Caribbeans
✟9,237.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
To those who honor the 4th Commandment and do no work on the 7th day (which we now call Saturday... Saturn's day):

1. Please state your denomination
2. State the activities (besides fellowship/church) which you routinely do on Sabbaths
3. If there are any activities which you do or don't do contrary to popular Sabbath keepers, please highlight (like for example I know many of you will see this at a later date because you do not partake of social media on this day).
4. If there are any scriptural or historical references that you know of which show some ancient Sabbath customs please share.

Thank you in advance for your input.
- Dania

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
To those who honor the 4th Commandment and do no work on the 7th day (which we now call Saturday... Saturn's day):

2. State the activities (besides fellowship/church) which you routinely do on Sabbaths
3. If there are any activities which you do or don't do contrary to popular Sabbath keepers, please highlight (like for example I know many of you will see this at a later date because you do not partake of social media on this day).
4. If there are any scriptural or historical references that you know of which show some ancient Sabbath customs please share.

- Dania
1. Orthodox
2. It depends since I am a college student.
3. There is Vespers service always at my church.
4. Christians used to worship both Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am a Sabbath keeper. I honor the Sabbath by not working or cooking on that day. (I eat picnic style.) I do not have "servants" to work for me and so do not shop or go to restaurants then.

If you want to see why I keep the Sabbath, I guess this vid would be the best resource.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Danayah

Feb 16, 2019
Caribbeans
✟9,237.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Some denominations honor the first day as the new day of rest set forth since the resurrection of Christ, keeping true to the fourth commandments.
This is known, but I'm specifically seeking out the Sabbath according to scriptural doctrines (pre-roman influence)

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Please say what you DO do.
I go to an online Messianic Congregation as there is no such place near where I live. I do art work for others that is no cost and is educational. Yahushuah, aka Jesus, said it is acceptable to do good on the Sabbath.

I watch videos that are Scripture based. For example I always watch at least one video from Psalm 119 Ministries as they always have new ones coming along.

Any kind of reading that is Scripturally edifying is good. Mostly I like to do the art work because I always like to do art work! I keep Sabbath art works separate from those which I may wish to sell at a later date. I watch some videos that teach art techniques. Though those techniques can be used for commercial purposes, I use them just as much for the free art, so I think that is okay. Also I prayed about that, and have not felt convicted.

If I had a young family, I would spend a lot of time playing with any kids If I were married I would spend more time with my husband, too.

I pray and praise, though I try to do that ongoing, because there are less distractions then.

Reactions: Danayah
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

- Dania

So non-denominational.

So I am firm believer that you should have a day of rest, where you do as little as possible. I think it is a good thing to teach your children, because it will help them relax one day a week when they are older. I think a day of rest is extremely healthy and important, which is exactly why G-d created a day of rest.

That said, I don't believe in a legalistic approach to it. If your car catches fire, and you need to get one so you can go to work on Monday, then you have to do what you have to do. Just like Jesus said to the Pharisees, if their ox fell in a ditch on the sabbath, they would pull it out.

There is only one thing that I do not like at all, and wish Christians would not do this.

Christians across this country have a massive habit of going out to lunch after Church. Not only this, but some will actually try and use going out to lunch, to evangelize people. I find this extremely annoying.

Here this church person is telling this waiter that he needs to come to church.... but by the very act of being in that restaurant, they are REQUIRING that all those people must be at that place, preparing food for the church person.

How can they be in church, if the church people are demanding they work and serve them food? By walking in that restaurant, you are demanding someone be working there making food, serving drinks, and cleaning dishes, and running that establishment.

By being there... you are demanding people not be in church.

Years ago I met a pagan lady who worked at Walmart. She told me that until she met me, she hated Christians because they would come into Walmart, and lecture her on how she should be in church. She would always think 'if I was at church, who would ring up all your junk?'.

So I am completely against doing things on whatever day of rest you choose. And don't go to a store or restaurant after going to church, and try and tell people working there, that they should be in church. You being there, demands they not be in church. Not a way to win people to Christ.

