Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
For the record, I'm bringing this up to pwn Rocky's statement here:

... not to discuss where my mother is.

Yes, we know, but it's led to a far more interesting revelation. You believe your own mother is in Hell. Your mother, your own flesh and blood, the woman who brought you into the world, is, according to your beliefs, currently enduring unspeakable agonies which will go on for eternity. You, meanwhile, who were wise enough to embrace a particular brand of dispensational literal hardcore Christianity, will go to heaven. Compare your life and hers. Do you really think she deserves her fate? Do you think you deserve yours?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we know, but it's led to a far more interesting revelation. You believe your own mother is in Hell. Your mother, your own flesh and blood, the woman who brought you into the world, is, according to your beliefs, currently enduring unspeakable agonies which will go on for eternity. You, meanwhile, who were wise enough to embrace a particular brand of dispensational literal hardcore Christianity, will go to heaven. Compare your life and hers. Do you really think she deserves her fate? Do you think you deserve yours?
My mother was 10x the person I'll ever be on my own.

Could we please change the subject now?

I've made my point.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
And you are quite [not so] shockingly wrong.

Now take a look at my post count and see how you like that.... newbie!

Well, you might call me "slowbie" for my non-counting-thread-bloated post count over that last ten years... but calling someone who was active here four years before you registered a "newbie" is nothing but a sign of your shocking intellectual dishonesty, you.... NEWBIE!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, you might call me "slowbie" for my non-counting-thread-bloated post count over that last ten years... but calling someone who was active here four years before you registered a "newbie" is nothing but a sign of your shocking intellectual dishonesty, you.... NEWBIE!
Fretting, are you?

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I see -- so the thought of having loved ones in Hell, like my mom, is something I relish?

You guys can't think this stuff through, can you?

It's what she didn't do.

For the record, I'm bringing this up to pwn Rocky's statement here:

... not to discuss where my mother is.

If you don't want to discuss your mom, that's fine. It makes little sense to bring her up yourself and then say you don't want to discuss her. :confused: In any case, there is obviously something that appeals to you about hell, or at the very least the whole heaven/hell package. Otherwise, you could just "dispensate" hell away, like the other stuff about slaughtering women and children (except young virgin women), witches, eating shellfish, mixing clothing types, etc. My point remains that you believe what you want to believe, while I believe what there is evidence for. I think you call that "walking by faith," vs "walking by sight." Or are you throwing that away now?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point remains that you believe what you want to believe, while I believe what there is evidence for.
Are you implying that you believe things against your will? that evidence forces you to believe something you don't want to believe?

I'm not buying that.

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you implying that you believe things against your will? that evidence forces you to believe something you don't want to believe?

I'm not buying that.

And you would be wrong. Evidence has no interest in your feelings or emotions. Of course it would be nice to believe in a long pleasant afterlife where you could do all the things you won't get round to doing in this life, but the evidence is against it. That's life. It's part of growing up. Get used to it. Get on with finding out as much as you can about the here and now rather than banking on a non-existent future. But whatever you do make the most of this life, because it's all you've got. Don't waste your time living in a fantasy world.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I'm not buying that.

As I said, this is a common problem in dealing with creationists. You don't believe other people genuinely think differently than you do. You figure people who disagree with you start off with a different set of assumptions, but still think the same way you do. Wrong.

Strange that you phrase the question in terms of believing things "against my will." It is my will that I believe reality instead of a fantasy. That includes unpleasant things as well as pleasant ones. Funny thing is, you do the same for most things. Like I've said before, we all "walk by sight" when it comes to crossing the road. You just make an exception when it comes to certain things like, mortality, origins, the basis of morality, etc. I don't make exceptions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gath

Jan 20, 2012
United States
✟7,838.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I'm not buying that.

Yes. That's exactly what's happening. I'd much rather live in a world in which God existed and I got to go to heaven after death. I wish that was how it works.

However, evidence shows that that idea is wrong, so I am 'forced' not to believe it.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist

I'm not buying that.

That's why it is called "compelling" evidence.... newbie.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And you are quite [not so] shockingly wrong.

Now take a look at my post count and see how you like that.... newbie!

The problem is the majority of your posts are counting posts.

And thus worthless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow the .... member .... waving about post counts and when one joined... seems mighty desperate.
How would you suggest I point out someone's newbiness, when they falsely accuse me of remaining silent in the face of faith healers or 30,000 sects of Christianity, then use that false accusation to further accuse me of being 'intellectual dishonest'?

What should I do? apologize? report them? ignore them?

I'll wait to see if you answer this, and answer this according to the way I wrote it; but I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0

Gath

Jan 20, 2012
United States
✟7,838.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How would you suggest I point out someone's newbiness, when they falsely accuse me of remaining silent in the face of faith healers or 30,000 sects of Christianity, then use that false accusation to further accuse me of being 'intellectual dishonest'?

You shouldn't point it out at all. It's irrelevant and adds nothing to the discussion.

Upvote 0

FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'll wait to see if you answer this, and answer this according to the way I wrote it; but I won't hold my breath.
Perhaps you'd like some whine with that cheese?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well first of all pointing out that someone is new to the forum as if somehow that invalidates their responses to you is a massive act of desperation in the first place.

What more do you want?

Upvote 0