Rely on God, Not Self

vinc

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
✟1,161.00
Faith
Rely on God, Not Self

"Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow" (Isa. 50:11).

What a solemn warning to those who walk in darkness and yet who try to help themselves out into the light. They are represented as kindling a fire, and compassing themselves with sparks. What does this mean?

Why, it means that when we are in darkness the temptation is to find a way without trusting in the Lord and relying upon Him. Instead of letting Him help us out, we try to help ourselves out. We seek the light of nature, and get the advice of our friends. We try the conclusions of our reason, and might almost be tempted to accept a way of deliverance which would not be of God at all.

All these are fires of our own kindling; rushlights that will surely lead us onto the shoals. And God will let us walk in the light of those sparks, but the end will be sorrow.

Beloved, do not try to get out of a dark place, except, in God's time and in God's way. The time of trouble is meant to teach you lessons that you sorely need.

Premature deliverance may frustrate God's work of grace in your life. Just commit the whole situation to Him. Be willing to abide in darkness so long as you have His presence. Remember that it is better to walk in the dark with God than to walk alone in the light. --The Still Small Voice

Cease meddling with God's plans and will. You touch anything of His, and you mar the work. You may move the hands of a clock to suit you, but you do not change the time; so you may hurry the unfolding of God's will, but you harm and do not help the work. You can open a rosebud but you spoil the flower. Leave all to Him. Hands down. Thy will, not mine. --Stephen Merritt

HIS WAY

God bade me go when I would stay
('Twas cool within the wood);
I did not know the reason why.
I heard a boulder crashing by
Across the path where I stood.

He bade me stay when I would go;
"Thy will be done," I said.
They found one day at early dawn,
Across the way I would have gone,
A serpent with a mangled head.

No more I ask the reason why,
Although I may not see
The path ahead, His way I go;
For though I know not, He doth know,
And He will choose safe paths for me.
--The Sunday School Times

-- by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman (From Streams in the Desert)

bubblegirl23

Resident bubble chick
Apr 24, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟2,459.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Now I'm worried!

I am going to sign up to self-publish my book. Maybe God never intended it published. Am I doing the wrong thing? I chose to semi-self publish because I wanted to reach people now rather than spending twenty years being in the background or rejected. Stephen King was rejected 50 times before he was published!

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sometimes we do things and God's unseen hand is behind it. But sometimes we create " Ishmael's " in our life by not waiting upon God and trying to make it happen our own way.
We do not need to live in fear about eevry decision but it is important to hear from God and most important to be in relationship with God.
The people in the passage from Isaiah had lost relationship with The Lord. It wasn't about making some specific decision wrongly. It was about their whole life being lived apart from God and just doing their own thing.

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
bubblegirl23 said:
Now I'm worried!
I am going to sign up to self-publish my book. Maybe God never intended it published. Am I doing the wrong thing? I chose to semi-self publish because I wanted to reach people now rather than spending twenty years being in the background or rejected. Stephen King was rejected 50 times before he was published!
Pray about it. And while praying reflect on your financial resources: self-publishing cost money. Do you have the amount or do you need to borrow it. Can you afford parting with the extra money or would you be in trouble supporting yourself or your family.

Sometimes God requires from us to wait on Him at other times He requires us to take action. I don't know whether or not God intends your book to be publish. But even if He wants you to publish it, He will not print and publish it for you.

I don't know about your situation - but I do know that writing a book takes time. God gave you this time, He made it possible for you to spend hours and hours writing this book, He gave you the talent, the creativity, the skill. He does all that for you - but it is up to you what you do with it. Apparently you have used your time and used your God given talent.

God knew that you wanted this book to write and to publish. Don't you think that over the time - while you were working on it - He would have let you know not to pursuit it? Maybe there were times - only you can determine that.

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
vinc said:
Rely on God, Not Self

"Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow" (Isa. 50:11).

What a solemn warning to those who walk in darkness and yet who try to help themselves out into the light. They are represented as kindling a fire, and compassing themselves with sparks. What does this mean?
In Math. 5:16 Jesus Christ says: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. In Acts 26:18 the Lord Jesus Christ tells Paul: "To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

Believers are turned from darkness to light. Believers are not represented as a kindling fire and flames. Believers are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the Way and there is no other way to come out of darkness. We should be on fire for God (figuratively speaking) but we will not burn up in sparks, fire and flame. We might get burnt, get our fingers burnt (figuratively speaking) if we act too hasty, without waiting on God. But that could also happen if we don't do anything at all.

I believe we have to be careful and guard ourselves not to go to either extreme (total self-reliance which is wrong) or relying on God in the sense that we don't do anything else. God wants us to work and be able to feed and clothes ourselves and our family but if we don't get up and apply for jobs, we might not be able to do that. But while going about job hunt we should remember God, pray to Him and if we get the job we should not consider ourselves so smart and skilled that we simply had to get employed - no, God gave us the hands, the feet, the brain, the health and the strength.

Upvote 0