Reve 16:17 the seventh Messenger pours out His bowl/vial into the AIR....

Are the 7 bowls poured out on 70AD Jerusalem?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is on future Jerusalem/City

• I don't know

• Other

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is interesting to note that the word 'air' here:

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.
17 After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

The word used in Greek means the air we breath, so it is not in heaven nor on earth but a place in-between, I would say a place that HaSatan can not get to us and that is reserved space as it were not accessable to the prince of the power of the air.

Also it doesn't say what the time period is of that time after the Lord descends. It doesn't say he comes to earth, nor does it say how much after that it will be.
The above post taken from another thread.

Revelation 16:17
and the seventh Messenger pours out His bowl/vial into the air<109>

and came out great Voice from the Sanctuary of the heaven from the Throne saying "it has become!"<1096> [Revelation 21:6]

sidebar-preterism.jpg

====================
The word "air" is used in only 7 verses in the entire NT, and I generally become more interested in a word when it is used just a few times.

Here is the meaning of the Greek word used and I post some of the verse below, along with a few commentaries.
It is used for the 7th time in Reve 16:17 [coincidentally, concerning the 7th bowl].
Discuss

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon
aer from aemi
(to breathe unconsciously, i.e. respire; by analogy, to blow); "air" (as naturally circumambient):--air. Compare 5594.
G109 ἀήρ occurs 7 times in 7 verses

STRONGS NT 109: ἀήρ

ἀήρ, ἀέρος, ὁ, (ἄημι, ἄω, [cf. ἄνεμος, at the beginning]),
the air (particularly the lower and denser, as distinguished from the higher and rarer ὁ αἰθήρ, cf. Homer, Iliad 14, 288),
the atmospheric region: Acts 22:23; 1 Thessalonians 4:17; Revelation 9:2; Revelation 16:17; ὁ ἄρχων τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ ἀέρος in Ephesians 2:2 signifies 'the ruler of the powers (spirits, see ἐξουσία 4 c. ββ.) in the air,' i. e. the devil, the prince of the demons that according to Jewish opinion fill the realm of air (cf. Meyer at the passage; [B. D. American edition under the word Air; Stuart in Bib. Sacr. for 1843, p. 139f]).
Sometimes indeed, ἀήρ denotes a hazy, obscure atmosphere (Homer, Iliad 17, 644; 3, 381; 5, 356, etc.; Polybius 18, 3, 7), but is nowhere quite equiv, to σκότος, — the sense which many injudiciously assign it in Ephesians, the passage cited ἀέρα δέρειν, (cf. verberat ictibus auras, Vergil Aen. 5, 377, of pugilists who miss their aim) i. e. to contend in vain, 1 Corinthians 9:26; εἰς ἀέρα λαλεῖν (verba ventis profundere, Lucr. 4, 929 (932)) 'to speak into the air' i. e. without effect, used of those who speak what is not understood by the hearers, 1 Corinthians 14:9.

Acts 22:

1 “Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now.”
23 And they crying out and casting up their garments and throwing dust into the air<109>,
Revelation 18:19 And they cast dust upon their heads and cried-out lamenting and mourning saying "Woe! Woe! the City, the Great, in which are-rich all those having ships in the sea out of her preciousness! that in one hour She was desolated.[#5522

Mark 6:11

Ephesians 2:2
in which once ye walk in according to the age of this world, according to the chief/ruler of the authority of the air<109>,
of the spirit the now in-working<1754> in the sons of the stubbornness

1 Thessalonians 4:17
then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air<109>, and so always with the Lord we shall be;

Revelation 9:2 and he did open the pit/well of the Abyss, and there came up a smoke out of the pit/well, as smoke of a great furnace,
and darkened was the sun and the air<109>, from the smoke of the pit.

and came out great Voice from the Sanctuary of the heaven from the Throne saying "it has become!"<1096> [Revelation 21:6]
===================================
Revelation 16:17 Commentaries: biblehub

