• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

rumination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mental Rumination- contemplation or reflection, which may become persistent and recurrent worrying or brooding.

My definition- Bringing up things that are in the past, worrying about things that in reality are not really a concern.

It is also a cow (and a few other animals) that chews grass (cud), swallows it, then brings it back up in its mouth and chews it again. :sorry:

:)

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
see i dont know if mine is a rumination or a complusion, cause ill get anxious and ill start running through my thoughts ( that i fear ill have) and trying to say the opp. of them, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

a compulsion is something you feel the urge to do and if you dont do it causes you anxiety ..

for example i get bad thoughts then i have to i mean have to say something verbally to counter ....

such as i rebuke this ...

that is a compulsion because if i dont do it i will be filled with fear and anxiety

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

see i dont know if mine is a rumination or a complusion, cause ill get anxious and ill start running through my thoughts ( that i fear ill have) and trying to say the opp. of them, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I think for people with Pure O (obsessional OCD) the compulsion actually IS rumination. This is what we do ...we stew or ruminate obsessively about the thought and often seek reassurance about it. I think the obsessing (thinking it over repeatedly or ruminating or whatever you want to call it) is for us, OUR way of doing a compulsion. Just like an OCD laden "'handwasher" will repeatly wash their hands to reduce their anxiety. We obsess and try to "argue ourselves out of our anxiety." For those obsessions that are mild or for those who are only afflicted mildly with OCD thinking, this may actually work. Usually it doesn't though. Same for reassurance.

If you haven't before, I would suggest you look at Dr Phillipson's website www.ocdonline.com Though I don't believe he is a Christian, he is very, very good at explaining how Pure O or obsessional OCD operates and can be helped. Give it a look at the articles expecially if you haven't yet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.