Salvation depends not on human will nor exertion, but it depends on God Only (Romans 9:16).

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that the King James Version of the Bible is the ONLY translation which is not copywrited?

It is the one I use. That eliminates your question of whose denomination's Bible do I use. NONE!

Now I can not help but wonder WHY you would purposefully distort/change/twist my words.

You just said.......
"What you mean is "if it doesn't agree with my interpretation of the Bible...."?

I said in comment #86 which you pasted............
"If it had been a million years and did not agree with the Bible, then it would still be wrong!"

My dear friend, I have NO personal interpretation of Bible Scriptures. When I post an exegesis of Scriptures YOU are welcome to reject it. You also have my personal invitation to repost the Scripture with what YOU think the Scripture said to you. MY comments will be based on the totality and context of Scriptures and yours will be based on what the RCC has told you to believe.

But to say that I have "MY Interpretation" is simply not a truthful comment as such a thing does not exist.

I stand by what I said. You simply did not understand it. Let's try to break it down:

Let's take the Lord's Supper, or Holy Communion. You will probably say that the Bible teaches that it is a memorial meal only. That there is nothing more there than a remembrance of Christ's Passion.

Yet a Lutheran would disagree with you, and base his statement on the Bible also, going to John 6 and showing you that the Bible says that you must "eat the Flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His blood."

You might say that grape juice and crackers (yes, I have seen this in a Fundamentalist assembly where they are deathly afraid of wine!!) is fine for Communion, and perhaps even try to again refer to the Bible as your justification for this. A Catholic or Holy Orthodox person would greatly disagree with you.

As for the Lutheran, he would say that the proper understanding of Holy Communion is Consubstantiation, where a Catholic would teach Transubstantiation and you would probably say that there is no such thing as the Real Presence.

And then there are whole issues of Christ's nature and being. Two natures in one Person or one divine nature overriding the human nature? The Bible is mute on that, isn't it?

Are you getting my point. You cannot just say "the Bible teaches thus and such" because the minute you do, you are interpreting the Scriptures, and you find yourself in disagreement with many others who will also say the "the Bible teaches so and so" and yet totally disagree with you.

How then do you find what the Bible teaches?

I will be interested in your answer. Thank you!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Light of the East, post: 72159920, member: 336257"]You cannot just say "the Bible teaches thus and such" because the minute you do, you are interpreting the Scriptures, and you find yourself in disagreement with many others who will also say the "the Bible teaches so and so" and yet totally disagree with you.
I will be interested in your answer. Thank you![/QUOTE====================================
HOW
did the Apostles teach Scripture accurately, with power testifying God's Way?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God is multi-faceted just as humans are multi-faceted and created in his image.??

Here is "GOD" of the Bible and spirit-led writings
which refect His "meaning" and nature and SPIRITUAL essence and character and attributes.

1. Existent (Spirit Being)
2. Unified (not in different parts)
3. Simple...Holy...Righteous...perfectly Good...pure
4. Infinite (no Beginning, no End)
5. Eternal (beyond limits of time and space)
6. Unchanging and unchangeable CHARACTER (immutable)
7. All Present (spiritually everywhere and available)...omnipresent
8. All Sovereign (rules over/in complete control of {as He directs all things vs. all}
9. All Knowing (Omniscience...perfect wisdom)
10.All powerful (Omnipotence...God Almighty)
11.Perfectly JUST (fairness in His JUDGMENT of ALL SPIRITS)
12.Perfectly LOVING / Merciful (God IS Love;undeserved help for the afflicted)
13.Perfectly TRUE / Truthful (always truth-telling, inerrant)
14.Perfectly FREE (from sin and unrestricted power
15.Perfectly Separate (to mark off from others by boundaries)

