✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
1Cor 12:27-30 . .You are the body of Christ, and members in particular. And God hath set some in the church; first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

The koiné Greek word for "helps" in that passage is antilepsis (an-til'-ape-sis) which essentially means relief. Unfortunately that passage is the only place in the entire New Testament where antilepsis is located in a text; and Webster's is not much help seeing as how there are a number of meanings for relief to choose from; e.g.

1) removal or lightening of something oppressive, painful, or distressing

2) a means of breaking or avoiding monotony or boredom

3) military assistance to an endangered post or force

4) release from a post or from the performance of duty

5) one that takes the place of another on duty

6) legal remedy or redress

In my judicious estimation, a reliever really ought to go about their business without griping.

Php 2:14 . . Do everything without grumbling or debating

It used to be an understood rule of thumb in the US Army that GIs could complain all they wanted just so long as they did what they were told. Well; Christ isn't pleased with that.

Col 3:23 . .Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Rom 12:8 . . If you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

2Cor 9:7 . . God loves a cheerful giver.

NOTE: Eve is described as a "help" for Adam (Gen 2:18). The Hebrew word is from 'ezer (ay'-zer) which means aid-- not as in aide; but as in First Aid. Farm Aid, and/or Foreign Aid. In other words: I think it can be honestly said that Eve was the very first of God's spiritual gifts to humanity. I have to see her that way because God deliberately designed Eve to be a relief for her husband; she was no accident.

/

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suggest you also look at the list of gifts in Rom 12. It lists "service." That would fit with at least some of your list for "helps"

6 Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; 7 if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; 8 or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; 11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.​

You may find the following verses also are "helps:"

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.​

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NOTE: Eve is described as a "help" for Adam (Gen 2:18). The Hebrew word is from 'ezer (ay'-zer) which means aid-- not as in aide; but as in First Aid. Farm Aid, and/or Foreign Aid. In other words: I think it can be honestly said that Eve was the very first of God's spiritual gifts to humanity. I have to see her that way because God deliberately designed Eve to be a relief for her husband; she was no accident.

It's stronger than that.

'Ezer is used 21 times in the OT.

Eighteen times it's used in reference to God Himself (such as Psalm 54).

Twice it's used to describe an army coming to the aide of someone in immanent danger of death.

So 'ezer does not mean "help" as in "hand me the saw." It does not mean "assistant." It means "help" as in "here comes the cavalry!" It means "rescue."

Upvote 0