperating and being proactive to avoid sinning against God. We are told to be a living sacrifice. The only problem with being a living sacrifice is that it can crawl off the altar. Paul gives us a fitting conclusion: “I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Rom 12:1-2).

REF: What is Sanctification? A Bible Study

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Conclusion
Sanctification takes a lifetime. We will never be completely perfected until that day of His return. We must resist temptation, flee from sin, press on, take hold, have a goal, strain toward, and read the Word of God. These allow the Holy Spirit to work in us, with us, and through us by cooperating and being proactive to avoid sinning against God. We are told to be a living sacrifice. The only problem with being a living sacrifice is that it can crawl off the altar. Paul gives us a fitting conclusion: “I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Rom 12:1-2).

REF: What is Sanctification? A Bible Study
Good work, Ron. I may quibble about a few minor things, but I appreciate posts that have a lot of thought and effort.

1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.39

1995 The Holy Spirit is the master of the interior life. By giving birth to the "inner man,"44 justification entails the sanctification of his whole being:

1999 The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life, infused by the Holy Spirit into our soul to heal it of sin and to sanctify it. It is the sanctifying or deifying grace received in Baptism. It is in us the source of the work of sanctification:48

2000 Sanctifying grace is an habitual gift, a stable and supernatural disposition that perfects the soul itself to enable it to live with God, to act by his love. Habitual grace, the permanent disposition to live and act in keeping with God's call, is distinguished from actual graces which refer to God's interventions, whether at the beginning of conversion or in the course of the work of sanctification.

2001 The preparation of man for the reception of grace is already a work of grace. This latter is needed to arouse and sustain our collaboration in justification through faith, and in sanctification through charity. God brings to completion in us what he has begun, "since he who completes his work by cooperating with our will began by working so that we might will it:"50
Therefore if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself.49
Just as you once yielded your members to impurity and to greater and greater iniquity, so now yield your members to righteousness for sanctification. . . . But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the return you get is sanctification and its end, eternal life.45
Catechism of the Catholic Church - Grace and justification

I think we use a different language, but the meaning is essentially the the same.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was Protestant for 27 years before becoming Catholic and I remember there being no single Protestant take on Sanctification. The Wesleyan view on Sanctification seems to be the same as the Catholic view (IOW Anglican, Methodist, Nazarene, Church of God--Indiana, etc.). Other evangelical churches I attended just sort of ignored Sanctification altogether. I don't remember any classes or sermons on it at Calvary Chapel or the Baptist church that I attended.

Catholic teaching goes like this:

When we first become Christians, we receive imputed righteousness, like snow covering the cow manure, we appear holy to God. But underneath that snow is still manure.

Sanctification is the slow metamorphosis of the manure into something holy and Christ-like and eventually perfect and ready to enter heaven. We believe that whatever part of this promise is not completed in this world, will be completed in the next (this view is uniquely Catholic, except for High Church Anglicans).

This Sanctification is achieved through many means: prayer, worship, the sacraments, study of the Word, Obedience to God, God's discipline and our suffering (either directly in relationship for our sin, or indirectly), etc. All of this proceeds from Grace, which is free and unearned.

Thanks for starting this thread. I apologize for my tardiness in coming to it late, but I have been busy. I am sure we all know how that is.

I think Ron Gurley has given an excellent presentation thus far and I will chime in from time to time to add my two cents' worth if I think it will further the discussion.

You are correct about the Wesleyan (Holiness) denominations being focused on sanctification. I think they went overboard on it with the idea that one can become utterly incapable of sin while in this body. As a result, the other denominations shied away from any discussion about it. In the same way, Pentecostalism went overboard on the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Holy Spirit so that most other denominations neglected that aspect of Christian theology.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.

Here, I believe, is the primary difference between Protestant and Catholic understandings of sanctification. The Catholic Church conflates justification and sanctification. The Bible presents them as being separate and distinct acts of God's grace.

Even as Abraham was justified forever when he believed God, so his sanctification began at that point and he faced a wide range of sins. Was he perfectly sanctified while on this earth? Obviously not. Did he ever cease to be justified following his initial belief? Obviously not.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Justification"

justification...Greek 1347...dikaiosis...
I.the act of God declaring men free from guilt and acceptable to him (saved!)
II.abjuring to be righteous

Just-if-I-never sinned!...a legal defense!

(IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS: Jesus took our SIN! We receive His RIGHTEOUSNESS!)

2 Corinthians 5:21
He (God the Father) made Him (God the Son) who knew no sin (the SINLESS ONE!) to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God IN Him.

Romans 4:25
He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of (FOR!) our justification.

Romans 5:16
The GIFT is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression (A&E?) resulting in condemnation,
but on the other hand the "free gift" arose from many transgressions resulting in "justification".

Romans 5:18
So then as through one transgression (A&E?) there resulted condemnation to all men,
even so through one act of righteousness (sacrifice?)
there resulted justification of life to all men.

Q1: Saved from what?
A1: eternal spiritual separation from God in the "lake of fire"

Q2: Saved for what? in this lifetime?
A2: Sanctification PROCESS: BEING "SET ASIDE": spiritually becoming MATURE IN Jesus the Christ.
comforted and guided by the permanently indwelling God the Holy Spirit into the will of God..."good spiritual works".

Q3: Saved for what ultimately,
A3: eternal spiritual presence with the TRI-UNE GOD at death of Body/Soul in the heavenly realms.
FINALLY: WITH GOD for eternity in the NEW:heavens+earth+Jerusalem. Revelation!

Romans 5:1-11...The spiritual Results of Justification
Therefore, since we are "justified by faith",
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand;
and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God.
And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings,
knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character,
and character produces hope,
and hope does not disappoint us,
because God's love has been poured into our hearts
through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died FOR the ungodly.
Indeed, rarely will anyone die FOR a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die.
But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died FOR us.
Much more surely then, now that we have been "justified by his blood",
will we be saved through him from the wrath of God.
For if while we were enemies, we were "reconciled to God" THROUGH the death of his Son,
much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved (sanctified)by his life.
But more than that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received "reconciliation".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Here, I believe, is the primary difference between Protestant and Catholic understandings of sanctification. The Catholic Church conflates justification and sanctification. The Bible presents them as being separate and distinct acts of God's grace.
It is always very irritating when a person says "So and so's views are X but the Bible's views are Y" as if So and So doesn't also base their view on the Bible. It's arrogant, and bad form in a forum. When I read it, I close my ears to what the other person is saying because I've just been insulted. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Consider saying it this way, "The Catholic Church conflates justification and sanctification. In Protestant thinking they are separate and distinct acts of God's grace." If you can do that, we can have a conversation.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is always very irritating when a person says "So and so's views are X but the Bible's views are Y" as if So and So doesn't also base their view on the Bible. It's arrogant, and bad form in a forum. .
On the other hand, we've had a batch of Sola Scriptura threads lately (mainly critical of it), and in each one of them Catholic posters insisted that there is divine truth that the church is right to make into doctrine...and that it comes from something other than the Bible.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The CC sees justification and sanctification as closely related, but not conflated and not separate and distinct. That's "either/or" thinking, (Calvin is notorious for false dichotomies) not Biblical/Hebraic "both/and" thinking.

1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.39 (being inseparable doe not mean collapsed into one)
1990 Justification detaches man from sin which contradicts the love of God, and purifies his heart of sin. Justification follows upon God's merciful initiative of offering forgiveness. It reconciles man with God. It frees from the enslavement to sin, and it heals.
1991 Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or "justice") here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.
1992 Justification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men...
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins; it was to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies him who has faith in Jesus.41
1993 Justification establishes cooperation between God's grace and man's freedom. On man's part it is expressed by the assent of faith to the Word of God, which invites him to conversion, and in the cooperation of charity with the prompting of the Holy Spirit who precedes and preserves his assent:
When God touches man's heart through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, man himself is not inactive while receiving that inspiration, since he could reject it; and yet, without God's grace, he cannot by his own free will move himself toward justice in God's sight.42 (so much for the chronic "works" accusation)
1994 Justification is the most excellent work of God's love made manifest in Christ Jesus and granted by the Holy Spirit. It is the opinion of St. Augustine that "the justification of the wicked is a greater work than the creation of heaven and earth," because "heaven and earth will pass away but the salvation and justification of the elect . . . will not pass away."43 He holds also that the justification of sinners surpasses the creation of the angels in justice, in that it bears witness to a greater mercy.
1995 The Holy Spirit is the master of the interior life. By giving birth to the "inner man,"44 justification entails the sanctification of his whole being:
Just as you once yielded your members to impurity and to greater and greater iniquity, so now yield your members to righteousness for sanctification. . . . But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the return you get is sanctification and its end, eternal life.45
1999 The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life, infused by the Holy Spirit into our soul to heal it of sin and to sanctify it. It is the sanctifying or deifying grace received in Baptism. It is in us the source of the work of sanctification:48
Therefore if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself.49
2000 Sanctifying grace is an habitual gift, a stable and supernatural disposition that perfects the soul itself to enable it to live with God, to act by his love. Habitual grace, the permanent disposition to live and act in keeping with God's call, is distinguished from actual graces which refer to God's interventions, whether at the beginning of conversion or in the course of the work of sanctification.
2001 The preparation of man for the reception of grace is already a work of grace. This latter is needed to arouse and sustain our collaboration in justification through faith, and in sanctification through charity. God brings to completion in us what he has begun, "since he who completes his work by cooperating with our will began by working so that we might will it:"50
We see that justification and sanctification are closely related, but they are not collapsed into one.
Even as Abraham was justified forever when he believed God, so his sanctification began at that point and he faced a wide range of sins. Was he perfectly sanctified while on this earth? Obviously not. Did he ever cease to be justified following his initial belief? Obviously not.
No, but his justification was a process over time.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
On the other hand, we've had a batch of Sola Scriptura threads lately (mainly critical of it), and in each one of them Catholic posters insisted that there is divine truth that the church is right to make into doctrine...and that it comes from something other than the Bible.
Name one verse that says all doctrines, practices, devotions or whatever must be explicitly found in the Bible to be trustworthy. While you are straining to find this man made doctrine, name a Catholic doctrine that is not explicit or inferred in some way with the Bible, or invented apart from the deposit of faith.
there is divine truth that the church is right to make into doctrine...and that it comes from something other than the Bible.
Quote these alleged Catholics instead of making things up.