By spiritually discerning Scripture, three spiritual Persons...a TRI-UNE GOD... were revealed.
Each had different NAMES, titles, roles, ranks, functions, etc.
Yet there was ONE "GOD" unified in spiritual essence, nature, and pre-existence.
They became known by the early "church" fathers and through spirit-led revelation as:
1. God the Father: associated with NAMES above, Creative Father, Loving Father, "our Father"
2. God the Holy Spirit: named the Spirit of Truth, enpowering and dwelling with the spirit of Man
3. God the Son: Jesus of Nazareth, Divine Messiah, THE Christ, Son of God, Son of Man, ETC
with a DUAL NATURE:
1. True perfect and sinless Man / New Adam...flesh of Man
2. True Diety sent down from heaven to save Man

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I stand by what I said. You simply did not understand it. Let's try to break it down:

Let's take the Lord's Supper, or Holy Communion. You will probably say that the Bible teaches that it is a memorial meal only. That there is nothing more there than a remembrance of Christ's Passion.

Yet a Lutheran would disagree with you, and base his statement on the Bible also, going to John 6 and showing you that the Bible says that you must "eat the Flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His blood."

You might say that grape juice and crackers (yes, I have seen this in a Fundamentalist assembly where they are deathly afraid of wine!!) is fine for Communion, and perhaps even try to again refer to the Bible as your justification for this. A Catholic or Holy Orthodox person would greatly disagree with you.

As for the Lutheran, he would say that the proper understanding of Holy Communion is Consubstantiation, where a Catholic would teach Transubstantiation and you would probably say that there is no such thing as the Real Presence.

And then there are whole issues of Christ's nature and being. Two natures in one Person or one divine nature overriding the human nature? The Bible is mute on that, isn't it?

Are you getting my point. You cannot just say "the Bible teaches thus and such" because the minute you do, you are interpreting the Scriptures, and you find yourself in disagreement with many others who will also say the "the Bible teaches so and so" and yet totally disagree with you.

Good questions and I will be more that happy to respond to you.

As A Bible believer, all I can do is accept and follow what it says. That is the starting point for me and It makes NO difference to me what a Lutheran, Or Catholic or Baptist or anything else says, IT IS ONLY what the Scriptures say. That being said.....You are correct. I can not accept Transubstantiation as is it NOT taught in the Scriptures.

Transubstantiation is solely a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catechism of the Catholic Church defined this doctrine in section 1376.

That says that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that once an ordained priest blesses the bread of the Lord's Supper, it is transformed into the actual flesh of Christ; and when he blesses the wine, it is transformed into the actual blood of Christ. Is such a concept biblical? It is not.

Now, can anyone take Bible verses and MAKE them say that? YES THEY CAN!

The Scriptures most frequently used to do that is John 6:32-58 and especially verses 53-57........ “Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life … For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him … so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.’”

Myself and those who reject the idea of transubstantiation interpret Jesus’ words in John 6:53-57 as figuratively or symbolically. SO then, WHO is correct??
How can we know which interpretation is correct?

Thankfully, Jesus made it exceedingly obvious what He meant. Jn. 6:63 declares.......
“The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.”

Jesus specifically stated that His words are “spirit.” Jesus was using physical concepts, eating and drinking, to teach spiritual truth.
Just as consuming physical food and drink sustains our physical bodies, so are our spiritual lives saved and built up by spiritually receiving Him, by grace through faith. Eating Jesus’ flesh and drinking His blood are symbols of fully and completely receiving Him in our lives.

The Scriptures declare that the Lord's Supper is a memorial to the body and blood of Christ in Luke 22:19 and 1 Corth. 11:24-25 and not the actual consumption of His physical body and blood. When Jesus was speaking in John chapter 6, Jesus had not yet had the Last Supper with His disciples, in which He instituted the Lord’s Supper. To read the Lord’s Supper / Christian Communion back into John chapter 6 is unwarranted and not correct exegesis.

Then you stated..........
"And then there are whole issues of Christ's nature and being. Two natures in one Person or one divine nature overriding the human nature? The Bible is mute on that, isn't it?"

Again, I can not agree with you and what you are saying is not Biblical. It may be denominational teaching and in fact the Jehovah Witnesses and Christian Science people believe what you staed.

YOU and everyone else needs to understand this BASIC Christian teaching that comes from the Word of God. Jesus IS THE Christ and He is the most important person who has ever lived since he is the Savior, God in human flesh. If He wasn't then YOU and me my friend are not saved from our sin and we are going to the lake of fire.

