fondstatue

Aug 6, 2005
melbourne australia
✟179.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
d exodus20:8-11 remember the sabbath day to keep it holy,six days shalt thou labour and do all thy work but the seventh day is the sabbath of the lord thy God:in it thou shalt not do any work,thou, nor thy son, nor thou daughter, thy manservant, nor thou maidservant, nor thou cattle nor thou stranger that is within thy gates for in six days the lord made heaven and earth, the sea and all that is in them and rested the seventh day:v wherefore the lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy mattew 24:20 but pray ye that your flight be not in the winter:neither on the sabbath day when jesus predicted temple destroyed in 70 ad by romans he new that sabbath will still be lords day in 70 ad isaiah66:23 and it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another. and from one sabbath to another. shall all flesh come to worship before me saith the lord see even in heaven we will keep sabbath dosent say sunday it says sabbath acts 13:42 and when the jews wre gone out of the synagogue, the gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath see gentiles keepted sabbath after jesus rose from dead so all tyexts points to sabbath not one verse says sunday holy only God has right to make day holy sabbath man caNT have right to make sunday holy in fact sabbath changed to sunday 321ad by catholic church
read daniel 7:25 God predicted catholic power wiull change sabbath to sunday in 321 ad so choose Gods sabbath day or man made sunday as for me and my house we will obey Gods sabbath

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
fondstatue said:
the ten commandments are still binding today,if you break one want you go to jail ,plusif there is no law nailed to cross then there is no sin so law does still exist its forever read psalms111:7-8 remember the sabbath day to keep it holy God wrote commandments with his own finger why will it change you read new testament apostles keepted sabbath even in heaven we will keep sabbath

I'm a little confused by this post, but the topic of the thread was what I wanted to get a SDA answer on, so I thought I'd ask my question here. (By the way, you don't go to jail for breaking MOST (90%) of the ten commandments. You can violate the sabbath, take God's name in vain, have and make idols, covet your neighbors wife, lie, steal (most of the time), be rebellious to your parents, commit adultery, and not go to jail for any of them. The only one you MIGHT go to jail for is killing someone, or stealing something big enough.)

So anyway, my question is regarding Exodus 31:12-17, where God tells Moses (and us :) ) that the Sabbath is a sign between Jehovah and Israel. Does the SDA church see a distinction between Israel and the Church, or do they consider the Church to be Israel? If the two entities are considered the same, then I can begin to understand the Sabbath doctrine as taught by the SDA. Otherwise.....I am left with my question.

Thanks for any answers you all might post for me. :)

Upvote 0

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
novcncy said:
So anyway, my question is regarding Exodus 31:12-17, where God tells Moses (and us :) ) that the Sabbath is a sign between Jehovah and Israel. Does the SDA church see a distinction between Israel and the Church, or do they consider the Church to be Israel? If the two entities are considered the same, then I can begin to understand the Sabbath doctrine as taught by the SDA. Otherwise.....I am left with my question.

Thanks for any answers you all might post for me. :)
AWESOME QUESTION!
The short answer is yes, we consider the church to be Israel, spiritual Israel to be more exact. Would you like to see some scripture on this topic for I know many don't recognize this perspective?

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PaleHorse said:
AWESOME QUESTION!
The short answer is yes, we consider the church to be Israel, spiritual Israel to be more exact. Would you like to see some scripture on this topic for I know many don't recognize this perspective?

Hmm, Thanks for your answer. I don't think any more scripture would be helpful to me personally, because I will not agree with your interpretation. I've seen arguments for this equation, and respectfully, and completely, disagree. However, you SDA on the board may care to discuss it amongst yourselves.

This simply illuminates for me what the real issue is, and it's not the Sabbath. I believe the Bible teaches that Israel and the Church are two seperate entites, and it seems that the SDA differ. This affects nearly all theology, including almost every scripture you might refer to. My goal isn't to be contentious or argumentative, so with that, I will bow out. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Upvote 0

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You are very welcome and I thank you again for the insightful question. Also, I respect your interpretation that the church and Israel are seperate, though I would disagree, and you are correct that this interpretation does impact how many other verses are viewed and thus interpreted.

God Bless You,

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
PaleHorse said:
AWESOME QUESTION!

Correct, we do consider the Church today to be Spiritual Israel.

Upvote 0

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Kolya said:
I am respectfully looking forward to your proofs that the Sabbath is Relevant in today's world.
I may be able to help on this question, I hope so at least. :)

You see, we view the seventh-day Sabbath as not being a part of Moses' ceremonial law - we see it as being part, as it's placement as the 4th Commandment indicates, of God's eternal moral law, and thus it was never changed or abolished by Christ during or after His ministry here on earth. Please allow me to explain a little further;
Just like the institution of marriage, the Sabbath was given to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden just as Exo 20:11 indicates, well before the Fall and well before the children of Israel existed - as such, it was not limited to only the Jews for observance; it was instituted about 2,300 years before Jews existed. The Garden of Eden represents God's perfect creation, that is why God Himself declared it as being "very good" (Gen 1:31). This perfect creation was God's original plan and it would have continued in this original fashion but then sin came into the picture and the perfect creation was shattered. The Sabbath was established on the seventh-day, for that is the day God rested on from His works of creation; as such, God blessed, sanctified, and made holy the seventh-day (Gen 2:3 & Exodus 20:11). In summary, to say that the seventh-day Sabbath was just for Jews is to say that marriage is just for them as well, for they were both established in the Garden of Edan as part of God's perfect creation.

I could go on to cite (of course using scriptural references) other reasons to further establish this point such as how the Decalogue and the ceremonial laws of Moses were established as different times, for different purposes, and that they were two distinct sets of laws until Jewish tradition came to view them as being lumped together and thus be referred to as "the law" - which confused the distinction and identity of each. Also, I can show without a shadow of a doubt that seventh-day sabbath observance is firmly established in the NT not only in Christ's example but also as a flat out statement that it remains. These points I'll only delve into if you are interested.

But I hope I'd answered your question. If not please let me know and I'll try again. :)

PS - Great picture of yourself at the computer!

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Kolya said:
I am respectfully looking forward to your proofs that the Sabbath is Relevant in today's world.

I agree with what PaleHorse wrote and I'd like to add a couple of things if I may.

Resting in this crazy world is just as relevant now as it was 6,000 years ago. So many health issues could be averted if people really did follow the commandment from God and rest on the Sabbath. It's the day He set aside and made holy, but it's also a time for us to forget the troubles of the world and really REST. Not to mention it is an absolute blessing to spend an entire 24-hour day with the Creator and praise Him for all that He has made.

We, as Adventists, worship God every single day. I want to make that clear to anyone that visits our forum here. However, we cannot possibly cease from all work seven days a week. We follow the commandment and cease from work on the seventh day-the day that God blessed.

Also the Sabbath is relevant because we will be honoring it on the new earth. Isaiah 66:23 - And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. I think this verse makes it clear that the Sabbath was never just for the Jews because obviously the Jews won't be the only ones that inherit the new earth.

May God bless,
~Lainie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Kolya said:
I recently finished a study I've been working on for some time that addresses this specific question. Personally, I feel it is concrete proof that we not only have a rest in Christ, but that the seventh-day Sabbath is still in affect for all Christians.

The study can be found by clicking here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums