Rom 2:4,5 Why Good Things Happen to Bad People

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Why Good Things Happen to Bad People

Rom 2:4,5 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you toward repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

Some ask as to why bad things happen to good people. But shouldn't one also ask as to why good things happen to bad people? This was the question Asaph expressed in Psalm 73 saying, "I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man; they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity; the evil conceits of their minds know no limits. They scoff, and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance. They say, "How can God know? Does the Most High have knowledge?" This is what the wicked are like— always carefree, they increase in wealth." Ps 73:3-12 But when he thought further on this matter, this is what he concluded, "When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny." Ps 73:16,17

God is gracious to the wicked so that they may turned from their wickedness and repent. He gives them grace - leeway for a time - and time itself for them to reflect on the matter. And it is for this reason the Lord delays his return, just as the judgement against Caanan was delayed 400 years (Gen 15:13-16) But "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2Peter 3:9

However the more grace, the more accountability. Thus for example Paul spoke of those who oppose the propagation of the gospel with hostility and said of them, "They displease God and are hostile to all men in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit." 1Th 2:15b-16a

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
why-does-god-allow-bad-things-to-happen01.jpg

Upvote 0