Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Keep me in your prayers; re-Calvinizing and not being proud is going to be tolling on my psyche.

Embracing paradox scares me because I've learned quite a bit about paradoxes like 'seeking within one's own self for the truth and grasping upon the self within to realize that the previous self has been shed, therefore seeking within...' (endless loop)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Embracing paradox scares me because I've learned quite a bit about paradoxes like 'seeking within one's own self for the truth and grasping upon the self within to realize that the previous self has been shed, therefore seeking within...' (endless loop)

I would call the paradox above the presupposition of autonomy, which is an endless loop of relativism, the theme song is titled; "I think therefore I am". The truth comes from without and finds us in our seeking within state and fixes this endless loop by grace and mercy. :)

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would call the paradox above the presupposition of autonomy, which is an endless loop of relativism, the theme song is titled; "I think therefore I am". The truth comes from without and finds us in our seeking within state and fixes this endless loop by grace and mercy. :)

When tired I start to have strange thought processes. I need sleep.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparent paradoxes are tricky. Sometimes the appropriate response is "I'm not a super-genius; I don't 100% get this."

Mhm. I accept Scripture as it is. There's theological paradoxes that are bound to happen.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God's sovereign electing love is the most humbling doctrine taught in Scriptures. He is under no obligation to save any sinner. He could have just as easily destroyed us all and started anew. Yet in sovereign love and mercy chose to glorify Himself in the person and work of Christ Jesus the Lord for a particular people He sovereignly chose to be the objects of His love and mercy in Christ. All of the blessings of God are in Christ alone.

In His perfect wisdom He ordained all things to accomplish His purpose. He doesn't have a plan He has a purpose. That purpose is to glorify Himself in sovereign mercy in Christ alone. It is all about God in Christ doing what we would never do, forgiving sinners by the life, death and resurrection of His beloved Son.

How wonderful is His sovereign love. How magnificent is His glorious purpose to save sinners in Christ. How beautiful is His purpose to save us by substituting His well loved Son in the place of chosen sinners. How magnanimous is His sovereign mercy.

He did it all while upholding His perfect righteousness and justice in a manner we can only wonder at and praise Him for.

I am not a Calvinist because of a man whose name is attached to the truth. I am a Calvinist because it is biblical truth without question and I can do no other than fall at His feet begging mercy.

It is up to Him to save me if He will. Lord if you will you can make me whole. I am convinced and sure that you are able to save to the uttermost all that you give life and faith to in Christ Jesus the Lord.

The sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus is the most humbling and most wonderful truth. I rest in Christ Jesus alone for all. He is my hope, my help, my righteousness, my holiness, my acceptance with God, my strength, my assurance, my life, my power, my elder brother who is King.

He reached down and lifted me from the pit and set me on the Rock Christ Jesus. He will never let me down but will raise me up to sit at His feet for eternity.

That is what "Calvism" teaches.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God's sovereign electing love is the most humbling doctrine taught in Scriptures. He is under no obligation to save any sinner. He could have just as easily destroyed us all and started anew. Yet in sovereign love and mercy chose to glorify Himself in the person and work of Christ Jesus the Lord for a particular people He sovereignly chose to be the objects of His love and mercy in Christ. All of the blessings of God are in Christ alone.

In His perfect wisdom He ordained all things to accomplish His purpose. He doesn't have a plan He has a purpose. That purpose is to glorify Himself in sovereign mercy in Christ alone. It is all about God in Christ doing what we would never do, forgiving sinners by the life, death and resurrection of His beloved Son.

How wonderful is His sovereign love. How magnificent is His glorious purpose to save sinners in Christ. How beautiful is His purpose to save us by substituting His well loved Son in the place of chosen sinners. How magnanimous is His sovereign mercy.

He did it all while upholding His perfect righteousness and justice in a manner we can only wonder at and praise Him for.

I am not a Calvinist because of a man whose name is attached to the truth. I am a Calvinist because it is biblical truth without question and I can do no other than fall at His feet begging mercy.

It is up to Him to save me if He will. Lord if you will you can make me whole. I am convinced and sure that you are able to save to the uttermost all that you give life and faith to in Christ Jesus the Lord.

The sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus is the most humbling and most wonderful truth. I rest in Christ Jesus alone for all. He is my hope, my help, my righteousness, my holiness, my acceptance with God, my strength, my assurance, my life, my power, my elder brother who is King.

He reached down and lifted me from the pit and set me on the Rock Christ Jesus. He will never let me down but will raise me up to sit at His feet for eternity.

That is what "Calvism" teaches.

I believe faith in Jesus is evidence for election.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I believe faith in Jesus is evidence for election.
That is what Paul told the Thessalonians. Starting in verse 4 of 1st Thess. Paul tells them that he knows their election of God. Then he proceeds to tell them why:
1. The Gospel came to them in power.
2. They became followers of them and the Lord.
3. They were examples to all that believe.
4. They from idols to serve the living God.
5. They wait for His Son.

Read the first chapter of 1st. Thess. and you will se it.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is what Paul told the Thessalonians. Starting in verse 4 of 1st Thess. Paul tells them that he knows their election of God. Then he proceeds to tell them why:
1. The Gospel came to them in power.
2. They became followers of them and the Lord.
3. They were examples to all that believe.
4. They from idols to serve the living God.
5. They wait for His Son.

Read the first chapter of 1st. Thess. and you will se it.

Praise the LORD. (website is glitching)

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mhm. I accept Scripture as it is. There's theological paradoxes that are bound to happen.
All true theology starts with God and works down to man.

All false theology starts with man and works up to God.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All true theology starts with God and works down to man.

All false theology starts with man and works up to God.

We can't build a tower to God. God comes down to get us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Keep me in your prayers; re-Calvinizing and not being proud is going to be tolling on my psyche.
It would be helpful to remind yourself about all the anti boasting verses.
Calvinist has no grounds for boasting, God did not choose you according to your merits.
And you will notice many verses point to the truth of calvinism.

Ephesians 2:8-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

James 4:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

1 Corinthians 3:20-22 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 New King James Version (NKJV)
Glory Only in the Lord
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—

31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would be helpful to remind yourself about all the anti boasting verses.
Calvinist has no grounds for boasting, God did not choose you according to your merits.
And you will notice many verses point to the truth of calvinism.

Ephesians 2:8-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

James 4:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

1 Corinthians 3:20-22 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 New King James Version (NKJV)
Glory Only in the Lord
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—

31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

Exactly. I don't want to boast.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified, He also glorified." (Taken from the HCSB.)

Well, I formally rejected Calvinism in 2017 but ended up losing my faith altogether. That took a deadly turn and I almost became a criminal. :| God delivered me from that lifestyle and brought me back to Christianity wholesale. (Not like I'm divinely cured of all my struggles; I still wrestle with a lot that I ought not to feel.)

My rejection of Calvinism was based on the free will argument, of course. While I never truly believed in absolute free will, I allowed enough leeway so that I could believe in prevenient grace over the believer's life. I thought that God was offering me prevenient grace a lot of times, but was it actually irresistible grace?

I re-read this verse after I came out of the shower and I reached the same conclusion I did when I first embraced Calvinism. This verse, again, destroyed my Arminianism just in the last thirty minutes. Deja vu.

I do not want to embrace my prideful Calvinist attitude that I had many months ago. Yet this verse convinces me of the validity of Calvinism theologically. Yet I find that many Calvinists get all prideful over their 'theological superiority' and that's something I balk at.

This verse is Calvinist. There is no other way to say it. God chose us in Him. I cannot twist this verse to support any form of Arminianism. I believe what the Bible says.

Maybe you never really lost your faith but backslide and rebelled? I don't know. I will second everything AW and twin have already stated and add, "This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him, the oath of God, the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them, and the nature of the covenant of grace; from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof." ( Romans 8:30 Romans 9:11, 16; Romans 5:9, 10; John 14:19; Hebrews 6:17, 18; 1 John 3:9; Jeremiah 32:40 )

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you never really lost your faith but backslide and rebelled? I don't know. I will second everything AW and twin have already stated and add, "This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him, the oath of God, the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them, and the nature of the covenant of grace; from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof." ( Romans 8:30 Romans 9:11, 16; Romans 5:9, 10; John 14:19; Hebrews 6:17, 18; 1 John 3:9; Jeremiah 32:40 )

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Much to savor in that quote. Very potent.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Romans 11:5-6

Realizing Paul wasn't talking about the Israelites in that verse brought me back to Calvinism for real.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"
I do not want to embrace my prideful Calvinist attitude that I had many months ago.

Yet this verse convinces me of the validity of Calvinism theologically. Yet I find that many Calvinists get all prideful over their 'theological superiority' and that's something I balk at.

This verse is Calvinist. There is no other way to say it. God chose us in Him. I cannot twist this verse to support any form of Arminianism. I believe what the Bible says.

Sometimes referred to as
the frozen chosen.
A little puffed up possibly?

Truthfully -- how could we understand that verse in any other way?

May be of some help -- humbles me even more knowing that God chose me and that I had nothing to do with it.

Sometimes it gives man a big head thinking that he chose God and is so much brighter than his neighbor.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes referred to as
the frozen chosen.
A little puffed up possibly?

Truthfully -- how could we understand that verse in any other way?

May be of some help -- humbles me even more knowing that God chose me and that I had nothing to do with it.

Sometimes it gives man a big head thinking that he chose God and is so much brighter than his neighbor.

M-Bob

Interesting. It's a conundrum.

Upvote 0