Beyond that, I don't have any other suggestions for how to honor the Sabbath. I think each family has their own methods, and that's honestly a good thing. It's a good thing to have family traditions.

My family would cook up salted buttered popcorn every single Sunday. Decades of my life, I can still remember the smell of melted butter on popcorn Sunday night. Like it was yesterday, even though it was 20 years ago. Sitting in front of the fire, with a bowl of popcorn, watching TV with my parents.

Yeah. Good times. Life was easier then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

- Dania

The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a type of Christ.. we are saved by grace not works.. Jesus also tells us He is the Lord of the Sabbath .... The "Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" ..It is a day of rest .. to remind us of the work of Christ.. God intends us to rest and enjoy and observe this day as we will .... Most of us go to church and enjoy our families.. but there is no "right or wrong"

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So non-denominational.

So I am firm believer that you should have a day of rest, where you do as little as possible. I think it is a good thing to teach your children, because it will help them relax one day a week when they are older. I think a day of rest is extremely healthy and important, which is exactly why G-d created a day of rest.

That said, I don't believe in a legalistic approach to it. If your car catches fire, and you need to get one so you can go to work on Monday, then you have to do what you have to do. Just like Jesus said to the Pharisees, if their ox fell in a ditch on the sabbath, they would pull it out.

There is only one thing that I do not like at all, and wish Christians would not do this.

Christians across this country have a massive habit of going out to lunch after Church. Not only this, but some will actually try and use going out to lunch, to evangelize people. I find this extremely annoying.

Here this church person is telling this waiter that he needs to come to church.... but by the very act of being in that restaurant, they are REQUIRING that all those people must be at that place, preparing food for the church person.

How can they be in church, if the church people are demanding they work and serve them food? By walking in that restaurant, you are demanding someone be working there making food, serving drinks, and cleaning dishes, and running that establishment.

By being there... you are demanding people not be in church.

Years ago I met a pagan lady who worked at Walmart. She told me that until she met me, she hated Christians because they would come into Walmart, and lecture her on how she should be in church. She would always think 'if I was at church, who would ring up all your junk?'.

So I am completely against doing things on whatever day of rest you choose. And don't go to a store or restaurant after going to church, and try and tell people working there, that they should be in church. You being there, demands they not be in church. Not a way to win people to Christ.

Beyond that, I don't have any other suggestions for how to honor the Sabbath. I think each family has their own methods, and that's honestly a good thing. It's a good thing to have family traditions.

My family would cook up salted buttered popcorn every single Sunday. Decades of my life, I can still remember the smell of melted butter on popcorn Sunday night. Like it was yesterday, even though it was 20 years ago. Sitting in front of the fire, with a bowl of popcorn, watching TV with my parents.

Yeah. Good times. Life was easier then.

We are a 24/7 world today and so people are expected to see it as any other day ... The "blue laws" helped observe that Sunday as a special day .. but they are gone now. I had to work as I was scheduled when I would preferred to be able to spend the time in church and with family .. I think your point about eating out after church is a good one.. and one we should think about

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a type of Christ.. we are saved by grace not works.. Jesus also tells us He is the Lord of the Sabbath .... The "Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" ..It is a day of rest .. to remind us of the work of Christ.. God intends us to rest and enjoy and observe this day as we will .... Most of us go to church and enjoy our families.. but there is no "right or wrong"
Yes, the Bible says the Sabbath is a type of Christ. How is that saying that the Sabbath is now on Sunday? Yes, the Bible says the Sabbath was made for man. How does that demonstrate the Sabbath is now on Sunday? if the Sabbath was made for man, what does that mean? Doesn't it mean the Sabbath is to be kept? Does it mean Sunday is now the new Sabbath?

Does the Bible say "there is no right or wrong"? Uh, no actually it is constantly about teaching us what is right or wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, the Bible says the Sabbath is a type of Christ. How is that saying that the Sabbath is now on Sunday? Yes, the Bible says the Sabbath was made for man. How does that demonstrate the Sabbath is now on Sunday? if the Sabbath was made for man, what does that mean? Doesn't it mean the Sabbath is to be kept? Does it mean Sunday is now the new Sabbath?

