Removing the laws of God- what does it really mean?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, "...It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but
by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4

John 14-15. It includes The Spirit of truth will teach/guide us continually, the Father being glorified, He is the vine while we are the branches,
abiding in His love IF we obey His Word, joy,
calling us friends IF we follow His Word,
we love Him well IF we obey His commandments and
love others as ourselves following His Word, etc

Furthermore "Jesus answered and said unto him,
If a man love me,
he will keep my words: and
my Father will love him, and
we will come unto him, and
make our abode with him.
"
John 14:23

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Best to stop listening to any sermons. They wear special clothes, sometimes have a person devoted to special lighting, and they end a sermon with appropriate music all designed to keep you from thinking and reading for yourself.

I often used to listen to sermons from the control booth and chatted with the lighting and sound control guy. I was dating his sister.

Instead, I attended Sunday class where thought and dialogue was encouraged.
I had a similar thought.

I once attended a Messianic synagogue where the sermon talk was much more interactive, people would ask questions or make comments and the speaker would respond.

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had a similar thought.

I once attended a Messianic synagogue where the sermon talk was much more interactive, people would ask questions or make comments and the speaker would respond.
Cool.

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You will not find God in God’s Words? I would rather find God based on Truth from His Words than based on mans interpretation of scriptures. Maybe you should watch the story of my pastor, Doug Batchelor “The Richest Caveman.” He was a druggie, not raised with any religion, mother was an actress, father a very wealthy man. Doug was kicked out of school, stealing from his neighbors and ended up living in a cave. In the cave was a Bible. He started reading it which led Him directly to God and changed His life. So I wholeheartedly disagree.

No, don't misunderstand me. You will read about God, and He will use the Bible to speak to you. Hopefully, when this happens, a person does not reject the gift of Faith that is being offered.

After Faith comes, then we are indwelt by the Spirit. A person of Faith has God living in them! How would it be that they would keep on seeking Him in words?

I understand how it happens sadly. The agony that Jesus felt is unimaginable when the very people who religiously and constantly sought after God - in the Scriptures - looked at Jesus with contempt. The Son of God standing in front of them, and they would rather continue to 'seek' for Him elsewhere.

Think about it. For hundreds of years, there was no "Bible". Yet countless people came to know Christ as the promised Messiah. Some did have the Hebrew Scriptures, but not all. They are good for teaching, reproof, correction, and training - but you are not going to find where they are said to 'contain' God.

If you are looking for God - look for Him working in the life of mankind. He is not some cosmic entity that hides Himself, waiting for only the worthy ones to find Him. Those are man made gods.

[Heb 1:1-2 ESV] 1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, don't misunderstand me. You will read about God, and He will use the Bible to speak to you. Hopefully, when this happens, a person does not reject the gift of Faith that is being offered.

After Faith comes, then we are indwelt by the Spirit. A person of Faith has God living in them! How would it be that they would keep on seeking Him in words?

I understand how it happens sadly. The agony that Jesus felt is unimaginable when the very people who religiously and constantly sought after God - in the Scriptures - looked at Jesus with contempt. The Son of God standing in front of them, and they would rather continue to 'seek' for Him elsewhere.

Think about it. For hundreds of years, there was no "Bible". Yet countless people came to know Christ as the promised Messiah. Some did have the Hebrew Scriptures, but not all. They are good for teaching, reproof, correction, and training - but you are not going to find where they are said to 'contain' God.

If you are looking for God - look for Him working in the life of mankind. He is not some cosmic entity that hides Himself, waiting for only the worthy ones to find Him. Those are man made gods.

[Heb 1:1-2 ESV] 1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

I don't need to look for God I found Him. He has provided the Holy Spirit when I seek for His Truth. Yes, during the dark ages when Bibles were not allowed, God spoke to people through His Spirit. What a blessing it is that we have God's Word, the Holy Bible and we should be reading it earnestly to seek Him and pray for His Holy Spirit to guide us on His Truth. When we draw near to God He draws near to us James 4:7-8 We should seek God through His Word John 8:31-36

God will wink at people sins, if they did not know they were sinning Acts 17:30,31 but once we learn the Truth and turn away from it, that is a different story. If we are knowingly breaking God's commandments when God asks us not to it is because we are still a slave to our sins and need to seek Jesus in repentance and confession of sins 1 John 1:9

I appreciate the comments and God bless you in seeking His Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi imge, lots of great points in your post!

