USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua said I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance....

For me Jesus is REAL. Being born from above..or born again is what? What does that mean to you? I dont mean quote the right verse but what does that mean to you? Does that mean you just stop doing the old things you use to do that was sin? Is that really what "repentance" and "born again means"?

Over the years we hear so many things..its turning over a new leaf, that sin you repented of, or you replace it with something else..as in good. So forth so on. All things become new when one repents. How many times in your life since He found you.. that sin you did.. you just didnt want to do it any more? The ones YOU tried to stop..so many of them you kept doing? Our flesh was not made new. You will never stop this flesh from wanting to stop sinning. Our Spirit was made new.. and if we walk in the spirit..we then will not fullfil the lust of the flesh.

Were talking about something that only a GOD can know if they did. It as I understand it is not based on flesh actions. YET it is lol. But I agree..its not just saying Sorry Father. You get off that one mark and get on the right one. You turn over a new leaf. That sin you stopped.. you replace it with something else of God. Yes.. for me to just say sorry/repent and then keep doing the sin.. I never repented. To be stuck in a sin.. thats different.

So.. this new life is not based on us. Every GOOD thing comes from Him. You WANTING to change comes from Him. We heard that sweet sweet Holy Spirits call voice pull and we made that step. And the Father took a HUGE LEAP to help you pick you up and started something in you that HE WILL FINISH!

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, we should change our ways, but if we seek to change our ways and do not repent (i.e. ask God for forgiveness of our sin) then we fail. In other words, the word "repentance" is the "Sinner's Prayer" or a believer confessing their sins. For when we ask God to forgive us we are doing so with the intention that we will honestly forsake our life of sin. For if we are not truly sorry or sorrowful about our sin and seek God's forgiveness, then why exactly are we taking action? In fact, when Jesus makes His point in the Parable of the Two Sons about repentance, He is saying that that true repentance (i.e. asking God for forgiveness) is followed by a change of life or one's actions. Jesus is not saying that repentance is not asking God for forgiveness here. I believe confessing and forsaking sin are tied together. Jesus is saying in the Parable of the Two Sons that true repentance (asking God to forgive us) is followed by doing what God says. That is true repentance. Paul talks about how a Godly sorrow leads one to repentance. I know it is sorrow over sin that leads one to repent towards God (i.e. to ask forgiveness of one's sin) (2 Corinthians 7:10).

For example:
If a husband cheats on his wife, does he not say he is first sorry and then he stops being disloyal? For if the husband did not say he was sorry and he just stopped being disloyal would that help the relationship? I don't think so.

So what about the verse that mentions about how if a christian still walks in darkness, he is a liar and truth is not in him (1 John 2:4)? that they would believe in vain ( 1 corinthians 15:2) ?

That means that repentance is more than just accepting, but having the mind and heart to want to actually turn from his ways.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what about the verse that mentions about how if a christian still walks in darkness, he is a liar and truth is not in him (1 John 2:4)? that they would believe in vain ( 1 corinthians 15:2) ?

That means that repentance is more than just accepting, but having the mind and heart to want to actually turn from his ways.

I believe that obedience is the fruits of repentance. For John the Baptist said bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. So obedience is a way of showing that our repentance (i.e. our asking God for forgiveness of our sin) was genuine and true.

What do you make of Acts of the Apostles 8:22?
Peter tells Simon to repent of his wickedness and pray that God will forgive him.

That does not sound like forsaking sin to me. This was a one time transgression for Simon and he simply needed to get his heart right with God by confessing such a sin by way of prayer (with the hope that God would forgive Him).

We also see the word "repent" tied with forgiving our fellow brother, as well. See Luke 17:3.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua said I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance....

For me Jesus is REAL. Being born from above..or born again is what? What does that mean to you? I dont mean quote the right verse but what does that mean to you? Does that mean you just stop doing the old things you use to do that was sin? Is that really what "repentance" and "born again means"?

Over the years we hear so many things..its turning over a new leaf, that sin you repented of, or you replace it with something else..as in good. So forth so on. All things become new when one repents. How many times in your life since He found you.. that sin you did.. you just didnt want to do it any more? The ones YOU tried to stop..so many of them you kept doing? Our flesh was not made new. You will never stop this flesh from wanting to stop sinning. Our Spirit was made new.. and if we walk in the spirit..we then will not fullfil the lust of the flesh.

Were talking about something that only a GOD can know if they did. It as I understand it is not based on flesh actions. YET it is lol. But I agree..its not just saying Sorry Father. You get off that one mark and get on the right one. You turn over a new leaf. That sin you stopped.. you replace it with something else of God. Yes.. for me to just say sorry/repent and then keep doing the sin.. I never repented. To be stuck in a sin.. thats different.

So.. this new life is not based on us. Every GOOD thing comes from Him. You WANTING to change comes from Him. We heard that sweet sweet Holy Spirits call voice pull and we made that step. And the Father took a HUGE LEAP to help you pick you up and started something in you that HE WILL FINISH!

But like in every good relationship, when a person sins against another, they have to say they are sorry so as to make peace and reconciliation. Then from there they need to prove that their words "I am sorry" actually mean something when they take action to undo the bad that they had done. This is how it works with your spouse, your family members, and your co-workers, etc. Why you think it is different with the Lord is beyond me. For when a person is truly broken and sorrowful over what they have done, they will do great things for the Lord. Remember, why Mary was kissing Jesus's feet? Jesus said she was doing so because her sins were many. She was so grateful that she had been forgiven. No doubt she had wanted forgiveness from the Lord. No doubt Jesus forgave her of her many sins and that is why she did not stop kissing his feet.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The meaning of μετάνοια from three of the major biblical Greek lexicons (BDAG, Louw and Nida and NIDNTTE) citations provided below:

μετανοέω; μετάνοια, ας f: to change one’s way of life as the result of a complete change of thought and attitude with regard to sin and righteousness — ‘to repent, to change one’s way, repentance.’5

μετανοέω: ἐξελθόντες ἐκήρυξαν ἵνα μετανοῶσιν ‘they went out and preached that the people should repent’ Mk 6:12.

μετάνοια: ἀγνοῶν ὅτι τὸ χρηστὸν τοῦ θεοῦ εἰς μετάνοιάν σε ἄγει; ‘do you fail to understand that God is kind because he wants to lead you to repent?’ Ro 2:4.

Though in English a focal component of repent is the sorrow or contrition that a person experiences because of sin, the emphasis in μετανοέω and μετάνοια seems to be more specificaly the total change, both in thought and behavior, with respect to how one should both think and act. Whether the focus is upon attitude or behavior varies somewhat in different contexts. Compare, for example, Lk 3:8, He 6:1, and Ac 26:20.

Louw, Johannes P. and Eugene A. Nida, eds. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains. 2d, Accordance electronic ed., version 4.1. New York: United Bible Societies, 1989.

Accordance Link

μετανοέω G3566 (metanoeō), to change one’s mind, repent, be converted;

μετάνοια G3567 (metanoia), change of mind, repentance, conversion;

ἀμετανόητος G295 (ametanoētos), unrepentant, impenitent

Concepts: Conversion; Hard, Hardened; Think

GL Both the vb. μετανοέω and the noun μετάνοια (from the prep. μετά G3552 [“with, after,” but used in compounds to indicate change] and the vb. νοέω G3783 [“to understand, think”]) are attested no later than the 5th cent. BC, but these terms are used infreq. (and the noun rarely) during the class. period; they become more common in the Hel. age (e.g., each is used several times by Polyb.). The word group conveys the idea of thinking differently, and if the change of mind involves the recognition that the previous opinion was false or bad, we get the sense of feeling remorse or regret. In ancient Gk. culture, however, the thought of a radical change in a person’s life as a whole does not seem to play an important role. Thus the Christian concept of conversion is not derived from Gk. thought, and its origin must be sought elsewhere.

JL 1 In the LXX μετάνοια occurs only 7x, and only once in the canonical Heb. books, namely Prov 14:15, which says that, in contrast to the gullible, simpleminded person, πανοῦργος. . . ἔρχεται εἰς μετάνοιαν, lit., “a clever person comes to a change of mind,” i.e., shows thoughtfulness (but even here the Heb. text reads differently). All remaining occurrences are found in the Apoc., where it is used of repentance from sins (Wis 11:23; 12:10, 19; Sir 44:16; Pr Man 8 = Odes 12.8 [2x]).

The vb. μετανοέω is used 24x (incl. 5x in Jeremiah); although it renders several Heb. terms in isolated cases, it most freq. stands for נחם H5714 niph., and in most instances it is used with ref. to God. Thus we read, in the context of Saul’s punishment, that God οὐκ ἀποστρέψει οὐδὲ μετανοήσει ὅτι οὐχ ὡς ἄνθρωπός ἐστιν τοῦ μετανοῆσαι αὐτός, “will not turn back [Heb. ‏יְשַׁקֵּר, ‘deceive’] or change his mind, for he is not like a human, that he should change his mind” (1 Sam 15:29 NETS [contrast the use of Heb. נחם in 15:11]; cf. also Jer 4:28; Zech 8:14). Elsewhere, however, the point is made that God does change his mind in the sense that, because of his mercy, he relents from bringing judgment on sinful human beings (Jer 18:8; Joel 2:13–14; Amos 7:3, 6; Jonah 3:9–10). In some passages, mainly in the Apoc., human repentance is in view (e.g., Jer 8:6; 31:19 [LXX 38:19]; Wis 5:3; Sir 17:24; 48:15; Pr Man 13 = Odes 12.13), but the concept of spiritual conversion to God is more commonly expressed with ἐπιστρέφω G2188 (see στρέφω G5138).

2 By contrast, μετάνοια and μετανοέω become the characteristic terms for conversion in later Jewish-Gk. writings. This shift in usage is evident in the refs. from the Apoc. already mentioned and even more so in the Pseud. writings (e.g., Sib. Or. 1.129 et al.; T. Reu. 1.9; 2.1.; T. Jud. 19.2; Jos. Asen. 15.6–8). It is striking that the word group is common in Philo (c. 65x) and Jos. (c. 75x), both of whom use the terms mainly to denote repentance of one’s sin (cf. esp. Philo’s extended discussion in Virt. 175–86; for more detail, see J. Behm in TDNT 4:991–95). Some have thought that whereas ἐπιστρέφω focuses on the concrete, physical motion implied by the OT use of שׁוּב I H8740 (e.g., going to the temple in Jerusalem, returning to the Holy Land), μετανοέω directs attention to the thought or the will. It would be a mistake, however, to think that this lexical aspect intellectualizes the concept. The term has in view the conversion of the whole person.

NT 1 The noun μετάνοια occurs 22x in the NT, but half of the occurrences are found in Luke-Acts (only 4x in the Pauline corpus, 3x in Hebrews, 2x in Matthew, plus Mark 1:4 and 2 Pet 3:9). The vb. μετανοέω is used 34x, with 14 instances in Luke-Acts and 12 in Revelation (otherwise 5x in Matthew, 2x in Mark, and 1x in Paul [2 Cor 12:21]). The adj. ἀμετανόητος, “unrepentant,” which occurs only in Rom 2:5, is attested only once prior to the NT (T. Gad 7.5, unless Christian influence lies behind this passage); later the term is often used with a different sense, “not to be regretted, unchangeable” (e.g., Lucian Abdic. 11).

2 The closest link with the prophetic call is undoubtedly found in the ministry of John the Baptist, who called the people to a “baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins” (Mark 1:4 par. Luke 3:3; cf. Matt 3:2, 11; Acts 13:24; 19:4) and to produce its corresponding fruit, i.e., to show the genuineness of their repentance through their conduct (Matt 3:8 par. Luke 3:8). But whereas the motivation for repentance in the OT was linked with the past—characterized by social unrighteousness and idolatry—for John it was that “the kingdom of heaven has come near” (Matt 3:2). Those wishing to escape judgment (cf. 3:10) must repent, so that their whole lives may be changed and brought into a new relationship with God.

3 According to the Synoptics, the preaching of Jesus was virtually identical to that of the Baptist: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” (Matt 4:17; cf. Mark 1:15). The clear difference between them, however, was that Jesus did not, as did John, look for one to follow him (Matt 3:11 par.). He saw in his own coming the beginning of God’s decisive work (11:6; Luke 11:20; 17:21)—hence the woes addressed to the towns that were not ready to repent (Matt 11:20–24 par.). That is why the inhabitants of Nineveh will find it better in the day of judgment than will the contemporaries of Jesus. The former “repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here” (12:41 par.). Thus repentance is viewed in terms of commitment to a person; the call to repentance becomes a call to discipleship. So repentance, faith, and discipleship are different aspects of the same thing (Mark 1:15, “Repent and believe”).

According to Luke 5:32, Jesus stated that he had come (ἐλήλυθα) to call the sinners, not the righteous, εἰς μετάνοιαν, “to repentance” (the par. in Matt 9:9 and Mark 3:13 do not incl. this phrase). Because God has turned to sinners through the coming of Jesus, sinners may and should turn to God. Hence conversion and repentance are accompanied by joy, for they mean the opening up of life for the one who has turned. The parables in Luke 15 bear testimony to the joy of God over the sinner who repents and calls on others to share it (cf. 15:7, 10). God’s gift to people in their conversion is life. When the parable of the prodigal son pictures conversion as a return to the Father, it can be said of the one who has repented, “this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found” (15:24; cf. v. 32).

One should keep in mind that there are many passages in the Gospels where the terms μετάνοια and μετανοέω do not appear, but in which the thought of repentance is clearly present. For instance, “Truly I tell you, unless you change [στραφῆτε] and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matt 18:3); if we wish to become Jesus’ disciples, we must be willing to “let go” (ἀποτάσσω G698) of all our possessions (Luke 14:33). These and other statements help us to see to what extent Jesus’ message was determined by the call to repent in the light of God’s sovereign rule, which he himself had brought in.

4 Primitive Christian preaching continued the call for repentance (cf. Mark 6:12 and the sermons in Acts). This missionary preaching linked with the call for repentance all the elements we have already met: the call to faith (Acts 20:21; 26:18; 19:4) and to be baptized (2:38), the promise of forgiveness of sins (Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31), and the assurance of life and salvation (11:18; 2 Cor 7:9–10). Conversion is turning from evil (Acts 8:22; 2 Cor 12:21; Rev 2:21–22) to God (Acts 20:21; 26:20; Rev 16:9). In Acts 3:19 and 26:20 μετανοέω and ἐπιστρέφω are placed side by side as equivalent terms, though in these cases the former may focus on the abandonment of evil and the latter on the turning to God.

5 The fact that this word group occurs rarely in the Pauline writings and not at all in the Johannine corpus (apart from Revelation) does not mean that the idea of conversion is not present in them, but only that in the meantime a more specialized terminology had developed. Both Paul and John convey the idea of conversion by highlighting faith. Paul speaks of faith as being in Christ, as the dying and rising of a person with Christ, as the new creation, as putting on a new self. The Johannine lit. represents the new life in Christ as new birth, as a passing from death to life and from darkness to light, or as the victory of truth over falsehood, and of love over hate.

6 The early church soon began to consider whether it might be poss. for someone to turn repeatedly to God. The question arose from experiences in their missionary activity and from certain elements in their tradition; e.g., after Peter had long been following Jesus he was told, “when you have turned back . . .” (Luke 22:32, where ἐπιστρέφω is used). Some believe that the writer of Hebrews took the matter to its logical conclusion; they see Heb 6:1–8 as rejecting the possibility of a second repentance. In any case, the passage is intended to stress the absoluteness of conversion over against a form of Christian faith that was lapsing into apathy. Elsewhere the writer suggests that conversion was not just an independent human act but that God must give a “chance to repent” (12:17 NRSV; μετανοίας τόπον, lit., “a place of repentance”). A person who sins deliberately, i.e., defiantly, after receiving enlightenment incurs God’s judgment (6:8; 10:26–27). Such a heavy emphasis on the finality of conversion does not exclude God’s all-embracing desire to save. He is patient, “not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Pet 3:9). Rather it stresses the absoluteness of his mercy: God saves completely and finally.

Silva, Moisés, ed. The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis. 2nd; Accordance electronic ed., version 1.3. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2014.

Accordance Link

μετάνοια, ας, ἡ (μετανοέω) prim. ‘a change of mind’ (Thu. 3, 36, 4; Polyb. 4, 66, 7; Appian, Mithrid. 16 §57; pap [s. New Docs 4, 160; Spicq II 475, 17]; TestSol 12:3 C; JosAs, ApcSed; ApcMos 32; Jos., C. Ap. 1, 274, Ant. 16, 125; Just., Tat.), also w. the nuance of ‘remorse’ (as regret for shortcomings and errors: Batr. 69; Lycon the Peripatetic [III BC], fgm. 23 Wehrli [in Diog. L. 5, 66]; Polyb. 18, 33, 7; Stoic. III 147, ln. 21f; Cebes 10, 4; 11, 1; Plut., Mor. 56a; 68f; 961d, Alex. 11, 4, Mar. 10, 4; 39, 3; Chariton 1, 3, 7; Appian, Liby. 52 §225; 102 §482; 116 §553; M. Ant. 8, 10; Ps.-Lucian, Calumn. 5; Jos., Ant. 13, 314. Of the ‘remorse’ of Sophia Iren. 1, 3, 1 [Harv. I 24, 7]); in our lit. w. focus on the need of change in view of responsibility to deity (cp. Hierocles 14, 451; Sir 44:16; Wsd 12:10, 19; Prayer of Manasseh [=Odes 12] 8; Philo, Det. Pot. Ins. 96, Spec. Leg. 1, 58, Virt. 175ff [περὶ μετανοίας] al.; EpArist 188; Jos., Ant. 9, 176; TestReub 2:1; TestJud 19:2; TestGad 5:7f; JosAs 15:6ff; 16:7; ApcSed prol.: περὶ ἀγάπης καὶ περὶ μ.; 14:3 ἐν μετανοίαις; SibOr 1, 129; 168; Iren. 1, 21, 2 [Harv. 182, 7]; Orig., C. Cels. 7, 57, 3f; Did., Gen. 97, 15) repentance, turning about, conversion; as a turning away μετάνοια ἀπὸ νεκρῶν ἔργων turning away from dead works Hb 6:1. Mostly of the positive side of repentance, as the beginning of a new relationship with God: ἡ εἰς θεὸυ μ. repentance that leads to God Ac 20:21. ἄξια τῆς μετανοίας ἔργα deeds that are consistent with repentance 26:20. Also καρπὸν ἄξιον τῆς μ. Mt 3:8; cp. Lk 3:8. βαπτίζειν εἰς μ. baptize for repentance Mt 3:11 (s. βαπτίζω 2a; also εἰς 10a). βάπτισμα μετανοίας Mk 1:4; Lk 3:3; cp. Ac 13:24; 19:4 (alt. λουτροῦ . . . τῆς μ. Just., D. 14, 1) χρείαν ἔχειν μετανοίας need repentance or conversion Lk 15:7. κηρύσσειν μ. εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν preach repentance that leads to the forgiveness of sins 24:47 (μετάνοιαν καὶ ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν διὰ . . . λουτροῦ παλλιγγενεσίας Theoph. Ant. 2, 16 [p. 140. 8f]); cp. 1 Cl 7:6. ἔχειν καιρὸν μετανοίας still have time for repentance 2 Cl 8:2. τόπον μετανοίας διδόναι give an opportunity for repentance (Wsd 12:10; cp. ἵνα μετάνοια δοθῇ Did., Gen. 169, 4; ἀφορμὴν μετανοίας καὶ ἐξομολογήσεως παράσχειν Theoph. Ant. 2, 29 [p. 170, 17]) 1 Cl 7:5. μετανοίας τόπον εὑρίσκειν Hb 12:17 (cp. μετανοίας τόπον ἔχειν Tat. 15:3). διδόναι τινὶ (τὴν) μ. (cp. Wsd 12:19; M. J. Brutus, Ep. 7) Ac 5:31; 11:18; 2 Ti 2:25; B 16:9; cp. Hv 4, 1, 3; Hs 8, 6, 2; 8, 11, 1. τιθέναι τινὶ μετάνοιαν prescribe repentance for someone Hm 4, 3, 4; cp. 5; καλεῖν τινα εἰς μ. Lk 5:32 (ApcSed 15:2; Just., A I, 15, 7; 90, 7); Mt 9:13 v.l.; Mk 2:17 v.l. (cp. καλοῦνται αὐτοὺς ἐπὶ μ. καὶ διόρθωσιν τῆς ψυχῆς αὐτῶν Orig., C. Cels. 3, 62, 3). περὶ μετανοίας λαλεῖν 1 Cl 8:1. ἀκούσαντες ταύτην τὴν μετάνοιαν when they heard of this repentance Hs 8, 10, 3; παιδεύεσθαι εἰς μ. be disciplined so as to repent 1 Cl 57:1. εἰς μ. ἄγειν τινά (EpArist 188; Jos., Ant. 4, 144; cp. Appian, Bell. Civ. 2, 63 §262 θεοῦ σφᾶς ἐπὶ μετάνοιαν ἄγοντος) Ro 2:4; ἀνακαινίζειν εἰς μ. Hb 6:6; χωρῆσαι εἰς μ. come to repentance 2 Pt 3:9. μετάνοιαν λαμβάνειν receive repentance (after denying Christ) Hs 9, 26, 6a. μετανοίας μετασχεῖν 1 Cl 8:5. μετάνοιαν ἔχειν have a possibility of repentance Hm 4, 3, 3; Hs 8, 8, 2. ἐστί τινι μετάνοιαν have a possibility of repentance Hv 2, 2, 5c; 3, 7, 5; Hs 8, 8, 5; 8, 9, 4a; 9, 19, 1; 9, 20, 4. τινὶ μετάνοιά ἐστι μία have (only) one possibility of repentance Hm 4, 1, 8; cp. 4, 3, 1. μ. κεῖταί τινι repentance is ready, available for someone Hs 9, 19, 2f; 9, 22, 4; 9, 26, 6b. ἐπίκειταί τινι 8, 7, 2a. γίνεταί τινι 9, 26, 5; εἰς μάτην ἐστὶν ἡ μ. is in vain 6, 1, 3. ταχινὴ ὀφείλει εἶναι must follow quickly 8, 9, 4b. ἡ μ. σύνεσίς ἐστιν μεγάλη is great understanding Hm 4, 2, 2. μ. καθαρά 12, 3, 2; cp. s 7:6. μ. ἁμαρτίας rep. for sin 2 Cl 16:4; cp. Hm 4, 3, 3. μ. ζωῆς rep. that leads to life Hs 6, 2, 3; cp. 8, 6, 6. ἐλπὶς μετανοίας hope of repentance or conversion IEph 10:1; Hs 6, 2, 4; 8, 7, 2b; 8, 10, 2. W. πίστις and other Christian virtues 1 Cl 62:2. The ἄγγελος τῆς μ. appears in Hermas as a proclaimer of repentance: v 5:7; Hm 12, 4, 7; 12, 6, 1; Hs 9, 1, 1; 9, 14, 3; 9, 23, 5; 9, 24, 4; λυπεῖσθαι εἰς μ. feel pain that leads to repentance 2 Cor 7:9, λύπη μετάνοιαν ἐργάζεται (cp. Plut., Mor. 476f) vs. 10.—W. the Christian use of the word in mind Polycarp says ἀμετάθετος ἡμῖν ἡ ἀπὸ τῶν κρειττόνων ἐπὶ τὰ χείρω μετάνοια for us ‘repentance’ from the better to the worse is impossible MPol 11:1.—WHolladay, The Root Šûbh in the OT, ’58.—TRE VII 446–51; RAC II 105–18.—DELG s.v. νόος. M-M. EDNT. TW. Spicq. Sv.

Bauer, W., F. W. Danker, W. F. Arndt, and F. W. Gingrich, eds. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. 3d, Accordance electronic ed., version 2.4. Chicago

: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

Accordance Link

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
μετάνοια: ἀγνοῶν ὅτι τὸ χρηστὸν τοῦ θεοῦ εἰς μετάνοιάν σε ἄγει;

Chances are you do not know what this says by just looking at it.
In fact, most people today cannot really know Greek or Hebrew because they are dead languages.
They are only guessing.

You said:
‘do you fail to understand that God is kind because he wants to lead you to repent?’ Ro 2:4.

When you read Romans 2:4, you also have to read Romans 10:13 that says,

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

You said:
Though in English a focal component of repent is the sorrow or contrition that a person experiences because of sin, the emphasis in μετανοέω and μετάνοια seems to be more specificaly the total change, both in thought and behavior, with respect to how one should both think and act. Whether the focus is upon attitude or behavior varies somewhat in different contexts. Compare, for example, Lk 3:8,

Actually Luke 3:8 is proof that the word "repentance" or the word "repent" is not in reference to exclusively a change of mind and actions. For it is saying that we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Is not fruits the very action of obedience? How can one repent by obeying and then have fruits worthy of that obedience? It makes no sense to say that. It only makes sense if the word "repent" means to ask God for forgiveness.

You said:

Also, when you read Hebrews 6:1, you also have to read Hebrews 4:16 that says,

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16).

You said:
and Ac 26:20.

Acts of the Apostles 26:20 says we are to do works befitting of repentance. Again, if one is already doing works as a part of repentance, then how can they do works befitting of such a thing? It makes no sense. It only makes sense if the word "repent" is talking about asking God to forgive you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you are continually doing is defining a word by what it contextually denotes, not what it means by itself. Metanoeō does basically mean a change of mind, as in "afterthought, from meta meaning "after" or "beyond" and nous meaning "mind". In Classical Greek metanoia meant changing one's mind about someone or something." But in the NT metanoia is contextually used as denoting a change required in the light of something else.

Seeing as the kingdom of God is at hand and what that signifies, men are called to repent, to change, (Mat. 3:2; 4:17, Mark 1:15, 6:3) which always begins with the mind/heart, and thus will affect actions.

Seeing as judgment came upon others due to sin, the rest are called to change, to turn from sin. Luk 13:3.5.

If one who wronged you comes and tells you in so many words that he/she has changed in regard to this wrong then you are to forgive that person.

Confessing the wrong is implicit in this change, as is often asking forgiveness, though that need not be formally explicitly expressed. The dying contrite criminal of Luke 13 never asked the Lord "please forgive me," but this was what he was doing in admitting his punishment was just, and in asking Jesus, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." (Luke 23:42) Likewise the same was being expressed by the 3,000+ believers who were baptized on the day of Pentecost.

I am not arguing that one cannot come to the faith by just believing in Christ as their Savior.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12).

But you also cannot argue from silence and say that just because people did simply believe in Christ for salvation that repentance (asking God for forgiveness of sin) is not necessary.

Again, Acts of the Apostles 8:22 and Luke 17:3 are non-sensical if they exclusively mean a change of mind. If I told you to have a change of mind about something that doesn't even mean anything. But if I told you to seek forgiveness, then you would know what to do. It is clear and it makes sense.

For many people have different understanding about what a "change of mind" means. There are some OSAS proponents who believe they can sin as much as they want and still be saved. They like the definition of "repentance" to mean a change of mind because it does not mean they have to change their actions. Then there are others who think repentance is forsaking sin (with "change of mind" playing an important part behind one's actions). Again, if one is not sorry over their sin, and they are seeking to do just works for God, then they are having the wrong focus with God. They first need to seek forgiveness with the Lord at some point. That is where it begins. God will convict a person of their sin (John 16:8) and they will repent, i.e. ask God for forgiveness.

In other words, it's like when somebody bumps into you really hard in the crowd and almost knocks you down and they don't even say they are sorry or even care. That is what I am getting at here. Paul says Godly sorrow leads to repentance unto salvation (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mean come on folks.

Read Matthew 12:41 and then compare it with Jonah 3:8; For it says that the King of the Ninevites told his people to cry mightily unto God and forsake their evil ways. The crying unto God part is asking for forgiveness of sin. Jesus references that the Ninevites will rise up in judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says,

"The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; (Matthew 12:41).​

The King of Nineveh declares to his people,

"But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands." (Jonah 3:8).​

When a person asks God for forgiveness of their sin and really mean it, they are going to naturally turn from their evil and wicked ways.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Chances are you do not know what this says by just looking at it.
In fact, most people today cannot really know Greek or Hebrew because they are dead languages.
They are only guessing.

When you read Romans 2:4, you also have to read Romans 10:13 that says,

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

Actually Luke 3:8 is proof that the word "repentance" or the word "repent" is not in reference to exclusively a change of mind and actions. For it is saying that we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Is not fruits the very action of obedience? How can one repent by obeying and then have fruits worthy of that obedience? It makes no sense to say that. It only makes sense if the word "repent" means to ask God for forgiveness.

Also, when you read Hebrews 6:1, you also have to read Hebrews 4:16 that says,

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16).

Acts of the Apostles 26:20 says we are to do works befitting of repentance. Again, if one is already doing works as a part of repentance, then how can they do works befitting of such a thing? It makes no sense. It only makes sense if the word "repent" is talking about asking God to forgive you.

You have no idea what you are talking about so I will leave it with you...

PS... both Greek and Hebrew are not dead languages and their modern derivatives are in use today and Koine Greek and Hebrew language scholars would know more about these language than what you think you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right!
We can see an example from Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-10).
Zacchaeus was a tax collector with bad reputation, but after meeting Jesus, he changed his way. He decided to share his goods with the poor and give back what he stole.
Then what did Jesus say?
“Today salvation has come to this house”

Repentance is to take off the old self with its practices and to put on new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of God. (Colossians 3:7-17). We are called to live holy.

To add to it all, in Isaiah 59:20, it says,
The Redeemer will come to Zion to those in Jacob who REPENT OF THEIR SINS!” declares the LORD.
Amazing. When my husband and I were talking about the subject of a born again person being a new creature in Christ, the very subject of Zacheas was mentioned extensively. And I had not heard or read that part of the Bible in a long time. And I hadn't discussed it in a real long time. So reading your post this evening is truly a confirmation. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not arguing that one cannot come to the faith by just believing in Christ as their Savior.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12).

But you also cannot argue from silence and say that just because people did simply believe in Christ for salvation that repentance (asking God for forgiveness of sin) is not necessary.

Again, Acts of the Apostles 8:22 and Luke 17:3 are non-sensical if they exclusively mean a change of mind. If I told you to have a change of mind about something that doesn't even mean anything. But if I told you to seek forgiveness, then you would know what to do. It is clear and it makes sense.

For many people have different understanding about what a "change of mind" means. There are some OSAS proponents who believe they can sin as much as they want and still be saved. They like the definition of "repentance" to mean a change of mind because it does not mean they have to change their actions. Then there are others who think repentance is forsaking sin (with "change of mind" playing an important part behind one's actions). Again, if one is not sorry over their sin, and they are seeking to do just works for God, then they are having the wrong focus with God. They first need to seek forgiveness with the Lord at some point. That is where it begins. God will convict a person of their sin (John 16:8) and they will repent, i.e. ask God for forgiveness.

In other words, it's like when somebody bumps into you really hard in the crowd and almost knocks you down and they don't even say they are sorry or even care. That is what I am getting at here. Paul says Godly sorrow leads to repentance unto salvation (2 Corinthians 7:10).
Once again it seems like you are reading something i did not say or misunderstanding it. To repent in relation to faith in the NT means to have a change of mind which in turn means to have changes in life correspondent to that change and the faith one is choosing.

One who claims to repent in relation to believing, but does not manifest correspondent changes - which means following the Lord and repenting when convicted of not doing so - have not repented in the context of faith. When you repent/turn to the Lord Jesus in faith you are implicitly choosing to act accordingly (though the change is relative to the light and grace once realizes). But it is such effectual faith which is counted for righteousness that renders one accepted in the Beloved, on His account, as explained.

Nothing much more should need to be said.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here Peter is telling Simon to ask forgiveness from God for his sin.

Acts of the Apostles 8:22 says,
"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee."​

In other words, this verse is saying,
Ask God for forgiveness for your sin for your wickedness (i.e. to repent) and pray to God that he may forgive you.

2 Corinthians 7:10-12

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, the saving of our spirit soul and body. In the present tense we are being saved, that is our souls. We have been saved (Our spirit is saved by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) and our bodies will be saved in the day of the Lord.

Repentance is the gateway to true relationship with God because sin in the primary hindrance to that relationship. God has already established everything in Christ, but sin prevents us from being in Christ. We cannot say we are in Christ and also walk in sin. Just as light and darkness have no fellowship, neither does sin and Christ. Christ cannot have fellowship with sin, although he can have fellowship with sinful people because of the atonement. But when He redeems us He cannot have true fellowship with us if we continue to willfully walk in sin.

Without Christ we cannot bear any fruit. The life of Christ in us becomes depleted and we are running on fumes, and the enemy gains an advantage. The enemy works hard to destroy our relationship with Christ, especially when it is at its weakest. This is not to say the enemy can pluck us out of His hand, but he can convince us to abandon the Lord. We are in great danger without unity and accountability in the local body.

We need repentance to be re-established in Christ, so we can live a fruitful life by doing all of the works God prepared in advance for us to do. Without repentance we will be living nothing but a defeated life. We will become self-deceived and stuck where we are spiritually and it can go on for a long time. If we are seeking the Lord with a repentant heart then we will understand the truth and the truth shall make you free. I think repentance is a turning to God away from sin because He is holy and righteous, and especially because of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is Not a Change of Mind.

Many think that just believing in Jesus as one's Savior and that He died and had risen on their behalf is "repentance" (i.e. a change of mind or belief in the gospel). While we must believe in the gospel and Jesus Christ as our Savior, that is not "repentance." If we were to look for the definition for the word "repentance", it cannot be found by looking at a Lexicon or some dead language that we did not grow up writing or speaking. Repentance can easily be defined by reading the Bible in your own language and by looking at the context.

What is Repentance?

Jesus defined repentance for us.
He said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (Repentance).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

After the Ninevites had turned from their wicked ways it was --- THEN --- that God decided to turn away from bringing wrath or Judgment upon them.

Proverbs 28:13 says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.
1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light as he [Christ] is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

Repentance is something that a believer does when they first come to the faith. They admit they are a sinner to Jesus and ask Him to be forgiven of their sins. They do this with the intention that they will turn away from sin and never do it again. Repentance can also be done on occasion (and not as a lifestyle) by a believer who has walked with God, as well. This would be 1 John 2:1 and 1 John 1:9 (cf. 1 John 1:7).

The parable of the two sons (Matthew 21:28-32) is a lesson also in proper repentance. The son who repented and obeyed the father is the one who truly repented.

Another word for "repent" in the sense of crying out unto God is called the "Sinner's Prayer." The Sinner's Prayer is a prayer towards God admitting that you are a sinner who is in need of His forgiveness and or salvation. While the Sinner's Prayer applies to both the new believer (who comes to the faith for the first time) and or the seasoned believer (who may stumble on occasion), here are verses that just support the Sinner's Prayer for the new believer.

#1. Romans 10:13 (cross reference with Joel 2:12-13 and Joel 2:32).

#2. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#3. Luke 18:9-14 (it is not said whether the Tax Collector is a new convert or a seasoned believer). The point of the parable is that the Tax Collector was "humble."; And we know Scripture says elsewhere that, "God gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6).

#4. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

Side Note 1:
Oh, and as for the seasoned believer and the Sinner's Prayer:
Well, John tells believers to confess their sins so as to be forgiven of their sin - 1 John 1:9.

Side Note 2:
Please also take note that I believe in rare cases a person can be initially saved by merely believing Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 1:12-13). However, I believe that in time, if the believer has the capacity to do so, they will come to accept those verses in the Bible that teaches them that they will also call upon the Lord to save them from their sinful condition. In other words, it is sort of like the topic of the Trinity (Which is a true teaching in the Bible). A person does not need to know about the Trinity in order to be initially saved. But in time, when they come to later learn of the Trinity, they cannot reject such a truth (after it is was revealed to them), otherwise they would be denying the very God as described in the Holy Scriptures. However, most people are aware "repentance" in the plan of salvation, so most people are without excuse when it comes to "repentance."
Simply, which it should be is.

Repentance is not a Feeling, an Emotion, it is an Action.

Repentance is only accomplished by the turning away from sin.

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Repentance is accomplished through Baptism.

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The pain of guilt for our sins that touches our heart, which causes us to amend our ways and doings.
If we COULD amend our ways, we wouldn't NEED a Savior

I would be as the impenitent sinner who refuses to repent when they sin; Nay rather when we sin we should repent; it is that simple.

Isn't it only, a person who Sins, a Sinner?

Now that, is as simple as it gets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many think that just believing in Jesus as one's Savior and that He died and had risen on their behalf is "repentance" (i.e. a change of mind or belief in the gospel). While we must believe in the gospel and Jesus Christ as our Savior, that is not "repentance."

Actually, as some have already pointed out, it is repentance, though not, perhaps, the sum total of it. Believing in the truths of the Gospel and trusting oneself to the Saviour requires, for every person who is converted, a change of mind, a change in thinking and behaviour. This is the heart of repentance.

If we were to look for the definition for the word "repentance", it cannot be found by looking at a Lexicon or some dead language that we did not grow up writing or speaking.

Says who? You? Who made you the final arbiter of the usefulness of Hebrew and Greek dictionaries in understanding Scripture? It is precisely because we did not grow up speaking and writing ancient Greek and Hebrew (and Aramaic) that we need language lexicons.

Repentance can easily be defined by reading the Bible in your own language and by looking at the context.

Reading the Bible in your own language required the expertise of the language scholars whose language lexicons you just dismissed! You could not read the Bible in your own language if not for their expertise in translating from those "dead languages."

What is Repentance?

He said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (The Natural Fruits of Repentance).
After the Ninevites had turned from their wicked ways it was --- THEN --- that God decided to turn away from bringing wrath or Judgment upon them.

Do you know who repents most in the Bible? It isn't any human person. It's God. He does more repenting than anyone else! (Ge. 6:6; Ex. 32:14; Jdg. 2:18; 1Sam. 15:35; 1 Sam. 24:16; 1 Ch. 21:15; Jer. 26:19 and so on.) Is He repenting from "sin" and "evil ways"? Obviously not. Scripture, then, does not always or primarily mean by "repent" or "repentance" what you say it does. As in God's case, "repentance" chiefly means "a change of mind" which is how Bible translators and scholars have understood and translated the word for a long time now.

1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light as he [Christ] is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

Confession and repentance are related but they aren't synonymous. Confession is admitting and agreeing with God that the sin you committed was, in fact, sin. Repentance is changing your mind about the sin you've been committing.

Another word for "repent" in the sense of crying out unto God is called the "Sinner's Prayer." The Sinner's Prayer is a prayer towards God admitting that you are a sinner who is in need of His forgiveness and or salvation. While the Sinner's Prayer applies to both the new believer (who comes to the faith for the first time) and or the seasoned believer (who may stumble on occasion), here are verses that just support the Sinner's Prayer for the new believer.

Repentance - a change of mind or thinking - may lead to a prayer for salvation, but such a prayer is not, I think, itself repentance. It is the fruit of repentance.

But the vast majority of English Bible translations render the verse with either "repent" or "change," not "do penance" or "be sorry for your sins." These two renderings are notable in this instance only for their departure from the common translation made by most Bible language scholars. When you have to resort to the minority, to the unusual renderings, to make your case, you should realize this is suggestive of a faulty line of thinking and Bible interpretation.

Repentance is essentially asking God to forgive you of your sin (with the intention you will not sin again). This of course will lead one to forsake sin if they are pure of heart and true with God.

No, this is not repentance. This is the result of repentance.

Nobody truly knows Greek to know what these Lexicons say is true unless they were to trust their Bibles in the English. For I can make a dictionary up on a dead language and people in the far in the future would be none the wiser.

Apparently, you know next to nothing about the translation of the Bible into English.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is essentially asking God to forgive you of your sin (with the intention you will not sin again). This of course will lead one to forsake sin if they are pure of heart and true with God.
How many times have you personally, Repented of your sin, (with the intention of not sinning again), only to Repent again, (with the intention of not sinning again), only to Repent again, (with the intention of not sinning again), only to Repent again, (with the intention of not sinning again)?

The asking and not turning away from your sin, is a never ending process, if you believe you can sin after you have Received Jesus as your Savior.

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance is Not a Change of Mind.

Many think that just believing in Jesus as one's Savior and that He died and had risen on their behalf is "repentance" (i.e. a change of mind or belief in the gospel). While we must believe in the gospel and Jesus Christ as our Savior, that is not "repentance." If we were to look for the definition for the word "repentance", it cannot be found by looking at a Lexicon or some dead language that we did not grow up writing or speaking. Repentance can easily be defined by reading the Bible in your own language and by looking at the context.

What is Repentance?

(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

Repentance is something that a believer does when they first come to the faith. They admit they are a sinner to Jesus and ask Him to be forgiven of their sins. They do this with the intention that they will turn away from sin and never do it again. Repentance can also be done on occasion (and not as a lifestyle) by a believer who has walked with God, as well. This would be 1 John 2:1 and 1 John 1:9 (cf. 1 John 1:7).

The parable of the two sons (Matthew 21:28-32) is a lesson also in proper repentance. The son who repented and obeyed the father is the one who truly repented.

#1. Romans 10:13 (cross reference with Joel 2:12-13 and Joel 2:32).

#2. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#3. Luke 18:9-14 (it is not said whether the Tax Collector is a new convert or a seasoned believer). The point of the parable is that the Tax Collector was "humble."; And we know Scripture says elsewhere that, "God gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6).

Side Note 1:
Oh, and as for the seasoned believer and the Sinner's Prayer:
Well, John tells believers to confess their sins so as to be forgiven of their sin - 1 John 1:9.

Side Note 2:
Please also take note that I believe in rare cases a person can be initially saved by merely believing Jesus Christ as their Savior (John 1:12-13). However, I believe that in time, if the believer has the capacity to do so, they will come to accept those verses in the Bible that teaches them that they will also call upon the Lord to save them from their sinful condition. In other words, it is sort of like the topic of the Trinity (Which is a true teaching in the Bible). A person does not need to know about the Trinity in order to be initially saved. But in time, when they come to later learn of the Trinity, they cannot reject such a truth (after it is was revealed to them), otherwise they would be denying the very God as described in the Holy Scriptures. However, most people are aware "repentance" in the plan of salvation, so most people are without excuse when it comes to "repentance."

These posts just gets boring so i'll post it yet again.

If repentance is stopping doing sin then why did God repent here ? If you assume that repentance is turning from sin then God himself is not sinless period .

Exodus 32:14
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

You can clearly see that repentance is change of mind - God changed is mind .

Also person who make post like this does not know what current gospel of salvation for gentiles and everybody is .

It's in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Because you are preaching works salvation posts like these are the outcome and make confusion , Jesus was preaching gospel of kingdom and it's not for us today but it will come back in tribulation .

Upvote 0