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 17. - And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air.
Omit "angel" as before. Upon the air; perhaps as the typical abode of the spirits of evil (cf. Ephesians 2:2, "the prince of the power of the air"); the seat also, so to speak, of the thunders and lightnings which follow. And there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. There are slight variations in the text here. The best authorities omit "of heaven." One manuscript, א, instead of "throne" inserts τοῦ Θεοῦ, "of God." (On the characteristic great voice, see on Revelation 6:1, etc.) The same voice as in ver. 1, probably that of God himself, as the words, "from the throne," seem also to show. It is noticeable that here, as in the seal visions and trumpet visions, we are not explicitly informed of the nature of the last vision. We have the accompanying circumstances described in ver. 18, which are always attendant on the last great manifestation, but the end itself is left unrecorded. In the seals, the last vision is described by the silence in heaven; in the trumpets, the nature of the last judgment is only vaguely alluded to in the triumphant heavenly song. So here, only a brief summary is given (vers. 18, 19) of what actually falls as the last extremity of God's wrath; a fuller account is reserved for Revelation 19.

===================
Benson Commentary

Revelation 16:17-21. And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air — The seat of Satan’s residence, who is emphatically styled, (Ephesians 2:2,) the prince of the power of the air, and is represented (Revelation 16:13,) as a principal actor in these latter scenes; so that this last period will not only complete the ruin of the kingdom of the beast, but will also shake the kingdom of Satan everywhere. Upon the pouring out of this vial, a solemn proclamation is made from the throne of God himself, It is done — In the same sense as the angel before affirmed, Revelation 10:7, that in the days of the seventh trumpet the mystery of God should be finished. Of this vial, as indeed of all the former, the completion is gradual; and the immediate effects and consequences are, (Revelation 16:18-21,)
=========================
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

The Seventh Vial. Preliminaries of Judgement, Revelation 16:17-2117. into the air] Lit. upon the air, according to the best reading.

of heaven] Should be omitted, but of course it is the heavenly Temple that is meant. Here it seems that the Throne (that of Revelation 4:2) is inside it: but see on Revelation 4:6. Though coming from the Throne, this voice is not defined, like that of Revelation 21:5, as the voice of Him that sat on it: but comparing Revelation 21:6 it is possible we ought to take it so.

It is done] More literally, it is come to pass: but the same word is used in St Luke 14:22, where of course the A. V. is right. God’s great Judgement has not come to pass yet, but everything has been done to prepare for it. “One who had fired a train would say ‘It is done,’ though the explosion had not yet taken place,” and, we may add, might use the same words again when it had, as in Revelation 21:6.

===================

Last edited:

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The word "air" is used in only 7 verses in the entire NT, and I generally become more interested in a word when it is used just a few times.
It is used for the 7th time in Reve 16:17 [coincidentally, concerning the 7th bowl].

"air" occurs 43 times in 43 verses in the NKJV.

1st time used in OT

Gen 1:26
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[fn] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Last 3 verses........all in Hosea

Hos 2:18
In that day I will make a covenant for them With the beasts of the field, With the birds of the air, And with the creeping things of the ground.
Bow and sword of battle I will shatter from the earth, To make them lie down safely.
Hos 4:3 Therefore the land will mourn; And everyone who dwells there will waste away With the beasts of the field And the birds of the air; Even the fish of the sea will be taken away.
Hos 7:12
Wherever they go, I will spread My net on them; I will bring them down like birds of the air;
I will chastise them According to what their congregation has heard.
==========================
NT Mainly associated with "birds"

Mat 6:26
“Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Luk 9:58
And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

Act 11:6
When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air.
=======================
There is also "skies" mentioned

Amo 9:6
He who builds His layers in the sky, And has founded His strata in the earth; Who calls for the waters of the sea, And pours them out on the face of the earth—The LORD is His name.
Isa 45:8
“Rain down, you heavens, from above, And let the skies pour down righteousness; Let the earth open, let them bring forth salvation, And let righteousness spring up together. I, the LORD, have created it.

Mat 16:3
“and in the morning, ‘It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites![fn] You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.
Rev 6:14
Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.
==============================

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
and came out great Voice from the Sanctuary<3485> of the heaven from the Throne saying "it has become!"<1096> [Revelation 21:6]

Most version use the word "Temple"<2411>in Revelation, but the correct rendering is "Sanctuary"<3485>. The word "Temple" is never used once in Revelation.

