Rich Man and Lazarus most misunderstood parable in NT?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps it can be considered more of a "covenantle prophecy" concerning the Jews of the OC and it's priesthood under Moses, vs Jewish Christians and Gentiles under Christ?

Let's look at this interesting word here, #1276, sailing/ferrying/passing/ over water

Luke 16:26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

Luke 16:26
And upon all of these between us[Faith/spirit] and ye[Law/flesh] a great chasm hath been established,
so that those willing to cross-over/diabhnai <1224> hence toward ye no may be able,
neither thence toward us they may be passing-over/ferrying/diaperwsin <1276>

It is used 6 times in the NT.
2 times each in Matt and Mark, 1 time each in Luke and Acts, and its usage concerning sailing

Strong's Greek: 1276. διαπεράω (diaperaó) -- to cross over

Matt 9:1 So He got into a boat, crossed-over/diaperwsin <1276>and came to His own city.
Mark 5:21 Now when Jesus had crossed-over /diaperwsin <1276> again by boat to the other side,

And here is Acts:

Act 21:2 And finding a ship sailing/diaperwsin <1276>over to Phoenicia, we went aboard and set out
Would that per-chance have to do with the word Hebrews meaning river crossers?

Let's look at this interesting word here, #1276, sailing/ferrying/passing/ over water

It sounds like it might.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it can be considered more of a "covenantle prophecy" concerning the Jews of the OC and it's priesthood under Moses, vs Jewish Christians and Gentiles under Christ?
Is there a reason you're so determined to ignore the prima facie interpretation that Our Lord is addressing literal fact with that story?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 16:24
And he sounding said "Father Abraham! be thou merciful to me! and send Lazarus!
that he should be dipping the tip of the finger of him of water and should be cooling down the tongue of me
for I am being pained in this flame."

These verses get us even closer to scripturally identifying who the Rich Man may be representing.

Both Luke 3 and John 8 give us the best evidence.

First, notice that the rich man identifies Abraham as his father, just as the Pharisees did (John 8:39)

Luk 3:8
“Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, We have Abraham as our father.' For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.

Jhn 8:

They answered and said to Him, Abraham is our father.”
Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.
“Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead.
Who do You make Yourself out to be?”
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple,[fn] going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

And last but not least, is the foreboding passage in Matt 21:43 concerning the Kingdom of God being taken away from the Jewish Priesthood and rulers:

Matthew 21:
Therefore I am saying to ye, that the Kingdom of the God shall be being taken-away from ye
and it shall be being given to a Nation doing the Fruits of it.
When the chief priests and Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew He was speaking about them.

This passage has always intrigued me. Jesus says to the High Priest that he will see Him coming upon the clouds of heaven.

Matt 26:
Jesus Is saying to him "thou say, moreover I am saying to ye, from present/now ye shall be seeing the Son of the Man sitting out of rights of the power and coming upon the clouds of the heaven". [Jeremiah 4:13Reve 1:7/6:16]
65 At this, the High Priest rent his garments and said, “He has blasphemed!
Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy.…
Disagree that the rich ruler was pharisee ...Aaronic priesthood does not carry over to this age of the high priest. A ruler is king. The beggar is one who had no inheritance to fall back on so he would be from the priestly line rather than a kingly line. It just goes to show that never the twain shall meet.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is a spinoff from another thread that is closed:
Rich-man and Lazarus True story or Parable

Why do some commentators view the Rich Man and Lazarus parable of Luke 16 as of the most misunderstood parables in NT?
If I am understanding this correctly, it appears it is more of a covenantle story between the OC[Moses] and NC[Jesus]

Its a parable - complete with prayers to the dead.

But even in its parable form - it has some good instructive statements.

For example - Christ's conclusion for the parable is pretty instructive (as always)

31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is there a reason you're so determined to ignore the prima facie interpretation that Our Lord is addressing literal fact with that story?

Just the obvious -

1. All dead saints not sitting in Abraham's lap
2. Abraham not in charge of who gets raised from the dead to go witness to the living.
3. Dead people in hell are not praying to Abraham
4. Abraham is not sovereign of all dead saints in heaven.

Just the obvious.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is it a parable, or an actual statement of facts concerning life beyond the grave?
Neither.

It is not a parable, because it doesn't have the characteristics of a parable in Scripture, nor does Jesus call it a parable.
It is not "an actual statement of facts" because Jesus used the false beliefs of those He was talking to
to expose their own hypocrisy or errors by their own beliefs.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1. All dead saints not sitting in Abraham's lap
Putting aside whether anybody literally believes something that silly, what exactly is your source for that?

2. Abraham not in charge of who gets raised from the dead to go witness to the living.
I don't think anybody assumes that he does.

3. Dead people in hell are not praying to Abraham
With respect, if you've never been to Hell, how exactly can you possibly know that?

4. Abraham is not sovereign of all dead saints in heaven.
Not sure what you mean by "sovereign". But apart from that, and with respect, if you've never been to Heaven, how exactly can you possibly know anything about Abraham in the afterlife?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Back to basics: Jesus PREACHING:
" Rich Man and Lazarus"

Abraham's Busom = Hades + Paradise...
The Jewish Tradtion of the spiritual "holding place" of spirits awaiting the coming of their Divine Messiah.

Luke 23:43..saying on the Cross
And He (Jesus) said to him (believing thief),
“Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

1 Peter 3: 18-19 (NIV with my comments)
Apostle's Creed..He descended into Hell (Hades)...a holding place for spirits BEFORE the Cross!
(Jesus the Christ's BODY/SOUL COMBO) being put to death in the flesh, but made (TRANSFORMED) alive by (God) the (Holy) Spirit,
19 by whom also He (resurrected Jesus the God-Man) went and preached to (~released) the spirits in prison,...(for judgment)
("Paradise" side of "Abraham's Bosom")

The God-Man Jesus therefore fulfilled and eliminated the Hebrew "holding place": "Abraham's Bosom".

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!
And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.(FOR UNBELIEVERS)

Luke 16:19-31(NASB)...JESUS PREACHING: The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “Now there was a rich man (UNBELIEVER),
and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day.
20 And a poor man named Lazarus (BELIEVER) was laid at his gate, covered with sores,
21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table;
besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores.
22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the ANGELS to "Abraham’s Bosom";(PARADISE SIDE)

and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 In "Hades" (SEPARATED SIDE) he lifted up his eyes, being in TORMENT,
and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried out and said,
‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue,
for I am IN AGONY in this FLAME.’
25 But Abraham said,
‘(BLOOD) Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in AGONY.
26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a GREAT CHASM fixed,(SPIRITUAL SEPARATION)
so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’
27 And he (rich man) said,
‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him (Lazarus) to my father’s house—
28 for I have five brothers
—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of TORMENT.’
29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets;(OT) let them hear them.’
30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’
31 But he said to him,
‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.(NT)’”

Luke 16:19-31 is NOT a "parable".

Matthew 13:10,13,34 [ An Explanation ]
And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them (unbelieving crowds) in parables?”
Therefore I speak to them in parables;
because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, and He did not speak to them without a parable.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All the characters are REAL.
His audience were Jewish believers.
He described the then current "belief system":
Abraham's Busom = Paradise + Hades => separated spiritual kingdoms measured by/fulfillled by the Divine Messiah

Luke 23:43
And He said to him,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never really understood the significance of the "5 brothers" in Luke 16:28 until I started reading some commentaries on it.
The commentator below gave an interesting view on it concerning "Judah" and his 5 full blooded brothers.
Is he referring to Isaac/Jacob as his father's house in Luke 16:28?
Thoughts?

LUKE 16:
27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
"

Mat 1:2
Abraham begat Isaac, and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Judah and his brethren,

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

Yielding himself to his destiny, the rich man asks one more thing of his forefather Abraham.
He pleads with him to send someone to warn his brothers, so that they may escape "this place of torment" (basanou), the testing and punishment that he was undergoing.

The fact that the rich man has five brothers is a vital clue to his true symbolic identity.
Judah, the progenitor of the Jews, was the son of Jacob through Leah (Gen. 29:35). He had five full-blooded brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, and Zebulun (Gen. 35:23).

While the significance of this seemingly pointless detail has been neglected by scholars throughout the centuries, you can be certain that it did not escape the notice of the Pharisees and scribes to which Yeshua was speaking.
They thoroughly knew their history and were extremely proud of their heritage. Yeshua wanted those self-righteous Pharisees to know exactly who he was referring to with this parable.
This detail cements the identity of the rich man as the House of Judah, the Jews!............................
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Judah was the 4th born to Leah and Isaac/Jacob:

YLT] Gen 29:35
And she conceiveth again, and beareth a son, and saith this time, 'I praise Jehovah;' therefore hath she called his name Judah; and she ceaseth from bearing.

However, the tribe of Judah is listed 1st in the order of the tribes in Reve 7:5
[Dan and the half tribe of Ephraim, son of Joseph, is missing]

Rev 7:

4 And I heard the number of those sealed, (144 thousands were sealed out of all the tribes of the sons of Israel):
5 of the tribe of Judah 12 thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Reuben 12 thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Gad 12 thousand were sealed
;

And this verse is affirming that Jesus is indeed from the tribe of Judah"

Rev 5:5
and one of the elders saith to me, 'Weep not; behold! overcome did the Lion, who is of the tribe of Judah, the root of David,
to open the scroll, and to loose the seven seals of it
;

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow. Rarely have I read such a convoluted explanation of a passage. The writer excels at obscurantism. Reminds me of this: Proverbs 10:19 ESV When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

It seems an important Biblical hermeneutic should be something like, 'if it takes a lot of words to explain it, it's probably wrong'.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Back to basics: Jesus PREACHING:
" Rich Man and Lazarus"

Abraham's Busom = Hades + Paradise...
The Jewish Tradtion of the spiritual "holding place" of spirits awaiting the coming of their Divine Messiah.

Luke 23:43..saying on the Cross
And He (Jesus) said to him (believing thief),

1 Peter 3: 18-19 (NIV with my comments)
Apostle's Creed..He descended into Hell (Hades)...a holding place for spirits BEFORE the Cross!
(Jesus the Christ's BODY/SOUL COMBO) being put to death in the flesh, but made (TRANSFORMED) alive by (God) the (Holy) Spirit,
19 by whom also He (resurrected Jesus the God-Man) went and preached to (~released) the spirits in prison,...(for judgment)
("Paradise" side of "Abraham's Bosom")

The God-Man Jesus therefore fulfilled and eliminated the Hebrew "holding place": "Abraham's Bosom".

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!
And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.(FOR UNBELIEVERS)

Luke 16:19-31(NASB)...JESUS PREACHING: The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “Now there was a rich man (UNBELIEVER),
and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day.
20 And a poor man named Lazarus (BELIEVER) was laid at his gate, covered with sores,
21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table;
besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores.
22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the ANGELS to "Abraham’s Bosom";(PARADISE SIDE)

and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 In "Hades" (SEPARATED SIDE) he lifted up his eyes, being in TORMENT,
and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried out and said,
‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue,
for I am IN AGONY in this FLAME.’
25 But Abraham said,
‘(BLOOD) Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in AGONY.
26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a GREAT CHASM fixed,(SPIRITUAL SEPARATION)
so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’
27 And he (rich man) said,
‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him (Lazarus) to my father’s house—
28 for I have five brothers
—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of TORMENT.’
29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets;(OT) let them hear them.’
30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’
31 But he said to him,
‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.(NT)’”

Matthew 13:10,13,34 [ An Explanation ]
And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them (unbelieving crowds) in parables?”
Therefore I speak to them in parables;
because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, and He did not speak to them without a parable.

The duration, nature & purpose of the torments the rich man was suffering are not revealed in this story. His torments there could have lasted less than 5 minutes.

"If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there; If I make my bed in the nether-world (Sheol/Hades/hell), behold, Thou art there." (Psalm 139:8)

We are told the rich man requested water. He seemed to think a few drops of water would ease his sufferings. Apparently this isn't served in "hell" (Hades), but whether or not alcohol & morphine is on the menu is not revealed. After all, God is omnipresent.

Luke 16:27-28 seems to show the rich man's concern for others. Perhaps he was beginning to have a change of heart. Supposedly that is the purpose of those in Hades recieving the word of the Lord, in this case via Abraham.

