Resolving the Ethics of Mosaic Law

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I was once told by a Christian that they believed the United States should go back to either outlawing and jailing homosexuals (a crime prior to the Stonewall Riots and Gay Rights Marches of the 70s). Another added that it should not only be a crime, but should be punishable by death, following Mosaic Law in Leviticus.

When asked about calls to also enforce, say, stoning disobedient children and those who work on the Sabbath, I was told that those laws were of a different category, which we are no longer under, while the sexual ones we are. It makes it rather confusing, then, to try to know which ones are still in play. Commandment : You shall have no other gods before me. Active. Commandment: You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain. Not so much. One can hear "o m g" said in common conversation, from peppered in young girls' gossip, to adults, without even thinking about whether it is right or wrong. Men with often use "God" with "damn it" or say "Jesus" as a swear, often to demonstrate the masculinity of being vulgar.
Commandment: Honor the Sabbath and keep it holy.
God is said to have rested on the 7th day, and one is told to do the same. However, does anyone go to confession, asking to be forgiven for working at the mall on the Sabbath? Does "a day of rest" even register in modern day Christian society? And of those who try to honor it, isn't "resting" by going to a restaurant, shopping or a movie make someone else break the commandment that you are trying to follow?

When discussing the passage of "Let he without sin cast the first stone" is used to chide someone from condemning another, I hear a warped interpretation from some Christians. The Pharisees catch a woman committing adultery. They bring her to Jesus, and say that according to Scripture she should be stoned to death, and seek Jesus' approval. If he agrees, then he violates Roman law of murder. If he disagrees, he violates God's law, and Scripture, and proves himself not the Son of God.

Christ draws in the sand (possibly the sins of the accusers), and says at last, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Reluctantly, being humbled, the drop their stones, and walk away in shame. Christ says, "where are those who accuse you?" She says, "They have all gone." He says, "Neither do I condemn you. Your sins have been forgiven. Go and sin no more."

The point that some Christians see from this story is that Jesus told her to stop sinning. That is the main point, they argue. I point out that Jesus was without sin. Jesus could have cast the first stone, and didn't. They counter, "well, maybe he wasn't a witness to the adultery. You have to be caught in the act. Also, there must be at least 2 or 3 witnesses." In other words, had Jesus caught the woman, they are arguing, he would have stone her to death, following Mosaic Law (and probably arrested for murder under Roman Law.) They point out that he commanded her to stop sinning, and that is all that it is about.

However, I simply disagree. First, the men accusing the woman had no intention of serving God by stoning her to death. They were concerned with entrapping Jesus, even if that meant that they would have to kill a woman to do it. It is also important to point out that he said "Neither do I condemn you", because he forgave her sin. He came to the earth to save it, John says, not condemn it.

When I hear people digging into Mosaic Law to justify execution of all homosexuals, I have to ask whether it is because they want to serve God and follow the bible, or because they want to justify their murderous hatred. This is further supported by the same group ignoring other death penalties.

And what of the person that goes out into this world in mercy? How does one resolve, for example, what they see as immoral, where homosexuals are hung or beheaded in the Middle East, following the Quran, and thier own text which says: "Man shall not lie with man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Their blood is upon them. Surely they shall be put to death"?

The easiest, and most common, is to ignore it. Unfortunately, nonChristians will ask you to explain the justification of, say, Elijah calling out to God when children teased him disrepectfully, and God sending she-bears to maul them.

How do you resolve such things?

To me, it seems that it is not God who changes, but man's understanding of God, and what God wants. Man went from understanding that God demanding sacrifice, and observing of law, to understanding that God is merciful, and wants man to be happy, and live full, abundant lives. Man went from thinking of God as the destroyer, God Almighty, God who demands worship, to God the defender, the comforter, the healer, God who gives love, rather than demands it.

It seems to me that there are then 2 camps: Those who use the bible as a weapon against others, looking to the OT, the antiquated understanding, as the accusers of the adultress, not to serve God, but to justify their own desires, justify their lack of love, and claim it as God's will, and those who struggle with the OT, seeing the conflict of The Christ and his commands, trying to live by those, and yet, maintain that the OT commands, such as death penalties, were just at the time as well.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Bible is not God's dictated word to man, but man's understanding and revelation of God, which is pretty complicated in light of our human nature to take revenge, to think of ourselves first, etc. But as mankind matured in his understanding, his thinking and understanding of what God wants and what God is changed dramaticallly as well, even as it continues today, where women are now seen as equals to men, or slavery is clearly understood as immoral. We are understanding that the simplicity of loving your neighbor as yourself truly does fulfill all of the law, and that the petty laws once placed under us are lifted, as Christ demonstrated when healing on the Sabbath, or not washing his hands prior to eating. He revealed a deeper meaning behind, and in so, gave mankind the understanding that God wishes for man to be free, and not burdened with law.

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What a wonderful post, Beanieboy! I especially enjoy and agree with your conclusion:
The only conclusion I can come to is that the Bible is not God's dictated word to man, but man's understanding and revelation of God, which is pretty complicated in light of our human nature to take revenge, to think of ourselves first, etc. But as mankind matured in his understanding, his thinking and understanding of what God wants and what God is changed dramaticallly as well, even as it continues today, where women are now seen as equals to men, or slavery is clearly understood as immoral. We are understanding that the simplicity of loving your neighbor as yourself truly does fulfill all of the law, and that the petty laws once placed under us are lifted, as Christ demonstrated when healing on the Sabbath, or not washing his hands prior to eating. He revealed a deeper meaning behind, and in so, gave mankind the understanding that God wishes for man to be free, and not burdened with law.
I can't help but agree that the Bible must be a record of man's understanding of God. There are a few odd mistakes (like rabbits chewing cud), that conflict with reality. Of course, I also feel that much of the Bible wasn't ever meant to be taken literally, but is instead designed to convey a certain moral or morals.