3485. naos from a primary naio
(to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple :--shrine, temple. Compare 2411.
ναός, ναοῦ, ὁ (ναίω to dwell), the Sept. for הֵיכָל, used of the temple at Jerusalem, but only of the sacred edifice (or sanctuary) itself, consisting of the Holy place and the Holy of holies (in classical Greek used of the sanctuary or cell of a temple, where the image of the god was placed, called also δόμος, σηκός, which is to be distinguished from τό ἱερόν, the whole temple, the entire consecrated enclosure; this distinction is observed also in the Bible;
Revelation 11:1; used specifically of the Holy place, where the priests officiated:
G3485 ναός (naos) occurs 46 times in 40 verses
=======================================
1st time used is when the father of John the Baptist is officiating in the Holy Place of the Sanctuary

Luke 1:9
according to the custom of the priesthood, his lot was to make perfume, having gone into the Sanctuary of the Lord

Rev 15:6
and come forth did the seven Messengers having the seven plagues, out of the Sanctuary, clothed in linen, pure and shining, and girded round the breasts with golden girdles:
Rev 15:8
and filled was the sanctuary with smoke from the glory of God, and from His power, and no one was able to enter into the Sanctuary till the seven blows of the seven Messengers may be finished.

Last 2 verses used:

Rev 16:1
And I heard a great voice out of the Sanctuary saying to the seven Messengers, 'Go away! and pour out the vials/bowls of the FURY<2372> of God to the land

New Jerusalem:

Rev 21:

And a Sanctuary I did not see in it, for the Lord God, the Almighty, is its Sanctuary, and the Lambkin,
:23
and the City hath no need of the sun, nor of the moon, that they may shine in it;
for the glory of God did lighten it, and the lamp of it is the Lambkin;

Old Jerusalem:

Revelation 11:
1 And was given to me a reed like-as rod saying "rouse! and measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of the God and the Altar[Golden Altar] and those worshiping in it
2 and the Court/fold<833>[water lavar/Altar of Sacrifice], without of the Sanctuary, be casting-out!<1544> out-side<1854>, and no it thou should be measuring, that it was given to the nations and the holy City they shall be treading<3961> forty two months.
=====

Eze 48:21
'And the residue is for the prince, on this side and on that side of the heave-offering of the holy portion, and of the possession of the City, on the front of the five and twenty thousand of the heave-offering unto the east border, and westward, on the front of the five and twenty thousand on the west border, over-against the portions of the prince; and the heave-offering of the holy portion, and the Sanctuary of the house, hath been in its midst.
================================

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The above post taken from another thread.

sidebar-preterism.jpg

====================

Here is the meaning of the Greek word used and I post some of the verse below, along with a few commentaries.
Discuss

aer from aemi
(to breathe unconsciously, i.e. respire; by analogy, to blow); "air" (as naturally circumambient):--air. Compare 5594.
G109 ἀήρ occurs 7 times in 7 verses

STRONGS NT 109: ἀήρ

ἀήρ, ἀέρος, ὁ, (ἄημι, ἄω, [cf. ἄνεμος, at the beginning]),
the air (particularly the lower and denser, as distinguished from the higher and rarer ὁ αἰθήρ, cf. Homer, Iliad 14, 288),
the atmospheric region: Acts 22:23; 1 Thessalonians 4:17; Revelation 9:2; Revelation 16:17; ὁ ἄρχων τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ ἀέρος in Ephesians 2:2 signifies 'the ruler of the powers (spirits, see ἐξουσία 4 c. ββ.) in the air,' i. e. the devil, the prince of the demons that according to Jewish opinion fill the realm of air (cf. Meyer at the passage; [B. D. American edition under the word Air; Stuart in Bib. Sacr. for 1843, p. 139f]).
Sometimes indeed, ἀήρ denotes a hazy, obscure atmosphere (Homer, Iliad 17, 644; 3, 381; 5, 356, etc.; Polybius 18, 3, 7), but is nowhere quite equiv, to σκότος, — the sense which many injudiciously assign it in Ephesians, the passage cited ἀέρα δέρειν, (cf. verberat ictibus auras, Vergil Aen. 5, 377, of pugilists who miss their aim) i. e. to contend in vain, 1 Corinthians 9:26; εἰς ἀέρα λαλεῖν (verba ventis profundere, Lucr. 4, 929 (932)) 'to speak into the air' i. e. without effect, used of those who speak what is not understood by the hearers, 1 Corinthians 14:9.

