Visit site
✟41,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Am I the only one who thinks that the reputation system needs to be reset? It's kind of gotten to the point of ridiculous in the many years I've been here. I've been here since 2004, and remember when your reputation actually meant an ounce of something. We should actually be building rep from making decent points, and not just having topics purely built to increase your rep level. Kind of takes all meaning out of it ;).

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People worried about forum reputation kind of amuses me and makes me think they need to see more sunlight. :p

You are only saying that because you have only 19 quadillion rep points, while awesome posters like myself have 130 quadillion rep points. :p

I think the numbers are just out of hand. The newest posters here often have over a million reps. And many of us have rep points into the quadillions and quintillions. Thats because if I rep one new poster I can instantly give him 130 trillion rep points.

I do like the reps for the function that a person can basically "like" your post and send you a message of approval or something. But the numbers of rep points are getting out of hand. I they they should just ditch teh rep point system all together and have a like feature that allows people to send a message of approval like they do now when they rep you.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOliveSeed
Upvote 0

PhantomTorment

Seeking Wisdom
May 3, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟41,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not hung up on it, it's just something I noticed because it unevenly stretches my screen, so it's bothering me ;).

I like the idea of having the reputation system, it's just that as you said Luther073082, it has just gotten out of hand.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not hung up on it, it's just something I noticed because it unevenly stretches my screen, so it's bothering me ;).

I like the idea of having the reputation system, it's just that as you said Luther073082, it has just gotten out of hand.

If they are going to do it, why not just give each person one point for every post that is repped regardless of who's doing the repping?

Even then I'm not a fan of it.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they are going to do it, why not just give each person one point for every post that is repped regardless of who's doing the repping?

Even then I'm not a fan of it.
That's 'essentially' the way it worked years ago, except in reverse. A member's reputation power was directly linked to the amount of reps they'd already given, using some sort of algorithm that kept the repping power (and thus, the overall rep points received) low. If I remember correctly, I didn't hit 1000 rep points received until like a years after I'd signed up, and my repping power at the time was something like 71. Big disparity there.

Then, at some point - I want to say 2005 or 2006 - threads intended solely for people to rep each other and raise their rankings started in the Recreation area. You started seeing these posters then repping outside of this area, and it spilled over to the other parts of the forum.

Then, at some later point, the rep system was revised (I'm guessing so that it would no longer be obvious which posters don't do a lot of repping, since said posters may have lopsided reps received vs. repping power) so that your rep power was now a percentage of your reps received. I want to say 10%. Members who were around prior to the change will have a power that slightly differs from that fixed percentage, IIRC.

A slightly similar thing also started happening with the Blessings. At first, you got one per post, and there were no generous elder members with loads of them that would distribute them to newbies as soon as they saw them (I still remember the race for a single poster to get a million blessings so that they could buy the highest-costing item in the item shop for their Denominational section - at the time, that was a really lofty goal). In addition, the ability to have an avatar, a signature, or custom user text cost blessings, so you had to stick around and post if you wanted those privileges, and it would take a while for you to earn enough again to change them. Then the Jobs business and bank was implemented and it became possible to stockpile or earn them quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D.RoK11

Feb 16, 2005
✟877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Am I the only one who thinks that the reputation system needs to be reset? It's kind of gotten to the point of ridiculous in the many years I've been here. I've been here since 2004, and remember when your reputation actually meant an ounce of something. We should actually be building rep from making decent points, and not just having topics purely built to increase your rep level. Kind of takes all meaning out of it ;).

100% agree bro. i think you should post this as a suggestion in the suggestion forum or whatever it's called. rep don't mean nothin now. i remember the old days too.

Upvote 0