• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Removing the laws of God- what does it really mean?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by SabbathBlessings, Feb 27, 2021.

1. SabbathBlessings

SabbathBlessings Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Actually they are not. God did not write the law of Moses, Moses did, given by God. God both spoke and wrote God’s laws. This is the only scripture in the entire Bible written by the hand of God and spoken by Him found in Exodus 20. They are different, were placed in different areas of the Ark. Some laws ended at the cross, God’s laws will never end. That said, I think its more interesting to understand the sanctification process and get back to your other questions....?

2. Leaf473

Leaf473 Well-Known Member

+522
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, I agree that the Sabbath rest is not from physical work but rather it is spiritual rest.

I agree that the ten commandments relate to God and neighbor. I don't see anything stated in them about not being proud.

And yes, we agree that God gives the spirit, and I bet we agree that where the spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty.

3. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,783
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    And it was. . .

In addition to the stone tablets being testimony to the covenant conditions: to be their God was conditioned on obedience to the Ten Commandments (Exodus 19:5; Jeremiah 11:4-5, 7:23;
    Lev 26:3 w/12; Hos 1:8-9),

the stone tablets in the Ark of the Testimony (Exodus 25:21) were also testimony to their sin in breaking the commandments (Deuteronomy 31:26).

There were other testimonies to sin in the Ark (Hebrews 9:4):
    jar of manna - testimony to their grumbling (Ex 16:2-4, 33) and
    Aaron's staff - testimony to Korah's rebellion against the priesthood (Nu 16:1-3, 17:10).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. Leaf473

+522
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi imge,

I believe you've talked several times about this passage,
    "If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
    From doing your pleasure on My holy day..."

In your view, what day or days are appropriate for a Christian to focus on their own pleasure?

5. Nathan@work

[email protected] Always ready :)

+353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    By all means, we should discuss sanctification. :)

But we must understand that God Himself says that He wrote all the law. What we often overlook, due to translation, is that written on the “tablets” were actually “ten words”.

Those “ten words” were the overview of His law. To put it into terms we can understand, the ten words were like ‘chapters’ and the law was an detail description of those ‘ten words’.

Exodus 24:12 (ESV) The LORD said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and wait there, that I may give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction.”

He wrote them all. For their instruction. All of them. All carried with the Ark. All inseparable from each other.

6. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    The Sabbath is a commandment and says to keep the Sabbath day holy. Exodus 20:8 It’s literal and spiritual. Just like thou shalt not lie, that is literal, thous shalt not murder, adultry, literal, but also starts in our hearts. Sabbath is a day of communion with God. You do not receive spiritual rest by breaking the Sabbath commandment.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  7. Nathan@work

+353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The condition was not only based on the tablets, it was on the entire law.

Deuteronomy 4:1-2 (ESV) “And now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the rules that I am teaching you, and do them, that you may live, and go in and take possession of the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you. You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God that I command you.

8. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    God tells us to do all our work in six days. The seventh day we are told to keep Holy. Exodus 20:8-11. I think God wants us to be productive and doing things for our own pleasure as long as they are not sinful should be completed from days 1-6. God’s day is Holy and we are told to hallow His Sabbath day. Ezekiel 20:20

9. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I’m not denying God gave instruction to Moses on the other laws, but God’s laws are different, do you not think so? God made a point by writing them with His own hand on stone set apart differently than all other laws, so we know they are different. Like you said previously, everything God does is for a reason. I agree with that.

10. Leaf473

+522
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, all of God's commandments are related, aren't they?

For example, we know that if a person sits on a chair that a menstruating woman has sat on that he becomes unclean in God's eyes. Since we love God, we wouldn't want to do anything that would be displeasing to him.

So why aren't Christians today careful about their furniture? Myself, I know that it is not about the letter of the law, it is the spirit of the law that we keep.

The letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

Do I want to remove the Sabbath? Absolutely not!
    I want to keep the spirit of that commandment, and all the rest!

11. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,783
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I was referring to:

Dt 4:12-13 - "Then LORD spoke to you out of the fire. You heard the sound of words but saw no form; there was only a voice. He declared to you his covenant, the Ten Commandments, which he commanded you to follow and then wrote them on two stone tablets," which were kept in the
    Ark of the Covenant (Numbers 10:33, 14:44; Dt 10:8, 31:9, 26; Josh 3:6, 8, 11, 14, 4:7, 9, 18, 6:6, 8, 8:33; Jdg 20:27; 1Sa 4:3, 4, 5; 1Kgs 3:15 etc.).

12. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,783
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Because those laws are abolished?---(Eph 2:15)

13. Nathan@work

+353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This is going to sound too simplistic, but the tablets were simply a succinct version of the book. If God had written His whole law on tablets, it would not have fit inside the Ark.

An example of this is what Jesus said when asked about the greatest commandment.

14. Nathan@work

+353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Right, but the covenant was based on the entire law.

Deuteronomy 5

Their obedience was to be on all the law, which is contained in the ‘ten words’.

15. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Honestly, I think that undermines God. He could have easily made a larger Ark or placed all the laws inside the Ark, or not wrote with His own finger the 10. That’s not what happened. His laws are eternal. Each one applies today. He set His laws aside by design so we would know they are different.

16. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    God wants us to also keep the letter. His laws are literal and spiritual and when you put your own interpretation on something that God gave a direct command I would be careful of that. We could use that excuse for any of God’s commandments I am going to cheat on my wife, but in my mind I am faithful. Which commandment do you find the most difficult to keep?

17. Nathan@work

+353
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Not really. He could have instructed a bigger Ark built, but He didn’t.

The tablets do not contain anything more, or less, than the book. The book gives detail to the tablets.

You cannot elevate one above another. They all work in conjunction.

Just the same as when Jesus stated the two that He did. It did not take away from the ten, nor the rest.

18. SabbathBlessings

+2,095
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Sorry, you stopped making sense. You say in one breath God does everything for a reason, but than when He choose to write the only scripture in the entire Bible written by His own finger, God had no reason other than the other laws that were ceremonial and ended, wouldn’t fit in the Ark with the law that He wrote. We are not going to agree on this point.

19. pasifika

pasifika Well-Known Member

+398
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Hello imge, how about the two greatest commandments Jesus was referred to in Matthew 22...which is Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul AND Love your neighbor as yourself...these two were written in the book of the law outside the Ark Not inside..

20. Leaf473

+522
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Do you believe that one the scripture says,

"And the LORD called unto Moses, and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying, 2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them..."

that the instructions that follow were written by Moses?

I agree that Moses wrote them down, but it looks to me like they came from the mind of God, and are based on his character.

Using today's English, I think we would say that God wrote them in the sense that he is the author, and Moses wrote them down.