Repentance is not a change of mind.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have no idea what you are talking about so I will leave it with you...

PS... both Greek and Hebrew are not dead languages and their modern derivatives are in use today and Koine Greek and Hebrew language scholars would know more about these language than what you think you do.

Jesus said, "beware of the scribes."
The scribes were those who "tran-Scribed" (i.e. transcribed) the Law or the Scriptures.
Granted, not everything scholars teach are wrong, but not everything they teach is right, either.
We are taught by the Holy Ghost (John 16:13) (1 John 2:20) and not by men (1 John 2:27).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These posts just gets boring so i'll post it yet again.

What I provided was Scripture and the point is discussion of that Scripture. I believe that the discussion (or debate) of God's Word should never be boring to a person (even if they may disagree with the other person), but you are free to have your own opinion.

You said:
If repentance is stopping doing sin then why did God repent here ?

Okay. Stop right here, my brother. You obviously did not catch how I defined "repentance." Let me clarify it for you.

Repentance (or to repent) is: Asking forgiveness of sin (with the intent in not doing so again).

This can apply to asking God for forgiveness like we see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22;
And this can apply to asking a fellow brother or sister for forgiveness like in Luke 17:3.

For Peter told Simon to repent of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Ghost and he was to pray to God that he would be forgiven for such an offense (See Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

In Luke 17:3, we are told that if a brother trespasses against us, and they are to "repent", we are to forgive them. This would not make any sense if our brother simply had a "change of mind" For how would we know they had a change of mind? Are we telepaths or mind readers? So Luke 17:3 makes sense if it is talking about a fellow brother asking for your forgiveness. If they are to do that, we are to forgive them naturally. Granted, we are to forgive and love even our enemies. But one of the points Jesus is making here is that "repentance" is asking for forgiveness and it is not exclusively a change of mind.

You said:
If you assume that repentance is turning from sin then God himself is not sinless period.

Well, while turning from sin is not exactly repentance, it is the fruits of repentance. For John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Also, when a person asks God for forgiveness (i.e. repentance), it is only true if they actually do what God says. See the Parable of the Two Sons (Matthew 21:28-32).

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I provided was Scripture and the point is discussion of that Scripture. I believe that the discussion (or debate) of God's Word should never be boring to a person (even if they may disagree with the other person), but you are free to have your own opinion.

Okay. Stop right here, my brother. You obviously did not catch how I defined "repentance." Let me clarify it for you.

Repentance (or to repent) is: Asking forgiveness of sin (with the intent in not doing so again).

This can apply to asking God for forgiveness like we see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22;
And this can apply to asking a fellow brother or sister for forgiveness like in Luke 17:3.

For Peter told Simon to repent of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Ghost and he was to pray to God that he would be forgiven for such an offense (See Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

In Luke 17:3, we are told that if a brother trespasses against us, and they are to "repent", we are to forgive them. This would not make any sense if our brother simply had a "change of mind" For how would we know they had a change of mind? Are we telepaths or mind readers? So Luke 17:3 makes sense if it is talking about a fellow brother asking for your forgiveness. If they are to do that, we are to forgive them naturally. Granted, we are to forgive and love even our enemies. But one of the points Jesus is making here is that "repentance" is asking for forgiveness and it is not exclusively a change of mind.

Well, while turning from sin is not exactly repentance, it is the fruits of repentance. For John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Also, when a person asks God for forgiveness (i.e. repentance), it is only true if they actually do what God says. See the Parable of the Two Sons (Matthew 21:28-32).

• If repentance is asking for forgivness who did God need to ask for forgivness for himself in exodus ?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • If repentance is asking for forgivness who did God need to ask for forgivness for himself in exodus ?

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good” (Numbers 23:19).

So obviously when the Bible talks about God repenting, it is not the same as man repenting.

When the word “repent” appears for God in the Bible; I would say in God’s case it more about feeling sorrow or in being grieved and sometimes the word “repent” involves Him changing his mind in bringing judgment within the framework of keeping His promises of those who repent and turn from their evil ways.

Yes, to a degree, man changes his mind when He asks God for forgiveness of his sin (repentance) but repentance does not exclusively mean a “change of mind.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Also, if repentance is not “asking God for forgiveness” then can you give me a word for word commentary on what you believe Acts of the Apostles 8:22 and Luke 17:3 says?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, as some have already pointed out, it is repentance, though not, perhaps, the sum total of it.

Well, I agree that a "change of mind" is not the sum total of what makes up repentance. To a certain degree there is a "change in mind" when a person asks God to forgive them of their sin (i.e. repentance). But repentance is not exclusively a change of mind as many today teach.

You said:
Believing in the truths of the Gospel and trusting oneself to the Saviour requires, for every person who is converted, a change of mind, a change in thinking and behaviour. This is the heart of repentance.

Verses please. Please show me how the Bible defines repentance in this way.
In other words, show me how the word "repent" or "repentance" and how that ties into your definiton using the Bible.

You said:
Says who? You? Who made you the final arbiter of the usefulness of Hebrew and Greek dictionaries in understanding Scripture?

Nobody said I was a final arbiter on such matters but I can freely speak in love so as to give reasons why it is illogical for people to make such outrageous claims. Nobody has written or has spoken Biblical Hebrew and Greek like they did back in the day for a very long time. The books that attempt to translate these languages did not grow up in that time or era to truly know with 100% certainty that they are correct unless they compare it with their own language that they do know. The problem I discover too many times is people try to change what God's Word says in their own language in favor of a language that they do not even know (But they act like they know it - when in reality nobody really knows such a language).

You said:
It is precisely because we did not grow up speaking and writing ancient Greek and Hebrew (and Aramaic) that we need language lexicons.

But Lexicons are merely guess work, though. They were not authorized by God or inspired works. In fact, I know Lexicons are not always correct in what they say. So they should not be treated as if they are infallible. For the context in some cases refutes what Lexicons can say on occasion. So no. I do not think people should just blindly follow Lexicons as if they were the Word of God speaking to them. They need to pray and ask God for the understanding and seek the truth of what God's Word is really saying even if they may not like that truth.

You said:
Reading the Bible in your own language required the expertise of the language scholars whose language lexicons you just dismissed! You could not read the Bible in your own language if not for their expertise in translating from those "dead languages."

Do not misunderstand me. I use Lexicons on rare occasions. But I do not rely upon it as some kind of code key to understand what the Bible says or anything. The Bible is easy to understand just fine in our own language.

As for Modern Translations: While I may read Modern Translations, I primarily trust the KJV as my final word of authority. There are no Lexicon creators that I am aware of that had worked on the KJV.

You said:
Do you know who repents most in the Bible? It isn't any human person. It's God. He does more repenting than anyone else! (Ge. 6:6; Ex. 32:14; Jdg. 2:18; 1Sam. 15:35; 1 Sam. 24:16; 1 Ch. 21:15; Jer. 26:19 and so on.) Is He repenting from "sin" and "evil ways"? Obviously not. Scripture, then, does not always or primarily mean by "repent" or "repentance" what you say it does. As in God's case, "repentance" chiefly means "a change of mind" which is how Bible translators and scholars have understood and translated the word for a long time now.

Again, I am not denying that the word "repent" has a meaning of a "change of mind" attached to it (to some degree), but it does not exclusively mean that. It is true that a person has a change of mind about their old life. There is no denying that; But "repent" does not exclusively mean a "change of mind." That would be like saying that "driving" exclusively means "being in motion." While it is true that "being in motion" is a part of driving, that is not exclusively what "driving" means. The word "driving" usually is associated with operating something that moves (like operating a motorized vehicle or automobile, etc.).

As for God repenting: Granted, it is true, that the word "repent" means a "change of mind" for God. But repentance is not the same for us as it is for God. For it is written,

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good” (Numbers 23:19).

When the word “repent” appears for God in the Bible; I would say in God’s case it more about feeling sorrow or in being grieved and sometimes the word “repent” involves Him changing his mind in bringing judgment within the framework of keeping His promises of those who repent and turn from their evil ways.

Yes, to a degree, man changes his mind when He asks God for forgiveness of his sin (repentance) but repentance does not exclusively mean a “change of mind.” The word "repent" is clearly talking about "asking for forgiveness."

Just look at Acts of the Apostles 8:22 and Luke 17:3.

We see in Acts of where Peter tells Simon to repent by way of prayer (seeking God's forgiveness).

For Peter says to Simon,
"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).​

Clearly Peter is telling Simon to pray to God and ask for forgiveness of his sin in trying to pay for the Holy Ghost. Then we see Jesus telling us believers that we are to forgive a believer if they repent (ask our forgiveness).

For Jesus says,
"Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." (Luke 17:3).​

Jesus is saying that if a fellow believer trespasses against us, and they ask our forgiveness, we are to forgiven them. Granted, we are to forgive all people regardless of who they are. However, one of the points Jesus is making here is that if a believer is seeking our forgiveness, we surely should be quick to forgive them because they are our brother.

You said:
Confession and repentance are related but they aren't synonymous. Confession is admitting and agreeing with God that the sin you committed was, in fact, sin. Repentance is changing your mind about the sin you've been committing.

No. Confessing of sin and repentance are more closely tied together than you realize, my friend. When a person comes to the faith for the first time, they can make a general confession that they have sinned against God and the LORD can forgive them. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13). We also see in the Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee that the Tax Collector was justified because he was crying for God to have mercy on his sinful condition (Luke 18:9-14). So Justification deals with a person seeking forgiveness with God.

You said:
Repentance - a change of mind or thinking - may lead to a prayer for salvation, but such a prayer is not, I think, itself repentance. It is the fruit of repentance.

Not true. While I may be wrong, it sounds like you believe that 2 Timothy 2:25 is saying God is giving a believer the ability or power to repent (Whereby they did not have that power or ability without God as a part of their old life). 2 Timothy 2:25 is tied to John 16:8. The Holy Spirit will convict a person of their sin. This is how God can grant or give a person the chance to repent. We know this is has to be the interpretive understanding of this verse because God commands all men everywhere to repent (Acts of the Apostles 17:30). For God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. True repentance (i.e. asking God for the forgiveness of one's sin) will lead to the fruits of repentance (Which is doing good works or obedience to God). John the Baptist says bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. What is the context of the type of fruit John was talking about?

John says, in Luke 3:11, "He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise."

So the fruits of repentance are good works.

You said:
But the vast majority of English Bible translations render the verse with either "repent" or "change," not "do penance" or "be sorry for your sins." These two renderings are notable in this instance only for their departure from the common translation made by most Bible language scholars. When you have to resort to the minority, to the unusual renderings, to make your case, you should realize this is suggestive of a faulty line of thinking and Bible interpretation.

I actually do not consider something to be right just because it is in the majority. Jesus said narrow is the way that leads unto life and few be there that find it (Matthew 7:14). Jesus said, "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8). Besides, even without these other translations backing me up, the Scriptures themselves support what I am saying.

You said:
No, this is not repentance. This is the result of repentance.

Prove your case with Scripture.

You said:
Apparently, you know next to nothing about the translation of the Bible into English.

Insults are not becoming of the saints, my friend.
Please stick to the topic at hand with Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Once again it seems like you are reading something i did not say or misunderstanding it. To repent in relation to faith in the NT means to have a change of mind which in turn means to have changes in life correspondent to that change and the faith one is choosing.

One who claims to repent in relation to believing, but does not manifest correspondent changes - which means following the Lord and repenting when convicted of not doing so - have not repented in the context of faith. When you repent/turn to the Lord Jesus in faith you are implicitly choosing to act accordingly (though the change is relative to the light and grace once realizes). But it is such effectual faith which is counted for righteousness that renders one accepted in the Beloved, on His account, as explained.

Nothing much more should need to be said.

What needs to be spoken or said here is the Word of God, my friend.
Please show me Scripture verses that actually help define your version of repentance.
This would mean you have to find Scripture that has the word "repent" or "repentance" in it followed by words within the surrounding text that defines repentance as you say it is.

So far I have presented this for people in the OP.
The challenge for you is to explain what those verses actually mean and for you to provide a counter explanation with Scripture. If you provided a good explanation before and I missed it, please repeat it and shorten the explanation to those verses you think makes it unmistakeable in defense of your definition on repentance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 7:10-12

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, the saving of our spirit soul and body. In the present tense we are being saved, that is our souls. We have been saved (Our spirit is saved by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) and our bodies will be saved in the day of the Lord.

Repentance is the gateway to true relationship with God because sin in the primary hindrance to that relationship. God has already established everything in Christ, but sin prevents us from being in Christ. We cannot say we are in Christ and also walk in sin. Just as light and darkness have no fellowship, neither does sin and Christ. Christ cannot have fellowship with sin, although he can have fellowship with sinful people because of the atonement. But when He redeems us He cannot have true fellowship with us if we continue to willfully walk in sin.

Without Christ we cannot bear any fruit. The life of Christ in us becomes depleted and we are running on fumes, and the enemy gains an advantage. The enemy works hard to destroy our relationship with Christ, especially when it is at its weakest. This is not to say the enemy can pluck us out of His hand, but he can convince us to abandon the Lord. We are in great danger without unity and accountability in the local body.

We need repentance to be re-established in Christ, so we can live a fruitful life by doing all of the works God prepared in advance for us to do. Without repentance we will be living nothing but a defeated life. We will become self-deceived and stuck where we are spiritually and it can go on for a long time. If we are seeking the Lord with a repentant heart then we will understand the truth and the truth shall make you free. I think repentance is a turning to God away from sin because He is holy and righteous, and especially because of Jesus Christ.

I agree with everything you said here except for your definition of repentance, my friend.
Please provide me Scripture that shows your version of a definition for repentance.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Greek word for repentance, is 'metanoia'. That word does indeed mean a 'change of mind'. That one's life changes in concrete ways which affect the manner of life of the repentant is assumed in the word. In other words, if one changes their mind about Christ it will result in a reformation and renewal of life. To say 'Repentance is not a change of mind' seems to me to be an over-reaction to or an over-correction from the antinomianism currently running rampant in parts of Christendom. Unlike Mao, as Christians, we do not believe to correct something that is out-of-order, we need to react against it in the other direction. We simply teach the straight truth: repentance is a change mind about Christ, which results in a reformed life.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word for repentance, is 'metanoia'. That word does indeed mean a 'change of mind'. That one's life changes in concrete ways which affect the manner of life of the repentant is assumed in the word. In other words, if one changes their mind about Christ it will result in a reformation and renewal of life. To say 'Repentance is not a change of mind' seems to me to be an over-reaction to or an over-correction from the antinomianism currently running rampant in parts of Christendom. Unlike Mao, as Christians, we do not believe to correct something that is out-of-order, we need to react against it in the other direction. We simply teach the straight truth: repentance is a change mind about Christ, which results in a reformed life.

First, to a certain degree I believe the word "repent" can have a meaning of "a change of mind" but that is not what the word "repent" exclusively means. How so? Well, the Scriptures says God is not a man that He can repent (Numbers 23:19). So God's version of "repentance" is different than our version of "repentance." So the word "repent" cannot have one defined meaning for all beings in the universe as you think it does, my friend (See "Side Note" below).

Second, words are not defined by men in a book who do not really know Hebrew and Greek. It is why nobody here is giving me any clear biblical examples to prove their definitions of what they think repentance says. They are not tying the word "repent" in with how the Bible describes it. They are just pointing to a word in a Lexicon as if it was the inspired Word of God (When it is not); And they are quoting me passages that do not define the word "repent" in the Bible.

Three, the Bible gives us clear definitions on what the word "repent" actually means beyond what the scholar says and beyond what the popular Pastor of our day says. In Acts of the Apostles 8, Peter tells Simon to repent (by way of prayer towards God) so as to find forgiveness for his sin of trying to pay for the Holy Ghost. For Peter says to Simon,

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).​

If repent means to just have a change of mind about this sin so as to not do it ever again, it would not make any sense for Peter to use the word "repent" in the way that he uses it in Acts of the Apostles 8:22. For was Simon going to repeat this event? No. It was a one time occurrence of wickedness that was unique to that situation.