The story speaks of a great gulf fixed stopping the transfer of persons from one place to the other place. It does not say this gulf will remain in place forever. Only that at that moment in time it was so. Possibly the chasm barrier refers to the unrepentant state of those in Hades, & that once they repent the barrier stopping any individual from leaving is removed. Nor does the passage deny the possibility of salvation to the rich man in Hades while he remains there.

They get out of "hell" (Luke 16:19-31) in Revelation 20:11-15, if not sooner.

Lk.16:25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things,

"Son
Lit., child.

"Here, too, was one who, even in Hades, was recognised as being, now more truly than he had been in his life, a “child” or “son of Abraham.” (Comp. Luke 19:9.) The word used is the same, in its tone of pity and tenderness, as that which the father used to the elder son in the parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:31), which our Lord addressed to the man sick of the palsy (Matthew 9:2), or to His own disciples (John 13:33)."

Luke 16:25 Commentaries: "But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.

Fear not, said the angel who announced it, for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. Luke 2:10.

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:14.

Luke 3:5 Every valley shall be filled,
and every mountain and hill shall be made low,
and the crooked shall be made straight,
and the rough ways made smooth;
Luke 3:6 and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’”

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Luke 6:35

Luke 15:3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying, 4What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
Luke 15:8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

Lk17:4 Even if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times returns to say, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is an ancient Jewish tradition which was well known in the time of Christ, that not only was Rebecca, the mother of Esau and Jacob partial to Jacob over Esau, Abraham too favored him. Abraham said, "'Fear not, my son Jacob, And be not dismayed, O son of Abraham: May the Most High God preserve thee from destruction, And from all the paths of error may he deliver thee. This house have I built for myself that I might put my name upon it in the earth: [it is given to thee and to thy seed for ever], and it will be named the house of Abraham; it is given to thee and to thy seed for ever; for thou wilt build my house and establish my name before God for ever: thy seed and thy name will stand throughout all generations of the earth.'

"And he ceased commanding him and blessing him.

"And the two lay together on one bed, and Jacob slept in the bosom of Abraham, his father's father and he kissed him seven times, and his affection and his heart rejoiced over him."

The Book of Jubilees 22:23-26

If we can accept this, 'the bosom of Abraham' refers to the place of favor close to Abraham.

Note: Like Enoch, Jubilees exists complete only in an Ethiopic language. As far back as anyone can tell it has always been in someone's Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is an ancient Jewish tradition which was well known in the time of Christ, that not only was Rebecca, the mother of Esau and Jacob partial to Jacob over Esau, Abraham too favored him. Abraham said, "'Fear not, my son Jacob, And be not dismayed, O son of Abraham: May the Most High God preserve thee from destruction, And from all the paths of error may he deliver thee. This house have I built for myself that I might put my name upon it in the earth: [it is given to thee and to thy seed for ever], and it will be named the house of Abraham; it is given to thee and to thy seed for ever; for thou wilt build my house and establish my name before God for ever: thy seed and thy name will stand throughout all generations of the earth.'

"And he ceased commanding him and blessing him.

"And the two lay together on one bed, and Jacob slept in the bosom of Abraham, his father's father and he kissed him seven times, and his affection and his heart rejoiced over him."

The Book of Jubilees 22:23-26

If we can accept this, 'the bosom of Abraham' refers to the place of favor close to Abraham.

Note: Like Enoch, Jubilees exists complete only in an Ethiopic language. As far back as anyone can tell it has always been in someone's Bible.
Interesting post showing Jacob/Israel sleeping in the bosom of Abraham.
Lazarus is shown in John 11 concerning Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead on the 4th day.

John 11:39 Jesus is saying "take away ye!" the stone. Is saying to Him Martha the sister of the one having deceased "Lord! already he stinking, for it is fourth-day
43 And these saying, to a great Voice He cries-out "Lazarus, hither out
!" [Reve 11:9-12]

These 2 witnesses, like the Lazarus in Luke 19, aren't buried, but taken up bodily

Reve 11:
9 And are observing out of the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations the bodies of them three and half days and the bodies of them not they suffer to be placed into tomb. [Luke 16:22]
11 And after the three days and half-equal a breath of life out of the God entered in them and they stand upon their feet and fear great fall upon the ones observing them.
12 And they hear a great Voice out of the Heaven saying to them "ascend ye here!" And they ascended into the heaven in the clou
d..

