Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, 'Are you not the anointed one? Save yourself and us!' But the other rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? We deserve this, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.' And he said, 'Joshua, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' And he said to him, 'Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.'
– Luke 23:39-43

We often treat repentance as a means to an end, that is, for the forgiveness of our sins; but the message that is carried throughout the Scriptures shows us that repentance is that very gift that the Father bestows to humanity. A common misunderstanding is that repentance is simply a turning away from sin, but Scripture reminds us that it involves a turning to faith and righteousness (Matthew 3:8). Salvation chiefly centers around the change that occurs in the mind and heart of a sinner, because, having "once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and mind, we were by nature children of wrath like the rest of mankind" (Ephesians 2:3). God has called us for holiness, and without repentance, there is no way of growing in it. We speak of regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification, forgetting that all of these are stages of God's work carried out through a continual change in direction from the position we stood on and the way we lived before. Repentance is the true heart of the gospel message, for reconciliation with God cannot be found outside it. We should not see this change as the mere beginning of our faith, but the very path that we are called to walk and the end of it, too.

The criminal that confessed to Jesus his destitute condition and unworthiness displayed the only true condition and worthiness of Paradise, and was granted entrance into that heavenly abode. Let this be a reminder that God seeks more than reconciliation, but also the conforming of His people to the image of the Son (Romans 8:29).
"For we are His workmanship, created in the anointed Joshua for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."
– Ephesians 2:10

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

What kind of salvation are you speaking of. Because belief, faith, trust is the means by which a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. Repentance has nothing to do with receiving God's Eternal Life salvation.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."
– Proverbs 28:13
There are at least two types of 'repentance' in Scripture:
The verb metamelomai is used of a change of mind, such as to produce regret or even remorse on account of sin, but not necessarily a change of heart. This word is used with reference to the repentance of Judas (Matthew 27:3).

The verb metanoeo refers to the change in one's mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge. This verb, with the cognate noun metanoia, is used of true repentance, a change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised.

– Easton's Bible Dictionary
When a person believes or trusts in the person and work of Christ, they are making a change in direction. You cannot come to trust in Christ's righteousness without turning from your own righteousness, that is, a change in disposition, as the means to eternal life. Let's examine where metanoeo is used in reference to salvation:
"God has granted repentance (metanoia) that leads to life."
– Acts 11:18
"For godly grief produces a repentance (metanoia) that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death."
– 2 Corinthians 7:10
"God may grant them repentance (metanoia) leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will."
– 2 Timothy 2:25-26
"Unless you repent (metanoeo), you too will all perish.”
– Luke 13:5
I do not know exactly what you mean by repentance, if you consider it an action or work, but that is not the way Scripture uses it. It is the means to faith in Christ, and is the other side of the coin of faith. In simple terms, faith and repentance are the same.

Since I have shown you "proof," it is now your turn to prove that this is not so, and please explain the verses I mentioned above. I believe, and hope that, your misunderstanding comes from a miscommunication rather than a fault in your doctrine. I believe we can come to an agreement here.

Edit: had to change Luke 13:5 from noun to verb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There are at least two types of 'repentance' in Scripture:

When a person believes or trusts in the person and work of Christ, they are making a change in direction. You cannot come to trust in Christ's righteousness without turning from your own righteousness, that is, a change in disposition, as the means to eternal life. Let's examine where metanoeo is used in reference to salvation:

I do not know exactly what you mean by repentance, if you consider it an action or work, but that is not the way Scripture uses it. It is the means to faith in Christ, and is the other side of the coin of faith. In simple terms, faith and repentance are the same.

Since I have shown you "proof," it is now your turn to prove that this is not so, and please explain the verses I mentioned above. I believe, and hope that, your misunderstanding comes from a miscommunication rather than a fault in your doctrine. I believe we can come to an agreement here.

No faith and repentance are not the same. Faith is placing trust in a person or in the case of The Bible placing trust in God (His promise). Where as repentance is turning from a sin or sins, so the person repenting no longer is doing that particular sin or sins. Example a person who is a liar, if they were to repent form lying they would no longer lie.

The only book of The Bible (The Gospel of John) whose stated purpose for being written. Is to tell people how to have eternal life, never list repentance as a condition to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life, but again and again belief, faith, trust is.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No faith and repentance are not the same. Faith is placing trust in a person or in the case of The Bible placing trust in God (His promise). Where as repentance is turning from a sin or sins, so the person repenting no longer is doing that particular sin or sins. Example a person who is a liar, if they were to repent form lying they would no longer lie.

The only book of The Bible (The Gospel of John) whose stated purpose for being written. Is to tell people how to have eternal life, never list repentance as a condition to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life, but again and again belief, faith, trust is.
I showed you that repentance is not the mere refraining from particular sins, but a change in one's mind and direction. You can't put your faith in Christ without turning to Him. That "turning" is repentance.

If, however, you believe that we were born trusting in Christ, then I would have to disagree strongly. However, the act of faith is an act of turning in direction.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I showed you that repentance is not the mere refraining from particular sins, but a change in one's mind and direction. You can't put your faith in Christ without turning to Him. That "turning" is repentance.

If, however, you believe that we were born trusting in Christ, then I would have to disagree strongly. However, the act of faith is an act of turning in direction.

You did not show me, you showed me that that is how you believe it is.

Repentance is connected to sin and the stopping or turning from sin.

Where is the mentioning of repentance in Ephesians 2:8,9

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You did not show me, you showed me that that is how you believe it is.
In what way? I showed you the Greek, but you refused to listen.
Repentance is connected to sin and the stopping or turning from sin.
It is also connected to faith and turning to Christ.
Where is the mentioning of repentance in Ephesians 2:8,9
You still haven't addressed the verses you asked me to pull up. It would solve your present question.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In what way? I showed you the Greek, but you refused to listen.

It is also connected to faith and turning to Christ.

You still haven't addressed the verses you asked me to pull up. It would solve your present question.

I did not need to address the verses you posted, none of them were addressing receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You want to see verses that is addressing God's free gift of Eternal Life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is
condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only
begotten Son of God.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm reading this article, and I can't help but scratch my head (literally, my head itches right now ironically).
What the Lord Jesus means by repentance here is evident when we look at the repentance of the Ninevites in Jonah Chapter 3. In response to Jonah’s proclamation of coming judgment, all of the people of Ninevah fasted and put on sackcloth (Jonah 3:5) and “turned from their evil way” (Jonah 3:10). The repentance of the Ninevites was not faith in Christ and it was not a necessary precursor to faith in Christ. They decided to turn from their sins because they hoped to escape the destruction of their city and the widespread loss of lives that Jonah had proclaimed (“who can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away His fierce anger, so that we may not perish?”-Jonah 3:9).
Okay, but the Ninevites turning from sin to avoid destruction is more than similar to a the sinner turning from sin to avoid condemnation. I'm not seeing the discontinuity here as the author of this article is presenting. Inserting the fact that the Ninevites never heard of Christ is a bit irrelevant. They turned around from the way they were living prior, and God relented of the disaster. That's a temporal salvation typifying eternal salvation. The Ninevites continued to enjoy living in their land after they repented.

To put one's faith in Christ implies a rejecting of one's own works for self-justification. If you trust in Christ instead of your own righteousness, that's still a turning from sin to faith. I'm missing the point here.
Jesus taught the apostles about repentance when He said, “If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him” (Luke 17:4). Again, repentance here is neither faith in Christ, nor a necessary precursor to faith in Christ. It is a decision to turn from one’s sins.
Again, if repentance leads to forgiveness, then there is no longer any condemnation, since there is nothing demanded as due for payment (Romans 8:1). The opposite of condemnation is eternal life, if I am not wrong.

What do you make of this passage?:
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him."
- John 3:36
So to not believe is a form of disobedience, and if that is so, then logically speaking, believing is turning from disobedience. It says it right there to not obey the Son, which is sin, shall not see life. I think this is pretty clear from Jesus in John's Gospel.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
So, is believing a form of obedience and unbelief a form of disobedience? Is Jesus calling us to turn from unbelief?
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is
condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only
begotten Son of God.
If I don't believe, am I disobeying, thus committing sin?

No matter how you put it, repentance is implied.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So, is believing a form of obedience and unbelief a form of disobedience? Is Jesus calling us to turn from unbelief?

If I don't believe, am I disobeying, thus committing sin?

No matter how you put it, repentance is implied.
It is interesting how you seem to connecting sin to receiving Eternal Life. Jesus took away the sin of the world on the cross, sin is not a factor in whether a person believes or not. A person stepped in sin can believe in Jesus for Eternal Life. Paul did, nowhere is it stated Paul repented. He simply came to believe that Jesus was who He said He was from, the personal witness of Jesus on the Damascus road.

God has given one condition to receive His free gift of Eternal Life, He does not force eternal Life on everyone.

The obedience is to obey the condition, it is not a life long obedience that a person has to live.

If a person believes in The Messiah they have then obeyed God's condition. It is like when asked of Jesus what are the works they were to do, Jesus replied the work to do, is to believe in The one God sent.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Some things I believe:

A person can no more change his beliefs than he can change what his favorite kind of ice cream is.
Repentance is necessary for salvation. It was Christ's central message:
Matthew 4:17 CSB17
“From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, because the kingdom of heaven has come near.””
Repentance was known in Judaism. That's why Christ preached on it. It was turning away from sin and towards Christ.
John 6:29 CSB17
“Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the one he has sent.””
So belief is a work.

