Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For people on a salary nothing would change really the people this has a greater affect on one way or the other would be hourly workers in that it would either result in having the chance to have more and earlier overtime OR the law could bar overtime.
Salary workers would probably be the most impacted by this. They’d clock out for 3-day weekends for similar salaries while hourly workers would just work fewer hours.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Salary workers would probably be the most impacted by this. They’d clock out for 3-day weekends for similar salaries while hourly workers would just work fewer hours.
Many hourly workers put in more than forty hours. This measure is just a way to make more of it OT. Whether it would work or have negative unintended consequences is still a question.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Salary workers it does not matter because they could work 20 hours or 80 hours and nothing changes.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Salary workers it does not matter because they could work 20 hours or 80 hours and nothing changes.
Salary workers still target the “normal” for how much time they put in.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a 32 hour work week would be great. People need more free time to take care of themselves and their families.
Right now, a great proportion of hourly workers would love to get up to 32 hours a week, and would prefer at least 40.

If all they're going to do is mandate people making only $15 an hour to 32 hours...that's not going to be popular.

It could be popular if it means people continue to work 40 hours and overtime kicks in after 32.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I worked, I often worked jobs that required 40+ hours a week, even up to 60 - 70. Work in a Fish cannery in the Pacific Northwest, and you'll have those hours. That was 20+ years ago though, but I don't think much has changed.
Nope, hasn't changed: OBI Seafoods:
"Cleaning fish and performing other processing jobs may require you to stand in one place performing repetitive tasks for up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week"
That's excessive in the other direction...

If those were the terms, I'd just grab my fishing rod and go catch my own fish to eat lol

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually looked at some of the results that have come from trying out this? There's been several pilots around the world already to test this out.
There were studies.

Basically, in a 32 hour work week, the worker productivity goes up. Of course, at the same time the amount of work done with that productivity goes down because of less work hours. It's probably a bit like a laffer curve, with a "sweet spot" where the "productivity per work hour" x "work hours" product is at a maximum and any increase or decrease of workhours leads to less productivity.

The problem is imo that this sweet spot varies between jobs, employees and likely even varies for that employee over time. You don't need high mental focus when your job is relatively banal manual labour, only enough rest times to recover your bodies strength.

Theoretically, there's also the factor to consider that less work hours lead to a happier life for the employees, but good luck convincing employers with that argument.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Bill Gates say artificial intelligence could justify a shorter workweek.
Bill Gates can take a hike. All he has ever been interested in is stuffing money in his pocket. Right now he is getting rich off of AI. It does not matter to Gates all the corruption and the fact that AI is being used to steal money from people. That is why Musk sold it to Gates. Musk did not want to be held accountable for the harm that will be done using AI.

He laughs about how easy it is, but someday he is going to be held accountable.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bill Gates can take a hike. All he has ever been interested in is stuffing money in his pocket. Right now he is getting rich off of AI. It does not matter to Gates all the corruption and the fact that AI is being used to steal money from people. That is why Musk sold it to Gates. Musk did not want to be held accountable for the harm that will be done using AI.

He laughs about how easy it is, but someday he is going to be held accountable.
... The heck you talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
law enforcement
That is like a dog chasing his tail. They extort money from people to pay their wages. Every now and then a bad guy comes along but that takes up maybe 5% of their time. 95% they spend on minor infractions to fine people to pay their wages.
1712937227347.png

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Basically, in a 32 hour work week, the worker productivity goes up.
Health care is based on three 12 hour days for a total of 36 hours a week. If they want more time they can work more hours. I would be fine with people getting overtime at 32 or 36 hours to help make up for their low wages. Also 32 hours would be perfect for working two jobs.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am talking about Bill Gates and what a idiot he is. I did not know you were a part of the Bill Gates fan club.
Was a reference you say saying Musk sold "AI" to Gates. It was nonsensical. But hey, go for personal attacks right away if you got nothing else.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Was a reference you say saying Musk sold "AI" to Gates. It was nonsensical. But hey, go for personal attacks right away if you got nothing else.
Elon Musk played a significant role in the early days of OpenAI. Back in December 2015, a group of tech visionaries, including Sam Altman, Elon Musk, Ilya Sutskever, and Greg Brockman, came together to found OpenAI with a shared mission: to advance artificial general intelligence (AGI) for the benefit of humanity.

Today the OpenAI ownership pie is divided between Microsoft (49%), other stakeholders (49%).

I have Microwave stock and it has gone up because of Open AI. I am surprised that Bill Gates waited this long to try to get back some of what google took from internet explorer. I remember back when Amiga was icon driven and IBM clones were DOS. We had to write our own programs back then.

I am going to attach Bill Gates every chance I get. He calls himself a philanthropist but that is little more than a tax shelter so he does not have to pay taxes on his investments.

Bill and Melinda Gates Pledge $10 Billion in Call for Decade of Vaccines | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Bill Gates turned his $55 million vaccine investment in Pfizer’s partner, BioNTech, into over $550 million in just under two years​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

7thKeeper

Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Well NOW you are more accurate. Gates got involved with a company. He didn't buy "AI". The concept of AI isn't for sale. I don't care much for how it's used currently either since it's not really AI either. And Musk didn't sell it to Gates either as you claimed. He left OpenAI in 2018, while it was still a non-profit organization and had no part in it after that (he has been quite salty about it too). Musk can't sell anything to anyone, since he doesn't own OpenAI.

And the other nonsensical part is you blaming Gates for people "using AI to steal."

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Musk and Gates are odd bed fellows. Musk is still mad at Gates for selling him short. But the bubble was going to pop and Gates knew that.
Do you think about rich people a lot?

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Musk and Gates are odd bed fellows. Musk is still mad at Gates for selling him short. But the bubble was going to pop and Gates knew that.
What does this have to do with you claiming Musk sold OpenAI to Gates, which isn't true?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
hat does this have to do with you claiming Musk sold OpenAI to Gates, which isn't true?
I am not going to waste anymore time on this. If you want to pick on the word "sold" then you use any word you want to use. the alliance between Elon Musk and Bill Gates is an intriguing juxtaposition. Their paths have intersected in various ways, despite their distinct backgrounds and approaches:

The federal government accused Microsoft of having a monopoly and engaging in anticompetitive practices related to Internet Explorer’s bundling with Windows. The case had a significant impact on the tech landscape and shaped discussions around antitrust regulation.

Bing, the search engine developed by Microsoft, indeed utilizes OpenAI’s technology. Specifically, the new Bing experience runs on OpenAI’s GPT-4, which has been customized specifically for search12.

Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, has been closely connected to OpenAI in various ways:

1. Funding and Support:
    • Bill Gates has been a supporter of AI research and development. He recognizes the potential of artificial intelligence to address global challenges.
    • While not directly involved in OpenAI’s day-to-day operations, he has provided financial support and expressed interest in its progress.
  • Elon Musk was one of the co-founders of OpenAI in 2015. The organization’s mission is to ensure that Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) benefits all of humanity.
  • Initially, OpenAI aimed to raise $100 million for its mission. However, Elon Musk significantly increased the funding commitment by suggesting an initial $1 billion investment.
  • Over time, it became clear that building AGI would require vast resources, including substantial capital and computational power.
  • Elon Musk and OpenAI recognized that a for-profit entity would be necessary to acquire these resources.
Like I said: Musk and Gates are strange bedfellows. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Musk sold Gates on the idea of investing in Open AI. Gates needed AI to get back what google took from internet explorer. Now Bing and Google compliment each other and they are beginning to work together instead of against each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0