Sabbath, 7th day of the week.

hraedisc

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
SDA
One of the czars of Russia, while walking in his park, came across a sentry standing guard over a little patch of weeds.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

The sentry replied, "I don't know. AII know is that the captain of the guard ordered me to stand over this spot."

The czar sent for the captain.

"Captain, -what is this man guarding?"

The captain answered, "All I know is that the regulations call for a sentry to be posted here. "

Then the ruler ordered a major investigation, but no one in the government of Russia could discover why that spot needed guarding.

Then they opened the royal archives -containing accurate records of the past -and the mystery was solved.

The chronicles showed that a hundred years before, in the late Eighteenth Century, Catherine the Great, queen of the Russians, had planted a rosebush on that plot of ground. So satisfied was the watching Queen when the gardeners had completed their work, that she ordered a sentry to be posted there to keep people from trampling on it.

Eventually the rosebush died, but nobody thought to cancel the order, especially since it had been issued by such an important person.

And for a hundred years men stood guard over a spot where a rosebush once had grown-and didn't know what they were guarding.

Year after year. At first, no one knew how long. Guarding something that wasn't there.

Men today are carefully guarding Sunday. They rest on that day; they attend weekly church services on that day. Many do it because they think that God commanded it.

But it is not until we open the archives of God's Word that we can see the truth of the matter.

Continue reading the rest of the story by clicking here. (Scroll down to chapter 13)

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No scriptural basis? Maybe in your world.
Acts20:7 " And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, (the Eucharist) Paul preached unto them..."
Where does this stuff about Constantine come from? Try reading the early church fathers if you really want to see what the early church was like.

Upvote 0

EPHRIAM777

A REAL NICE GUY..!
Dec 6, 2002
PHILLY
✟620.00
Originally posted by JereReagan [/i]
All throughout the Bible and even into the New Testament God appoints his Sabbath day on the 7th day of the week. For over 2,000 years the 7th day of the week has been Saturday, and it wasnt until 401 A.D. or roughly around that time that the Sabbath day was destroyed and changed to Sunday. I'm curious as to why almost 99% of Christians goto church on sunday.

Good day,
Jere

Eph jokes...

Because "Christians" are evil and want to change everything around...thus confusing the unsuspecting public...and thwarting God at every turn..!

Eph really says...

Because the first century church began to meet on the day the women discovered the tomb empty...!

Upvote 0

EPHRIAM777

A REAL NICE GUY..!
Dec 6, 2002
PHILLY
✟620.00
Originally posted by Athlon4all [/i]
Well, the idea of the sabbath is for man to be rested (both spiritually and physically). Numerous times in the OT we see statements like " It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you" Not to mention what Jesus said in Mark 2:27 "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:"

Anyway, I just wanted to say that. About your original question, I don'rt know. I don't think it really matters The idea here is that God wants us to take a break once a week.

EPH writes...

LOL...yeah we need a break..or does HE...LOL :)

Didja know that the ones who sinned the most on the Sabbath....were the Priests who "went to work" that day....!!

Yep...! Thats why they ALL had to put their stones down and not be the first to throw one...!

Upvote 0
The Sabbath was created and sanctified by God as a day of rest.. No dispute there. And all throughout history, even during Caesers time, the seventh day of the week has always been Saturday.. We as Christians should keep that day holy and rest from all our work, not let others work for us (in this day and age instead of manservants and maidservants we have cashiers, toll collectors, waitresses, etc) on this day.

BUT, to my knowledge, now here in the Bible does it say we must congregate and fellowship specifically on the seventh day. Now at one time every religion did congregate on the seventh day, but back in the days of the Roman Empire, Caeser Augustus asked the Church to decree that worship would be on the first day of the week so that they, the government, would get more work days from the people. Eventually, all other religions followed suit.

Now, are we wrong to worship on Sunday? no. However, we need to look closer at how we do keep the Sabbath.