I don't see myself as removing any of God's laws.

We know that God's laws are fulfilled by loving our neighbor as ourselves.

So if my brother dies without leaving any sons, do I marry his wife and have sex with her, in addition to the wife that I already have, so as to raise up sons in his name?
No, but I do love his widow as I love myself.

Hi Leaf,

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you are not removing God's laws because it teaches us how to love God (Jesus greatest commandment- love God with all your heart and seek Him first). The first 4 commandments are how we are to show God our love. The last 6 commandments summarizes Jesus second greatest commandment on how we are love and treat each other. We learn through the second covenant Gods commandments are written in our hearts and we obey (mind) because of our love for God and each other.

God bless

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm feel as if we agree, yet I'm not entirely sure; so please tell me what you think of the following:

I believe that God's laws are eternal, all of them, not just the ten commandments: for example, I think circumcision remains a token of the covenant with Abraham, now transferred to Christ who circumcises our hearts, etc.

I see that you have taken a ceremonial law and applied its spiritual component (type vs antitype) under the New Covenant so for example in Rom 2 at the end of the chapter we have the same spiritual application that you point to as "ongoing" for the case of circumcision

Rom 2: 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a violator of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from people, but from God.

Notice that the "type" of literal circumcision as a ceremonial action only applied to males but the antitype applies to all -- and applied in the OT to all just as in the NT to all.

I think each covenant has been absorbed by the latter as a natural process of growth seems to absorb the former parts, but has in-fact grown from them; so too do I think God's covenants were all pointing to Christ's final covenant, the redemption of men by grace through faith.

I agree that the outward types were all revealing something about the plan of salvation (their antitype in the Gospel).

I also think that the Old Covenant in the ultimate 2 Cor 3 sense - is a type of being lost under the Law such that all who are lost (both OT and NT) are lost under the Old Covenant contract of "obey and live" like we see in Gal 3.

Gal 3: 10 For all who are of works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all the things written in the book of the Law, to do them.” 11 Now, that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “the righteous one will live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “The person who performs them will live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.

2 Cor 3: 14 But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ

(The old covenant is not removed in Christ - the veil is lifted and removed in Christ) to see that the contract/agreement under the Old Covenant of "obey and live" still condemns all mankind as doomed to hell see Rom 3:19-20, while the Jer 31:31-33 New Covenant provides the Gospel of salvation both OT and NT.

--I simply believe that God's laws have been transferred to Christ, all of them, and that Christ is now the new Administrator of God's laws, like Levi once was.

"The main point" according to Heb 8:1-5 is that Christ is our High Priest in heaven and the Heb 7 priesthood changed - to Christ. The type met antitype.

But Christ has always been "the lamb slain from the foundation of the world" and the "one Gospel" of Gal 1:6-9 has always been the only way of salvation in OT and in NT, and it was "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8.

The blood of bulls and goats never forgave even one single sin Heb 10:3-4 - it was always the blood of Christ. So that in Matt 17 when Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory - before the cross -- it is still just the one Gospel of "Saved by grace through faith".

So I fully agree that the "type" being the literal physical Levitical priesthood did in fact transfer to the antitype of Christ at His ascension into heaven - as Hebrews 7 points out and as you noted. But the basic functioning principle of the "one Gospel" never changed. No human being on earth ever had "power" to forgive sin. The Levites were the visual aid - the chalk board - pointing to the reality which was Christ and also in shadow pointing to the future work of Christ as our High Priest in Heb 8 literally in heaven interceding for us as High Priest.

In Rom 4 Paul points out that time is a funny thing as God sees it - calling those things that are not as though they were. Saying to Abraham a Father of many nations have I made you -- while as yet Abraham had no nations ... not even the son of the promise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. No text says "The Sabbath was fulfilled in Christ"
2. No text says "the Sabbath was a shadow of things to come"
Hebrews is addressed to NT Hebrews who, because of persecution by the Jews and disinheritance by their families,
were considering a return to Judaism. It contains five spiritual warnings about the drastic spiritual consequences
of such a decision, of which the third, Heb 6:4-6, is the most dreadful, and of which Heb 4:1-13 is the second,
reminding them of the consequences of the 40 years in the dessert because of their failure to enter Canaan, the land of promised rest
(Dt 12:9-10, 25:19; Josh 1:13, 11:23, 21:44, 22:4, 23:1), and warning them not to fail to enter into God's rest again.

Heb 4 is about the (spiritual) salvation rest of the NT (4:1-3, 6-7, 9-10), which is God's own rest (4:10)
in which they are invited to share (4:11), prefigured, foreshadowed in Canaan, the OT (physical) rest after 40 years
of wandering in the wilderness, promised by God but only partially and temporarily fulfilled in Canaan (Heb 4:8),
because God spoke of another day, "Today" in Ps 95:7-8 (4:7) of Sabbath-rest for the people of God (4:9), in the NT (4:11).
3. Heb 4:9 9 Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

"Remains" from when ?
From the incomplete rest of Canaan into which Joshua led them (Heb 4:8).
Heb 4:9 has it remaining as it was at the time of David.
Remaining, as in "still available," for the people of God (Heb 4:9) to make every effort to enter (Heb 4:11).

What is the nature of this rest, and what is it a rest from?

The nature of the rest is spiritual, it is rest in Christ.
It is rest from our own work to save, and rest in Christ's work which saved us.

Christ is the fulfillment of the Sabbath, set apart (sanctified) and given for rest (Ex 23:3; Dt 5:14),
which is why we find the NT Christians assembling on the day of Christ's resurrection, the Lord's Day (Ac 20:7; 1Co 16:2; Rev 1:10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With the growing number of churches that are teaching God’s laws are a thing of the past citing arguments like “we are not under the law we are under grace” .......

--When Paul used the terms "law" and "grace" he was showing a distinction between the OT covenant he called "law" and the NT covenant he called "grace" (see also John 1:17). Therefore we today are not under the OT law of Moses but are under Christ's NT law as Paul said he was, (1 Corinthians 9:21). Isaiah prophecied of the NT covenant (Isa 2:2-3) "And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem." Jeremiah said this new covenant would be written "in their hearts"; Jeremiah 31:31-33. This new covenant would be law, a rule of instructions, directions that would reside in the hearts of Christians.

---Romans 4:15 Paul says if there were no law there would be no sin. The fact Christians and non-Christians alike sin prove both are under law to Christ as was Paul. It takes "the law of the Spirit" to free one from sin and death (Romans 8:2).

---Romans 6:1-2 because Christians are saved by grace is not a license for Christians to sin. Christians are those who have died to sin. Therefore law and grace are NOT anatgonistic to each other but go together. Obedience to the laws of the NT covenant is necessary to keep the Christian from sinning thereby prevent hom from "serving sin unto death" Romans 6:16. Grace is necessary for the Christians obedience will not be flawlessly perfect.

----2 Peter 2:18-19 "For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage."
Apostates (false teachers) were using great enticing words as bait to allure new Christian converts to the idea of them having "liberty", that is, they were falsely teaching them they have liberty to do as they please for they were not bound by any law, not bound by authority of the Apostles or Christ's NT law. One commentator points out how contemporary this false teaching of 'liberty' is whereby various groups today do not want to follow law for they desire to be seen as "non-judgmental".
Yet ironically these false teachers who were teaching "liberty" were making themselves slaves to sin "they themselves are the servants of corruption". Peter points out that one is a slave to whatever masters them. Peter reiterates Paul's point in Romans 6:16 that we are all slaves of one of two master, either we are serving 'sin unto death' or 'obedience unto righteousness'. Not humbly following Christ's NT law is not liberty but rather it is putting one in bondage of serving sin unto death. "So here he (Peter) shows that precept and love, charity and chastity, law and gospel are not combatants but correlatives." (Green)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Leaf,

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you are not removing God's laws because it teaches us how to love God (Jesus greatest commandment- love God with all your heart and seek Him first). The first 4 commandments are how we are to show God our love. The last 6 commandments summarizes Jesus second greatest commandment on how we are love and treat each other. We learn through the second covenant Gods commandments are written in our hearts and we obey (mind) because of our love for God and each other.

God bless
Well, I guess this is where we see things differently.

I think the ten commandments were to show the Israelites in the wilderness how to love God and love each other.
But they are just a starting point.

The Israelites were told that they could work for themselves six days a week, it was just the seventh that was holy to God.

But as Christians, we know that we work for God everyday. This is why we can understand that some people will regard one day above another, while others will regard all days alike.

I'm one of the
all days are alike people,
because I view all days as holy to God.

God bless you too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't need to look for God I found Him. He has provided the Holy Spirit when I seek for His Truth. Yes, during the dark ages when Bibles were not allowed, God spoke to people through His Spirit. What a blessing it is that we have God's Word, the Holy Bible and we should be reading it earnestly to seek Him and pray for His Holy Spirit to guide us on His Truth. When we draw near to God He draws near to us James 4:7-8 We should seek God through His Word John 8:31-36

God will wink at people sins, if they did not know they were sinning Acts 17:30,31 but once we learn the Truth and turn away from it, that is a different story. If we are knowingly breaking God's commandments when God asks us not to it is because we are still a slave to our sins and need to seek Jesus in repentance and confession of sins 1 John 1:9

I appreciate the comments and God bless you in seeking His Word.

That is good to hear. :)

There is a difference between abiding(remaining) in Him, versus seeking Him. You do not have to seek for something that you have already found, but you can remain in something only after you found it. :)

Oftentimes people use different words to mean different things to them, so maybe that is what you are doing?

The times of God's "winking" have passed. They are no more. He now commands that people repent. There are no more excuses for mankind.

A child of God can break His commandments. Not something we should want to do, but because we are in this body of flesh we constantly struggle.

There are some religions/denominations out there that teach a 'true' child of God will slowly but surely find it easier(in a way) to 'obey' the commandments. While it sounds good on the surface, it is deceiving.

Our born-again spirit 'wars' against our flesh. There is a literal war going on as long as we are breathing. When you find that you are no longer battling against something, it means something has decided to stop fighting. I assure you.....as long as we are in our earthly flesh it will not stop fighting to overtake our born-again spirit.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not a game on keeping how many, but a state of being that seeks to please God.
I agree yet some do not understand that fact . Those who choose the law under the Old Covenant must be reminded they are under all its commands. We know that can not be accomplished. Those who choose to be under the New Covenant are free from bondage of the law through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Thanks for engaging. Be blessed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus amplified the law to bury us under it. not our failed attempts at obeying it.
Actually, that's not true. Jesus came to give us the love that fulfills the law, as the ten commandments are based on love which is why they can be summed up by the greatest commandments. The New Testament as well as the ancient churches continued to support the moral law as defined by the ten commandments, being, as they are anyway, holy, righteous, good, and spiritual as Paul tells us in Rom 7.
And, as Paul stated, "love is the fulfillment of the law," not our failed attempts at obeying it. This is the love that comes from bearing the fruit of the Spirit God is producing in us. When we are loving others, we are not sinning with or against them.
That's true. Man's righteousness, the "righteousness of God" that man was made for, is defined by love. The New Covenant does not relieve us of the obligation to be righteous, as if God suddenly no longer cares about injustice/sin, but finally provides the authentic means to fulfill that obligation, the right way. God, alone, can justify man IOW.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, I guess this is where we see things differently.

I think the ten commandments were to show the Israelites in the wilderness how to love God and love each other.
But they are just a starting point.

The Israelites were told that they could work for themselves six days a week, it was just the seventh that was holy to God.

But as Christians, we know that we work for God everyday. This is why we can understand that some people will regard one day above another, while others will regard all days alike.

I'm one of the
all days are alike people,
because I view all days as holy to God.

God bless you too!

So you don't think the 10 commandments apply today? So it's okay to worship other gods, covet, lie, murder, and so forth.....? What about God telling us He changes not, so did He mean to say He really changes?

There are two scriptures I think you should consider when one is trying to alter the Word of God.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. 6 Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

Psalms 111
7:The works of His hands are verity and justice;
All His precepts are sure.
8 They stand fast forever and ever,
And are done in truth and uprightness.
9 He has sent redemption to His people;
He has commanded His covenant forever:
Holy and awesome is His name.