Does the Bible say "there is no right or wrong"? Uh, no actually it is constantly about teaching us what is right or wrong.

That is all I have to say, as this is not really a debate forum, and if one doesn't see what has already been said here, nothing else I say will compute either.

Did I say it was Sunday? God gave man a day to rest from His work .. it is a type of Christ ...who has allowed us to rest from our working to be saved. God did not command us on how to spend that day...He just told us to keep it holy (set aside).Whether we keep it Saturday or Sunday...whether we spend it in bed or at a church service we do not keep it as a legalistic practice.. we keep it as Gods gift to us ..one He made for man

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Did I say it was Sunday? God gave man a day to rest from His work .. it is a type of Christ ...who has allowed us to rest from our working to be saved. God did not command us on how to spend that day...He just told us to keep it holy (set aside).Whether we keep it Saturday or Sunday...whether we spend it in bed or at a church service we do not keep it as a legalistic practice.. we keep it as Gods gift to us ..one He made for man
Actually He didn't say just to keep it holy. He gave perfect details. He said to observe it from Friday nightfall to Saturday nightfall. Yes, He did command on how to spend the day. We are not to work then or cook then. We are not to have even our animals work then, or any servants (think waitresses and sales people, even online.)

Here is the verse, and it is mentioned in the Bible as being "for all generations...everlasting...."

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Sabbath means 7th, i.e. Saturday, so Church attendance, since it generally happens on a Sunday, has nothing to do with this Commandment.

Nowhere in the Bible are we told that following the Lord's instructions is being "legalistic." The Bible is all about teaching us to follow His instructions and not to go on our own, more preferred, ways. We are warned more than once in the Bible not to add to, or subtract from, its words.

There is a verse in the Old Testament that talks about a time in Israel when "everyone did what was right in his own sight." This was considered to be an extremely unwise pattern for them and led to some pretty bad consequences. We don't get to decide when the Sabbath is, or how to keep it holy/set apart, based on what is right in our opinions. The Father has already decided that for us as spelled out in the verses above.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually He didn't say just to keep it holy. He gave perfect details. He said to observe it from Friday nightfall to Saturday nightfall. Yes, He did command on how to spend the day. We are not to work then or cook then. We are not to have even our animals work then, or any servants (think waitresses and sales people, even online.)

Here is the verse, and it is mentioned in the Bible as being "for all generations...everlasting...."

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Sabbath means 7th, i.e. Saturday, so Church attendance, since it generally happens on a Sunday, has nothing to do with this Commandment.

Nowhere in the Bible are we told that following the Lord's instructions is being "legalistic." The Bible is all about teaching us to follow His instructions and not to go on our own, more preferred, ways. We are warned more than once in the Bible not to add to, or subtract from, its words.

There is a verse in the Old Testament that talks about a time in Israel when "everyone did what was right in his own sight." This was considered to be an extremely unwise pattern for them and led to some pretty bad consequences. We don't get to decide when the Sabbath is, or how to keep it holy/set apart, based on what is right in our opinions. The Father has already decided that for us as spelled out in the verses above.

You quote Old Testament Law...The OT is all about Christ ... The Sabbath was a type of Christ, fulfilled like all the Law ,by Christ in His death and resurrection... ...The purpose of the law was to lead us to Christ.. We can rest from all of our self effort to be saved and rest in Him....again the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You quote Old Testament Law...The OT is all about Christ ... The Sabbath was a type of Christ, fulfilled like all the Law ,by Christ in His death and resurrection... ...The purpose of the law was to lead us to Christ.. We can rest from all of our self effort to be saved and rest in Him....again the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
I asked you earlier how the Sabbath being a type of Christ changes the 4th Commandment, but see no response. Where does the Bible say that the purpose of the Law is to lead us to the Savior? That was not its only purpose at all! Those who lived before Him were not to commit adultery, murder and bow down to others gods...just as we are not to do those things.

Since you feel the Law has been done away with now, please do not ignore these questions but answer them... Is it now okay to steal, lie, murder, covet, bow down to graven images, etc.? Can one get to Heaven and do those things?

The Bible says more than once that the Almighty "will not alter what goes out of His mouth." At Mt. Sinai He audibly spoke the 10 Commandments to the terrified Israelites below. His words told us when the Sabbath is, and how to keep it.

Messiah said that not the slightest stroke of the pen would alter the Law and the Prophets until Heaven and earth pass away. Have they passed away?

I also did ask you why is it that the Sabbath being made for man means the Sabbath has been done away with. If it was made for man, then it was made for man to keep! Again, Sabbath means 7th, i.e. Saturday, not Sunday. Where does the Bible say we get to pick how and when we observe the Sabbath? I have already shown how the Bible says we are commanded to keep it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi welcome to the thread here sister.

It is important always of course to seek God's truth through his WORD asking JESUS for his guidence through his Spirit and claiming his promises *JOHN 7:17; JOHN 14:25; JOHN 16:13; JOHN 8:31-36 which is conditional of course of seeking to know God by continuing in his Word by BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God.

In answer to your question on how to keep God's Sabbath?

HOW DO WE KEEP THE SABBATH?

WHAT DOES GOD'S 4TH COMMANDMENT SAY?

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

WHAT DAY IS GOD'S SABBATH?

v10 The SEVENTH DAY of the week. (Saturday)

WHEN DOES THE SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK START?

GENESIS 1:4-5
[4], And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
[5], And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

A day in God's time is the night (darkness) and the light make up one day. The DAY in God's WORD starts at SUNSET and ends the following SUNSET. So God's 4th Commandment Sabbath would start Friday at SUNSET and end Saturday at SUNSET.

ALL UNECCESSARY WORK TO BE DONE BEFORE FRIDAY SUNSET

EXODUS 16:22-23
[22], And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.
[23], And he said to them, This is that which the LORD has said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath to the LORD: bake that which you will bake to day, and seethe that you will seethe; and that which remains over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

MARK 15:42, And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath

The preparation day is the 6th day of the week. This includes preparing to stop all business and secular work as well as any domestic work; cooking, cleaning; shopping, buying and selling that can be done on any other day of the week.

IT IS LAWFUL TO DO GOOD ON THE SABBATH?

MATTHEW 12:5-12
[5], Or have you not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
[6], But I say to you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
[7], But if you had known what this means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the guiltless.
[8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day
[9], And when he was departed from there, he went into their synagogue:
[10], And, behold, there was a man who had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
[11], And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
[12], How much then is a man better than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

MARK 2:27, And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath

It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

WHAT IS LAWFUL ON GOD'S SABBATH?

1. Remembering the creator and his creation (Exod 20:8-11)
2. Rest from all unnecessary work (Ecodus 20:10-11)
3. Doing good (Matt 12:12)
4. Prayer (Acts 16:13; Matt 21:13)
5. Worship the creator (Isaiah 58:13-14; Ex 34:14; 1KING 9:6; Rev 14:6-12)

Song, praise, bible study, helping others, preaching the gospel, resting, prayer, seeking God, remembering the creator and his creation. Walking in nature, going to church with like minded believers. (too many scriptures)

WHAT IS NOT LAWFUL ON GOD'S SABBATH?

WORK; all business and secular work as well as any domestic work; cooking, cleaning; shopping, buying and selling that can be done on any other day of the week and anything to do with work (Exodus 20:8-11; Ex 16:22-23; Matt 21:13).

There is no purpose in FOLLOWING any of God's LAWs including the SABBATH if it is NOT done through FAITH that works by LOVE because it is ONLY as GOD writes his LAW to LOVE then we can take up our beds to follow him. LOVE is the fulfilling of GOd's LAW in those who BELIEVE (Rom 13:8-10)

God bless an nice to meet you.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0