Jesus is not half God and half man. He is fully divine and fully man. He is 100% God and 100% man. That means Jesus has two distinct NATURES: divine and human. Jesus is the Word who was God and was with God and was made flesh.

John 1:1 says............
"In the beginning was the Word and the Word WAS with God and the Word WAS God".

John 1:14...................
"And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

Whether YOU personally accept that and believe that is completely up to you because your rejection does not remove that as Bible fact. What this actually means Biblically and theologically is that in the single person of Jesus he has both a human and divine nature, God and man. The divine nature was not changed when the Word became flesh just as the Scriptures tell us.

Instead, the Word was joined with humanity as Paul confirms in Col. 2:9..........

"For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily!"

Is that what YOUR Bible says my friend????

Jesus' divine nature was not altered. Also, Jesus is not merely a man who "had God within Him," nor is he a man who "manifested the God principle." He is God in flesh, second person of the Trinity.

Hebrews 1:3 goes on to verify exactly that when it says.....
"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Jesus' two natures are not "mixed together" as is taught by Eutychianism, nor are they combined into a new God-man nature ( as taught by Monophysitism.

They are separate yet act as a unit in the one person of Jesus. This is called the HYPOSTATIC UNION.

So you see, MY understanding is based in the Bible and NOT in any denomination theology. Thanks for asking and I hope this helps your understanding.

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To allow a consequence to happen is not the same as afflicting a person. Man may see it this way, but we are limited in how we view things.

For instance, if I as a parent tell my child not to stick a fork in the electrical socket, and he does it anyway, is the result that happens to that child something I did? If man acts in a certain way and brings upon himself a consequence, is that something that God did? Or is is man reaping the consequence of his actions?
Rubbish. None of this is supported by Scripture since you provide no citations from the Bible.

Thus, the alleged distinction between "consequences" and "God afflicting somebody" has no reality at all in terms of Scripture.

According to Romans 13 all earthly authorities are God ordained, which implies that our criminal justice system is also God ordained - Not simply a social construct, which was contrived by humans without God's authority.

Now, the purpose of the criminal justice system (and the criminal code) is to facilitate consequences when you do something wrong; but such consequences are always underpinned by beliefs and values, which are political agendas: Such as to punish criminals, vengeance for the bereaved, to name and shame offenders, and to deter would be offenders etc.

Thus, it is a fallacy to presume that the "criminal justice system is only concerned about the consequences of crime, which are not in anyway underpinned by political agendas".

Also, we know that the criminal justice system was created by God in conjunction with humans, and also created in God's image, according to Romans 1:20.

Thus, it is patently false to assume that the CJS has everything to do with the consequences of crime, but nothing to do with the political agendas which underpins such consequences.

That sin would always entail consequences doesn't mean to say that God doesn't also have the intention to punish sinners, nor does it mean that such punishment is never underpinned by vengeance (or retribution) against those who have offended God.

But the idea of "consequences in the absence of motivation" is clearly a cult ideology, which has no place whatsoever in the Mainstream of Christianity.

Therefore, God is vengeful, punitive and retributive, in accordance with Sacred Scripture; and there's no way that you can refute the evidence of Scripture. Nahum 1:2, Deuteronomy 6:15, 32:35, Jeremiah 25:33, Romans 12:19, and 2 Thessalonians 1:9.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Christ is the Supreme Authority in regards to the interpretation of Scripture. Jesus is the One and only True Authority, according to Matthew 28:18.

Since Jesus is "God himself in the flesh"; and thereby, the Authority of Christ is directly from God the Father in heaven. John 5:23, 5:30, 6:38, 7:16, 10:30, 14:7, Hebrews 1:3, Colossians 1:15

Problem solved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ is the Supreme Authority in regards to the interpretation of Scripture. Jesus is the One and only True Authority, according to Matthew 28:18.

Since Jesus is "God himself in the flesh"; and thereby, the Authority of Christ is directly from God the Father in heaven. John 5:23, 5:30, 6:38, 7:16, 10:30, 14:7, Hebrews 1:3, Colossians 1:15

Problem solved.

Hebrews 8:6 ..........
" But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. "

Jesus is greater than the Old Testament system. He both encompasses and supersedes the old way of doing things. This is evident in the many comparisons of Jesus to Old Testament roles and rituals.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
QUOTE="Light of the East, post: 72159920, member: 336257"]You cannot just say "the Bible teaches thus and such" because the minute you do, you are interpreting the Scriptures, and you find yourself in disagreement with many others who will also say the "the Bible teaches so and so" and yet totally disagree with you.
I will be interested in your answer. Thank you![/QUOTE====================================
HOW
did the Apostles teach Scripture accurately, with power testifying God's Way?

They taught what they learned at the feet of the Master. Simple answer.

And since the next generation taught such things as baptismal regeneration, baptism of infants, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and other distinct truths which belong to Holy Orthodoxy, we know that these are the things that Jesus taught them.

Honestly, to say that one only believes in what is in the Scriptures is to limit Jesus to speaking only when the Scriptures say He spoke. Are you seriously believing that everything that He taught which was not written down word for word is of no value, doctrine, or consequence? The Scriptures state many times that Jesus went away with His disciples and taught them, but gives absolutely not clue as to what He said in those moments. We therefore trust that the things that the Apostles taught to the next generation give further and fuller definition to that which we see in Scripture.

For instance, in response to a post earlier in which Major 1 declares that the Eucharist is not the Body and Blood of Christ. John 6 says that the disciples were confused and some greatly upset when Jesus said to them "Unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His Blood, ye have not life." Are you saying that at no time did Peter or John or any of the others not say "Lord, please explain this to us more fully." Are you saying that Jesus spoke in language that seemed confusing but never cleared things up for those who would be entrusted to lead the Church after His Ascension?

Do you realize what a preposterous assumption that is? Or that the promise of John 16: 13 would not guide them after Pentecost?

Jhn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

No, of course you don't think that. You think that the Church apostatized almost before the vapor trails of His Ascension cleared, don't you? You think that the truth was hidden until your group of people found it out in the 20th century and got it right, don't you?

And the funny thing (hilarious really) is to watch all you non-Orthodox people make the same claims that your particular group found the "hidden truth" or the "truth that was buried in paganism for centuries" and proclaim it to the world while at the same time, you cannot even agree with each other.

Holy Orthodoxy has the truth because they have not followed Rome into her Medieval errors nor have they jettisoned what the Early Fathers taught in favor of some "new and improved" kind of Christianity in which some 20th century guy "found the truth hidden for ages" and published "The Pearl of Great Price" or the "Westminster Confession of Faith."

The problem you have is that you really don't trust that God could guide His Church by the Holy Spirit and keep it from error, do you? But I would bet you believe that He has guided you into all the truth without error, do you not? Spoke or unspoken, that is the inference of all who are not in the Apostolic Church of Holy Orthodoxy - we found the truth and the Apostles missed it (or didn't communicate it clearly, thus opening the doors for error).

I agree with one Early Father (Augustine, I think) who said that it was the Church that compelled him to believe. And placing my faith in the Church and the guidance of the Holy Spirit relieves me of the distress and confusion of looking at so many different doctrines, all claiming to be of the Bible and led of the Spirit, and trying desperately to figure out which one is truth. I am not smart enough for that, but I am smart enough to put my faith in God's hand leading the Church and not individual sinful men.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Problem solved.

Problem not solved, sir!

The heretic Arias was the very first "sola scriptura" guy. He based all his heretical teachings on the Scriptures he had.

Christ gave His authority to the Apostles, as well as His promise that the Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth (John 16:13). Now unless you can prove to me that this promise was also given to you in the Upper Room, then you are just as subject to error as I am (and I have made a TON of errors in 30 years of following Christ, mostly by believing men instead of the Church which Christ founded upon the Apostles.)