Then there is the Discipl, whom Jesus loved leaning on the bosom of Jesus:

Jhn 13:23
Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never really understood the significance of the "5 brothers" in Luke 16:28 until I started reading some commentaries on it.
The commentator below gave an interesting view on it concerning "Judah" and his 5 full blooded brothers.
Is he referring to Isaac/Jacob as his father's house in Luke 16:28?
Thoughts?

LUKE 16:
27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
"
In the next verse, Abraham replies to the Rich Man that his 5 brothers have Moses and the Prophets to hear them, once again showing how much this covenantle parable mainly concerns OC Israel and the Jews, tho I feel it is more toward the corrupt murderous Jewish Rulers of Jesus' day. Thoughts

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:29
"Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' "

Once again Abraham refuses the rich man's request, telling him that the brothers already have a witness in the writings of Moses and the prophets that will allow them to escape his fate. Moses, as well as the prophets, are shown several times in the New Testament to support Yeshua's identity as the Messiah (Luke 24:27, 44; John 1:45; 5:46; Acts 3:22-24; 7:37; 26:22-23; 28:23).
Abraham tells the rich man that his brothers would have to recognize the prophesied Messiah because of the things written about him in the Tanakh. This echoes what Yeshua told the Jews in John's Gospel:

JOHN 5:
45 "Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses youMoses, in whom you trust.
46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote about me

John 19:
11 Answered the Jesus: "Not thou are having authority against Me, none at all, if no not to thee been given from above. Therefore this the one delivering up Me to thee greater sin is having"..............
38 Is saying to Him the Pilate: "What is Truth"? And this saying, again He came out to the Jews and is saying to them: "I not yet am finding fault in Him
".

Acts 25:11
For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die. But if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar!
Act 26:7
a promise that our twelve tribes hope to attain as they earnestly serve God night and day. Concerning this hope the Jews are accusing me, Your Majesty! [Reve 12:10?]

Rev 12:10
Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah.
For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And finally, these last 2 verses which again clearly identifies the rich man as symbolizing the OC Priesthood of the House of Judah

LUKE 16:
30 "And he said, 'nay! father Abraham;
but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded, though one rise from the dead
.'
"

Yeshua uses the last two verses of this parable as an amazing prophecy of his pending resurrection from the dead. The rich man says that although his brothers may not accept the scriptural evidence for the identity of the Messiah, they will accept the evidence of one who is raised from the dead.

But Abraham answers and plainly tells him that anyone who rejects the Bible's teaching about the Messiah will also refuse to acknowledge the evidence of a miraculous resurrection. This last verse is a sad prophecy about the Jews who, despite God's resurrection of His son from the power of the grave, have failed to recognize Yeshua as the prophesied Messiah............

Lazarus is only mentioned in 2 books of the NT, Luke and John.

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"lazarus"
occurs 15 times in 15 verses, 4 times in Luke 16, the rest in John 11 and 12.

Just as they did with Jesus and Paul, the corrupt murderous Jewish rulers wanted to kill Lazarus, since people knew Jesus had raised him from the dead after 3 days.
Jhn 11:39
Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, “Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days.
Jhn 12:
Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus' sake only,
but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead.
But the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death also,

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Wow. Rarely have I read such a convoluted explanation of a passage. The writer excels at obscurantism. Reminds me of this: Proverbs 10:19 ESV When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

It seems an important Biblical hermeneutic should be something like, 'if it takes a lot of words to explain it, it's probably wrong'.
There's about 2000 years of false church tradition/myths to overcome,
so
whether little by little today, or any quicker, it will take a lot of "words"/ explaining/ unless someone has not learned the false traditions/myths pervasively present today.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The simple truth. "that story" has been mis-represented billions of times. (so-called prima facie is not at all a defense of the myths (false interpretations and tales) most people have believed for generations)

Upvote 0