Saint festivities

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Angel of God

My opinion is that if one celebrates christian festivities then he accepts Jesus Christ Justice even if he doesn't follow Jesus laws......
Are Saint festivities an acceptance of Jesus Christ Justice?
For example, if one doesn't follow Jesus laws then to celebrate Saint festivities would be a great acceptance for him.
I would like to know your opinions........

:crossrc: :crosseo:

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Typically the Church celebration of a Saint's Day (as opposed to popular festivities of giving candy hearts, drinking green beer, etc.) is to have a quite normal service in which the prayer of the day and the Bible readings focus on what we can learn about how to follow Christ from the example of that saint. For example, the feast of St. Luke in the Episcopal Church Book of Common Prayer calls for these readings:
  • Ecclesiasticus 38:1-4, 6-10, 12-14
  • 2 Timothy 4:5-13
  • Luke 4:14-21
And this prayer:
Almighty God, who inspired your servant Luke the physician to set forth in the Gospel the love and healing power of Your Son: Graciously continue in Your Church this love and power to heal, to the praise and glory of Your Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

A sermon drawing on those readings and possibly speaking of Luke's life in service to God would follow the Gospel reading.

Upvote 0
A

Angel of God

GraceInHim said:
I found out this past week, that Constantine is a Saint.. :confused:

Surely Church is not perfect but if it produces..angels in Heaven.....then it's sufficient......
When Christ will return then surely Church will become perfect.

A great Church would have to say who is a Saint firstly.
My opinion is that is a Saint who gives surely..directly..Glory to the Father with his life(who has a monk life) because are also Fathers..........
All the Apostles for example, etc...

:angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are always saints who are on a local calendar but not on all the calendars of every organizational body....I don't believe St. Juliana (a Russian housewife) is probably on the calendar of the Antiochian Church, but we all recognize each others' saints...If the RCC and the EO had remained one Church, I think you would recognize him as a saint even if he wasn't on your local calendar of commemorations.

There have been many men and women who have led ruinous lives who have become saints because of their actions. St. Moses the Black was a robber and murderer before his conversion and baptism. St. Constantine is even more different because he did what he did not for purposes of murder and thieving, but for the protection of his people.

No, I dont think all people who practice some sort of ritual that has nothing to do with Christianity on a day that traditionally would have been the feast day and commemoration of a saint makes them implicitly accept Christianity. For most people, it was Valentines Day, not St. Valentine's Day.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
choirfiend said:
There are always saints who are on a local calendar but not on all the calendars of every organizational body....I don't believe St. Juliana (a Russian housewife) is probably on the calendar of the Antiochian Church, but we all recognize each others' saints...If the RCC and the EO had remained one Church, I think you would recognize him as a saint even if he wasn't on your local calendar of commemorations.

There have been many men and women who have led ruinous lives who have become saints because of their actions. St. Moses the Black was a robber and murderer before his conversion and baptism. St. Constantine is even more different because he did what he did not for purposes of murder and thieving, but for the protection of his people.

No, I dont think all people who practice some sort of ritual that has nothing to do with Christianity on a day that traditionally would have been the feast day and commemoration of a saint makes them implicitly accept Christianity. For most people, it was Valentines Day, not St. Valentine's Day.

I know, I was just noting it. I've found many folks hostile to Constantine for what are some pretty weak reasons. That's all. And I agree with your assessment.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
choirfiend said:

And how many use St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to party? No, "observing" a saint's feast day does not make one a Christian.

ps--while I do not observe the feast days of saints, I do acknowledge their importance to the history of the church.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tonks said:
I've found many folks hostile to Constantine for what are some pretty weak reasons.

Those weak reasons include despising the institutional Church that Christ established. In order for their version of the Church to exist and to be the True Church, they must believe in the GCA (tm) {Great Constantinian Apostacy} because their church bears no resemblence to that of St. Constantine's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Angel of God

choirfiend said:

S.Paul said he is the last of the Saints.........
Church has never been perfect but we know Jesus has not pretended perfection from the seven..churches in Revelation but some churches can fall as the Scriptures say in Rev 2, 5.......
A lot of times is social system that decides who is Saint..... :cool:

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
S.Paul said he is the last of the Saints.........

Wasn't that "least" not "last"? :scratch:
Eph.3: 8 said:
8Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
tulc( :) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tonks said:
In the Eastern Church, not the Western. We do honor him, however.

Is that right? Was he never a Saint in the Church of Rome? How can that be?

He is a Saint for his repentance, not his errors.

Forgive me....:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps it might be wise to consider what Paul himself considers are saints: people redeemed by the blood of Christ, who have put their faith in Him.

Like most everybody here, for example.

As noted a dozen times in various threads here, when a Church "canonizes" a Saint, what she is doing is to hold up that particular saint from among the Communion of Saints as in some way an example to others. She is not "making someone a saint," she is giving official earthly recognition to what God has already done, i.e., made that person a saint.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.