Repentance is not a change of mind.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I do not see how you resolved Luke 17:3.
But if you want to try and tackle another verse, how about Acts of the Apostles 8:22. It says,

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).​

Here we see Peter tell Simon to repent of his one time wickedness of trying to pay for the Holy Ghost. Peter tells Simon he is to pray to God and see if perhaps that the thought he had in his heart may be forgiven him. So here we see the word "repent" tied with asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer. Why? Because that is what the word "repent" means.
It's quite clear you understood very little of my explanation of Luke 17:3.

I'll try once more with the next case, because other readers may be able to clarify and better their understanding, or argue logically against me:

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

Acts 8:9-24
9Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery. 12But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

It's a long passage, but these are the relevant details:

Here we have Simon the sorcerer observe Peter giving the Holy Spirit to a believer. He thinks it will be very good to have this ability, so he tries to buy it from Peter.

Peter states Simon is not right before God, is full of bitterness and sin. He was popular and had many followers. But Peter is more powerful, so he lost his followers, and he himself can't help but follow Peter. Now he sees a chance to share the power and grabs it.

So Peter is right about Simon's bitterness and his mindset, his thinking about how to live, which is to serve weak idols for perishable gain, which is selfishness, sin, instead of serving the Creator for heavenly treasure, which is to see his friends in heaven, loving our brothers.

Peter curses Simon and his money, because he has fallen away, broken his baptism promise to serve God, just like Israel did in the wilderness, backsliding to serving self. It didn't matter that neither Simon or Israel did not understand what was needed to serve God, they were adults and their words could be used to condemn them, and because adults must be careful in what they say when making commitments or when arguing with what the Holy Spirit tells them, because loose words we used will be used to condemn us . If a believer does not understand his situation after baptism, he must lean towards humility in his responses. When God withheld food from Israel, she complained. She could have asked for help. Or accepted God's will, like Christ did:

Matthew 4:4
But Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

When God was not with Israel, she tested Him, made Him angry, by going out to fight the enemy and his army on her own.

She could have acted better, like Christ, and not tried to grab power:

Matthew 4:5-7
5Then the devil took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple,

6and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,
‘HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU’;
and
‘ON their HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP,
SO THAT YOU WILL NOT STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE.’”

7Jesus said to him, “On the other hand, it is written, ‘YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.’”

In fact that was what Simon did. Because he was baptized, he thought he was entitled.

So we see what Peter wants changed, the thoughts of Simon's heart, his mindset. He wants Simon Magus to change his mind, his wrong impression of what baptism entitles him to, allows him to do!

To see that repentance is not “asking for God's forgiveness” let's take the test case again:

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22)

If repent means “asking for God's forgiveness” then Peter would not have said it twice . This is called redundancy. It like going to a shop and asking if any new innovations have arrived.

Therefore, " repent" and "pray to God for forgiveness" are two different actions, just as changing your mind from thinking your action has not hurt someone, to thinking it HAS hurt someone, is one action, and because of that, believing that apologizing, asking for forgiveness is necessary, which is a resultant but separate act.

Next case please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's quite clear you understood very little of my explanation of Luke 17:3.

I'll try once more with the next case, because other readers may be able to clarify and better their understanding, or argue logically against me:

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

Acts 8:9-24
9Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery. 12But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”

24Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”

It's a long passage, but these are the relevant details:

Here we have Simon the sorcerer observe Peter giving the Holy Spirit to a believer. He thinks it will be very good to have this ability, so he tries to buy it from Peter.

Peter states Simon is not right before God, is full of bitterness and sin. He was popular and had many followers. But Peter is more powerful, so he lost his followers, and he himself can't help but follow Peter. Now he sees a chance to share the power and grabs it.

So Peter is right about Simon's bitterness and his mindset, his thinking about how to live, which is to serve weak idols for perishable gain, which is selfishness, sin, instead of serving the Creator for heavenly treasure, which is to see his friends in heaven, loving our brothers.

Peter curses Simon and his money, because he has fallen away, broken his baptism promise to serve God, just like Israel did in the wilderness, backsliding to serving self. It didn't matter that neither Simon or Israel did not understand what was needed to serve God, they were adults and their words could be used to condemn them, and because adults must be careful in what they say when making commitments or when arguing with what the Holy Spirit tells them, because loose words we used will be used to condemn us . If a believer does not understand his situation after baptism, he must lean towards humility in his responses. When God withheld food from Israel, she complained. She could have asked for help. Or accepted God's will, like Christ did:

Matthew 4:4
But Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

When God was not with Israel, she tested Him, made Him angry, by going out to fight the enemy and his army on her own.

She could have acted better, like Christ, and not tried to grab power:

Matthew 4:5-7
5Then the devil took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple,

6and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written,
‘HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU’;
and
‘ON their HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP,
SO THAT YOU WILL NOT STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE.’”

7Jesus said to him, “On the other hand, it is written, ‘YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.’”

In fact that was what Simon did. Because he was baptized, he thought he was entitled.

So we see what Peter wants changed, the thoughts of Simon's heart, his mindset. He wants Simon Magus to change his mind, his wrong impression of what baptism entitles him to, allows him to do!

To see that repentance is not “asking for God's forgiveness” let's take the test case again:

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22)

If repent means “asking for God's forgiveness” then Peter would not have said it twice . This is called redundancy. It like going to a shop and asking if any new innovations have arrived.

Therefore, " repent" and "pray to God for forgiveness" are two different actions, just as changing your mind from thinking your action has not hurt someone, to thinking it HAS hurt someone, is one action, and because of that, believing that apologizing, asking for forgiveness is necessary, which is a resultant but separate act.

Next case please.

But what was Peter asking Simon to do? You believe that it was too late for Simon. But Peter was asking him to pray to God so as to see if his wickedness could be forgiven him. So there appears to be potential hope for Simon. Otherwise, why would Peter ask Simon to pray so as to seek God's forgiveness. Also, it is not uncommon in our language to use a word and then explain it more in detail. For example: The metal artist singer could say to his lead guitarist in concert, "Shred it Rick! Hit that guitar!" "Play it fast and hard! Humans have a tendency to state things over for clarity and or emphasis. So no. I see it as Peter helping to define what repentance means for us. For it would not make any sense for Peter to say to Simon:

1. "Change your mind"
2. "Forsake all your sin."
3. "Believe on Jesus."

For Simon already accepted to believe in Jesus. His problem was trying to pay for the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what was Peter asking Simon to do? You believe that it was too late for Simon. But Peter was asking him to pray to God so as to see if his wickedness could be forgiven him. So there appears to be potential hope for Simon. Otherwise, why would Peter ask Simon to pray so as to seek God's forgiveness. Also, it is not uncommon in our language to use a word and then explain it more in detail. For example: The metal artist singer could say to his lead guitarist in concert, "Shred it Rick! Hit that guitar!" "Play it fast and hard! Humans have a tendency to state things over for clarity and or emphasis. So no. I see it as Peter helping to define what repentance means for us. For it would not make any sense for Peter to say to Simon:

1. "Change your mind"
2. "Forsake all your sin."
3. "Believe on Jesus."

For Simon already accepted to believe in Jesus. His problem was trying to pay for the Holy Ghost.
Where did I say it was too late for Simon Magus? You are proving that your ability to comprehend is inadequate for intelligible discussion, so maybe you should try something simpler?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
next case.

Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).

Surely it is not a coincidence that most have a wrong understanding on what repentance means today, which is a fulfillment of Jesus's words in Matthew 12:41. The Ninevites will rise up against this generation because they repented (i.e. they properly repented) at the preaching of Jonah. Most everyone thinks "repentance" exclusively means a "change of mind." While to a certain degree this is true because one is changing their mind about their old life of sin, that is not what repentance exclusively means. The word "repented" in Matthew 12:41 is clearly referring to "crying out unto God" because in Jonah 3:6-10 the King of the Ninevites tells his people to put on sackcloth and to cry mightily unto God (Jonah 3:8) (Which is the Scriptural reference that Jesus was pointing us to in Matthew 12:41).

In addition, sitting in sackcloth in ashes is a one time event.
This is confirmed by Luke 10:13 that says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. We see the King of Nineveh tell his people to put on sackcloth and to cry mightily unto God. So yes. This is a one time event of crying out unto God (i.e. to ask God for forgiveness).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where did I say it was too late for Simon Magus? You are proving that your ability to comprehend is inadequate for intelligible discussion, so maybe you should try something simpler?

You said,
"Peter curses Simon and his money, because he has fallen away,"

Anyways, please explain to me what you think Peter is trying to tell Simon here with the word "repent." What exact action do you think Peter is telling Simon to do with the word "repent"?

Does it mean he is to do a "change of mind"?
Believe in Jesus?
Forsake sin in general?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Word Keeper:

I have been asking for a while now what your version of repentance means.
Please explain that to me.
You seem to think that it can mean "to ask for forgiveness" when it comes between two men only.
But you do not think that this is the case between man repenting towards God.
What verse leads you to this conclusion?
Please provide the word "repent" or "repentance" in Scripture along with words that explains repentance in God's Word as you define it.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

Surely it is not a coincidence that most have a wrong understanding on what repentance means, which is a fulfillment of Jesus's words in Matthew 12:41. The Ninevites will rise up against this generation because they repented (i.e. they properly repented) at the preaching of Jonah. Most everyone thinks "repentance" exclusively means a "change of mind." While to a certain degree this is true because one is changing their mind about their old life of sin, that is not what repentance exclusively means. Repent here is clearly "crying out unto God" because in Jonah 3:6-10 the King of the Ninevites tells his people to put on sackcloth and to cry mightily unto God (Jonah 3:8).

Sitting in sackcloth in ashes is a one time event. This is confirmed by Luke 10:13 that says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. We see the King of Nineveh tell his people to put on sackcloth and to cry mightily unto God. So yes. This is a one time event of crying out unto God (i.e. to ask God for forgiveness).

