Repentance, Repenting, and being "repentant"...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I've often wondered about repentance, and repenting, and, AND being "repentant"...

I think God cares more about being continually and consistently "repentant" all the time and keeping it up and not giving up on repenting and being repentant...

Some people think of repenting as being something, some think even before you even truly become a Christian, or born again, or whatever, some think this is something you do, and do not have to do anymore after you've done it...

To some repenting means not doing a thing ever anymore... And if you do you should question your salvation... Really...?

Anyhow, to some even the thought of the word "repentance" to them means not doing a thing or to some, even sinning at all ever again, anyhow, Some think repentance and saying you repent, is not ever having to say it again, kind of thing, cause you just don't do it anymore, and if you do, there is a problem with you... Who is being the most honest, the former kind of person, or the latter...?

Anyhow, the importance of continually being, (for one honest, anyway) but the importance of being continually and consistently "repentant" and not giving up on saying your sorry, asking forgiveness in humbleness and humility before God, and not giving up on doing this, is the hard part esepcially for something you continually do and repeat, and not giving up repenting or being humbly "repentant" about it, trusting in God to help you to do away with it one day...

But, what if one says they "no longer need repentance...?" for those who think they basically do not any longer... (Luke 15:7)...

I honestly wouldn't know how to function without it (need of repentance)...

And in (Matthew 18:21-22) When Peter asks Jesus how many time he should forgive his brother if he sins against him...? In one translation it puts "sin against me" as "how many times should I forgive my brother when he repents, or in this and in most cases, just "says" he "repents", up to seven times...? What did Jesus say, in that case, if they were "repentant", "not up to seven times, but 70 times 7 times, right...?

And this was not to be taken literally, it basically means that as long as someone is "repentant" all the time concerning sin, as long as they are repentant humbly about it and being honest, he will always be forgiven...

And, most definitely does not lose their salvation...

Don't You build more, Godly and good Character by being humbly "repentant" continually about a thing you just seem to continually do, and keeping this up, (being repentant about it) builds and grows Character far more, and has far more transforming and shaping power than having no need of, or no more need of repentance, or being humbly repentant, does, by far...

God Bless!

Peace,

God Bless!

Reactions: now faith

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As sinful humans we will involuntarily sin regardless of our efforts not to.

Ecclesiastes 7:20
Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins.

Romans 7
18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.…

Because of that we will need to repent repeatedly.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Repent/Repentance
OT:
Number 23:19
“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

"that He should repent;" ...Hebrews 5162...nacham...
to be sorry, console oneself, regret, comfort, be comforted
"to repent."...Hebrews 7725...shuwb...to return, turn back

NT:
Matthew 3:2; 4:17 ; Mark 1:15
“Repent, for the "kingdom of heaven" (God) is at hand.” (Jesus the Divine Messiah has come!...good news!)

"Repent,...Greek 3340...metanoeo...to change one's mind / to change one's mind for the better; heartily to amend with abhorrence one's past sins

Repentance (metanoia, 'change of mind') involves a turning with contrition from sin to God;
the repentant sinner is in the proper condition to ACCEPT the divine forgiveness." (SALVATION)

To Me, repent simply means: RE-THINK...spiritually turning to God when He calls / draws you.

Repentance in context has TWO meanings:

1. repent UNTO salvation...God calls/draws you to Him from sinful self...turning to God to ACCEPT THE GIFT!

e.g. Jesus preached:

Mark 1 (NASB)...Jesus Preaches in Galilee
14 Now after John (the Baptizer) had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,
preaching the gospel (good news) of God, 15 and saying,
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)
repent AND believe in the "gospel".” (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)

Luke 24...Jesus: AFTER The Resurrection
47 and that repentance for (because of?) forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Romans 2 (NASB)
4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience,
not knowing that the kindness (GRACE!) of God (the Holy Spirit) LEADS you to repentance?

2 Cor. 7:10
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret,
leading to salvation, (NOT a condition of!)
but the sorrow of the world produces death.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, (unbelievers?)
not wishing for ANY to perish
but for ALL to come to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, (NOT a condition of!)

2. repent BACK into fellowship after sinning...e.g. The Parable of the Prodigal Son

Luke 15 (NASB)...Jesus and the Parable of "The Lost Coin"
10 In the same way, I tell you,
there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Repentance for believers involves CONFESSION
and claiming cleansing and forgiveness of sins purchased by Jesus' completed work on the Cross.

1 John 1...God Is Light
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light,
and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP with Him and yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not PRACTICE the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light,
we have FELLOWSHIP with "one another", (BELIEVERS)
and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess (AGREE WITH GOD ABOUT) our sins,
He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
What about voluntary sins, and what is "willful" sin...?

To be honest with ourselves we sin willfully.

James: 1. 2. My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3. Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. 5. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

No excuse either put away the flesh or repent.

1 Corinthians: 10. 13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
As sinful humans we will involuntarily sin regardless of our efforts not to.

