Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-- Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani has taken the first step in a 2008 presidential bid, filing papers to create an exploratory committee, Republican sources tell CNN.
What's the message to Rudy?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a song. The Specials? Anybody? C'mon people, it's a clever title!

Whatever. Rudy seems to be runnin' in '08. Discuss.
Since Rudy is pro-abortion, if he wins the nomination, we will have a Democrat for President in '09.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since Rudy is pro-abortion, if he wins the nomination, we will have a Democrat for President in '09.

Mr. Guiliani, despite my problems with him, is most definitely not that. He is pro-choice like most people.

Such a slur and misrepresentation is reprehensible.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm not so sure. If the republicans nominate a moderate, and the democrats nominate a far leftie, the republicans could easily win.

Whether you'd want that, is of course a different story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Rudy has too many personal issues to be a president. Heroes can have them glossed over, because everyone likes them. Presidential candidates have opponents. He lost his senate bid, in part, because of his 'personal issues' with marital fidelity. Its going to cost him in the same way if he runs for president. Pro-Abortion, a giant black mark with the people who consider marital fidelity important (which is the majority, last time I checked). The Democrats just have to field a good candidate to beat him.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not so sure. If the republicans nominate a moderate, and the democrats nominate a far leftie, the republicans could easily win.

I simply think that a far left Democrat would get more votes than a pro-abortion Republican (who would split the Republican vote)

Upvote 0

ElvisFan42

Senior Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
✟11,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I think you're right on the mark with this. I think if either party nominates a moderate and the other not so moderate, the moderate will do good.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
It looks like we're being set up yet again for another non-choice the next time presidential elections roll on...like George W. Bush, this self-serving abortionist only has some chance on the national level because of 9/11.:sigh:

Rudy has too many personal issues to be a president. Heroes can have them glossed over, because everyone likes them. Presidential candidates have opponents. He lost his senate bid, in part, because of his 'personal issues' with marital fidelity. Its going to cost him in the same way if he runs for president. Pro-Abortion, a giant black mark with the people who consider marital fidelity important (which is the majority, last time I checked). The Democrats just have to field a good candidate to beat him.
Giuliani did not lose his senate bid; he withdrew from the race against Clinton rather late citing health reasons which seem not to be hindering him in this much larger endeavor he is about to undertake.

Would the Democrats field a pro-life candidate to defeat him?:confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoshuaW

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
✟11,457.00
Faith
Christian
How much of a president's time is involved in legislation for or against abortion? Approximately none. Yet it is astounding how many people cast their vote for president with his abortion stance as the only consideration. I hope in the future that people will remember that a president has almost unlimited power to do good or evil, and their position on abortion is almost irrelevant to the job they will be doing. How many of you voted for George Bush because he said he was against abortion? Does his record in office justify his position regarding abortion?

Upvote 0

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you're right on the mark with this. I think if either party nominates a moderate and the other not so moderate, the moderate will do good.

"Moderate" Republicans like Rudy seem to be more left-leaning than "moderate" Democrats like Lieberman. That would be a funny match-up. It would be pretty interesting to see how people vote. Would the Republican voters vote for Lieberman since he's more in line with their values, or would they vote for Rudy because he has an (R) next to his name? And vice versa for the Dems?

Personally, I'd like to see the whole scale slide to the left a bit. Maybe a "moderate" Republican would allow the Dems to run a liberal candidate for once? I doubt it, but I can dream.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-- Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani has taken the first step in a 2008 presidential bid, filing papers to create an exploratory committee, Republican sources tell CNN.

*tsk* You reference the Specials, but you miss the more apt ska reference -

Run Rudy, Run. (The Toasters)

Upvote 0

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are people in the USA that are "far left"?:eek:

Name some!

Me! :thumbsup:

We're here and we're pretty common, even here in the buckle of the bible belt. We just have no representation in Washington. Or at least very little. Kucinich is pretty far left. A few others.

Upvote 0

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Me! :thumbsup:

We're here and we're pretty common, even here in the buckle of the bible belt. We just have no representation in Washington. Or at least very little. Kucinich is pretty far left. A few others.

i'd consider myself pretty far left. and from OKLAHOMA, no less. :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.