United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
This is an interesting question that I have received from a friend:

What are the rules that should be followed when Orthodox people or leaders dialogue with heterodox members or communities/communions with the goal of unity in mind? Such as the discourse with the Coptic Church or Rome, and with all other willing heterodox communities. I'm having trouble finding anything about it specifically so I come to you, wonderful and colorful friends from TAW. :)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What an interesting question ...

I'm not sure I understand what the "goal" is exactly? Of course we cannot have unity as compromise. However, if it involves sharing and discussion hopefully to some benefit, which is what I usually see as the goal, that may be different.

I tend to look to priests with good pastoral wisdom and how they handle these things. I pay attention to those who answer questions from outside the Church, and I see that they are very careful not to compromise the teachings of the Church, and yet they keep a wise eye on what their words "sound like" to those outside the Church. When necessary, they go into depth to explain what they really mean, what they do NOT mean, and will warn the listener to work through with them if they have to lead off with a difficult statement.

I will give the best example I can think of. When it comes to the Orthodox Church being the "one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church" and such things as those who are saved being a part of the Church.

Outsiders hear this as Orthodox saying, "We're saved, no one else is, you're all going to hell if you don't belong to our Church!". And I'm sorry, but I don't think that is REALLY what the Orthodox doctrine says. While we do believe in our own Church - I believe it is well-stated by the many who say some version of "we know where God is, but we do not know where He isn't" and who do not pass any judgment or condemnation on those outside of the Church. I've checked with a number of priests and those in leadership and have heard this echoed as the official Orthodox Church stance.

Now, we DO say that those who are saved are joined to the Church - but outsiders just don't "speak the same language" and there are gulfs in their understanding and what we actually meant.

These kinds of gaps exist in many topics, to varying degrees. It makes someone who is completely unfamiliar with the Church and trying to learn about it have a difficult time. I was one of those for whom it was difficult. Many times I was given answers by Orthodox that were VERY off-putting, and if I had taken what I understood those answers to mean, I would have turned away from the Church and never learned the true meaning.

So I have a lot of compassion for those who are exploring, and for those outside the Church, and what they hear and how they are going to interpret it.

I'm not sure if that is the kind of question you mean to ask, or if I'm taking it in a wrong direction. I'm not suggesting the Orthodox should compromise doctrine - by no means! That is one of the things I most respect about the Church, even when I have disagreed with her.

But it would be best if we can avoid building artificial walls that do not really exist, and will prevent some from even attempting to climb over them because of their misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, I think the responsibility falls to Orthodox to be compassionate and kind and know where those potential walls can be thrown up, and be sensitive to those outside and try to prevent that from happening. As I said, I've seen priests who are excellent at doing this. They are the best example I think we may have to follow.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm speaking of the rules followed in official discourse between the Orthodox Church and other communions, such as the discourse between the Oriental and Coptic Churches with our Bishops. When the goal is that members of the Coptic churches and the EOC can go to eachother's Churches and receive Communion, as though the Chalice were the same.

Off-topic: I know I've been going to a Greek parish for a while when I can read your signature without translation. I'll take that as a good sign.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm speaking of the rules followed in official discourse between the Orthodox Church and other communions, such as the discourse between the Oriental and Coptic Churches with our Bishops. When the goal is that members of the Coptic churches and the EOC can go to eachother's Churches and receive Communion, as though the Chalice were the same.

Off-topic: I know I've been going to a Greek parish for a while when I can read your signature without translation. I'll take that as a good sign.

I thought that only applied to the Syriacs and the Church of Antioch?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Oh, I'm sorry. That's a bit beyond me. I apologize, I really wouldn't know about things like that. I try to listen to what's going on, but the rules are not something I know anything about.

And OT: My sig was the first thing I learned in Greek (other than the odd bits I'd learned from looking things up in an interlinear). I could tell from the hymns that it was important, and I loved the sound from the moment I first heard it. It is the highlight of my week when sung by the choir. :)

The hymns are the best, first place to learn Greek - or have been for me. I can pick out words in the prayers and the readings, but I can understand more and more of the hymns. :)

Upvote 0