We still know not to partake of the flesh.
No where in the context of the verses posted does it elude to involuntary sin.

Because of that we will need to repent repeatedly.

Nowhere in the context of these verses does it elude to involuntary sin.
We always have a choice to or not to sin.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
With some sins, but not with all, it is hard for me to determine if some of my sins, for example are or may not be voluntary...

Everyone has a weakness, most of us, weaknesses... Is it our will, or not, are we willingly doing it, or not...?

I like this definition of involuntary/voluntary sin that I think fits...

"A willful sinner is proud of their sin, They are offended by even being told that their sin is sin.. A person who rejects the standards of God and mocks them and who commits transgressions against Gods will with joy. They actively run to sin as much as they can.. They have no remorse or regret. They hate the will of God.."

I do not feel that way about my sin at all...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Paul doesn't allude to anything. He is saying it in a straightforward way that he sins without wanting to.
Please read it again and this time try to pay attention.

Romans 7
18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.…

BTW
You mean allude not elude.
To elude is to evade.
To allude is to make an indirect reference to something.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What about voluntary sins, and what is "willful" sin...?
Willful sin is when we have a choice not to sin but do so anyway because we want to. We have to repent of those as well and try our best not to repeat.

BTW
Of course what might seem as willful to other humans might not be willful at all and the one qualified to say is the person involved or God who reads the heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
CHOOSE: the exercise of "free will"!

Deuteronomy 30:19 [Full Chapter]
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

1 Chronicles 28:9...King David to his wise son
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind;
for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts.
If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but
if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

#2 repent BACK into fellowship after sinning...
1 John 1 ?

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be bound together (yoked) with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

1 John 1:3, 6-7
what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ....
If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with "one another" (believers), and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have to reluctantly agree with this. There's always a choice involved, and the choice is that, we turn our backs on God to do it our way through the lusts of the flesh, or God's way. King Davids escapades show us that if we do continually return unto God again and keep trying, that He's just to forgive and is a man after God's own heart. The other choice is to be Spirit led.

When we fall down and sin, we have to be careful how it affects us and be sure that it doesn't lead us away further from God, praying, owning it and repenting. So let's all be King David's about it and turn back to God fast after you sin. We have to get back up again.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you confess your sin is the key.
Sanctification is our duty.

Confession?
Excuse me for begging to differ but there are people who regularly confess their sins to a priest on the Sunday in order to be officially forgiven and then proceed to unabashedly commit adultery and a host of other confessed sins for remainder of the week.

Why? Simple! Because having contritely revealed what they do, they then assume that the priest has provided them a pass by proclaiming them forgiven.

Then, once confession day comes around again, back they go with a face of contrition for another pass. It's like a merry go round with the priest being the fake horse!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have to reluctantly agree with this. There's always a choice involved, and the choice is that, we turn our backs on God to do it our way through the lusts of the flesh, or God's way.

King Davids escapades show us that if we do continually return unto God again and keep trying, that He's just to forgive and is a man after God's own heart. The other choice is to be Spirit led.

When we fall down and sin, we have to be careful how it affects us and be sure that it doesn't lead us away further from God, praying, owning it and repenting. So let's all be King David's about it and turn back to God fast after you sin. We have to get back up again.

You are totally ignoring two very basic albeit extremely important motivators of of human behavior.

1. Nature
2. Nurture.

Fortunately Paul was inspired to recognize that basic fact and his statement isn't open to any and all personal interpretations-especially those which blatantly contradict what he clearly said including a host of other scriptures which support it.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
POST #14: "
You are totally ignoring two very basic albeit extremely important motivators of of human behavior.
1. Nature
2. Nurture

You are totally ignoring two of the extremely important REALITIES of the human SAVED SPIRIT:

1. "SIN Nature"
2. Nurture , COMFORT, guidance of the permanently indwelling of God the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CHOOSE: the exercise of "free will"!

Deuteronomy 30:19 [Full Chapter]
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

1 Chronicles 28:9...King David to his wise son
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind;
for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts.
If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but
if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

#2 repent BACK into fellowship after sinning...
1 John 1 ?

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be bound together (yoked) with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

1 John 1:3, 6-7
what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ....
If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with "one another" (believers), and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
I John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2: My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Upvote 0

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Confession?
Excuse me for begging to differ but there are people who regularly confess their sins to a priest on the Sunday in order to be officially forgiven and then proceed to unabashedly commit adultery and a host of other confessed sins for remainder of the week.

Why? Simple! Because having contritely revealed what they do, they then assume that the priest has provided them a pass by proclaiming them forgiven.

Then, once confession day comes around again, back they go with a face of contrition for another pass. It's like a merry go round with the priest being the fake horse!

Don't judge. You don't know the reason someone keeps going back with the same sins. Some repeatedly confess the same sins over and over because it is a struggle for them and they fall to these sins in their weakness, not because they're abusing the system.

• Agree
Upvote 0