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now unless you can prove to me that this promise was also given to you in the Upper Room, then you are just as subject to error as I am (and I have made a TON of errors in 30 years of following Christ, mostly by believing men instead of the Church which Christ founded upon the Apostles.)
John 5:23 - He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

John 6:38 - For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

John 7:16 - My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.

John 10:30 - I and My Father are one.

John 14:7 - “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”

Since I am Christ, my Judgement or interpretation of Scripture is infallible.

But it is simply wishful thinking on your part to deny that I am the SON OF GOD - Since you are guilty of breaking the Covenant of Christ, and you know that there is no redemption for anyone who rejects the covenant. Hebrews 6:4

Problem solved - Since Christ has the Most Supreme Authority which trumps any authority given to the Apostles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The violation of the covenant standard results in a consequence. This consequence has been called "hell" by many, and that is a good enough term to use. So I am in full agreement that covenant breakers receive consequence. What I disagree with is the nature of the consequence. Is it eternal, punitive, and retributive? Does an angry Father get His "pound of flesh" forever? Or is it of the nature of correction as a father would do with a child?
Disagree?

Then, you are in contradiction with Scripture. Since 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 makes it clear that the Final Judgement is eternal, punitive, and retributive:-

6 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, 7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Now, contrary to the doctrine of universal salvation, "everlasting destruction" implies eternal judgement and oblivion for those who have failed the Judgement. Matthew 25:41, 46, Revelation 20:15, 21:8

So, you may well disagree, but there is no way that you can argue against the Authority of Scripture. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9

PS. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that hell has a "corrective" purpose - Since this is something which your "church" has made up, but it has no authority as far as Scripture goes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Major1, Good questions and I will be more that happy to respond to you.

As A Bible believer, all I can do is accept and follow what it says. That is the starting point for me and It makes NO difference to me what a Lutheran, Or Catholic or Baptist or anything else says, IT IS ONLY what the Scriptures say.

"This IS my Body...This IS my Blood. Seems they are very, very clear about the fact that the bread and wine were changed into the Body and Blood of our Lord."

That being said.....You are correct. I can not accept Transubstantiation as is it NOT taught in the Scriptures.

First of all, I am not Roman Catholic, so I don't discuss Transubstantiation. I am Orthodox. We believe the same thing, except we refer to the change in the bread and wine as "The Holy Mysteries." We don't try to define everything in the scholastic manner that the Roman Church has done.

That said, I just showed you that Jesus Himself said "This is my Body." Your argument is not with me.

Transubstantiation is solely a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catechism of the Catholic Church defined this doctrine in section 1376.

That says that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that once an ordained priest blesses the bread of the Lord's Supper, it is transformed into the actual flesh of Christ; and when he blesses the wine, it is transformed into the actual blood of Christ. Is such a concept biblical? It is not.

The Scriptures most frequently used to do that is John 6:32-58 and especially verses 53-57........ “Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life … For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him … so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.’”

Myself and those who reject the idea of transubstantiation interpret Jesus’ words in John 6:53-57 as figuratively or symbolically. SO then, WHO is correct??

That is not what Jesus was saying there. You are using this as an excuse not to believe. Lets look at the verse you are using for your defense:

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

What Jesus is saying here is that the flesh, i.e., those who are hearing with the ears of the flesh, cannot understand this. Those who hear with the ears of the Spirit of God will understand that He meant exactly what He said.

This is why the Apostles taught that the Eucharist is His Flesh and Blood, because they were being led and taught by the Spirit of God as promised in John 16:13. Do you not think it odd that for 1500 years, this was the standard understanding until the Protestant Reformation came along and denied it? There was NO UNDERSTANDING like that of Protestantism for 1500 years. That alone should cause you to have serious pause. Was the Church wrong for 1500 years until the Protestants corrected them? If so, what happened to the promise of John 16:13? Was it just -- *poof* -- so much thin air and smoke?

By following the Church and what She has taught since the very beginning. Are you smarter than 2,000 years of Christians? I certainly am not, and I study the Early Fathers now constantly to be corrected.

Thankfully, Jesus made it exceedingly obvious what He meant. Jn. 6:63 declares.......
“The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.”