Acts 22:

1 “Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now.”
23 And they crying out and casting up their garments and throwing dust into the air<109>,

Ephesians 2:2
in which once ye walk in according to the age of this world, according to the chief/ruler of the authority of the air<109>,
of the spirit the now in-working<1754> in the sons of the stubbornness

1 Thessalonians 4:17
then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air<109>, and so always with the Lord we shall be;

Revelation 9:2 and he did open the pit/well of the Abyss, and there came up a smoke out of the pit/well, as smoke of a great furnace,
and darkened was the sun and the air<109>, from the smoke of the pit.

===================================
Revelation 16:17 Commentaries: biblehub

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 17. - And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air.
Omit "angel" as before. Upon the air; perhaps as the typical abode of the spirits of evil (cf. Ephesians 2:2, "the prince of the power of the air"); the seat also, so to speak, of the thunders and lightnings which follow. And there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. There are slight variations in the text here. The best authorities omit "of heaven." One manuscript, א, instead of "throne" inserts τοῦ Θεοῦ, "of God." (On the characteristic great voice, see on Revelation 6:1, etc.) The same voice as in ver. 1, probably that of God himself, as the words, "from the throne," seem also to show. It is noticeable that here, as in the seal visions and trumpet visions, we are not explicitly informed of the nature of the last vision. We have the accompanying circumstances described in ver. 18, which are always attendant on the last great manifestation, but the end itself is left unrecorded. In the seals, the last vision is described by the silence in heaven; in the trumpets, the nature of the last judgment is only vaguely alluded to in the triumphant heavenly song. So here, only a brief summary is given (vers. 18, 19) of what actually falls as the last extremity of God's wrath; a fuller account is reserved for Revelation 19.

===================
Benson Commentary

Revelation 16:17-21. And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air — The seat of Satan’s residence, who is emphatically styled, (Ephesians 2:2,) the prince of the power of the air, and is represented (Revelation 16:13,) as a principal actor in these latter scenes; so that this last period will not only complete the ruin of the kingdom of the beast, but will also shake the kingdom of Satan everywhere. Upon the pouring out of this vial, a solemn proclamation is made from the throne of God himself, It is done — In the same sense as the angel before affirmed, Revelation 10:7, that in the days of the seventh trumpet the mystery of God should be finished. Of this vial, as indeed of all the former, the completion is gradual; and the immediate effects and consequences are, (Revelation 16:18-21,)
=========================
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

The Seventh Vial. Preliminaries of Judgement, Revelation 16:17-2117. into the air] Lit. upon the air, according to the best reading.

of heaven] Should be omitted, but of course it is the heavenly Temple that is meant. Here it seems that the Throne (that of Revelation 4:2) is inside it: but see on Revelation 4:6. Though coming from the Throne, this voice is not defined, like that of Revelation 21:5, as the voice of Him that sat on it: but comparing Revelation 21:6 it is possible we ought to take it so.

It is done] More literally, it is come to pass: but the same word is used in St Luke 14:22, where of course the A. V. is right. God’s great Judgement has not come to pass yet, but everything has been done to prepare for it. “One who had fired a train would say ‘It is done,’ though the explosion had not yet taken place,” and, we may add, might use the same words again when it had, as in Revelation 21:6.

===================
I never read commentaries because most of them are written in the 1800's by men who did not live in the end times, when knowledge had not expanded like in our times in the day of the internet, when information is broad and accessible. They were operating from a limited number of sources.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Any more views on what City the bowls of wrath are being poured on?
Babylon the Great is the mystical kingdom of Satan and his angels. It overshadows the world and occupies the nations.

For the kingdoms of this world to become the kingdoms of God and His Christ, Babylon the Great must be dismantled and destroyed.

Revelation 18 is about the dismantling of Babylon the Great. Revelation 16, the seventh bowel is completion of the destruction of Babylon the Great.

Upvote 0