40653255.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The CC sees justification and sanctification as closely related, but not conflated and not separate and distinct. That's "either/or" thinking, (Calvin is notorious for false dichotomies) not Biblical/Hebraic "both/and" thinking.

1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.39 (being inseparable doe not mean collapsed into one)
1990 Justification detaches man from sin which contradicts the love of God, and purifies his heart of sin. Justification follows upon God's merciful initiative of offering forgiveness. It reconciles man with God. It frees from the enslavement to sin, and it heals.
1991 Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or "justice") here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.
1992 Justification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men...
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins; it was to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies him who has faith in Jesus.41
1993 Justification establishes cooperation between God's grace and man's freedom. On man's part it is expressed by the assent of faith to the Word of God, which invites him to conversion, and in the cooperation of charity with the prompting of the Holy Spirit who precedes and preserves his assent:
When God touches man's heart through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, man himself is not inactive while receiving that inspiration, since he could reject it; and yet, without God's grace, he cannot by his own free will move himself toward justice in God's sight.42 (so much for the chronic "works" accusation)
1994 Justification is the most excellent work of God's love made manifest in Christ Jesus and granted by the Holy Spirit. It is the opinion of St. Augustine that "the justification of the wicked is a greater work than the creation of heaven and earth," because "heaven and earth will pass away but the salvation and justification of the elect . . . will not pass away."43 He holds also that the justification of sinners surpasses the creation of the angels in justice, in that it bears witness to a greater mercy.
We see that justification and sanctification are closely related, but they are not collapsed into one.
No, but his justification was a process over time.

Thank you for your excellent reply. I think you have stated the understanding of the Catholic Church quite faithfully and accurately.

The conundrum, of course, is that justification and sanctification are two different words in Greek with two different meanings, even as salt and pepper carry different meaning, although both are considered to be spices.

It was not Calvin who came up with this idea, but the Apostle Paul. Read, pleasel, what he wrote in Romans 4 -

4:1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 4 Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven,
And whose sins have been covered.
8 “Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account.”

9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, “Faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.” 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised.

13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if those who are of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified; 15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

16 For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, “A father of many nations have I made you”) in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. 18 In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah’s womb; 20 yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. 22 Therefore it was also credited to him as righteousness. 23 Now not for his sake only was it written that it was credited to him, 24 but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25 He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't recall writing anything about sanctification and justification being the same thing. Failure to use the quote feature is a big no-no, so I would appreciate my posts not being misrepresented. I'll pass this off as a mistake because you are not in the habit of doing this.

By glancing over your wall of scriptures, you want to discuss justification by faith, justification by faith alone, instant justification, unjust justification, and drive-through justification. :)

Whether a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone depends on what sense the term “faith” is being used in. If it is being used to refer to unformed faith then a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone (which is the point James is making in James 2:19, as every non-antinomian Evangelical agrees; one is not justified by intellectual belief alone).

However, if the term “faith” is being used to refer to faith formed by charity then the Catholic does not have to condemn the idea of justification by faith alone. In fact, in traditional works of Catholic theology, one regularly encounters the statement that formed faith is justifying faith. If one has formed faith, one is justified. Period.