Jesus specifically stated that His words are “spirit.” Jesus was using physical concepts, eating and drinking, to teach spiritual truth.
Just as consuming physical food and drink sustains our physical bodies, so are our spiritual lives saved and built up by spiritually receiving Him, by grace through faith. Eating Jesus’ flesh and drinking His blood are symbols of fully and completely receiving Him in our lives.

Not at all. To have Christ's very own energies enter into us is what gives us life. Life does not come from merely having good thoughts about God. The devils have good thoughts (i.e. correct doctrine) about God and Christ and they have not life. True life comes from UNION WITH CHRIST, not from intellectualism. This is the teaching of the Church and it is correct. No union, no life. Union is real, not intellectual. It is sustained by His very energies uniting to ours to empower us. And it is a real foretaste of the eternal state and being eternally united to Him.

The Scriptures declare that the Lord's Supper is a memorial to the body and blood of Christ in Luke 22:19 and 1 Corth. 11:24-25 and not the actual consumption of His physical body and blood. When Jesus was speaking in John chapter 6, Jesus had not yet had the Last Supper with His disciples, in which He instituted the Lord’s Supper. To read the Lord’s Supper / Christian Communion back into John chapter 6 is unwarranted and not correct exegesis.

Then why did the Church teach this from the very beginning. You have absolutely NO - and I mean ZERO proof - that the Church had any other understanding than that of the Eucharist being Christ's very Flesh and Blood.

"And then there are whole issues of Christ's nature and being. Two natures in one Person or one divine nature overriding the human nature? The Bible is mute on that, isn't it?"

Again, I can not agree with you and what you are saying is not Biblical. It may be denominational teaching and in fact the Jehovah Witnesses and Christian Science people believe what you staed.

YOU and everyone else needs to understand this BASIC Christian teaching that comes from the Word of God. Jesus IS THE Christ and He is the most important person who has ever lived since he is the Savior, God in human flesh. If He wasn't then YOU and me my friend are not saved from our sin and we are going to the lake of fire.

Jesus is not half God and half man. He is fully divine and fully man. He is 100% God and 100% man. That means Jesus has two distinct NATURES: divine and human. Jesus is the Word who was God and was with God and was made flesh.

That is not the point. The Bible is not at all clear about the natures of Christ and how they exist. If it was clear, the Monophysite, Monothellite, and other heresies regarding His nature would never have come into play. You could have read the Bible and found out about this. It was the Church that defined the proper understanding in councils which were called to combat heresies.

"And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

Whether YOU personally accept that and believe that is completely up to you because your rejection does not remove that as Bible fact. What this actually means Biblically and theologically is that in the single person of Jesus he has both a human and divine nature, God and man. The divine nature was not changed when the Word became flesh just as the Scriptures tell us.

Instead, the Word was joined with humanity as Paul confirms in Col. 2:9..........

Jesus' divine nature was not altered. Also, Jesus is not merely a man who "had God within Him," nor is he a man who "manifested the God principle." He is God in flesh, second person of the Trinity.

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word."

Jesus' two natures are not "mixed together" as is taught by Eutychianism, nor are they combined into a new God-man nature ( as taught by Monophysitism.
They are separate yet act as a unit in the one person of Jesus. This is called the HYPOSTATIC UNION.

So you see, MY understanding is based in the Bible and NOT in any denomination theology. Thanks for asking and I hope this helps your understanding.

Baloney, sir! The Bible is totally without comment on how the two natures of Christ reside in the one, single Body of our Lord. Don't try to tell me that the Bible says anything other than Jesus is the pre-existent Word of the Father. This is special pleading, and it doesn't work with me. You are making claims that were simply unknown to the first four centuries of Christians and had to be worked out in councils, some of which were quite rancorous over these very issues. You are standing on the shoulders of giants when you make these correct statements. They are correct, but they are not anywhere in the Bible! Please don't try to confuse the teaching of Christ's divinity with that of the Hypostatic Union because they are not the same and the HU is not in the Bible anywhere.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Major1, Good questions and I will be more that happy to respond to you.

