Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
On one thing the bishop may get his wish. If Pope Francis' pontificate lasts longer than he expects, I think he will look at getting rid of the celibacy mandate. He is more focused on other things right now, so I don't believe anything is imminent, but he has said this issue is on his radar. And there are secondhand reports that he has strong opinions in favor of abolishing the requirement, but because they're secondhand I take them with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In an op-ed to the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/opinion/how-the-pope-might-renew-the-church.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

and an interview with "America:"
http://americamagazine.org/content/all-things/california-bishop-voices-support-ordination-women

the 94 year-old bishop supports optional celibacy for priests, women's ordination, and communion for divorced/remarried couples.

Here's a test of the proposed rule! Can you be as open-minded and respectful as Pope Francis is willing to be?
The pope can ask Bishops to speak their minds all they want but some things neither the pope or any bishop can change. Woman will never be ordained. Its just not theologically possible. It would really be for your good if you would just accept this.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not theologically possible because human beings decided it wasn't theologically possible during a very patriarchal period of world history.

I realize that the interpretation was based on the Gospels, but when I look at the Gospels I see a Jesus who had very progressive attitudes towards women but who, in order to get a Church started without interfering with the human race supernaturally (e.g. brainwashing the world male population) he was only able to leave clues about how progressive he would be in a more egalitarian era.

As I said, I've seen "never" happen too many times to believe that the "never" interpretation of a primitive civilization will hold forever...

But as I also said, it ain't gonna happen in the next thirty years, so it's not a priority for me.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
It's interesting but Bishop Quinn does not explain how it is theologically possible. Pope Francis has confirmed that it is impossible so Bishop Quinn can talk about how the Church would benefit, but the Church would benefit from a few things She can not do. I am more than willing to read his arguments and ponder them. But unless he makes an argument that explains how it is possible within the nature of the Sacrament it is an exercise is free discussion (which is fine) but not an argument on the merit and possibility of the idea. I would be interested to see, if he has such an argument, what it is.

Hi,

The answers to the question is, who ever offered Him up on the cross.

The most notable Persons who offered up Jesus on the cross are God The Father. God The Son. God The Holy Spirit. Mary The Virgin Mother of God.

The question is, name at least four significant early priests.

The above seems very Theologically possible. Each of the above had ownership, of Jesus. Each gave up that ownership for us.

Thus, Mary, The Vigin Mother of God is a priest like Jesus. She is the Spouse of The Holy Spirit, thus she is also the spouse of God, as The Holy Spirit is God. Being the spouse, what is His is now hers, and what is hers in now His.

Now to God, since God gave up Jesus, thus making God the first priest, and The Virgin Mary is the spouse of God, she too gave Him, up thus making her a priest in doing so. A priest like God.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have no idea why it is important to you or anyone else. I'm a woman, I have no issues with the woman's role in the Church, not being allowed to be ordained.

???

We understand that the issue isn't important to you, a woman.

What I don't understand is why you have no idea how this issue could be important to "anyone else". After all, they too are women. ???? There are many women, religious and non-religious who feel called by God' some think that they are called to priests. Obviously, this cannot happen in the Roman Catholic Church or in many other churches. And, yes, we should all realize this, no matter whether theological arguments can be mustered to support women's ordination.

This issue clearly IS IMPORTANT to many people. The Church will continue to be clear on the matter.

Upvote 0

Searching_for_Christ

simul justus et peccator
Nov 14, 2009
In my mind.
✟18,609.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

The answers to the question is, who ever offered Him up on the cross.

The most notable Persons who offered up Jesus on the cross are God The Father. God The Son. God The Holy Spirit. Mary The Virgin Mother of God.

The question is, name at least four significant early priests.

The above seems very Theologically possible. Each of the above had ownership, of Jesus. Each gave up that ownership for us.

Thus, Mary, The Vigin Mother of God is a priest like Jesus. She is the Spouse of The Holy Spirit, thus she is also the spouse of God, as The Holy Spirit is God. Being the spouse, what is His is now hers, and what is hers in now His.

Now to God, since God gave up Jesus, thus making God the first priest, and The Virgin Mary is the spouse of God, she too gave Him, up thus making her a priest in doing so. A priest like God.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

What? I don't even know where to start...but...WHAT?

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
What? I don't even know where to start...but...WHAT?

Hi,

This was offered to Davidnic. Start anyplace. It seems quite simple to me. I am new at this though, the idea of Mary, The Virgin Mary actually being a priest.

LOVE,
...Mary Katerina., .... .

Upvote 0

Searching_for_Christ

simul justus et peccator
Nov 14, 2009
In my mind.
✟18,609.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

This was offered to Davidnic. Start anyplace. It seems quite simple to me. I am new at this though, the idea of Mary, The Virgin Mary actually being a priest.

LOVE,
My point was that I think a lot of what you just said came completely out of left field.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

LOVE,
She was\is not a priest. We all can share by offering up but its not the same as being a priest. Women will never be priest so there is no point in discussing this.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
My point was that I think a lot of what you just said came completely out of left field.

Hi,

I looked up your words. They seem to be this: Out of left field" is American slang meaning "unexpectedly", "odd" or "strange". The phrase came from baseballterminology referring to the area covered by the left fielder who has the farthest throw to first base. Variations include "out in left field" and simply "left field".[1]

If that is what you meant, I am still confused. Davidnic asked for how it is theologically possible for women to be ordained, but from that Bishop. I offered a theological possilbility to him.

That possibility is Mary was a priest by a certain definition. Thus maybe other women could be ordained also.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
She was\is not a priest. We all can share by offering up but its not the same as being a priest. Women will never be priest so there is no point in discussing this.

Hi,

I see you don't wish to participate, as you said:
...there is no point in discussing this.

Thank you.

LOVE,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Just don't say Mary was\is a priest. That crosses the line. Thank you.

Hi,

How is it, you can say
...there is no point in discussing this.
yet still threaten me? And why the harsh tone?

Davidnic asked, and now you wish to be rough?

Is Jesus a priest?

LOVE,

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Stop saying Mary was/is a priest. Thank you.

Hi,

There are things I can be censored for I am sure. Your attempts at censorship are not shared by everyone.

Here below is someone else's comment:

Bishop Quinn's article was not in a peer-reviewed theology journal, so I would not expect a theological dissertation. He is giving his opinion, which carries some weight due to his past position and experience.

However, the theological possibilities have been presented by a number of Catholic theologians. The theology does exist, even though it is not subscribed to by the Church Magisterium. As you likely know, there is now, and there has been over the history of the Church, theological discussion that has moved beyond the bounds of whatever is considered orthodox. Most lay Catholics are simply not aware of it.

How is it, that you think you can and should censor me?????

LOVE,

Upvote 0