Your Brother In Christ
Ken

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This topic seems to come up a lot. Where are you sabbatarians coming from? I will pull this off another thread 'cause I get tired of typing it so much. Saying that the Church "destroyed the sabbath" in 401 at a council is FALSE!

St. Ignatius (circa 110AD) "If,therefore they who are under the older dispensation came into a new hope, NO LONGER KEEPING THE SABBATH, BUT LIVING IN OBSERVANCE OF THE LORD'S DAY, ON WHICH DAY ALSO OUR LIFE ROSE THROUGH HIM" (capitals added)

Who is he talking about? Obviously the people around Christ, who came into a new hope when He was resurrected.

St. Justin Martyr (early second century) "Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which...Jesus Christ our Savior... rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn [Saturday]; and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things."

Every text referring to the Christian day of worship (and there are at least a dozen more) says that the first Christians worshiped on Sunday. Not a single one of those early texts speaks of Christians continuing to observe the Sabbath as their primary day of worship.

Upvote 0

JereReagan

Oct 21, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
✟15,247.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no idea what you just said maam... All I can say is here's the bottom line Hosea 4:6

My People are destroyed for lack of knowledge... You have forgotten the LAW OF YOUR GOD.. Therefore I shall forget your children.....

What more is there to say? Since when does Christ dieing on PASSOVER which was Wednesday, and being rissen on Saturday EVENING and then Mary finding the cave empty on Sunday.... This does not mean he was rissen on sunday ... If you did a 2 hour study on when did Christ really rise.. You would find that Passover was Wednesday, and he died on Passover because he is the Passover... 1 cor ?? errr I gotta find the verse I'll edit this message and add it in the morning. The reason Christ kept the Holy days was not because these were jewish or these were a custom.... They kept them because these were the HOLY DAYS OF GOD since the beginning. Hense the fact that these days will be kept in the Millennium. I dont believe anyne of you feel like refuting that so I will get to my next point.

If Christ actually did rise on Sunday, Which he didnt. But if he did, so what? The fact that he died for our sins is the entire... I MEAN ... Entire POINT... And do you eve know what he died for? What is sin.....................

1 John 3:4 Sin is the Violation or transgression of the Law...

So Christ came, to die on the cross, to free us from a law, so we can wilfully violate it. Its like the president of the united states, pardoning me for a murder and then I go outside and shoot someone again. GOD FORBID... same thing Paul writes in Rom 6:15... You people think that God is calling everyone now.... The Feast of Firstfruits is for his people being called now... God is only calling a handful of people now... Glance at Rev 14:12 before I forget... Here is the patience of the Saints.. Here are those who keep the commandments of God, AND THE FAITH OF JESUS....

BOTH!!!!! Not 1 without the other.. you have to keep both..

1 John 2:2-6 Any man who says I know Christ, or am with him (90% of Christians today say this), But does not keep my commands, IS A LIAR, and no truth is in him.

You people say were under the New Covenant... What does being under a new Cov mean? And what are the terms of the New Cov... Read the Bible before you answer so quickly next time please... Heb 8... Just glance and read the chapter.. You'll understand the Covenant... He took the Law from stone and from paper, and wrote the Law of God in our Hearts and in our minds... Today's Christians believe what they want to hear, and are taught what they want to hear. They dont care about the actual truth.. If you guys cared about the truth you would... Prove all things; Hold fast that which is good... And you would be ready to give an account for what you believe in... Infact if you just went to your Roman Catholic Encylopedia and looked up ... hmmmmmmmm

Easter, Christmas, Hollaween....... you wouldn't keep them anymore after that.... And btw Duet 12:29-32 (32 - Whatever I command you to observe, (He gave us the 7 Holy Days) Observe it!, Do not add to it! and do not take away from it!)

Powerful scripture isn't it?

I've gotta hit the sack, but please people, I beg it off you, just open your Bible and prove it for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums