Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There are times where I feel so abandoned by God. I have questioned God and had thoughts of cursing Him and giving up trying. It's such an uphill battle for me. Like trying to climb a mountain with my feet chained to two trucks. It's hard not to feel like 1984. Like I had one bad thought. I did one bad thing that started everything and now it's the ministry of love for me with O'Brien. I wish I thought of God the same way I did as a kid but.... I have no idea if I'm saved, if I was ever saved. I grew up thinking I only needed to fear evil and now that God is the ultimate terror I feel like I have unhealthy images of Him. I know I have to keep fighting but I feel so rejected by God. If He has rejected me it is because I am evil but how do I get out of these unhealthy views?

Last edited:

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who do you think God intends for you to be? I'm firmly convinced that you (and every other person) is intended to be a unique person that will reflect the glory of God in a way no one else can. It is easy to get sidetracked from this. The trials, the journey, the unique history we each have is used by God to mold us into unique works of art. As we move forward, it sometimes seems like God changes the playing field and moves us into new adventures (which can be uncomfortable and scary at first). He could leave us the same in one place, but He wants us to move on to grow into the individual He envisions us to become. The unique trials and challenges you face can eventually become a source of experience and growth.

Sometimes, our focus is not what God's focus is. We need to recognize what God thinks is the important thing to work on in us is not what we think is the highest priority. Sometimes there is some besetting sin we think should be the focus. Maybe God has something else He wants to work on first. Maybe the sin is a symptom of something deeper we don't see. Sometimes bad situations are a time to learn patience and endurance; sometimes they are a strong hint from God that change is imminent. (For me, last fall, after almost 30 years of constant employment, it took my work environment becoming unbearable, before I realized I needed to move to a different phase of my life and now I'm weighing semi-retirement or something else.)

Most believers at some point do question their relationship with God. When Jesus told the 12 one would betray him, all of them starting questioning themselves. Hang in there. Do you have a good support group of Christian friends? That can make all the difference in how we feel when we have people praying for and encouraging us in person.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are times where I feel so abandoned by God. Like He's there but would rather watch me squirm and suffer than rescue me. I have questioned God and had thoughts of cursing Him and giving up trying. It's such an uphill battle for me. Like trying to climb a mountain with my feet chained to two trucks. It's hard not to feel like 1984. Like I had one bad thought. I did one bad thing that started everything and now it's the ministry of love for me with O'Brien. I wish I thought of God the same way I did as a kid but.... I have no idea if I'm saved, if I was ever saved. I grew up thinking I only needed to fear evil and now that God is the ultimate terror I feel like I have unhealthy images of Him. I know I have to keep fighting but I feel so rejected by God. If He has rejected me it is because I am evil but how do I get out of these unhealthy views?

Do you read your Bible? You have to know that mankind (that is you) has an enemy called satan. These bad thoughts you are having do not originate with you, but from the enemy of God. God has not rejected you. I suggest you repent and turn back to Him. He loves you. Read your Bible. Learn of His love for you. This will bring you out.

• Agree
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are times where I feel so abandoned by God. Like He's there but would rather watch me squirm and suffer than rescue me. I have questioned God and had thoughts of cursing Him and giving up trying. It's such an uphill battle for me. Like trying to climb a mountain with my feet chained to two trucks. It's hard not to feel like 1984. Like I had one bad thought. I did one bad thing that started everything and now it's the ministry of love for me with O'Brien. I wish I thought of God the same way I did as a kid but.... I have no idea if I'm saved, if I was ever saved. I grew up thinking I only needed to fear evil and now that God is the ultimate terror I feel like I have unhealthy images of Him. I know I have to keep fighting but I feel so rejected by God. If He has rejected me it is because I am evil but how do I get out of these unhealthy views?
God is not the only Spirit that can whisper in your ear. Think about that for a minute..

So... if God says we have not been given a spirit of fear or bondage.... then anything that comes at you with fear and threats of bondage IS A SPIRIT but isn't the Holy Spirit. My suggestion beyond the obvious (spend some time talking to God and getting quiet long enough to hear) is read Genesis 37-50. Read the whole story of Joseph... look what he went through, look how he saw God working through it... and look what happens to him when he stands firm in his faith.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God is not the only Spirit that can whisper in your ear. Think about that for a minute..

So... if God says we have not been given a spirit of fear or bondage.... then anything that comes at you with fear and threats of bondage IS A SPIRIT but isn't the Holy Spirit. My suggestion beyond the obvious (spend some time talking to God and getting quiet long enough to hear) is read Genesis 37-50. Read the whole story of Joseph... look what he went through, look how he saw God working through it... and look what happens to him when he stands firm in his faith.

I've been told a lot that fear is never from God but I just see a lot in the bible of God cutting people off. Destroying them. Hardening them so they can't be saved. And the people afraid of punishment but unable to turn.

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost, let's discuss your salvation. Have you repented, meaning believing WHO Christ is and WHAT He did for man on the Cross? Can you admit you are a sinner and that the ONLY thing that can save you is FAITH in Jesus Christ...?

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First and foremost, let's discuss your salvation. Have you repented, meaning believing WHO Christ is and WHAT He did for man on the Cross? Can you admit you are a sinner and that the ONLY thing that can save you is FAITH in Jesus Christ...?

Yes, but I've also tried the sinner's prayer many times. Sometimes I have strong doubts still. Like I struggle with mental illness, and sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been told a lot that fear is never from God but I just see a lot in the bible of God cutting people off. Destroying them. Hardening them so they can't be saved. And the people afraid of punishment but unable to turn.
This might be hard to understand but let's give it shot? :) We are raised to read the bible from a "everything is related to eternal salvation" mindset. So, when we see God get angry, cut somebody off, even kill them... we see an eternally lost person or situation. But that isn't necessarily the case. Punishment in this life doesn't always parlay over into punishment in the next. The guy who spent his life abusing his body with drugs and alcohol can repent and get right with God AND STILL DIE because of all of the damage he did to his body.

The only ones who won't be saved are the ones in rebellion who with desire have chosen to stand AGAINST GOD. When that happens, God will give them over to a reprobate mind and they will no longer consider God in their thoughts and heart. However... you ARE considering Him in your heart and thoughts which means He hasn't turned you over to a reprobate mind. Therefore, no matter what anyone else tells you or regardless of what you hear or tell yourself... it is not too late for you.

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but I've also tried the sinner's prayer many times. Sometimes I have strong doubts still. Like I struggle with mental illness, and sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

It's not about what you do, other than having FAITH that CHRIST saves you. Not your works, not your behavior, not if you get your mental illness under control, but if you BELIEVE that Christ died for YOU and Saved YOU.

Get the performance mentality out of your head and have FAITH in Christ, then when other things may seem doubtful, you will KNOW that you are saved...

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This might be hard to understand but let's give it shot? :) We are raised to read the bible from a "everything is related to eternal salvation" mindset. So, when we see God get angry, cut somebody off, even kill them... we see an eternally lost person or situation. But that isn't necessarily the case. Punishment in this life doesn't always parlay over into punishment in the next. The guy who spent his life abusing his body with drugs and alcohol can repent and get right with God AND STILL DIE because of all of the damage he did to his body.

The only ones who won't be saved are the ones in rebellion who with desire have chosen to stand AGAINST GOD. When that happens, God will give them over to a reprobate mind and they will no longer consider God in their thoughts and heart. However... you ARE considering Him in your heart and thoughts which means He hasn't turned you over to a reprobate mind. Therefore, no matter what anyone else tells you or regardless of what you hear or tell yourself... it is not too late for you.