There is a sticky thing between belief and faith. Belief doesn't get you into heaven.
James 2:19 CSB17
“You believe that God is one. Good! Even the demons believe—and they shudder.”
Faith is what gets you into heaven. And that is a trust in God - that you believe the promises he has for those in Christ.
Mark 2:5 CSB17
“Seeing their faith, Jesus told the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.””

That being said, sanctification is also necessary for salvation. It is very much an orientation towards the Spirit which directs to Christ.
Galatians 5:16–17 CSB17
“I say, then, walk by the Spirit and you will certainly not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you don’t do what you want.”
Galatians 5:24 CSB17
“Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”

If we have the Spirit, we have life. If we do not have the Spirit we do not have life.
Romans 8:3–5 CSB17
“For what the law could not do since it was weakened by the flesh, God did. He condemned sin in the flesh by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh as a sin offering, in order that the law’s requirement would be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit have their minds set on the things of the Spirit.”

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To get faith and repentance to be or mean the same thing. You would have to redefine faith or redefine repentance.

Faith used in The Bible is the same type of faith used by people in everyday life. An example a person calls me up and says tomorrow, i am going to pick you up and take you out to eat and pay for your meal. Now if i believe that, i have exercised faith in that persons promise statement. That is the same way a person receives Eternal Life, God has promised through Bible verses, that anyone who trust in The Messiah receives Eternal Life. So if a person trust in The Messiah they have exercised faith in God's promised by trusting in The Messiah.

The only difference from the person promise and God's promise, is that the person could lie and not actually pick me up and take me out to eat. But God can not lie so His promise, is a true fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Matt 3:8 what comes before that verse 8? Yes that is who Christ was talking to. You took it out of context. Christ never said it to the Church not to one Christian since there were none. At that moment up to when Christ died on the Cross all were under living by the law.

Want to get to heaven? John 3:16-17. That's it. I have no clue how you got what said from the thief saying we should be here He should not. Then saying "remember me when you come into your kingdom". I can't read more into that or for me I would be lying. Seems Joel 2:32.

Yet the real question is "Repentance is God's Salvation" <---where did you get this? I can't find it in any translation. It would seem by what you said "works" seem to prove your saved. Repent is nothing more then doing a 180, turning over a new leaf, stop doing that sin, change of mind. Were saved and the good works we do are just a fruit. Which only comes from Christ. Any good thing I have ever done.. I never did it. Christ in me He did it. Works don't get me into heaven. John 3:16, Rom 10:9-10. Today we add a "but" and "only if".

In the end what is so wonderful awesome is we get no say in this. Oh we will answer for those we confused lead the wrong way. Its why you tell them show them whats written not what one personally believes. For I can be wrong. I show them John 3:16.. read the book of John so forth so on. Yet in the end they find it. Don't believe me. You search you pray you seek you find this for your self. To many times we make sure they hear us first our truth. Joel 2:32 its that easy

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is interesting how you seem to connecting sin to receiving Eternal Life. Jesus took away the sin of the world on the cross, sin is not a factor in whether a person believes or not. A person stepped in sin can believe in Jesus for Eternal Life. Paul did, nowhere is it stated Paul repented. He simply came to believe that Jesus was who He said He was from, the personal witness of Jesus on the Damascus road.

God has given one condition to receive His free gift of Eternal Life, He does not force eternal Life on everyone.

The obedience is to obey the condition, it is not a life long obedience that a person has to live.

If a person believes in The Messiah they have then obeyed God's condition. It is like when asked of Jesus what are the works they were to do, Jesus replied the work to do, is to believe in The one God sent.
I am connecting unbelief with sin, and belief/trust with obedience. If this is what the text says, then repentance is necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To get faith and repentance to be or mean the same thing. You would have to redefine faith or redefine repentance.

Faith used in The Bible is the same type of faith used by people in everyday life. An example a person calls me up and says tomorrow, i am going to pick you up and take you out to eat and pay for your meal. Now if i believe that, i have exercised faith in that persons promise statement. That is the same way a person receives Eternal Life, God has promised through Bible verses, that anyone who trust in The Messiah receives Eternal Life. So if a person trust in The Messiah they have exercised faith in God's promised by trusting in The Messiah.

The only difference from the person promise and God's promise, is that the person could lie and not actually pick me up and take me out to eat. But God can not lie so His promise, is a true fact.
What is "faith" to you? Is it not an act of volition? How do you commit to faith without a turning?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Repentance is necessary for salvation. It was Christ's central message:

Repentance was known in Judaism. That's why Christ preached on it. It was turning away from sin and towards Christ.
Correct! You cannot separate repentance from salvation.

Upvote 0