Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have about 50 ancestors and close relatives touched by the events of 1682 including 7 of the 20 victims. There is quite a few misconceptions about the hysteria, from how victims were executed (they were hanged, not hung, burning was used in Continental Europe) to what caused the Afflicted girls act as they did. The "moldy bread hypothesis" proposed that the Afflicted suffered from cases of ergotism. Ergot is a fungus that effects rye. It has similar chemical structure to LSD and can cause mania, hallucinations and convulsions. The moldy bread hypothesis was first proposed in the 70s and has spread to become "common knowledge" for many Americans.
Salem scholar Margo Burns researched this topic makes a great case falsifying egotism as causing the behavior of the Afflicted.

The video is her full 50 minute presentation, but I'll post a few bullet points here.
- Egotisim wouldn't be selective. Everyone in the household should have been effected, not just the young girls
- Ergotism and it's symptoms were well known by the 1690s.
- Many of the hallmark symptoms of ergotism were not present in the Afflicted.
- You generally don't just get better from egotism, especially if you continue to consume contaminated rye.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: durangodawood

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have about 50 ancestors and close relatives touched by the events of 1682 including 6 of the 20 victims. There is quite a few misconceptions about the hysteria, from how victims were executed (they were hanged, not hung, burning was used in Continental Europe) to what caused the Afflicted girls act as they did. The "moldy bread hypothesis" proposed that the Afflicted suffered from cases of ergotism. Ergot is a fungus that effects rye. It has similar chemical structure to LSD and can cause mania, hallucinations and convulsions. The moldy bread hypothesis was first proposed in the 70s and has spread to become "common knowledge" for many Americans.
Salem scholar Margo Burns researched this topic makes a great case falsifying egotism as causing the behavior of the Afflicted.

The video is her full 50 minute presentation, but I'll post a few bullet points here.
- Egotisim wouldn't be selective. Everyone in the household should have been effected, not just the young girls
- You generally don't just get better from egotism, especially if you continue to consume contaminated rye.

Wow, you know your ancestors from that era? Amazing. I'm sure my ancestors were affected. Billingsley Crest( coat of arms). Blessings.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are such thing as witches you know
As I'm descended from Mary Estey, Susannah Martin and Rebecca Nurse, all falsely accused and executed during the hysteria, I'm very aware of that fact.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow, you know your ancestors from that era? Amazing.
My mom is from Massachusetts which made filling in her tree pretty easy this current era of genealogy. They didn't have courthouses burned during the Civil War and they have been obsessed with genealogy since the 1800s. I've probably identified 150 10th great-grandparents in her tree. My dad has a pretty good tree, but not as many branches and the furthest back is about 1700.
I'm sure my ancestors were affected. Billingsley Crest( coat of arms). Blessings.
No doubt. Anyone with family in Massachusetts Bay or Connecticut would have been touched by witch hunts in the 1600s.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Practice of magic
what's "magic"? Do you think these witches actually cast spells? Can they manipulate the laws of probability or physics with this "magic?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I have about 50 ancestors and close relatives touched by the events of 1682 including 6 of the 20 victims. There is quite a few misconceptions about the hysteria, from how victims were executed (they were hanged, not hung, burning was used in Continental Europe) to what caused the Afflicted girls act as they did. The "moldy bread hypothesis" proposed that the Afflicted suffered from cases of ergotism. Ergot is a fungus that effects rye. It has similar chemical structure to LSD and can cause mania, hallucinations and convulsions. The moldy bread hypothesis was first proposed in the 70s and has spread to become "common knowledge" for many Americans.

Given your family involvement I imagine you've done a fair amount of research on Salem - Do you have any thoughts on what caused it?

Am I right in thinking that there were other, similar witch hunts in that part of the world?

OB

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A true witch could tap into supernatural powers and use them at their convenience.

Such as when the witch at Endor had Samuel's spirit brought up from Paradise.

God ordered these witches to be put to death.

Exodus 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Today, in this dispensation, where the Holy Ghost keeps Satan in check, witches are just witches in name only.

There are exceptions in places where witchcraft is practiced as a serious way of life.

But these are the exceptions today -- not the rule.

Reactions: JohnEmmett
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
A true witch could tap into supernatural powers and use them at their convenience....

.....Today, in this dispensation, where the Holy Ghost keeps Satan in check, witches are just witches in name only.

There are exceptions in places where witchcraft is practiced as a serious way of life.

But these are the exceptions today -- not the rule.

Thanks AV. I feel a lot safer now I know that witches aren't real. :clap:

Now... what about those demon thingies? :help:

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks AV. I feel a lot safer now I know that witches aren't real. :clap:

They were at one time though.

That's my point.

In the Old Testament, there were bona fide witches in existence.

Now... what about those demon thingies? :help:

Demons are fallen angels.

Revelation 12:4a And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.