Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You don't, even in your heart, have to turn from sin and false beliefs?
This is a new one!

It is new, if so show me a verse in The Bible that states to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life a person must repent from sin. It is belief in Jesus that gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life, not belief and repentance.

That is true to believe in Jesus they must change their mind about who Jesus is. That is if they do not believe He Jesus is the resurrection and the life, The Messiah, The only begotten Son of God. They must move from unbelief to belief, but that is not Bibical repentance, which is turning (stopping) from sin or sins.

All sin has been taken away by Jesus, sin is not an issue in receiving Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,899.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
It is new, if so show me a verse in The Bible that states to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life a person must repent from sin. It is belief in Jesus that gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life, not belief and repentance.

That is true to believe in Jesus they must change their mind about who Jesus is. That is if they do not believe He Jesus is the resurrection and the life, The Messiah, The only begotten Son of God. They must move from unbelief to belief, but that is not Bibical repentance, which is turning (stopping) from sin or sins.

All sin has been taken away by Jesus, sin is not an issue in receiving Eternal Life.
From Revelation 2...
"Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate."

To me this sounds like people are required to repent, and have a choice about it.. and there will be consequences if they don't.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
From Revelation 2...
"Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate."

To me this sounds like people are required to repent, and have a choice about it.. and there will be consequences if they don't.

Revelation 2 is written to believers ( the different churches listed) the verse from the part you quote is written to the believers of the church in Ephesus.

If you want to see a book written to people who have not believed in Jesus, The Gospel of John is that book.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,899.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 2 is written to believers ( the different churches listed) the verse from the part you quote is written to the believers of the church in Ephesus.

If you want to see a book written to people who have not believed in Jesus, The Gospel of John is that book.
And those believers are being told to repent... and that they will lose their lampstand if they don't. What does removing their lampstand mean?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Repentance means change. In our case a change of attitude from focusing on self to doing the will of God instead thus focusing on others. That simple change if universal would alleviate every known wrong in this world. God has been telling us to put His will ahead of our own since the Garden but few listen and many claiming to represent Him, make up their own rules to circumvent this stipulation. The institutionalized and incorporated church even rejected the will of God to rejoin the opposing way of man in the time of Constantine when it buddied up with the Roman Empire. This was a totally anti-will of God move that most seem to ignore to this day, so no wonder man wants to continue to make it about self including within Christianity.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
* What is repentance?
* Do you have to keep repenting if you slip up and commit more sin?
* If you fail to continue to repent.. is your salvation invalidated?
Repentance is turning, that mighty change of heart and mind about Jesus.
Sin does not mean you have changed your mind about Jesus.
If you forsake a change of mind about Jesus, your mind was never really changed in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
* What is repentance?

The Greek word used in the New Testament that is consistently translated as "repentance" is metanoia. A super-literal translation of that word would be "over-mind". More accurately it is a change of mind, a change in thinking.

St. Paul wrote, "Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is near, repent and believe the good news."

There is a story concerning the Jewish historian Josephus, when he came across a Zealot (those who believed in using violence to overthrow Roman rule and bring peace to the Jewish people), Josephus told the young Zealot, "repent and follow me". What Josephus meant by this was "change how you think and do things my way".

In Hebrew there is the word teshuvah, again translated often into English as "repent"/"repentance", it literally means to return, or to turn around. That is one having strayed away by their sin, turns around and returns back from whence they came.

These ideas feature strongly in the Christian understanding of repentance: That repentance involves a recognition that we have erred, we have strayed--i.e. we have sinned--and that God wills that we be brought into, brought back into a state of reconciliation with Himself.

That this repentance, this change in our thinking means that we as sinners have fallen short, fallen astray, are not doing as we ought, failing to do what we should not; and that we confess this to God believing in His mercy by which He forgives us.

St. John in his first epistle writes, "If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

This makes repentance not a singular act, but rather a constant call to be recognize our waywardness, our failure to abide by God's will, and our need of mercy. This repentance draws us to confession of our sin, and to look to Christ to hold us, keep us, and save us.

* Do you have to keep repenting if you slip up and commit more sin?

It would be more accurate to say that repentance is a continual thing. It's not so much we repent, repent again, and then repent some more every time we screw up--we are always screwing up, sin is always present in what we do. So we are always called to repentance--to recognize our waywardness, our sin, and therefore to come humbly before God in confession--because God is always merciful, and His forgiveness is always present for us.

* If you fail to continue to repent.. is your salvation invalidated?

I would put it this way: Let's say you have a very good friend. Say you find yourself gossiping about that friend behind their back, or you start listening to people telling you rumors or gossips about that friend. And in various other ways, you start to betray the trust between your friend and yourself. Now, with each act of betrayal, you have the opportunity to go to your friend, talk about it, and because your friend is a good friend they will forgive you and keep loving you. But if you never talk it out with your friend, bit by bit you might find yourself becoming estranged from them, you spend less time with them, you start to have your doubts about them. Each little bit of betrayal, bit by bit, you are growing further from your friend. At what point have you killed the friendship from your end (not theirs, they still love you, and freely forgive you) and you start to act as though they aren't your friend at all?

Nobody "loses" their salvation because they mess up. But if we walk away from God, if we abandon Christ, and go and do things our way and refuse repentance, refuse to put our faith in God's mercy and love we make our way away from Him. That's the literal meaning of apostasy, from Greek apostasia, abandonment. To abandon, to leave, Christ, to leave our faith behind, to walk away and abandon God--that's apostasy.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums