Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Comet_on_3_August_2014_highlight_std.jpg

The Rosetta probe arrives at distant comet

I'm very excited about this. It was a hugely ambitious mission, and a very complex one, so it's great that it appears to be going to plan so far.

Maintaining a stable orbit around this comet will be very difficult. Launching a lander (planned for November) onto a rotating rock travelling at 35,000mph will be even harder.

But the rewards could be huge, taking forward our understanding of how the solar system formed. And I deliberately put this thread in the Creation/Evolution forum, because of the clues this comet might provide about how we came to be here.

There is lots of great info about this mission on the ESA website, including this fantastic video which shows the very complicated route the probe has taken over the last 10 years to rendezvous with the comet

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow" [Ecclesiastes 1:18]

Is that one of your favourite verses AV? :p
Ecclesiastes was written by a born-again scientist who attempted to see the universe in the eyes of an empiricist, but found his way back to God by telling science to take a hike.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ecclesiastes was written by a born-again scientist who attempted to see the universe in the eyes of an empiricist, but found his way back to God by telling science to take a hike.

Because it's only okay to believe God created the parts of the universe that don't contradict his own creation story. This comet must be a product of the devil and we're all damaged evil beings for trying to look at it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because it's only okay to believe God created the parts of the universe that don't contradict his own creation story. This comet must be a product of the devil and we're all damaged evil beings for trying to look at it.
I can't speak for comets, but all this dust that supposedly accreted and became the sun, moon, stars, and whatnot never existed until after the battle between Michael and Lucifer, when much of God's creation was pocketed with craters and smashed to rubble and dust.

God created a pristine universe, void of "floaties."

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Thanks for your input AV. Back in reality, some very cool photos are coming back from Rosetta:

Comet_on_3_August_2014_fullwidth.png

More here at the ESA's gallery.

And for those of you interested in why Rosetta has to start off with this weird triangular orbit, before achieving something more stable:

dn25995-2_850.jpg

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I can't speak for comets, but all this dust that supposedly accreted and became the sun, moon, stars, and whatnot never existed until after the battle between Michael and Lucifer, when much of God's creation was pocketed with craters and smashed to rubble and dust.

God created a pristine universe, void of "floaties."

Where does it say that in the bible? Adding to scripture again?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Comet_on_3_August_2014_highlight_std.jpg

The Rosetta probe arrives at distant comet

I'm very excited about this. It was a hugely ambitious mission, and a very complex one, so it's great that it appears to be going to plan so far.

Maintaining a stable orbit around this comet will be very difficult. Launching a lander (planned for November) onto a rotating rock travelling at 35,000mph will be even harder.

But the rewards could be huge, taking forward our understanding of how the solar system formed. And I deliberately put this thread in the Creation/Evolution forum, because of the clues this comet might provide about how we came to be here.

There is lots of great info about this mission on the

Thanks. This is the first time I ever see the surface of a comet.
Am I seeing ice(s) all over the surface?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where does it say that in the bible?
Oh, please.

Can't you use your [faith] icon?

Genesis 1:31a And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

If you buy a keyboard at the store and bring it home and unwrap it, does it have dust and debris all over it, with "floaties" down between the keys?

If it does, you need to take it back.
Adding to scripture again?
Using log... I'm using my head.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, please.

Genesis 1:31a And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

If you buy a keyboard at the store and bring it home and unwrap it, does it have dust and debris all over it, with "floaties" down between the keys?

Why are you assuming that God would find "floaties" to be inconsistent with his creation being "very good?" Maybe he likes floaties.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Oh, please.

How arrogant of you to assume you know God's plan. It's very possible these "floaties" serve a purpose that your mortal human mind doesn't understand.

God works in mysterious-to-everyone-but-AV ways, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How arrogant of you to assume you know God's plan.
How naive of you to think I'm ignorant.

What plan are you talking about?
It's very possible these "floaties" serve a purpose that your mortal human mind doesn't understand.
You'd like us to think that, wouldn't you?

Then you could claim there is no evidence of the Rebellion, couldn't you?
God works in mysterious-to-everyone-but-AV ways, I guess.
After checking with you first, no doubt?

Upvote 0
D

DerelictJunction

Oh, please.

1. God has killed people.
2. God does not do evil things
3. The act of killing is therefore not evil
4. If God does it, it is good.

If God left "floaties" in the universe, it must be good. You have to show that God considers floaties to be bad in order to conclude that "very good" means "no floaties".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, please.

He doesn't have a faith icon.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How naive of you to think I'm ignorant.
I though you were "born ignert and will die ignert." (not sure if I misspelled that correctly).

Then you could claim there is no evidence of the Rebellion, couldn't you?
Then you would claim there is no evidence, therefore it happened. Like The Flood (except for the White Cliffs of Dover). So... what's the difference?

Upvote 0