W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the problem is when we pursue "the knowledge of good and evil", which all men apart from relationship with God must do, for the sake of living a good life, but unfortunately it all leads to death.
The way that we were created to operate was demonstrated by the 2nd Adam who only acted as He saw His Father acting, and only spoke as He heard Him speak.
We are given the Spirit (which is why Christ left us) so that as we remain in Him we 2 can follow His commands as He gives them to us.
In this way we do not have to have any knowledge of what we should and shouldn't do in every little circumstance, only that we hear His voice and we obey. Yes we test the Spirits and yes we are fruit bearers and fruit inspectors but we are not religious moralists.
I agree.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Define "religion".

Good question, and something that did need clearing up.

I see the good points most are trying to make, but the term "religion" is used in a few different ways, some, it's a good thing, and other contexts...it's not. So just saying all that needs to be cleared up if it hasn't been already so there is less confusion/needless disagreement.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good question, and something that did need clearing up.

I see the good points most are trying to make, but the term "religion" is used in a few different ways, some, it's a good thing, and other contexts...it's not. So just saying all that needs to be cleared up if it hasn't been already so there is less confusion/needless disagreement.
I started this thread because religion grieves me with all its division. I dislike religion very much, but i like the pure religion that the apostle james referred to in his epistle.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have defined pure and undefiled religion. feed widows and orphans and keep our self unspotted by the world. That is simplicity. IMO
Amen! James 1:26 - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. This man's religion is vain, empty, devoid of power, lacking in content, nonproductive, dead and of no eternal value.

James 1:27 - Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. There is absolutely nothing wrong with "pure and undefiled religion" but there is certainly something wrong with impure and defiled religion. It is possible to be "religious" but not right with God. Just look at the Pharisees. Religion apart from a relationship with Jesus Christ is in vain.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen! James 1:26 - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. This man's religion is vain, empty, devoid of power, lacking in content, nonproductive, dead and of no eternal value.

James 1:27 - Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. There is absolutely nothing wrong with "pure and undefiled religion" but there is certainly something wrong with impure and defiled religion. It is possible to be "religious" but not right with God. Just look at the Pharisees. Religion apart from a relationship with Jesus Christ is in vain.
Amen.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started this thread because religion grieves me with all its division. I dislike religion very much, but i like the pure religion that the apostle james referred to in his epistle.

Yes, exactly my point. Actually I didn't even know the term religion was in the bible, interesting. So apparently it means one thing, Christianity. and it morphed into describing any given spiritual group, like Buddhism or whatever other thousands of "Religions".

That should never have happened if that is the case. Really confuses things...oh well.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, exactly my point. Actually I didn't even know the term religion was in the bible, interesting. So apparently it means one thing, Christianity. and it morphed into describing any given spiritual group, like Buddhism or whatever other thousands of "Religions".

That should never have happened if that is the case. Really confuses things...oh well.
I think James is teaching that our religion can be useless.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think James is teaching that our religion can be useless.

OK, thank you, I'm going to have to look into that next chance I get, I mean definitions and all as I sill don't have it straight. Intriguing.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If it were not for the Lord, and his teaching about love, i would give up on Christianity. It causes me so much distress. Its as if i am clinging to hope, love, and faith, but without everything else. I consider this liberty. Liberty is joyful but religion is not. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I already went through the "atheist disillusionment" and kept Jesus even though none of the religious elements were really of any value at that time. I've recovered significantly since then, but if I based my christianity on "things" like the inerrant nature of scripture instead of Jesus, I'd be an atheist right now. Faith goes so much deeper.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I already went through the "atheist disillusionment" and kept Jesus even though none of the religious elements were really of any value at that time. I've recovered significantly since then, but if I based my christianity on "things" like the inerrant nature of scripture instead of Jesus, I'd be an atheist right now. Faith goes so much deeper.
Faith can be a battle at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christianity is not a religion, it is a faith. Religions are man-made. A person can be of any one of a number of religions as a CHRISTIAN.

Religions have their problems. But the problem of not joining into a religion, a particular denomination, is you might go without fellowship as well. So the trick is to find a church where you agree with their views on FAITH and absorb the FELLOWSHIP too! Good wishes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christianity is not a religion, it is a faith. Religions are man-made. A person can be of any one of a number of religions as a CHRISTIAN.

Religions have their problems. But the problem of not joining into a religion, a particular denomination, is you might go without fellowship as well. So the trick is to find a church where you agree with their views on FAITH and absorb the FELLOWSHIP too! Good wishes.
Yes i suppose so. Thank you.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?

There is only One view that is in agreement with The Father...and it be no trick. Perception is everything as it relates to the question "Where art thou?" in the garden.

1 John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Matthew 6:23 But if your vision is poor, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

There is a way that seems right unto a man...

Reactions: mozo41
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Religion or denominations are not inherently evil or wicked. Man does that. They began by those of like beliefs meeting together to study and fellowship. Say you have a large body of believers, truly Christ followers... yet on a few points not pertaining to salvation perhaps, they disagree. The ones who are like-beliefs join and meet together. OR there could be a distance/travel issue... so those living closer together agree to meet together without the others....

If you are not part of a group, you are missing the fellowship God has for you. At some point that group will create a name, if in theory only.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Religion or denominations are not inherently evil or wicked. Man does that. They began by those of like beliefs meeting together to study and fellowship. Say you have a large body of believers, truly Christ followers... yet on a few points not pertaining to salvation perhaps, they disagree. The ones who are like-beliefs join and meet together. OR there could be a distance/travel issue... so those living closer together agree to meet together without the others....

If you are not part of a group, you are missing the fellowship God has for you. At some point that group will create a name, if in theory only.
Thats true. I believe online fellowship is useful.

Upvote 0