We also see in Luke 17 where the word "repent" is used as in reference to "asking for forgiveness" but in relation between men. Jesus says,

"Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." (Luke 17:3).​

So Jesus is saying here if a fellow believer trespasses against us and they "repent" we are to forgive them. But if "repent" means to "have a change of mind" and or even "a change in one's actions alone" then how can we really know if our fellow brother or sister has repented? For example: A brother may have insulted you with some bad words. If they do not do so again, does that mean they have repented? Maybe they have decided to insult you at another opportunity or time. See, that is why "repent" makes more sense if it has the meaning to: "Ask for forgiveness." Granted, we are to forgive even our enemies, but the point Jesus is trying to make here is that we should be especially sensitive or aware to forgive our brothers (Especially when they are seeking forgiveness with us).

Side Note:

When God repents in the Bible:
Well, I believe when the Bible talks about God "repenting" it is in reference to God being either grieved, sorrowed, and or to change His mind in regards to bringing judgment or wrath within the framework of His promises that say that if the wicked repent and turn from their evil ways, God will forgive them and not bring judgment.

When man repents in the Bible:
When man repents in God's Word, it is talking about "asking for forgiveness"; If man is repenting towards God, he asking God for forgiveness of his sin. This can be one specific sin or it can be a general reference to their sinful condition in coming to the faith for the first time (i.e. the Sinner's Prayer). If man is repenting towards another human being, they are asking this other human being for forgiveness of a specific transgression or set of sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness"
(Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note:
While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a "change of mind."

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness"
(Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note:
While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a "change of mind."

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.
What an interesting view! Not!

You are only repeating the mistake that many readers of the text have made and is only now being corrected by scholars because it is so important to understand what believers are required by God to do. If the instruction on the box isn't followed, you won't be getting the desired result. It's as important as that.

More wrong than what you think is those who think that repentance is what is mistakenly understood as remorse. Repentance may require a change of mind from indifference to feeling sorry, but not always. It is the change of mind which is being communicated in the sentence, not the emotion.

There is a difference between repentance and remorse. Remorse is being sorry you got caught. For example, if you were to rob a bank, get away with it for awhile, and then are arrested, you are remorseful. Why? Because you got caught.

Or, as you are driving down the freeway and get pulled over by the highway patrol, you are remorseful. Why? Because you got caught, not because you broke the speed limit. That isn't repentance; that is remorse. Repentance is being sorry enough to stop what you are doing and change your behavior.

Judas Iscariot was remorseful about his betrayal of Jesus. He knew Jesus was innocent. He knew what he did was wrong. And if he was repentant, he still could have turned to Jesus. But instead, he turned to the religious leaders.

"Remorse or Repentance?" - Devotion for 1/3/2012

A very easy way to definitely conclude what repentance is is if you give a test case and I will lay out what the existing state of mind is, and the change that occurs.

Choose your test case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What an interesting view! Not!

Worldly sarcasm is not becoming of the saints, my friend.
We are to let our conversation always be full of grace seasoned with salt.

You said:
You are only repeating the mistake that many readers of the text have made and is only now being corrected by scholars because it is so important to understand what believers are required by God to do. If the instruction on the box isn't followed, you won't be getting the desired result. It's as important as that.

You are only offering me opinion here. Please show me how the verses I put forth are wrong please. Please use the context to prove your case.

As for the scholars:
Jesus said beware of the scribes.
The scribes were those who "tran-scribed" the Law or the Holy Scriptures.

You said:
More wrong than what you think is those who think that repentance is what is mistakenly understood as remorse. Repentance may require a change of mind from indifference to feeling sorry, but not always. It is the change of mind which is being communicated in the sentence, not the emotion.

Again, prove your case with the Bible. Where in the Bible does it define repentance in such a way? Meaning, you have to show me the word "repent" or "repentance" and tie it with surrounding words in the Bible that says what you are saying here.

You said:
There is a difference between repentance and remorse. Remorse is being sorry you got caught. For example, if you were to rob a bank, get away with it for awhile, and then are arrested, you are remorseful. Why? Because you got caught.

Or, as you are driving down the freeway and get pulled over by the highway patrol, you are remorseful. Why? Because you got caught, not because you broke the speed limit. That isn't repentance; that is remorse. Repentance is being sorry enough to stop what you are doing and change your behavior.

Judas Iscariot was remorseful about his betrayal of Jesus. He knew Jesus was innocent. He knew what he did was wrong. And if he was repentant, he still could have turned to Jesus. But instead, he turned to the religious leaders.

"Remorse or Repentance?" - Devotion for 1/3/2012

There is a huge difference between being remorseful over one's sin vs. asking God to forgive you of that sin (with a Godly sorrow). For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13). Judas never confessed his sin to God after he betrayed Jesus. For what happens when a person asks God to forgive them of their sin?

Besides, we see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

You said:
A very easy way to definitely conclude what repentance is is if you give a test case and I will lay out what the existing state of mind is, and the change that occurs.

Choose your test case.

I have already given 10 points in Scripture that show that "repentance" is asking God for forgiveness. In Luke 17:3 we that we are told to forgive a believer who is seeking repentance with us. This makes the most sense if they are seeking forgiveness with us. To say that it means for them to stop doing evil against you does not really help to reconcile the relationship all that much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Worldly sarcasm is not becoming of the saints, my friend.
We are to let our conversation always be full of grace seasoned with salt.

You are only offering me opinion here. Please show me how the verses I put forth are wrong please. Please use the context to prove your case.

As for the scholars:
Jesus said beware of the scribes.
The scribes were those who "tran-scribed" the Law or the Holy Scriptures.

Again, prove your case with the Bible. Where in the Bible does it define repentance in such a way? Meaning, you have to show me the word "repent" or "repentance" and tie it with surrounding words in the Bible that says what you are saying here.

There is a huge difference between being remorseful over one's sin vs. asking God to forgive you of that sin (with a Godly sorrow). For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13). Judas never confessed his sin to God after he betrayed Jesus. For what happens when a person asks God to forgive them of their sin?

Besides, we see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." (Acts of the Apostles 8:22).

I have already given 10 points in Scripture that show that "repentance" is asking God for forgiveness. In Luke 17:3 we that we are told to forgive a believer who is seeking repentance with us. This makes the most sense if they are seeking forgiveness with us. To say that it means for them to stop doing evil against you does not really help to reconcile the relationship all that much.
Well if the wonderful answers from other posters had been heard in Sidon and Tyre , they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes long ago.

So let's take your test case :

Luke 17:3Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

The brother has offended you. You inform him of the hurt he has caused. Maybe he did not know.

Now that he knows, he will react.

Either he will feel sorry. Eg. “I never knew i caused offense, please forgive me.”

Or he will feel offended! Eg. “How can that be offensive? You must be from another planet! Your mistake! “

Of course it's possible he is right, so you take another brother to show him there was no mistake.

Now if he repents, changes his mind, then you must forgive him.

So I've shown how repent is correctly used to mean "change of mind" .

I can also show that repent in your case can't mean: “asking God for forgiveness”.

Luke 17:3Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

The actions listed here are:

You: Look out
Your Brother: Sins
You: Rebuke him
He: Repents
You: Forgive him

No mention of God involved in the scene anywhere.

Next case please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well if the wonderful answers from other posters had been heard in Sidon and Tyre , they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes long ago.

To repent in sackcloth and ashes suggests that they are doing a specific one time action that is noticeable. For if I were to have a belief on the Lord in sackcloth in ashes that would not be any significant act or event along with being in sackcloth in ashes. To "repent" in sackcloth and ashes makes the most sense if they are asking God for forgiveness. In fact, all you have to do is read Jonah 3:6-10 to see that sackcloth and ashes is associated with "crying out to God", which was then followed by the later action of "forsaking one's evil ways" (See Jonah 3:8).

Important Note:

Please take note that I believe the Bible is teaching here that in Jonah 3:8 the:
(a) "Cry unto God" (which is asking God for forgiveness) is repentance; And
(b) "Forsaking of evil ways" is the fruits of repentance (obedience to God and or forsaking sin).

You said:
So let's take your test case :

The brother has offended you. You inform him of the hurt he has caused. Maybe he did not know.

Now that he knows, he will react.

Either he will feel sorry. Eg. “I never knew i caused offense, please forgive me.”

Or he will feel offended! Eg. “How can that be offensive? You must be from another planet! Your mistake! “

Of course it's possible he is right, so you take another brother to show him there was no mistake.

Now if he repents, changes his mind, then you must forgive him.

So I've shown how repent is correctly used to mean "change of mind" .

I can also show that repent in your case can't mean: “asking God for forgiveness”.

The actions listed here are:

You: Look out
Your Brother: Sins
You: Rebuke him
He: Repents
You: Forgive him

No mention of God involved in the scene anywhere.

Next case please.

God is a person just as much man is a person. The Trinity is three persons (i.e. Father, Son, Holy Spirit) yet one God. God has a mind, will, and emotions (just as we have a mind, will, and emotions). If we transgress against God, surely we will react in a similar way when we transgress against men (Because we were made in God's image). For surely if man's sin hurts other men, it also can hurt God. We also know that by confessing sin to God, we can be forgiven of such a sin, too (See 1 John 1:9, Proverbs 28:13, Luke 18:9-14). For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13).

Also, whether we transgress against God or men, we are at least going to say, "I am sorry" or "please forgive me" if we feel we did something wrong and we want to do the right thing so as to reconcile that relationship.

The word "repent" is going to mean the same thing when man repents towards both God and men. For both God and men can forgive us if we are seeking to be forgiven with them.

To suggest otherwise is to go against what we know about the Bible and the real world.

Besides, you have not shown that the word "repent" means a "change of mind."
Unless you care to explain it better detail or bold the specific words you are talking about in regards to true repentance, I do not see you explaining "your version of repentance" in a real world scenario (so as to explain what a "change of mind" would look like in this situation in Luke 17:3).

You gave two options for the person who repents towards the believer in whom he has offended.

Option #1. They ask the other person for forgiveness (Which is what I believe) (Note: To a degree this is a "change of mind" because they are admitting that their old sinful way of life should be changed, but this is not exclusively telling someone to have a "change of mind" - whatever that means).

Option #2. They ask the person how they offended them and then they insult them.​

The second option is not a "change of mind" because they are admitting that they did nothing wrong from their perspective and then they insulted the other person.

So I have failed to see how you have resolved this.

Again, tell me what a "change of mind" (i.e. your version of repentance) looks like in a real world scenario in regards to Luke 17:3.

Also, the giving of your two options here does not suggest that what I have said is wrong, either.

In Luke 17:3, it makes sense that if a person does something wrong towards you and you rebuke them and they then say they are sorry whereby you would then forgive them. The Pharisees said to Jesus that who can forgive sins but God alone. But Jesus also said that the son of Man has power on earth to forgive sin. This is true in regards to Jesus and for other men. We can forgive sin for others just as God (Jesus) can forgive sin. However, the difference is that with God, He saves us as a part of Him forgiving us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Next case please.

Well, I do not see how you resolved Luke 17:3.
But if you want to try and tackle another verse, how about Acts of the Apostles 8:22. It says,

Here we see Peter tell Simon to repent of his one time wickedness of trying to pay for the Holy Ghost. Peter tells Simon he is to pray to God and see if perhaps that the thought he had in his heart may be forgiven him. So here we see the word "repent" tied with asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer. Why? Because that is what the word "repent" means.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How true Matthew 12:41 rings true for our day. The Ninevites will rise up against this generation because they repented (i.e. they properly repented) at the preaching of Jonah. Today, people think repentance means a "change of mind" (which is defined several different ways that are unbiblical), yet Jesus pointed us to Jonah 3:6-10 to learn the true meaning of repentance.

Jonah 3:8 says the Ninevites:

(a) Cried out unto God (Repentance).
(b) Forsaked their evil ways (The Fruits of Repentance).​

Jonah 3:6-10 and other verses in the Bible talk about repenting in sackcloth in ashes. If repent means to believe in God, then one must believe they are forever be in sackcloth in ashes because we do not stop believing in the Lord.

Upvote 0