• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Reparations: Let's have a serious talk.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ), Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    To anyone who supports the idea of giving reparations to African Americans:

1. How much are owed to African Americans?
    2. How should the money be divided? For example, I am actually 1/8 black. My great grandfather was black Puerto Rican whos ancestors were slaves on a sugarcane plantation. Do I deserve any money?
    3. What about African Americans who immigrated to the United States legally after the abolishment of slavery?
    4. If reparations are given, would there no longer be anymore need for Affirmative Action?
    5. If reparations are paid using American tax dollars, how does the United States ensure that only white people pay the taxes that go towards reparations? Are white people, regardless of their income, going to pay more in taxes to accommodate reparations? Is the U.S. going to create a race based progressive tax system?
    6. In regards to reparations to Native Americans, the same questions apply.

To those who support the idea of paying Reparations to African Americans, these are very important questions that ought to be answered. I think the idea sounds good on paper. However, until there are logical and rational answers to these questions, I don't see how it is practical, much less possible. Furthermore, if you do not think that reparations are feasible, why are so many Democrat Candidates making this a campaign promise knowing that it is impossible to keep. To be honest, I sounds more like the Democrats trying to buy the black vote with false promises so they can blame Republicans when it fails to pass in Congress. But I am interested in you thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member

+4,463
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    If reparations are paid should the cost of the Civil War, whose root cause was slavery, be deducted from the reparations?
    Should ancestors of Union soldiers receive payment for the deaths and wounds suffered during the war?
    Should the native Africans who captured people and sold them to slavers be somehow forced to pay their 'fair share' of reparations?
    The questions can go on and on and more and more people will want a slice of the pie...….

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member

+1,640
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I don’t have the answers and cannot speak for others on this subject. It isn’t a topic that has been raised within my family. Their perspective has always been God-centered and focused on building upon the progress of previous generations. That is our approach to ensuring the betterment for those to come.

My personal conviction is wholly founded on financial independence and the cultivation of diverse income streams through self-employment. Reparations have never factored in that picture.

I am uncertain of their true intentions and give little attention to politics. It is my belief that financial autonomy is best derived by ones hands. Its replication and the absence of government involvement and half truths absolve future dependency and credit for ones gains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+2,954
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Interested to see if anyone in favour of repatriations lives on this board and can give a cogent explanation of how they would be enacted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,488
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    So what about the first nations?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,758
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well, the whole reparation thing is a political stunt to win back black voters after seeing a wave of them turn sides (they are finally getting the picture that Democrat party is actually the racist ones using them for political gain).

I believe it will not improve the livelihood of the black community, just as it didn't for the North American Indians and the Australian Aboriginals.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    By "first nations" are you referring to Native Americans?

8. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,488
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Yeah, before addressing the white people and the slaves they brought here, the original inhabitants may need some fair consideration.

9. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    All good questions that I could add to the OP.

10. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thank you. I will add that to the OP.

11. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+1,054
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    How’s about this:
    “No taxes for 125 years!”
    None.
    No local income (or property) tax, no tax of any kind on business transactions ((with HEAVY penalties, for people paying a black person to “front” to avoid taxes*)), no state sales taxes, no corporate taxes, no federal taxes, though the EITC could still be claimed.

No excise taxes, (so that things like car tires end up being cheaper); no gas taxes, (Federal, state or local); free postage; no transportations costs at all, (show up at the airport, select a flight and get first class accommodations [costs for Real-ID® and/or passport waived], free alcoholic beverages, including champagne)

*this will be a problem, regardless, but say the tax-avoider would pay double taxes on whatever the fraud was foisted, for a set time and the person who fronted has to pay regular taxes for a set amount of time. It’ll be a civil law.

12. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    And how would this "race based" taxation plan be implemented? Should the government issue "black cards"? What about mixed races? Would I get a 12.5% tax discount because my maternal great grandfather was black?

13. Tanj

+2,954
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Question 1: The thread was doing fine without a dose of partisan hyperbole, what possessed you to inject some?
    Question 2: Repatriations have never been paid to Australian Aboriginals, so what the heck are you talking about?

14. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+1,054
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Oh, that’s easy!
    One-drop rule - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's interesting. So I am black according to the "one-drop rule"? Would this apply to Native American ancestry as well?

16. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+9,035
    Other Religion
    I support the idea of reparations but I’m highly skeptical of cash payouts as the mechanism. I suspect they’d be largely ineffective and that they’ll just further entrench the resentment against the idea of reparations.

I’d much rather see it skew towards addressing poverty, and then target it at areas with higher black populations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Tanj

+2,954
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    If it's not a cash payout, what is it? What are you targeting in your target areas? Also, how do you deal with poor black people unlucky enough to live outside your target area?

18. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But affirmative action was supposed to do that already. Are you suggesting that it hasn't worked enough?

19. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

+2,604
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Apparently affirmative action was a failure so more affirmative action is required?

20. cow451

cow451 Individual-2 Supporter

+11,185
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    The first shall be last.....