As A Bible believer, all I can do is accept and follow what it says. That is the starting point for me and It makes NO difference to me what a Lutheran, Or Catholic or Baptist or anything else says, IT IS ONLY what the Scriptures say.

"This IS my Body...This IS my Blood. Seems they are very, very clear about the fact that the bread and wine were changed into the Body and Blood of our Lord."

That being said.....You are correct. I can not accept Transubstantiation as is it NOT taught in the Scriptures.

First of all, I am not Roman Catholic, so I don't discuss Transubstantiation. I am Orthodox. We believe the same thing, except we refer to the change in the bread and wine as "The Holy Mysteries." We don't try to define everything in the scholastic manner that the Roman Church has done.

That said, I just showed you that Jesus Himself said "This is my Body." Your argument is not with me.

That is not what Jesus was saying there. You are using this as an excuse not to believe. Lets look at the verse you are using for your defense:

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

What Jesus is saying here is that the flesh, i.e., those who are hearing with the ears of the flesh, cannot understand this. Those who hear with the ears of the Spirit of God will understand that He meant exactly what He said.

This is why the Apostles taught that the Eucharist is His Flesh and Blood, because they were being led and taught by the Spirit of God as promised in John 16:13. Do you not think it odd that for 1500 years, this was the standard understanding until the Protestant Reformation came along and denied it? There was NO UNDERSTANDING like that of Protestantism for 1500 years. That alone should cause you to have serious pause. Was the Church wrong for 1500 years until the Protestants corrected them? If so, what happened to the promise of John 16:13? Was it just -- *poof* -- so much thin air and smoke?

By following the Church and what She has taught since the very beginning. Are you smarter than 2,000 years of Christians? I certainly am not, and I study the Early Fathers now constantly to be corrected.

Not at all. To have Christ's very own energies enter into us is what gives us life. Life does not come from merely having good thoughts about God. The devils have good thoughts (i.e. correct doctrine) about God and Christ and they have not life. True life comes from UNION WITH CHRIST, not from intellectualism. This is the teaching of the Church and it is correct. No union, no life. Union is real, not intellectual. It is sustained by His very energies uniting to ours to empower us. And it is a real foretaste of the eternal state and being eternally united to Him.

Then why did the Church teach this from the very beginning. You have absolutely NO - and I mean ZERO proof - that the Church had any other understanding than that of the Eucharist being Christ's very Flesh and Blood.

That is not the point. The Bible is not at all clear about the natures of Christ and how they exist. If it was clear, the Monophysite, Monothellite, and other heresies regarding His nature would never have come into play. You could have read the Bible and found out about this. It was the Church that defined the proper understanding in councils which were called to combat heresies.

Baloney, sir! The Bible is totally without comment on how the two natures of Christ reside in the one, single Body of our Lord. Don't try to tell me that the Bible says anything other than Jesus is the pre-existent Word of the Father. This is special pleading, and it doesn't work with me. You are making claims that were simply unknown to the first four centuries of Christians and had to be worked out in councils, some of which were quite rancorous over these very issues. You are standing on the shoulders of giants when you make these correct statements. They are correct, but they are not anywhere in the Bible! Please don't try to confuse the teaching of Christ's divinity with that of the Hypostatic Union because they are not the same and the HU is not in the Bible anywhere.
But what a complete waste of time and I don't see the point - Since there is no way that you will go to heaven on the basis of the Covenant being broken. Hebrews 6:4

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
QUOTE: black.hawk:

6 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, 7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Nope. Not even close. Shame you don't trust in the original autographs and instead think that a mangled translation by English "scholars" is more to your liking.

Let me correct this for you:

In the Greek:

1:9 οἵτινες δίκην τίσουσιν ὄλεθρον αἰώνιον ἀπὸ προσώπου τοῦ κυρίου καὶἀπὸ τῆς δόξης τῆς ἰσχύος αὐτοῦ

And Young's Literal Translation, which is much more accurate than the corrupted KJV :

2Th 1:9 who shall suffer justice -- destruction age-during -- from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,

See that guy in the red up there? That is the Greek word aionios. It comes from the Greek root word aion, which means "age." Aionios has to do with an age or ages, not with eternity. The Greek word for eternal is aidios. Two different words with two entirely different meanings.

Furthermore, the promise of age-long or age-during punishment on those who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ (and who were troubling the new believers) has to do with the judgment which fell upon Jerusalem in AD 70 when that city was destroyed and over 1 million Jews killed by the Roman armies of Titus.

Nice try. Not even close.

BTW - You mention the covenant a lot. The whole of the Bible is about the Covenant of God, the breaking of that covenant relationship between mankind and God, and its restoration in Christ, the God/Man. The book ends with the destruction of Jerusalem in Revelation and the coming of the Kingdom of God. Revelation speaks of the Church as the New Jerusalem which comes down from on high. It's gates are always open to those who wish to repent and enter in. Those who do not are not part of the Kingdom. And they are not until they repent - either in this age or the next - and turn to Christ asking union with Him.

I still maintain that the vision of God which you have is a merciless deity.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what a complete waste of time and I don't see the point - Since there is no way that you will go to heaven on the basis of the Covenant being broken. Hebrews 6:4

**Yawn** Really. I've been damned to hell by better than you, sir. And since Christ Jesus is my Judge and not you, I am unimpressed by your damnation. You seem to forget that He is God and you ain't!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Nope. Not even close. Shame you don't trust in the original autographs and instead think that a mangled translation by English "scholars" is more to your liking.

In the Greek:

1:9 οἵτινες δίκην τίσουσιν ὄλεθρον αἰώνιον ἀπὸ προσώπου τοῦ κυρίου καὶἀπὸ τῆς δόξης τῆς ἰσχύος αὐτοῦ

And Young's Literal Translation, which is much more accurate than the corrupted KJV :

2Th 1:9 who shall suffer justice -- destruction age-during -- from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,

See that guy in the red up there? That is the Greek word aionios. It comes from the Greek root word aion, which means "age." Aionios has to do with an age or ages, not with eternity. The Greek word for eternal is aidios. Two different words with two entirely different meanings.

Furthermore, the promise of age-long or age-during punishment on those who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ (and who were troubling the new believers) has to do with the judgment which fell upon Jerusalem in AD 70 when that city was destroyed and over 1 million Jews killed by the Roman armies of Titus.

BTW - You mention the covenant a lot. The whole of the Bible is about the Covenant of God, the breaking of that covenant relationship between mankind and God, and its restoration in Christ, the God/Man. The book ends with the destruction of Jerusalem in Revelation and the coming of the Kingdom of God. Revelation speaks of the Church as the New Jerusalem which comes down from on high. It's gates are always open to those who wish to repent and enter in. Those who do not are not part of the Kingdom. And they are not until they repent - either in this age or the next - and turn to Christ asking union with Him.

Wrong. Everything you have said is false since all Scripture is inspired by God, which means that the Greek translation is no better than the KJV Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16

The English translation is just as good as any other translation. 2 Timothy 3:16

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
**Yawn** Really. I've been damned to hell by better than you, sir. And since Christ Jesus is my Judge and not you, I am unimpressed by your damnation. You seem to forget that He is God and you ain't!
Again, wishful thinking is a fallacy, but you cannot prove what you've said.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

In the Greek:

False.

The Argument from Authority is a fallacy, since there is no reason nor evidence to say that the Ancient Greek scholars had more authority than their English counterpart.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God "wants"/"DESIRES" all Mankind to be saved.
If anyone truly and spiritually seeks God, Jesus the God-Man will be revealed to him.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you,
not wishing for any to perish (spiritually separated) but for all to come to repentance.(turn to God)

1 Timothy 2:
3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.
But all of this has to be understood in the context of other Scripture, which are also relevant.

So that Hebrews 6:4-6 would always take priority over 2 Peter 3:9.

No one can be saved if they have violated the Covenant of Jesus Christ - IMPOSSIBLE literally means impossible in the English language. Hebrews 6:4-6

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0