Religious Affiliation May Lower Suicide Risk

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004122714050002798527&dt=20041227140500&w=RTR&coview=

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Depressed men and women who consider themselves affiliated with a religion are less likely to attempt suicide than their non-religious counterparts, according to new study findings.

"If someone acknowledges being religious, all else being equal, they are at lower risk to act on suicidal thoughts than someone who does not acknowledge religious affiliation," study co-author Dr. Maria A. Oquendo told Reuters Health.......
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...14050002798527&dt=20041227140500&w=RTR&coview

Interesting read

Randall McNally

Secrecy and accountability cannot coexist.
Oct 27, 2004
✟3,822.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
I'm not surprised. The US is a very religion-friendly place. There is some social stigma - and stress thereby - associated with being non-religious, which the openly-religious obviously do not deal with. Additionally, churches are among the best places for fellowshipping and receiving comfort and advice.

Upvote 0

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yamialpha said:
That is logical since the person a. has more to live for and b. fears the penalties of suicide more due to their religion.
It ain't necessarily so. I would never commit suicide because my life is precious; every moment I am alive is one more irreplaceable memory. Saying that a religious person has more to live for is silly; a religious person believes in an afterlife. If anything, he has more of a reason to die.

I promise you that I have everything to live for. God needn't enter the equation. In fact, when I was religious I was much less fulfilled.

It's awfully presumptuous (not to mention wrong) of you to make that statement.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First off, religion gives reassurance to people who have nothing to hold onto. Second, many religions say suicide is a one way ticket to hell. The notion of hell is worse than pretty much anything you're going through here. Religion also gives a convenient network for support and counseling.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I really agree that there are less suicides with religious people because they fear the consequences of their actions and a possible eternity and hell.

I can tell you that it has worked for me more than once, and I'm glad it did.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Vylo said:
Actually the reduction in suicide, like many of the other benefits that come from religion, are from the community aspect of religious worship.
Hmmm. Like I was saying there, speaking from personal experience, I didn't find it to be the worship at all. I found it to be the threat of hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
drfeelgood said:
I really agree that there are less suicides with religious people because they fear the consequences of their actions and a possible eternity and hell.

I can tell you that it has worked for me more than once, and I'm glad it did.
that makes sense. Coupled with the increased likelihood of belonging to a community that cares about you, that's gotta help.

It's not easy being a nonbeliever.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sors said:
Its a proven fact that religious people are more likely to be happy than non-religious people.
I would love a reference for that statement. Not that I believe or disbelieve it, but I would love to see the evidence for it.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Randall McNally said:
Me too. Suicide rates are easily compared. Happiness levels are not.
I think that the going notion is that atheists have a certain emptiness in them that can't be filled with the things this world has to offer. The idea is that it's a spot that only a relationship with God can fill. Only then can one truly be fully happy. I'm pretty sure that's what Sors is getting at with that comment.

Upvote 0

starchild

Even the least of these my brethren.
Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
That's an interesting and well stated theory... but the term "proven fact" has always, to me, inferred that there are "facts" with "proofs" or data that support those facts.
drfeelgood said:
I think that the going notion is that atheists have a certain emptiness in them that can't be filled with the things this world has to offer. The idea is that it's a spot that only a relationship with God can fill. Only then can one truly be fully happy. I'm pretty sure that's what Sors is getting at with that comment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
starchild said:
That's an interesting and well stated theory... but the term "proven fact" has always, to me, inferred that there are "facts" with "proofs" or data that support those facts.
Yes, I agree. I have never seen any proven facts that this phenomenon exists. I can only provide my own experiences, and perhaps other Christians can share their experience too.

Apart from that, I don't see how such a thing can be measured or documented. I'm pretty sure that there aren't many atheists out there that won't say they are totally happy and satisfied with life (apart from some day to day trials and tribulations of course). I'm equally sure that there aren't many Christians out there that wouldn't state that it's not possible to be completely happy and fulfilled without having Christ as your saviour.

I dunno. I'd be interested in any surveys or other data that can prove this theory wrong.

Upvote 0