WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I picked this section of the forums to post this as I figured that we in our forties remember Kmart when it was in its prime between the mid '70s to mid '90s (with our childhoods/teen years/young adulthood spanning that basic time frame, with some overlapping). Otherwise known (or what used to be known) as "the savings place", it seems to have been frozen in time, and started a process of rapid decline since the mid-2000s. I've been watching videos on Youtube lately about Kmart dying (along with other well-known companies), and expected to be completely extinct (no more in existence) by next year, and vloggers' commentaries on declining Kmarts in their own localities as they record virtual "tours" through these "ghost towns" of the retail world. I myself haven't been in a Kmart of any kind for I don't know how long (in fact, the one in my town closed down several years ago, and the space where it was is still vacant to this day), so what I viewed in these videos is quite shocking. There is a really somber and dead feeling as these vloggers point out how dated the general atmosphere is, yet I still can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for this store which has definitely seen better times, knowing that I (and many others) was there to witness it.

Here is a thread for us to share what we remember about Kmart and discuss our thoughts regarding its current condition in contrast with the past.

So, here you go! :grinning:

Reactions: CoolDude68

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Sorry, never heard of Kmart - is it some kind of American shop, similar to our Woolworths? They used to be bargain shops here in the UK throughout the 20th Century an I remember them well from my youth in the 70s and 80s. But now they're all gone.

• Informative
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, never heard of Kmart - is it some kind of American shop, similar to our Woolworths? They used to be bargain shops here in the UK throughout the 20th Century an I remember them well from my youth in the 70s and 80s. But now they're all gone.

I think you might be right; I think it's basically an American establishment, and I believe there have been locations in Canada and Australia, as well. Kmart was basically similar to what you'd see in Walmart and Target. As for Woolworth's, there used to be one years ago here in the States, but I think it might have been phased out, also (well, at least in my locality). I'll have to study up on that one sometime, when I get a chance.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think you might be right; I think it's basically an American establishment, and I believe there have been locations in Canada and Australia, as well. Kmart was basically similar to what you'd see in Walmart and Target. As for Woolworth's, there used to be one years ago here in the States, but I think it might have been phased out, also (well, at least in my locality). I'll have to study up on that one sometime, when I get a chance.

Yes, there were branches in Canada. I was born there and used to live there as a kid. Our Kmart just recently closed down at the beginning of the month. I don't really miss it because Walmart moved in about 10 years ago and I do all of my shopping there. The last thing I bought at Kmart was a safe like 3 years ago.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

I saw that video. I didn't know it actually started (though not the Kmart we know) in 1899 as a little five-and-dime market, but changed over and became Kmart in the 1960s.

Thanks for posting.

there are still about 600 stores

Blessings

Yes, I've heard that. In fact, I saw a recent video about one Pennsylvania location that is still doing well and has no plans of closing. In fact, I'm not so sure that Kmart will completely be gone, and may come down to a handful of existing stores which might stay in business for a few years. It's just not the same as before, and probably will never be the same again, as we know it.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When I was a kid, I regarded their toy selection as the worst of the worst. As an adult, after they went bankrupt, and after Sears bought them out, the quality began to improve significantly. Now, (I can't believe I'm saying this) I wish Target could be so good. They're all but gone, now, but I've still got one within driving distance. Despite their improvements in recent years, their business model simply cannot survive in this situation. They're definitely going to disappear for good, soon.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there were branches in Canada. I was born there and used to live there as a kid. Our Kmart just recently closed down at the beginning of the month. I don't really miss it because Walmart moved in about 10 years ago and I do all of my shopping there. The last thing I bought at Kmart was a safe like 3 years ago.

That's what I thought. And I am also inclined to believe that Kmart might be losing out the the success of Target and Walmart, which will probably stay around for a while (even as much as people "love to hate" the latter of the two). :D

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Also, anybody who is from another country that doesn't have Kmart, feel free to discuss similar chains in your area that you see on the decline (as well as your personal memories of such establishments), as I wish to include everyone on this discussion. :grinning:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Did they finally go out of business? Sears finally stop bleeding off money for that division?

Canada had Kmart here but they closed Canadian operations in 1998. Don't really have good or bad memories about Kmart either. It's a business, I bought things there but when they closed, I bought things elsewhere.