Sorry. Ask your grammar teachers. They will tell you these are "resultant" acts of someone changing their mind from thinking they are without sin, to thinking they have sinned.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said,
"Peter curses Simon and his money, because he has fallen away,"

Anyways, please explain to me what you think Peter is trying to tell Simon here with the word "repent." What exact action do you think Peter is telling Simon to do with the word "repent"?

Does it mean he is to do a "change of mind"?
Believe in Jesus?
Forsake sin in general?
Of course he has to change his mind. He thought baptism entitled him to throw his weight around (or money, like he was used to be doing), worshipping inadequate money, to get popular, earthly fame. He has to change his thinking to serving God, his Maker and Master, Creator of the universe, so that he gains heavenly treasure, wins souls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Sorry. Ask your grammar teachers. They will tell you these are "resultant" acts of someone changing their mind from thinking they are without sin, to thinking they have sinned.

You are being evasive with your answers and throwing out insults.
This means that:

(a) You are not really sure what repentance means.
(b) You would like for repentance to be a "change of mind" but you really cannot prove that with the words from the Bible.

If I am wrong, then prove that by showing me Scripture.
Enough with the insults or clever comments and evasive answers.
Tell it to me straight, my friend.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are being evasive with your answers and throwing out insults.
This means that:

(a) You are not really sure what repentance means.
(b) You would like for repentance to be a "change of mind" but you really cannot prove that with the words from the Bible.

If I am wrong, then prove that by showing me Scripture.
Enough with the insults or clever comments and evasive answers.
Tell it to me straight, my friend.
There were some good opportunities for improving both our understanding, even with you not comprehending completely, but those opportunities have disappeared. Thanks for helping me work through some obstacles in my own thinking, but I think I'll look for less laborious routes to achieve those same gains. Bye.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course he has to change his mind. He thought baptism entitled him to throw his weight around (or money, like he was used to be doing), worshipping inadequate money, to get popular, earthly fame. He has to change it to serving God, his Maker and Master, so that he gains heavenly treasure, win souls.

Yeah, that makes no sense.

If a son got caught eating cookies before dinner, and his mother said, "Bobby! Change your mind!"
The son would be like, "Whatchya talkin' about Momma?"

If a boss pulled an employee into the office and said to them, "Change your mind Rick!" "Excuse me sir?" Rick replies.

It would sound weird for the boss to say that unless he was a motivational speaker or something. For it does not sound like a normal conversation.

If Peter said to Simon to: "Change your mind!" It would not make any sense because:

(1) People do not talk like that.
(2) What would be the frame of reference in changing one's mind be? Where is the context or other words in regards to their changing their mind?

Peter would need to say, "Simon, please change your mind about doing those the sinful things you are doing towards God."

Jesus said I tell you, "Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (Luke 13:3). No context is given in reference to the word "repent." Change their mind about what?

In other words, we would need to have a verse or passage in the Bible saying that the word "repent" is a "change of mind." However, no verse or passage actually defines repentance in this way. On top of that, it also makes no sense to say to a person to "Change your mind!"

Granted, Paul tells us to be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, but Paul explains in detail about this being transformed by the renewing of your mind. Paul also does not tie his words about being transformed by the renewing of the mind in with the word "repentance" either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There were some good opportunities for improving both our understanding, even with you not comprehending completely, but those opportunities have disappeared. Thanks for helping me work through some obstacles in my own thinking, but I think I'll look for less laborious routes to achieve those same gains. Bye.

Again, it is pretty obvious that Jesus defines repentance for us in Matthew 12:41 by pointing us to Jonah 3:8. For the King of the Ninevites specifically tells them to "cry mightily unto God" and to "forsake their evil ways." We see the word "repent" associated with describing a one time event of sitting in sackcloth in ashes. How can I change my mind as I sit in sackcloth in ashes? It makes no sense. Yet, we see in the Word of God the King of Nineveh telling his people to put on sackcloth and to cry mightily unto GOD. This is asking God for forgiveness. This is what repentance is.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, if "repentance" means to tell someone to have a "change of mind" not only is that confusing but it also would not be true for new believers. For new believers are constantly learning and growing and changing their mind concerning the things of GOD. New believers must learn and submit to the Sanctification process.

So again, it makes absolutely no sense to say that repentance is exclusively a "change of mind."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amazing. When my husband and I were talking about the subject of a born again person being a new creature in Christ, the very subject of Zacheas was mentioned extensively. And I had not heard or read that part of the Bible in a long time. And I hadn't discussed it in a real long time. So reading your post this evening is truly a confirmation. Thanks for sharing.
Zaccheus is a good example; he proved he was sorry by what he did. (Though the Lord sees the heart, first and foremost.)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Zaccheus is a good example; he proved he was sorry by what he did. (Though the Lord sees the heart, first and foremost.)

Jesus is the Lord; And salvation did come for Zacchaeus that day. For what Jesus says about his salvation was true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0