This means Gods laws can not be changed. There are no contradictions in the Bible, just grave misunderstandings.

God did not tell us every day is Holy. God specifically wrote and spoke these words:

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

God said His Sabbath is a perpetual covenant, meaning it can not be changed. Jesus kept the Sabbath (read the NT) and clearly said He did not come to do His will but the will of His Father and that He kept all of His fathers commandments and asked us to do the same. John 15:10

God said He changes not, which is why we will worship Him in Heaven on the seventh day Sabbath Isaiah 66:23 like He asked us to do now as a sign that we are His people Ezekiel 20:20.

It seems like some people spend more of their time trying to discredit clear, precise scripture, than they are trying to find the Biblical scripture to support why they worship on the day that most worship.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one person ever could or was ever supposed to keep all "613"
No one person ever could or was ever supposed to keep all "613"
The Jews were under a Theocracy. The laws pertained to them as a nation. The nation of Israel was under the law aka Torah. The take away .... this Theocracy no longer exists as the law was fulfilled. He made a new Covenant with all who follow Him, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is good to hear. :)

There is a difference between abiding(remaining) in Him, versus seeking Him. You do not have to seek for something that you have already found, but you can remain in something only after you found it. :)

Oftentimes people use different words to mean different things to them, so maybe that is what you are doing?

The times of God's "winking" have passed. They are no more. He now commands that people repent. There are no more excuses for mankind.

A child of God can break His commandments. Not something we should want to do, but because we are in this body of flesh we constantly struggle.

There are some religions/denominations out there that teach a 'true' child of God will slowly but surely find it easier(in a way) to 'obey' the commandments. While it sounds good on the surface, it is deceiving.

Our born-again spirit 'wars' against our flesh. There is a literal war going on as long as we are breathing. When you find that you are no longer battling against something, it means something has decided to stop fighting. I assure you.....as long as we are in our earthly flesh it will not stop fighting to overtake our born-again spirit.

I agree "seeking God" and "remaining with God" are two distinct things. Jesus said John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

You previously advocated finding God outside His Word, I disagree. Without understanding the Bible and all that God expects from us its hard to remain with God, so I am having a hard time trying to understand the point you are trying to make and if you feel I am seeking Him the wrong way by reading the Bible and praying for His guidance.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews is addressed to NT Hebrews who, because of persecution by the Jews and disinheritance by their families,
were considering a return to Judaism. It contains five spiritual warnings about the drastic spiritual consequences

The entire discussion of Christ's High Priestly ministry in Heb 4,7,8,9,10 and the heavy amount of OT quotes where in Heb 3 when the OT is quoted the text says "The Holy Spirit says" is anything BUT a document rejecting the OT text.

In Heb 11 ALL of the giants of faith held up as examples for the NT saints - are from the OT.

This is not a text about deleting the Bible... it is about the fact that Christ is the center of both OT and NT texts.

Heb 4:1-2 "The Gospel was preached to us JUST AS IT WAS to THEM also"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ is the fulfillment of the Sabbath, set apart (sanctified) and given for rest (Ex 23:3; Dt 5:14),
which is why we find the NT Christians assembling on the day of Christ's resurrection, the Lord's Day (Ac 20:7; 1Co 16:2; Rev 1:10).

1. No text says " Christ is the fulfillment of the Sabbath " not even the ones you provide above.
2. No NT text says Christians assembled every week-day-1 not even the ones you provide above.
3. No NT text says to "assemble on the day of Christ's resurrection each week" not even the ones you provide above.
4. No NT text says "the day of Christ's resurrection is the Lord's day" not even the ones you provide above.

My guess is that you might also agree to these obvious facts since you never provide a text saying any of that.

And since you repeat the reference to Ac 20:7; 1Co 16:2; Rev 1:10
as if you never read this post

Hmmm let's read Lev 23 and see if they call them "sabbaths" just so there is no confusion...

Lev 23

2 “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘The Lord’s appointed times which you shall proclaim as holy convocations—My appointed times are these:

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the Sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings. (KJV)

26 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 27 “Also the tenth day of this seventh month shall be the Day of Atonement. It shall be a holy convocation for you; you shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire to the Lord. 28 And you shall do no work on that same day, for it is the Day of Atonement,.... 32 It shall be to you a sabbath of solemn rest, and you shall afflict your souls; on the ninth day of the month at evening, from evening to evening, you shall celebrate your sabbath.”

37 ‘These are the feasts of the Lord which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire to the Lord, a burnt offering and a grain offering, a sacrifice and drink offerings, everything on its day— 38 besides the Sabbaths of the Lord, besides your gifts, besides all your vows, and besides all your freewill offerings which you give to the Lord.

The weekly Sabbath is a memorial of creation week - events that had no sin and no animal sacrifice.

Ex 20:8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day.. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Gen 2:
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Testimony of Acts 18:4 supports the fact that "every Sabbath" they met for gospel preaching for both Jews and gentiles - those who were believers and those who had yet to believe.

Testimony of Isaiah 66:23 supports the fact that for all eternity after the cross "all mankind" would come before God and bow down in the New earth.

Acts 20:7 does not mention "do not take God's name in vain" and does not mention "love your neighbor as yourself" nor even "honor your father and mother"... it is not a text for deleting scripture. It only mentions that "one time" they were gathered in the evening of what they call in Acts 20:7 "week day 1" to break bread and have gospel preaching since the following day part of week-day-1 Paul was leaving. Nothing here about "ever week day 1 we bid farewell to Paul" or "every week day 1 we meet". No doubt they did meet once - on week-day-1 in Acts 20:7

1Co 16:2 does not say that they rested on week-day-1 only that each person saved up funds by himself at home - on what they were still calling "week-day-1". Nothing there is "week-day-1 is the Lord's day" or "week-day-1 is a weekly day for meeting" or "meet on each week-day-1" etc.

Rev 1:10 - does not tell us which day of the week is "The Lord's Day" all we have for that is "the Sabbath - The Holy Day of the Lord" Isaiah 58:13 - which is The Sabbath, and also Mark 2:28 "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath" -- no other text assigns a day to that term.

The Sabbath was not given to man for rest in Ge 2:1-3.

According to the Bible it was - and also according to scholars of almost every Christian denomination on planet Earth.

for example:

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism

to list a few.

Where we saw this -

Acts 20:7 does not mention "do not take God's name in vain" and does not mention "love your neighbor as yourself" nor even "honor your father and mother"... it is not a text for deleting scripture. It only mentions that "one time" they were gathered in the evening of what they call in Acts 20:7 "week day 1" to break bread and have gospel preaching since the following day part of week-day-1 Paul was leaving. Nothing here about "ever week day 1 we bid farewell to Paul" or "every week day 1 we meet". No doubt they did meet once - on week-day-1 in Acts 20:7

1Co 16:2 does not say that they rested on week-day-1 only that each person saved up funds by himself at home - on what they were still calling "week-day-1". Nothing there is "week-day-1 is the Lord's day" or "week-day-1 is a weekly day for meeting" or "meet on each week-day-1" etc.

Rev 1:10 - does not tell us which day of the week is "The Lord's Day" all we have for that is "the Sabbath - The Holy Day of the Lord" Isaiah 58:13 - which is The Sabbath, and also Mark 2:28 "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath" -- no other text assigns a day to that term.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Jews were under a Theocracy. The laws pertained to them as a nation. The nation of Israel was under the law aka Torah. The take away .... this Theocracy no longer exists as the law was fulfilled. He made a new Covenant with all who follow Him, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

The New Covenant Jer 31:31-34 was the "one Gospel" Gal 1:6-9 in the OT... and still is in the NT Heb 8:6-12

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree yet some do not understand that fact . Those who choose the law under the Old Covenant must be reminded they are under all its commands. We know that can not be accomplished. Those who choose to be under the New Covenant are free from bondage of the law through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Thanks for engaging. Be blessed.

The same TEN commandments that existed in Ex 20 are in the moral law of God written on the heart in Jer 31:31-34 under that New Covenant of the OT - unchanged in Heb 8:6-12.

That Law instill includes the Ten "where the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:1-2 is still the 5th commandment.

And scholars in almost every Christian denomination on planet earth admit to this Bible detail.

Upvote 0