✟93,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dell 64 bit 16.0 GB RAM
I just changed the graphics card, Hard drive is 5 years old, along with power supply. In spite of that, I'm quite the computer novice-no gaming, surfing, email, posting on CF ^_^ Now I get messages that after Jan 14, 2023 Windows 7 will no longer be supported. Google also reminds of the same thing.

Does this mean I will no longer be able to use this for the internet? If so, are there inexpensive options to keep it running?

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
You should be able to still update it to 10 for free, despite Microsoft saying that was a limited time offer. You should be able to use W10 install media to either upgrade directly or reformat. If you reformat, just enter the W7 product key when prompted.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@RoBo1988 ,
You should be able to use Windows7 for a long time still. Just use a good internet security program like BitDefender. You can get BitDefender Total Security for 2 years for $25 on Amazon. Something to consider. You do not need Windows10. Or you can make the switch to Linux and try out Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Food for thought! In other words, play it safe. Know the sites you are visiting and things will go well on your windows7 machine long into the new year! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Windows 7 is out of support and has not received extended support updates for almost three years.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT ON THE INTERNET, REGARDLESS OF YOUR ANTIVIRUS SITUATION.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can keep using it, but as it was pointed out already: no support means that the OS will no longer receive security updates. Security software isn't really a replacement for Windows patches, so it is a good idea that you start considering the idea of upgrading to W10 or W11.

Millions of people still use XP though, so if you don't really want to, you can keep using W7 indefinitely. Just be aware that you'll be at risk of getting infected with malware at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with @Wookiee , upgrade to Windows 10. Do a fresh install, remember to backup all your files before you do. Or give Linux Mint a try as @JesseBassett suggest. Mint is free and doesn't cost anything.

Linux Mint Operating System
Windows 10 Disc Image - Download
Windows 11 download

You also mentioned you have a Hard Drive? Now would be a good time to upgrade to an SSD. They are so much faster and inexpensive now.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I agree with @Wookiee , upgrade to Windows 10. Do a fresh install, remember to backup all your files before you do.
Direct upgrade is also fine* (having done this numerous times, and recently too), but either way definitely do a backup.

*assuming you don't have a lot of useless rubbish bloating the existing install
You also mentioned you have a Hard Drive? Now would be a good time to upgrade to an SSD. They are so much faster and inexpensive now.
Also glossed over this. But definitely do this if you don't have one. The difference is noticeable.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should be able to still update it to 10 for free, despite Microsoft saying that was a limited time offer. You should be able to use W10 install media to either upgrade directly or reformat. If you reformat, just enter the W7 product key when prompted.
I tried that last night but rec'd an error message. I need to get a flash drive to do backups, and try again, or investigate Linux a little more. I will also look into an SSD; priced them on Amazon and they are reasonably priced. Probably could have done that 5 years ago, but like I said, I'm kind of a novice. Thanks

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Windows 7 is out of support and has not received extended support updates for almost three years.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT ON THE INTERNET, REGARDLESS OF YOUR ANTIVIRUS SITUATION.
No offense @Wookiee but even the healthcare industry is using Windows 7 with Internet access. I am sure if one knows what they are doing and is being smart about being online, he/she will be fine. Its called common sense.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
No offense @Wookiee but even the healthcare industry is using Windows 7 with Internet access.
1. Any place doing that is in violation of HIPAA
2. I still had a few of our work clients running Windows 7, Server 2003 and 2008 - just because those are still in use doesn't mean it's safe.
I am sure if one knows what they are doing and is being smart about being online, he/she will be fine. Its called common sense.
"Common sense" doesn't protect one from vulnerabilities that exist and are unpatched. It just takes one compromised site/email/device on the network to bring it crashing down, even if you do everything perfectly.

I observe many vulnerabilities in my organisation daily, with an always increasing list as Chrome/Windows/Adobe/[software] discloses as a brand new CVE. It's an uphill battle, and having an OS that no longer receives those updates isn't going to do anyone any favours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dell 64 bit 16.0 GB RAM
I just changed the graphics card, Hard drive is 5 years old, along with power supply. In spite of that, I'm quite the computer novice-no gaming, surfing, email, posting on CF ^_^ Now I get messages that after Jan 14, 2023 Windows 7 will no longer be supported. Google also reminds of the same thing.

Does this mean I will no longer be able to use this for the internet? If so, are there inexpensive options to keep it running?
I'm with @Wookie - definitely upgrade that OS. This is years overdue, you need the latest security patches and when Windows or any other OS goes end-of-life, those patches aren't released anymore. Additionally, the older security protocols it supports won't be secure anymore, since computers keep getting more powerful and older, simpler encryption methods become easier to crack. So not only would you have a vulnerable OS, but eventually you would be stuck with a weaker grade of encryption that can't protect your data against modern attacks.

So, in short, upgrade it. If you put off upgrading it, keep it disconnected from the Internet.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm with @Wookie - definitely upgrade that OS. This is years overdue, you need the latest security patches and when Windows or any other OS goes end-of-life, those patches aren't released anymore. Additionally, the older security protocols it supports won't be secure anymore, since computers keep getting more powerful and older, simpler encryption methods become easier to crack. So not only would you have a vulnerable OS, but eventually you would be stuck with a weaker grade of encryption that can't protect your data against modern attacks.

So, in short, upgrade it. If you put off upgrading it, keep it disconnected from the Internet.
Just my opinion, but I think this is complete nonsense. I've been an equities investor for 20+ years now, currently all of my financial transactions, i.e banking, brokerage, online shopping are all handled on a computer running Windows 7. And these are all associated with an e-mail account who's password hasn't been changed since it was initially set up about 35 years ago.

Yes, anti-virus software is a good idea, but it's not actually your best line of defense. You have to understand that if your private information is going to be compromised it's most likely going to be in one of three ways.

1. You yourself are actively going to download and install a piece of malware. (So just exercise some caution in what programs you download and install. Most legitimate sources will have already checked their files for malware, so you can be very confident that it's safe)
2. You're going to get spammed by a piece of email telling you to click on this, or verify that, or you're the lucky millionth shopper. (So simply ignore email from people that you don't know. Having separate email accounts for different purposes is very helpful for avoiding spam)​
3. The most likely way that your information will get hacked is because some business to whom you've given it will get hacked. Be it your bank, or somewhere online that you shop, or where you pay your phone bill. (Unfortunately you can do absolutely nothing to stop this beyond being very judicious about who you give your information to)​
All in all, you're just as likely to get hacked on Windows 10 as you are on Windows 7. The only difference is that Windows 10 may be a tiny bit better at defending itself against the latest versions. Unfortunately Windows 10, (due to its cross platform design) also leaves itself open to more lines of attack.

If all that you're going to use your computer for is checking your email, posting to CF, and surfing Yahoo!, or CNN, or YouTube, then you really needn't be concerned, a lack of updates isn't going to affect you one bit.

Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just changed the graphics card, Hard drive is 5 years old, along with power supply.
So long as you're not doing anything that's memory intensive like video editing or gaming then you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Just my opinion, but I think this is complete nonsense. I've been an equities investor for 20+ years now, currently all of my financial transactions, i.e banking, brokerage, online shopping are all handled on a computer running Windows 7. And these are all associated with an e-mail account who's password hasn't been changed since it was initially set up about 35 years ago.
I really hope this is a personal thing and not you handling some clients.
Yes, anti-virus software is a good idea, but it's not actually your best line of defense.
Correct. But still a necessity.
You have to understand that if your private information is going to be compromised it's most likely going to be in one of three ways.

1. You yourself are actively going to download and install a piece of malware. (So just exercise some caution in what programs you download and install. Most legitimate sources will have already checked their files for malware, so you can be very confident that it's safe)
2. You're going to get spammed by a piece of email telling you to click on this, or verify that, or you're the lucky millionth shopper. (So simply ignore email from people that you don't know. Having separate email accounts for different purposes is very helpful for avoiding spam)​
3. The most likely way that your information will get hacked is because some business to whom you've given it will get hacked. Be it your bank, or somewhere online that you shop, or where you pay your phone bill. (Unfortunately you can do absolutely nothing to stop this beyond being very judicious about who you give your information to)​
4. Software you're actively using but haven't updated (such as Windows 7 or Office 2010) will have a major security flaw that isn't patched because support ended years ago.

5. Someone on a network you're connected to is infected (or a threat actor) and your computer is attacked through a major security flaw that isn't patched because support ended years ago.

6. You share storage devices with people or other computers and accidentally initiate a payload through a major security flaw that isn't patched because support ended years ago
All in all, you're just as likely to get hacked on Windows 10 as you are on Windows 7. The only difference is that Windows 10 may be a tiny bit better at defending itself against the latest versions. Unfortunately Windows 10, (due to its cross platform design) also leaves itself open to more lines of attack.
That is definitely not true. Windows has a lot of flaws and threats (largely because the most commonly used OS platform is most commonly targeted, go figure), but Windows 10 is far more secure than 7. Microsoft have even recently started hardening more potential holes (which is causing issues in itself, but that's not unexpected) that will leave you even further behind if you're still using 7.

If all that you're going to use your computer for is checking your email, posting to CF, and surfing Yahoo!, or CNN, or YouTube, then you really needn't be concerned, a lack of updates isn't going to affect you one bit.
This just patently isn't true. It's the equivalent of not bothering to lock your doors, take care of your valuables, or be mindful when you're walking home at night because a determined enough threat will do harm to any degree.

Corporate cybersecurity is part of my living; there are so many major vulnerabilities and potential threat vectors even from every day used software like Adobe Reader, Chrome and Office. Oops, you opened the wrong PDF and your AV didn't catch it? Guess someone in Russia now has your 35 year old e-mail address and password.

Have iTunes or something that installs Bonjour? Your computer firewall now has open ports and someone standing on your e-porch greeting every single person that walks by.

Oh, that dormant keylogger used a hole that wasn't patched in W7? Guess they now have your banking details.

Seriously, the upgrade from 7 is free, 10 isn't really that different (and in most cases is generally more stable) and not upgrading because it looks different or you don't like change, or you heard from your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said that it's a huge downgrade from 7... is just asinine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OK. I've been a systems administrator for 10+ years now. I'm on the front lines on dealing with what happens when people get hacked. I've had to manage security patches both with the kernel and with key software. I've had to diagnose rooted servers, and hundreds of hacked sites. Do you know what a CVE is? Do you know what a zero-day is? If you don't, if you had to do a search for those terms after you read them just now, then stick to banking and brokerage, but do not give people computer security advice please.

Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
5. Someone on a network you're connected to is infected (or a threat actor) and your computer is attacked through a major security flaw that isn't patched because support ended years ago.

6. You share storage devices with people or other computers and accidentally initiate a payload through a major security flaw that isn't patched because support ended years ago
This is where you're absolutely right. If you're sharing a network with others then you're definitely vulnerable. People can do some really stupid things. But I didn't get the impression that the OP was sharing a network with others.

But hey I can understand your position, in fact I appreciate everything that you do to keep my information secure, because once it's out of my hands I'm counting on people like you to keep it safe. So keep up the good work.

Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dell 64 bit 16.0 GB RAM

Switch over to Linux; Ubuntu. it’s open source, always secured and updated. You can do everything you need on it and it’s free. I’ve even currently got a work around for gaming after switching from win 10. Runs on my laptop flawlessly and will work on any specs.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I do think that upgrading that HDD to an SSD would be a good idea. My HDD crashed after 7 years of use, so yours is probably close to the end of its usable lifespan.

However, I would NOT recommend switching to Linux for computer novices. Linux is all well and good until you need to install a program and have to install 5 unmet dependencies and have to Google about 10 bash commands to make it work. Or you get a kernel panic.

Incidentally, that's why I recommend upgrading to Windows 10 - it's murderously hard to install a new program on Windows 7 right now. My brother wanted to play an old Windows 7 only game and spent 8 hours of work to get his video recording software installed. For a computer novice, this will be a nightmare. It's much easier to backup your files to an external hard drive, put an SSD in your machine, and install Windows 10 on the new drive and copy your files over. Just make sure you have a local admin user account created for your Windows 10 install.

You can also get the Geek Squad or Best Buy to assist you with this process if you're not comfortable doing it on your own. Or find your nearest computer programmer or electrical engineer. They will have you set up lickty-split.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I have been discussing this matter, and I may just break down and buy a laptop. She has a desktop that has Windows 10 with a large monitor(that we have been currently using for a bedroom TV) and we will move that into it's place.
Meanwhile, I may upgrade or retire the old 'puter. I'm still waffling. I hate replacing something that still works. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0