W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If it were not for the Lord, and his teaching about love, i would give up on Christianity. It causes me so much distress. Its as if i am clinging to hope, love, and faith, but without everything else. I consider this liberty. Liberty is joyful but religion is not. Any thoughts?

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If it were not for the Lord, and his teaching about love, i would give up on Christianity. It causes me so much distress. Its as if i am clinging to hope, love, and faith, but without everything else. I consider this liberty. Liberty is joyful but religion is not. Any thoughts?

I do not see a reason why religion can't be joyful, but I very much recommend this video about becoming love:

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
religion is a path of a serpent ....

Is this the path of the sepant?:

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We are free indeed in Christ Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, one thing you could do is pick some people around in real life to initiate (or increase) some more "love your neighbor as yourself" with, and have more of the here and now results of doing as Christ said. It can be surprising, I learned. People that I didn't expect to be all-that to know turned out to be blessings to me in ways I could not imagine ahead of time. Now this 2nd greatest commandment is very rewarding to do, and there is more, which I didn't guess, could not imagine, such as the unexpected and sublime results of doing the greatest commandment as He named it. And more, there is the "forgive" commandment from Him which also is so wonderful once we do it, that is to the level of real forgiveness in our hearts to individuals that have wronged us, because of how wonderful the feeling is from doing that, just so good. More than release even. It's...more. For me 'christianity' is mostly these experiences, here and now, and drawing closer to Love (yes, with that capital L; "God is love"). We even have more yet, in that as we seek to do God's will in these things, then we are getting into the wondrous results that open up such as in John chapter 14.

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

not at all ...

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Notice the words pure and undefiled religion. James is teaching us about simplicity, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
not at all ...

That is an important exception. Religion can be good and bad depending on what it teaches, so we should not speak against religion as a whole, especially when we are seeking to follow the religion taught by Christ. When a religion teaches hope, love, and faith, then it doesn't make much sense to consider this to be joyful, but to say that religion is not.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, one thing you could do is pick some people around in real life to initiate (or increase) some more "love your neighbor as yourself" with, and have more of the here and now results of doing as Christ said. It can be surprising, I learned. People that I didn't expect to be all-that to know turned out to be blessings to me in ways I could not imagine ahead of time. Now this 2nd greatest commandment is very rewarding to do, and there is more, which I didn't guess, could not imagine, such as the unexpected and sublime results of doing the greatest commandment as He named it. And more, there is the "forgive" commandment from Him which also is so wonderful once we do it, that is to the level of real forgiveness in our hearts to individuals that have wronged us, because of how wonderful the feeling is from doing that, just so good. More than release even. It's...more. For me 'christianity' is mostly these experiences, here and now, and drawing closer to Love (yes, with that capital L; "God is love"). We even have more yet, in that as we seek to do God's will in these things, then we are getting into the wondrous results that open up such as in John chapter 14.
I agree, but religion takes my focus off of love and instead sows strife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is an important exception. Religion can be good and bad depending on what it teaches, so we should not speak against religion as a whole, especially when we are seeking to follow the religion taught by Christ. When a religion teaches hope, love, and faith, then it doesn't make much sense to consider this to be joyful, but to say that religion is not.

Jesus Christ did away with religion ...

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
For me its a source of strife and division. Thats not joyful.

I would say that it is pride that causes strife and division, not a religion that teaches against pride.

Notice the words pure and undefiled religion. James is teaching us about simplicity, in my opinion.

I agree, but if there is a form of religion that is good and joyful, then it is not correct to say that religion is not good and joyful.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ did away with religion ...

So Christ did away with this?:

Upvote 0