• Useful
Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember Kmart very well, yes. I live in the Midwest and they were all over the place. I haven't watched the video on the decline of Kmart but I do remember them. Now we have Walmart.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - Kmart seems to be going the same way of other similar stores in the past: Kmart's parent chain SS Kresge; Grants; and Goldblatt's.

And let us not forget Venture, Highland Appliance, Fretter Appliance, and Border's Books. The modern online economy is not easy on brick and mortar stores.

Speaking of Highland:
"Fifty watts per channel, Babycakes!"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Did they finally go out of business? Sears finally stop bleeding off money for that division?

Canada had Kmart here but they closed Canadian operations in 1998. Don't really have good or bad memories about Kmart either. It's a business, I bought things there but when they closed, I bought things elsewhere.

That's the way it is; and it is good to know that there are other alternatives when it comes to our grocery, household, automotive, yard, and other personal needs. That's why I go to either Target or Walmart.

No, Kmart is not out of business yet, as it's been pointed out that there are currently around 600 operating stores.

I remember Kmart very well, yes. I live in the Midwest and they were all over the place. I haven't watched the video on the decline of Kmart but I do remember them. Now we have Walmart.

Yep, and I don't think Walmart is going anywhere. It's because it's a convenient place to grab whatever we need at any given time, and Kmart served that purpose in its heyday. I guess you can say that Walmart picked up where Kmart is leaving off.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - Kmart seems to be going the same way of other similar stores in the past: Kmart's parent chain SS Kresge; Grants; and Goldblatt's.

And let us not forget Venture, Highland Appliance, Fretter Appliance, and Border's Books. The modern online economy is not easy on brick and mortar stores.

Yes, and I think it's because more people are shopping online. However, I personally don't like shopping online unless it's a product I absolutely can't find anywhere in stores, in which case you have to do what you have to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's what I thought. And I am also inclined to believe that Kmart might be losing out the the success of Target and Walmart, which will probably stay around for a while (even as much as people "love to hate" the latter of the two). :D

Our Walmart will never close now that our mayor has let Walmart come in finally. But yeah, that's probably what contributed to the death of Kmart is them having to compete with Walmart which was a much better store. We don't really have a Target so I don't know how good they are. How good are they?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think Walmart is going anywhere. It's because it's a convenient place to grab whatever we need at any given time, and Kmart served that purpose in its heyday. I guess you can say that Walmart picked up where Kmart is leaving off.
I hope Walmart does not make the same mistake Highland and Fretter did - by over expanding. But if they do and fold, Meijer's is prepared to fill in for them.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember K-Mart as a kid. We had a TG&Y across the street - either were good. They had a decent clothing line soon after I entered the workforce.

I live in another small town now, and we still have a K-mart. It was actually packed for Christmas shopping a couple of years ago. We have "grown" out here to have both a Wal-Mart and a Target in town (or rather in the space between two towns but plenty close enough to drive to) ... but K-Mart had the appeal of being able to get in and grab something and get out without being there at least 40 minutes between parking, walking way to wherever your item is, waiting in the checkout, etc.

I remember Woolworth's too but it closed long ago where I used to live. These stores were all basically comparable - offered all kinds of middle-quality general merchandise for pretty reasonable prices.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Our Walmart will never close now that our mayor has let Walmart come in finally. But yeah, that's probably what contributed to the death of Kmart is them having to compete with Walmart which was a much better store. We don't really have a Target so I don't know how good they are. How good are they?

Target is pretty good, actually. I'm happy with the ones in my area, anyhow. They seem like they care for customer needs, for the most part, and employees are there to help and deliver the "service with a smile" missing in so many stores. There is a regular Target (department store) in my town, and a few miles away in another city bigger than where I live is a Target Supercenter (which is a grocery store and department store combined).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Target is a slightly upscaled wal-mart. Not as wide a variety of items but you can still find pretty much almost anything there. Many of the items are slightly better quality, prices a little higher. The clothes seem to follow fashion better.

I used to LOVE Target in Texas about 20-25 years ago. They would put things on clearance at about 90% off as soon as the season ended. You could fill a cart with all kinds of stuff for $10 or so. I remember 10-cent gardening tools.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0