However, when it comes to the OT laws, I feel that they were replaced by Jesus, the Christ's two new commandments: Love the Lord thy God, and Love thy Neighbor as Thyself! I don't feel that any of the old laws apply anymore.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
To any who want to have the 'sexual' laws of the OT restored, just ask them if they have a daughter/grand daughter/niece/ect. This works best if said person is a child or teenager and who can be assumed to be a virgin (otherwise she just needs to be killed, unless she is married, of course). Now, show them Deut. 22:28-29. Basically, if anyone raped the girl is question, he would have to pay 50 shekels of silver, about $150, though let us just up it to $300 for inflation to be safe, to the father and then marry her.
What if he is a child molester? Well, nothing actually, unless he happens to be her father also, then he gets killed.
What if he has already 'married' a child before? Well, nothing permits a number of wives, just got to provide for them all.

Come on, I don't see why rapist (at least those who only rape women who are not engaged/married) are not demanding we go back to OT sex laws. They could get how many wives again? Though if after the rape the women overcame the trauma and got married to another man, then the woman need to be killed. She didn't give her virginity to her husband, so she is a horrible human who needs to be removed from the population.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
There is kind of Matrix Scene for God.
On the one hand, the God of the OT, who judges and destroys for the pettiest of crimes.
On the other, Jesus, who forgives the worst sins, and does not condemn, but saves, offers mercy, hope, love, justice, and defends people against the misuse of scripture itself.

The offer themselves the God of Mercy, and offer the other, the God of Wrath.
They offer themselves the freedom from the law, while enslaving others in it, even ridiculously asking them to adhere to archaic verses, whose surrounding verses they ignore, or admit are archaic.

That is exactly what the Pharisees did, and I am amazed how clear that is, and yet, people often don't see it, nor acknowledge it, even though it is all throughout the Gospel, the books which Christians usually focus upon.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Well this certainly is a different gospel than the one delivered by the apostles and disciples of Jesus, not historic apostolic Christianity.

Regarding the OP, the stoning was the punishment, there is no punishment to be carried out in the NT covenant in Christ, just as Jesus did not condemn the woman caught in adultery but told her to leave her life of sin. Jesus has become the judge, there is no condemnation for those in Christ.
However the sexual prohibitions are of a different category than other such as the dietry ones, Christ’s NT teaching no longer requires diet (Mark 7, Romans 12) but does require fleeing sexual immorality (Romans 1, 1 Cor 6)

When discussing the passage of "Let he without sin cast the first stone" is used to chide someone from condemning another, I hear a warped interpretation from some Christians.
Well it clearly isn’t just that, Jesus did not say don’t, He said the one without sin should. To miss this is to miss the heart of the gospel of what Christ has done; and yes that’s the issue with homosexuality, the pro-gay Christianity misses the heart of the gospel, its false teaching.

The point that some Christians see from this story is that Jesus told her to stop sinning. That is the main point, they argue. I point out that Jesus was without sin. Jesus could have cast the first stone, and didn't.
This is true but Jesus did say to her leave her life of sin and Jesus teaching included frequent calls to repent of sin or perish.

However, I simply disagree.
Then you miss the heart of the gospel as you have not received the whole revelation. Yes Jesus came to save and not condemn but you then miss the very salvation.

The problem with your argument is that according to Christ’s NT teaching wilful homosexual offense still results in eternal death. (1 Cor 6 and Rom 1) What you are doing is pretending the passages that condemn same sex relations don’t mean what they say and accept other passages do mean what they say.

To me, it seems that it is not God who changes, but man's understanding of God, and what God wants.
This is what happens with the pro-gay group, By claiming the prohibitions throughout God’s testimony and the different times do not mean what they say they then say men have now come to understand God. It is called false teaching for itching ears that true believers are warned about.

True believers do not use the Bible as a weapon against others, those who don’t believe the Bible just feel that way because they have been convicted of the sin.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Bible is not God's dictated word to man, but man's understanding and revelation of God,
Well it is the revelation of God, all scripture is God breathed, but some of it of course is dictated by God. The pro-gay and liberal thinking changes the truth slightly to be most sounding true, but with a change to accommodate their own worldviews.

But yes there are 2 camps, opposing and actually fundamentally opposing wordlviews and faiths.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

I groan inside when people say Jesus came to forgive my sins so I choose to do x, y, and z which is obviously sinful because after all, nobody is perfect.
If people know Jesus forgives their sin they wont want to sin. Its a demonstration of who actually believes and who doesnt, and indicative of the pro-gay and liberal Christian worldview.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are a few odd mistakes (like rabbits chewing cud), that conflict with reality.

Point of order: rabbits do chew their cud in the way it was understood in the OT (eating a lot of grass to aid digestion). The OT classifies things in different ways based on different information. Similarly, the OT term we translate as "bird" means "flying things," not "feathered things," hence why bats are in that category.

As far as the original topic...it's really not as hard as people make it out to be. There is a clear and easy-to-find line between sins (things with a moral element), impurities (things that happen naturally but are not blameworthy), and lifestyle commands (i.e. not using two different types of cloth together). You can tell them apart based on the remedies that attached. With Christ, the remedies have changed, but the morality has not. Things that were never sins in the first place still aren't. Things that the OT labels as sins (i.e. homosexuality) still are.

Upvote 0