No one who is TRULY saved will be given over to a reprobate mind because they are SEALED with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. Even in a backslidden state, a person who was TRULY saved, IS truly saved...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No one who is TRULY saved will be given over to a reprobate mind because they are SEALED with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. Even in a backslidden state, a person who was TRULY saved, IS truly saved...
This is not a thread to debate that. If you want to write me privately, I would be happy to address that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You say you read the Bible..read about one of Jesus best friends, Peter. Did Jesus cut Peter off? When Peter went and walked on the water, did Jesus let Peter drown? When Peter denied Jesus three times, did Jesus forgive Peter?

Didnt Jesus say I will never leave you nor forsake you? When a sheep goes astray, doesnt He leave the 99 (in safety) to go after the one thats gone astray?

When you think of God, do you think of Jesus his only begotten Son whos made in His image? Why would Jesus be unhealthy? GOd is a healer, and Jesus went round making people whole. What is unhealthy about that?

Do you understand who Jesus is?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Deerglow youve said you suffer OCD is that correct. Many ppl who post in christian advice have had the same problem. You need to replace thoughts that are lies with the truth, and you can rebuke false thoughts. They dont come from you, they are intrusive right? Tell those resentful thoughts to get lost, in Jesus name.

Think of things that are lovely, things that are pure..memorise this verse. PHilippians 4:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Please note that all believers at times have doubts. We all have times we feel like God isn't there. We all have times we struggle. There are seasons in our life. We have ups and downs. What I've observed in my life and others is that faith and confidence is something that grows and matures over time as we hang in there and God shapes us into who He wants us to be. In the first 5 to 10 years of my Christian walk, I did go through times of wondering if I was really saved, if I had sinned one too many times, or I had inadvertently hit the unforgivable one. I was concerned about knowing my call so I wouldn't waste my life and earning treasure in heaven. Now, 40 some years into my Christian walk, I cannot recall the last time I had any serious doubts. I've also found the Christian life (as someone previously said) is not about performance, it's about walking with Him. I've learned that His yoke is easy and His burden light. These were words I knew as a young believer, but it took time for them to become real to me.

In the tough times, I've had a few "fixed points" as I think of them that I would hold to like anchors. These fixed points are times I saw and felt things happen that only could have been God doing something. Much like the blind man in John 9, "one thing I do know, I was blind but now I see". "Knowing" we are saved should be based on what God has done, not how we feel or think on a given day. It is not merely an intellectual agreement of a stated fact that can never be doubted. It is a gut sense of certainty that He is there and living within us in spite of what else is happening. This certainty is something that increases the longer we walk with God. One day of prayer, Bible reading, fellowship, and other spiritual practices may not have a noticeable difference, but months, years, and decades of them will. It's like watching a fire slowly start. You can see the initial small flame lightly and weakly flickering in the kindling. Eventually, it turns into a roaring blaze. In Matthew 12:15-21, the prophet Isaiah is quoted to describe Jesus' ministry. One line is "a smoldering wick he will not snuff out". Some people testify they've never had any doubts. I (and many others) have not been blessed with that but have had to work through doubts.

Reactions: Romans10:9
Upvote 0

Bud A

Dec 5, 2016
Florida
✟9,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts are not sin unless dwelled upon and not rejected in faith. Concentrate on your faith in God in the Work of Christ on the Cross already done and completed perfectly on our behalf, not your thoughts. I have bad and even evil thoughts at times, but by God's grace alone I reject them and before I even am able to realize it, they are gone, I believe solely by God's Great Grace Alone, not of any works on my part.

The entire process of fighting and being victorious over sin is the gospel, good news of Christ. Christ has already won the battle against the forces of evil and satan. All we need to is claim the victory in Christ Alone, and just keep doing it until God calls us Home.

Bud A

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think you need to begin somewhere with your relationship with God, maybe just praying everyday for 3 minutes. Just share your day with Him, it doesn't need to be any formal prayer.

It could be like "Hi Lord, you know I'm not so good with prayer, but I want to start so I thought I would tell you about my day. Sometimes I get so angry about little things, like this morning when I couldn't find my other shoe. It turned out to be very bad and I know I could have gotten my clothes all together last night and avoided all this anger. And I feel so bad because I was cursing so much and that is not the person I want to be. Then later when my boss gave me someone else's work, I was resentful to both him and the other person. I know that I should do all things to glorify you and do them in a way that brings you glory for a job well done, but in that moment I forgot all about you and just reacted. I know I need to try to control my thoughts more and take a deep breath and ....

Something like that. Very simple. Just start there.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟31,097.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We must trust in the Lord with all our heart, and by all means stop leaning to our own understanding: for this very cause did Christ tell us that we must deny (disown) ourselves (our own will). When we have seemingly endless hardships we do tend to feel God has abandoned us at least in part; but for me I always call to remembrance what Job said in his affliction and his also wondering if God abandoned him; he said that even if God were to slay him, he would still trust in Him: we must learn to trust God in all circumstances of life.

Upvote 0

Ajushi

Jan 1, 2010
✟20,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What you're describing is pretty common and it happens because of Christians not having their needs met, and being taught sound Christian doctrine

The problem you have is not resentful thoughts – the problem is you're not experiencing God's love, you need deliverance ministry, you need healing of your heart wounds, and loving intimate healthy relationship with a marriage partner if you're the sort of desires intimacy, or at least benevolent agape type love with loving Christian friends for that minority of people or not the sort who desire intimacy .

The churches havecdone a terrible thing of word cursing each other, that is when things are said in the faith that have the affect of discouraging each other, dismissing each other's human needs, or making eachother feel condemned or hopeless about finding a spouse.
Also sound doctrine is rarely being taught, and effective deliverance ministry is almost unheard of. So the majority of Christians, even though they inwardly want a good connection with God and want to be experiencing Holiness and not be struggling with sexual sin, and want to be having their human needs met (such as their intimacy needs) in the only manner acceptable to God (of marriage), are instead being traumatized by bad doctrine and tortured by demons.

Tragically, when this is explained to many of the saints, they often resist the Spirit and the Word and will even persecute the person saying it.

Christians need a loving comforting relationship with God through the indwelling Holy Spirit, and to be out of sin and walking in Holiness, and for most Christians this requires deliverance, inner healing of heart wounds, and a healthy marriage is also extremely helpful for most Christians wherein the husband and wife do not deprive each other of intimacy.

Sound doctrine should be taught and practiced in the churches as well which includes many more things like as described in 2corinthians 6 and elsewhere, breaking all unbelieving friendships and coming out and being separate from the world, protecting the flock from wolves, Advancing the Gospel outwardly to the heavy laden and the poor in spirit from there. Christian should be meeting each other's love needs and finding marriage partners and most Christians, because we cannot thrive in unbelieving relationships.

Then when we understand what Christian life is and what churches he should be doing to help prevent each other from collapsing (which is what it sounds like you are experiencing right now, is a collapsed and overwhelmed and backslidden state), and then we take a look around and realize what's going on in the churches instead (as well as the surrounding sexually degenerate culture) then we understand what Jesus meant when he said many false prophets will rise up and the love of many will grow cold and those who stand firm to the end will be saved

But that said, we can still have a good outcome, and the best outcome possible for us. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to have a positive relationship with God, be useful in advancing the Gospel, be walking in Holiness, and find a good marriage, and our other human needs met.

But I can say that there's no chance at all of that if we're not connected to other Christians who understand what's going on, that deliverance is necessary, and that love and encouragement are necessary, sound doctrine is necessary, and that those who struggle with their intimacy needs being unmet should be greatly encouraged about finding marriage partners .

The starting point, whether talking about an individual Christian, or a whole church, is confessing out sins to God and having true repentance and being washed and regenerated to the renewal of the Holy Ghost, ask God to reset you.

Upvote 0