Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, either CF has done something weird to the search engine or my computer is acting up. I wanted to do a search to get a sense of the feeling folks here have for Roman Catholicism and Roman Catholics.

Look, if I do convert, I don't want A.)to have a boatload of animus against that particular body. (This is a struggle for me). and B.) to have some sort of attitude against Catholic folks in general.

One of the struggles I do have is that whenever I hear people engaging in Roman Catholic spiritual practices such as the Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, or other prayers, I get a real negative feeling about them. I have trouble thinking anything kind about all the various "visions" that are floating around right now, especially those predicting the end of the world next month.

What is the feeling and the sense of various members here about the RC church and the people who are in it? And what do you suggest for me that my heart be right in this matter other than of course praying about it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Xenophon

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have trouble thinking anything kind about all the various "visions" that are floating around right now, especially those predicting the end of the world next month.
Like what? I know a bunch of Protestants have been going on about how they've had dreams about the imminence of the rapture, but I haven't heard anything like that from Catholic quarters--though I suppose to be fair I haven't exactly been looking.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is the feeling and the sense of various members here about the RC church and the people who are in it? And what do you suggest for me that my heart be right in this matter other than of course praying about it.

their confession is heretical, but that doesn't mean there aren't good, God loving people with Rome. I know more than a few that are more devout than I am. so you can judge the theology, but never the person.

and I don't heresy hunt.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Look, if I do convert, I don't want A.)to have a boatload of animus against that particular body. (This is a struggle for me). and B.) to have some sort of attitude against Catholic folks in general.
That's a human thing. It can happen when anyone has any kind of a religious conversion - Catholic to Protestant, Protestant to Catholic, Muslim to atheist, whatever. Examples of these and more are not hard to find.

But that kind of negativity isn't required. My dad converted from Catholicism to Protestantism, and he has always been much less "anti-Catholic" than the worst of them. For one, he still regards them as Christian. There are other people who won't. He's got his disagreements with them, but he doesn't descend into being nasty.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know how to respond because you were so blunt.

sorry to come across that way, it's just how Orthodoxy sees Rome. there are serious errors in their theology.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are two equal and opposite extremes - one which acts as if Catholicism is devil-worship, and one which says that it is just as good for one as Orthodoxy. Some former Catholics and ultra-Orthodox make the first mistake, and liberal intellectuals tend to make the opposite mistake.

Oh, and y’all are in the Eastern Orthodox Christian sub-forum, by the way.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's just how Orthodoxy sees Rome. there are serious errors in their theology.
Ah ok, to explain I have recently been strongly considering Roman Catholicism. I still am. I don't know why but I don't really find Eastern Orthodox appealing. I was looking at some information earlier though but mostly out of curiosity.

I didn't realise Orthodox viewed Roman Catholicism like that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah ok, to explain I have recently been strongly considering Roman Catholicism. I still am. I don't know why but I don't really find Eastern Orthodox appealing. I was looking at some information earlier though but mostly out of curiosity.

I didn't realise Orthodox viewed Roman Catholicism like that.

well, we have different theology. so either one or both of us is heretical, but we both cannot be true.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, either CF has done something weird to the search engine or my computer is acting up. I wanted to do a search to get a sense of the feeling folks here have for Roman Catholicism and Roman Catholics.

One of the struggles I do have is that whenever I hear people engaging in Roman Catholic spiritual practices such as the Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, or other prayers, I get a real negative feeling about them. I have trouble thinking anything kind about all the various "visions" that are floating around right now, especially those predicting the end of the world next month.

When I was trying to decide between RC and EO, the final factors that made me choose EO over RC was 1) the pope and 2) church history (like the original New Testament was written in Greek).
I like the rosary however because I found it a way to remember Christ’s life.
God bless.

Reactions: JamesTheJust
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Any religion is personal choice, others must not judge based on religion.
Catholicism is christianity, not orthodox but different. The important is what the human like.
That is not Orthodox teaching

• Winner
Reactions: JamesTheJust
Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First the both churches was one. But then they divided. And the orthodox church keep the scaraments the way they were found. The orthodox church is the true church as she walking the right way. The catholic church added new things.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Completely taken out of context. Please read the whole of Romans 14.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Any religion is personal choice, others must not judge based on religion.
Catholicism is christianity, not orthodox but different. The important is what the human like.

I think the issue is that it's not important what we like, it's important what is true.

Upvote 0