A Catholic would thus reject the idea of justification sola fide informi (not formed in Charity) but wholeheartedly embrace the idea of justification sola fide formata. (formed in charity) Adding the word “formed” to clarify the nature of the faith in “sola fide” renders the doctrine completely acceptable to a Catholic.
So Trent does not condemn the (better) Protestant understanding of faith alone. In fact, the canon allows the formula to be used so long as it is not used so as to understand that nothing besides intellectual assent is required. The canon only condemns “sola fide” if it is used “so as to understand that nothing else [besides intellectual assent] is required” to attain justification. Thus Trent is only condemning one interpretation of the sola fide formula and not the formula itself.

Justification by Faith Alone

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't recall writing anything about sanctification and justification being the same thing. Failure to use the quote feature is a big no-no, so I would appreciate my posts not being misrepresented. I'll pass this off as a mistake because you are not in the habit of doing this.

By glancing over your wall of scriptures, you want to discuss justification by faith, justification by faith alone, instant justification, unjust justification, and drive-through justification. :)

Whether a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone depends on what sense the term “faith” is being used in. If it is being used to refer to unformed faith then a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone (which is the point James is making in James 2:19, as every non-antinomian Evangelical agrees; one is not justified by intellectual belief alone).

However, if the term “faith” is being used to refer to faith formed by charity then the Catholic does not have to condemn the idea of justification by faith alone. In fact, in traditional works of Catholic theology, one regularly encounters the statement that formed faith is justifying faith. If one has formed faith, one is justified. Period.

A Catholic would thus reject the idea of justification sola fide informi (not formed in Charity) but wholeheartedly embrace the idea of justification sola fide formata. (formed in charity) Adding the word “formed” to clarify the nature of the faith in “sola fide” renders the doctrine completely acceptable to a Catholic.
So Trent does not condemn the (better) Protestant understanding of faith alone. In fact, the canon allows the formula to be used so long as it is not used so as to understand that nothing besides intellectual assent is required. The canon only condemns “sola fide” if it is used “so as to understand that nothing else [besides intellectual assent] is required” to attain justification. Thus Trent is only condemning one interpretation of the sola fide formula and not the formula itself.

Justification by Faith Alone

You are correct. You did not write that. The author(s) of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which you quoted at length, wrote this choice paragraph -

1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are correct. You did not write that. The author(s) of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which you quoted at length, wrote this choice paragraph -

They are distinct but related. " the remission of sins" is not the same definition as "renewal of the interior man." They are distinct but related so it is not as simple as you want it to be. Claiming the Church says justification and sanctification is the same is a non sequitur fallacy.
"...but also..." does not mean they are the same.
There is no such thing as a choice paragraph. All paragraphs are part of an organic whole. Focusing on one paragraph always misses the point, and using the catechism as a weapon against the Church is a sin.
How about you compose one sentence with the words justification and sanctification in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They are distinct but related. " the remission of sins" is not the same definition as "renewal of the interior man." They are distinct but related so it is not as simple as you want it to be. Claiming the Church says justification and sanctification is the same is a non sequitur fallacy.
There is no such thing as a choice paragraph. All paragraphs are part of an organic whole. Focusing on one paragraph always misses the point, and using the catechism as a weapon against the Church is a sin.
How about you compose one sentence with the words justification and sanctification in it.

Salt and pepper are distinct, but related. Pity the poor cook who uses one in a recipe when the other is called for!

Sin and forgiveness are also closely related to each other. The list is endless.

The fact that things are related to each other does not mean that they are identical to each other. What the Catechism of the Catholic Church does, however, is conflate justification and sanctification. It states quite clearly - "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man." In other words, "Justification is the sanctification and renewal of the interior man." No where in scripture do any of the writers confuse justification with sanctification. They are two different, albeit related, ideas. The first, justification, is an act whereby God declares the sinner to be just in His sight and free from the penalty of sin forever even as the completed work of Jesus Christ in His death, burial and resurrection is done, once and for all who believe. Sanctification, on the other hand, is an on-going work which begins at the moment of justiication in which the believer experiences God's gracious work in delivering him from the very presence of sin in his life.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is a forum, not a course in English Grammar 101. I can't break down "but also" into minute components just because it doesn't say what you want it to say. If you insist the catechism says justification and sanctification are the same it's because you are illiterate, or read it with blind prejudice.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Here is not only one sentence with justification and sanctification in it, but three for your edification.

Both justification and sanctification are graces of the gospel; they always accompany one another; and they deal with the sinner’s sin, but they differ in some important ways. First, whereas justification addresses the guilt of our sin, sanctification addresses the dominion and corruption of sin in our lives. Justification is God’s declaring the sinner righteous; sanctification is God’s renewing and transforming our whole persons—our minds, wills, affections, and behaviors.

Upvote 0