Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Silly question time. According to Revelation 2:17, we will each receive a white stone with a new name on it that no one knows. It’s a secret name. In some tribes and cultures, people do have common names that they are known by, and introduce themselves to strangers by, and then a secret name that only family and close friends know.

Will our new names be secret because we’re not supposed to tell anybody what it is, or is it secret because up until He gave it to us, only God knew what it was?

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the new name, which the mouth of the lord named, is Christ, and the lord naming his servants by another name is Christians, there is no other name given under heaven among men by which we must be saved.

Isaiah 62:2
And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name.

Isaiah 65:15
And ye shall leave your name for a curse unto my chosen: for the Lord God shall slay thee, and call his servants by another name:

Acts 410 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
read these scriptures to understand a new commandment was given, but it was an old one we had from the beginning, but the true light is now shining. we saw the old name Jerusalem was renamed heavenly Jerusalem, the name written on is is the new name we were already given to be saved by, new Jerusalem, Christ the name of god, his new name and named Christians, if we believe in the name of the only begotten son of god, that is those who overcome this world, all of this is testified below..

John 3:18
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 20:31
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 2:7
Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

1 John 2:8
Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

1 John 5:5
Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Revelation 2:17
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Revelation 3:12
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 21:2
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Silly question time. According to Revelation 2:17, we will each receive a white stone with a new name on it that no one knows. It’s a secret name. In some tribes and cultures, people do have common names that they are known by, and introduce themselves to strangers by, and then a secret name that only family and close friends know.

Will our new names be secret because we’re not supposed to tell anybody what it is, or is it secret because up until He gave it to us, only God knew what it was?
It is most likely an allegory representing purificatation through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Revelation is based heavily on Jewish Old Covenant culture. Its pages often reflect back to old Covenant commands. In the case of the " white stone" Jesus Christ of Nazareth is handing ( symbolically) that same stone already washed with His Blood and the name written on it is His. Remember, this is all hidden. Blessings.
Here is the direct quote from Deuteronomy:

Deuteronomy 27
Now Moses, with the elders of Israel, commanded the people, saying: “Keep all the commandments which I command you today. 2 And it shall be, on the day when you cross over the Jordan to the land which the Lord your God is giving you, that you shall set up for yourselves large stones, and whitewash them with lime. 3 You shall write on them all the words of this law, when you have crossed over, that you may enter the land which the Lord your God is giving you, ‘a land flowing with milk and honey,’ just as the Lord God of your fathers promised you. 4 Therefore it shall be, when you have crossed over the Jordan, that on Mount Ebal you shall set up these stones, which I command you today, and you shall whitewash them with lime. 5 And there you shall build an altar to the Lord your God, an altar of stones; you shall not use an iron tool on them. 6 You shall build with whole stones the altar of the Lord your God, and offer burnt offerings on it to the Lord your God. 7 You shall offer peace offerings, and shall eat there, and rejoice before the Lord your God. 8 And you shall write very plainly on the stones all the words of this law.”

9 Then Moses and the priests, the Levites, spoke to all Israel, saying, “Take heed and listen, O Israel: This day you have become the people of the Lord your God. 10 Therefore you shall obey the voice of the Lord your God, and observe His commandments and His statutes which I command you today.”

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is most likely an allegory representing purificatation through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Revelation is based heavily on Jewish Old Covenant culture. Its pages often reflect back to old Covenant commands. In the case of the " white stone" Jesus Christ of Nazareth is handing ( symbolically) that same stone already washed with His Blood and the name written on it is His. Remember, this is all hidden. Blessings.
Here is the direct quote from Deuteronomy:
moses never gave a white stone nor manna to the people, christ showed the father gave the true bread from heaven, which was his flesh, christ gives the white stone, moses gave no white stone, it therefore cannot be a direct quote from deuteronomy 27.

John 6:32
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

Revelation 2:17

To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden ymanna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone za new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the builders rejected the stone that was given, upon one stone shall be seven eyes, those seven; they are the eyes of the Lord, which run to and fro through the whole earth.

a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

evelation is the final testimony of the victory we already have in Christ, without turning to the old testament, as we are told specifically of the new, to focus on the old, or anything other than the righteous belief of Christ being slayed for our sins, has us talking about death, instead of the life of seeing Christ standing, and alive.

Zechariah 3:9
For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the Lord of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

Zechariah 4:10
For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the Lord, which run to and fro through the whole earth.

Matthew 21:42
Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Revelation 5:6
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are varying view points on this ... you can go to this commentary and get some ideas about it.

Revelation 2:17 Commentaries: He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.'

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
commentaries cant help anyone, according to the scripture these guys are commenting on.

when jesus christ says he gives a white stone, then how can any commenter give anyone anything, and when jesus says he gives a new name written which no man,[commenters, teachers, preachers] knows, but the one who receives that new name, and white stone the new name is written on, given by jesus christ alone, then the most backwards thing would be to look to those commenters, who should right away point out, they cannot know, is the point of what jesus alone did dying for us, and who alone directs our faith.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:27
All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Hebrews 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Corinthians 4:7
For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

1 Thessalonians 59 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually all I wanted to know was if we’re going to be telling other people what our new names are. Wasn’t expecting a whole tangent about the symbolism of stones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith