Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Faith is as i stated, trusting in someone or some thing.
Cockcrow brought up an interesting point. God was said to have "repented" in the Old Testament, and it was never related to sin, for God cannot sin, but rather a change in direction or mind. The very changing of direction is necessary for faith.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Cockcrow brought up an interesting point. God was said to have "repented" in the Old Testament, and it was never related to sin, for God cannot sin, but rather a change in direction or mind. The very changing of direction is necessary for faith.
No it is not a person like me, who was brought up in church. who always believed in God, all i had to do was to understand how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. Once that was explained, i trusted in Jesus for Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
repent simply means change of mind. God repented 35 times and he doesn't sin.

In this article: God Does Not Repent Like a Man John Piper asserts that "God is not a man that he should repent" - the Scriptural basis being in 1 Samuel 15:29 and Numbers 23:19.

Though there is evidence of God's repentance, even in the previous verse of 1 Samuel 15:11, "The difference would naturally be that God's repentance happens in spite of perfect foreknowledge, while most human repentance happens because we lack foreknowledge".

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In this article: God Does Not Repent Like a Man John Piper asserts that "God is not a man that he should repent" - the Scriptural basis being in 1 Samuel 15:29 and Numbers 23:19.

Though there is evidence of God's repentance, even in the previous verse of 1 Samuel 15:11, "The difference would naturally be that God's repentance happens in spite of perfect foreknowledge, while most human repentance happens because we lack foreknowledge".
Well, that totally went over your head. :/

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, that totally went over your head. :/
Well, would you be so kind as to explain? I'm only trying to highlight a difference between God's repentance and man's repentance. They are not the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, would you be so kind as to explain?
The point was not that God actually changes His mind, but that repentance does not have to involve sin, as d taylor seems to suggest. Repentance is simply a change in direction or disposition. Of course, with God that is simply an analogy. Turning to Christ in faith, which is a turning from sin as well, is a form of repentance, which is a long life process in the Christian life. It does not begin after faith, but is the very underlying change that carries faith to its object.

I apologize for my words, they were inappropriate.

• Friendly
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0