Republican Debate: Who Were Your Favorites?

Who on the panel impressed you the most?

• Total voters

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Curious about what the forum thinks of the first Republican debates. Who impressed you? What issues were discussed that peaked your interest in the candidate or got you thinking?

I personally did not watch the debates, but I'm interested to hear from those on this forum who did what they thought.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Although Haley spent a little too much time attacking instead of debating, she was saying the right things as far as I'm concerned. Pence had a good presidential air about him and answered the questions well. I could easily vote for Haley over Biden. I'm not so sure about Pence, since some of his positions are a bit too conservative for me, but at least I'd feel comfortable that he could do the job well.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not a Republican but watched out of curiosity (and not with complete attention.)

As I mentioned elsewhere, Ramashwamy had the delivery of a high pressure used car salesman and was probably just as untrustworthy. When I learned he made his $975 million fortune insider trading and selling a huge amount of stock in an unviable Alzheimer's patent at the peak--right before the stock went down 75% and bankrupted the pension funds of teachers and the personal funds of small investors--I learned that a word as mild as "untrustworthy" was probably a compliment. (He also incorporated his corporation in Bermuda and has two subsidiaries in China. I imagine him flying the dollar bill on Independence Day instead of the American flag, and although some of his money is apparently in Chinese yuans.)

Christie and Hutchinson were the only ones with enough integrity to call a crook a crook, so I suppose they impressed me most.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Curious about what the forum thinks of the first Republican debates. Who impressed you? What issues were discussed that peaked your interest in the candidate or got you thinking?

I personally did not watch the debates, but I'm interested to hear from those on this forum who did what they thought.
I think there is something wrong with your poll. I see three 25% and one 100%. ^_^

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Although Haley spent a little too much time attacking instead of debating, she was saying the right things as far as I'm concerned. Pence had a good presidential air about him and answered the questions well. I could easily vote for Haley over Biden. I'm not so sure about Pence, since some of his positions are a bit too conservative for me, but at least I'd feel comfortable that he could do the job well.
I generally lean liberal but given Bidens age I would consider Haley or Christie as a viable option.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there is something wrong with your poll. I see three 25% and one 100%. ^_^
It's because the poll allows multiple selections. There have been 4 total votes so a single vote is 25% of the total. 3 people voted for 3 different candidates (25% each) and all 4 voted for Haley (100% of those who voted). At least I think that's how it's calculating. I didn't code it, lol

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's because the poll allows multiple selections. There have been 4 total votes so a single vote is 25% of the total. 3 people voted for 3 different candidates (25% each) and all 4 voted for Haley (100% of those who voted). At least I think that's how it's calculating. I didn't code it, lol
Oh! Didn't realize it was a multi select. That makes sense.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have cable, so did not watch it.

Lemme guess - Christie bashed Trump every chance he got. It's not an effective way and it is most likely why he is in single digits.

Of the other 7 - Asa who? Governor of Dakota who?

DeSantis - former Nay Seal, good record as governor - he has hopes
Mike Pence - aided Trump in some of the great decisions they made to strengthen the country
Niki Haley - I like her international background, but know little else.
Ramaswany - intelligent, well spoken, great business man - no name recognition and no record to point to.

I'll bet it devolved into a shouting match a couple of times.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't have cable, so did not watch it.

Lemme guess - Christie bashed Trump every chance he got. It's not an effective way and it is most likely why he is in single digits.

Of the other 7 - Asa who? Governor of Dakota who?

DeSantis - former Nay Seal, good record as governor - he has hopes
Mike Pence - aided Trump in some of the great decisions they made to strengthen the country
Niki Haley - I like her international background, but know little else.
Ramaswany - intelligent, well spoken, great business man - no name recognition and no record to point to.

I'll bet it devolved into a shouting match a couple of times.
No Ramaswamy? He more Trump than Trump. What could be better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No Ramaswamy? He more Trump than Trump. What could be better?
Not even close from what I have read on him - he likes the idea of tax cuts, but internationally he really presents weak - that is no where near what Trump was.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It pains me to say it but I think Trump was the real winner last night. His absence from the debates showed two things. You’re either trying to be a cheap imitation of Trump or you’re not inline with the GOP voter base.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Desantis was never a SEAL. He was a JAG assigned to a SEAL unit:

The Florida governor did not attend nor graduate from BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition SEAL) training.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Desantis was never a SEAL. He was a JAG assigned to a SEAL unit:

The Florida governor did not attend nor graduate from BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition SEAL) training.

If it helps him that people think he was a Navy SEAL, then he was a Navy SEAL to people who support him.

Any other notion displays an ignorance about how reality gets created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Judge Advocate Generals Corps (I had to look it up.) Administrative duties.

But I do admit that for someone who has no demolition training, he certainly is doing a good job of demolishing Florida's educational systems, universities, voters' rights, black and LGBT anti-discrimination protections, etc., etc.

I read that immigrant families are fleeing the state in great numbers--whether documented or undocumented, they just don't want the hassle. This is creating job shortages in the tourism and construction industries.

Or maybe it doesn't take demolition training--just imperious cruelty--to demolish a system of democratic government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But I do admit that for someone who has no demolition training, he certainly is doing a good job of demolishing Florida's educational systems, universities, voters' rights, black and LGBT anti-discrimination protections, etc., etc.
And if the climate vector continues (likely), some of it will be underwater demolition in FL.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
FWIW, Round 2 will be September 27 at the Ronald Reagan Library in California. It will air on Fox Business, Univision and Rumble

There are slightly tighter criteria for participation. Asa Hutchinson and Doug Burgum will need a little tailwind to make it in.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well Joe doesn't have any demolition background nor has he ever served - but he sure is blowing up our economy and has made a total destruction of boarder control etc., etc.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FWIW, Round 2 will be September 27 at the Ronald Reagan Library in California. It will air on Fox Business, Univision and Rumble

There are slightly tighter criteria for participation. Asa Hutchinson and Doug Burgum will need a little tailwind to make it in.
Hopefully we will see the field shrinking.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I read that immigrant families are fleeing the state in great numbers--whether documented or undocumented, they just don't want the hassle. This is creating job shortages in the tourism and construction industries.

Meanwhile back here in reality, Florida was the fastest growing state in 2022 for the first time since 1957.

Upvote 0