Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why has religion become less important over time? Is it a sign of the times? I've noticed very few young people taking religious vocations, or being serious about their faith.

*BTW, by "religion" I mean relationship with God. Not necessarily rules and rituals.

God bless

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how you can separate the rules and rituals from a relationship with God. Those rules and rituals signify a belief in practice and without that you have merely a theory by which you don't live by.

Our actions often speak louder than our words and religion, insofar as my own personal experience goes, was systematically de-emphasized at every level of society when I was growing up. Institutions and people that might have encouraged religion in the past didn't. Family, Schools/education, Government, Media/Entertainment, the popular literature were all curiously secular or areligious in the vision of society they promoted. Religion could be part of said secular society but it could never be an essential part of society and what is not essential can be thrown out and discarded.

We can put most of the blame on inaction on part of Christians over the last hundred years to conform to secular standards instead of seeking to enforce Christian ones.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's the emphasis on science and technology and education, and science denies God or religion. They don't teach creation in schools anymore, they teach kids that humans evolved from apes or primitive creatures. Society has taught people that religion is associated with being old fashioned and uneducated like people believed in magic and witchcraft and God before they understood science etc. So unfortunately new generations are moving away from Christianity thinking they are more evolved or advanced or more educated by questioning traditional religious beliefs. Everything Christians or religion believes in they are making up a scientific explanation for, like saying NDE are just the dying brain firing off signals rapidly or something like that. So unfortunately the new generations are believing that stuff more so than their grandparents explanation of faith and God. I'm afraid it will get worse.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why has religion become less important over time? Is it a sign of the times? I've noticed very few young people taking religious vocations, or being serious about their faith.

*BTW, by "religion" I mean relationship with God. Not necessarily rules and rituals.

God bless
I would blame it on the educational system that promotes that anyone who believes in God is ignorant, or stupid or both.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Capitulation to the world such that there's nothing you can get in Christianity as it is known by the western world that you can't get in greater measure with meditation and a Deepak Chopra podcast or whatever. Replacement of 'hard' theology and praxis with weak, squishy, ineffectual "I'm OK, You're OK" piffle. A lot of really just bad theology and bad anthropology rooted in social niceties rather than inviolable principles and their timeless theological underpinnings. Worldly political nonsense dividing formerly united churches and congregations.

Also, a lot of millennials (like a lot of any given generation) are just really, really shallow people who don't like to think too hard about anything.

Take your pick, really.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

God bless
I’m gen X so not quite your target audience but a lot of people my age that I know simply don’t find the claims made by the various religions very persuasive.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So many thoughts. I think we were the generation where school sports became more important than church attendance. You started seeing events programmed for times that were traditional for church.

Our parents were the first generation that tested really poorly on Biblical literacy. Our teachers, if they were church goers, were often subversive of their own church. Most of the teachers I knew who were openly religious were liberal or cafeteria Catholics or social club Methodists. Additionally, the world had opened up and we actually had to interact with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. Our parents and teachers didn't want to appear to be racists so they bought into the 'all paths lead to God' mantra.

Church lost its substance. Our parents were taken in by the entertainment service format and we grew to expect that - and endless programs that we didn't actually regularly attend, but a church had to have them to even be worthy of consideration. The personal relationship philosophy converted church into a mental thing more than something we do. It's okay to miss several Sundays in a row going to volleyball tournaments and the lake because, you know, I've got my personal relationship with Jesus.

The stigma of not going to church regularly was gone. You could be a respectable member of society as a "Christmas and Easter (and Mother's Day) Christian." We ate out at restaurants more than previous generations and it was uncomfortable to pray over meals at a restaurant table.

I could keep going but I feel like I'm losing direction and rambling.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So many thoughts. I think we were the generation where school sports became more important than church attendance. You started seeing events programmed for times that were traditional for church.

Our parents were the first generation that tested really poorly on Biblical literacy. Our teachers, if they were church goers, were often subversive of their own church. Most of the teachers I knew who were openly religious were liberal or cafeteria Catholics or social club Methodists. Additionally, the world had opened up and we actually had to interact with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. Our parents and teachers didn't want to appear to be racists so they bought into the 'all paths lead to God' mantra.

Church lost its substance. Our parents were taken in by the entertainment service format and we grew to expect that - and endless programs that we didn't actually regularly attend, but a church had to have them to even be worthy of consideration. The personal relationship philosophy converted church into a mental thing more than something we do. It's okay to miss several Sundays in a row going to volleyball tournaments and the lake because, you know, I've got my personal relationship with Jesus.

The stigma of not going to church regularly was gone. You could be a respectable member of society as a "Christmas and Easter (and Mother's Day) Christian." We ate out at restaurants more than previous generations and it was uncomfortable to pray over meals at a restaurant table.

I could keep going but I feel like I'm losing direction and rambling.
Very interesting perspective.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I’m gen X so not quite your target audience but a lot of people my age that I know simply don’t find the claims made by the various religions very persuasive.
I wonder when that's when religion started losing its "popularity" so to speak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wonder when that's when religion started losing its "popularity" so to speak.
I think the thing is that an ideology needs something to offer. Christianity doesn’t offer anything tangible beyond the social aspect which can be found easily elsewhere and without the implied criticism of being a terrible sinner.

Reactions: Frater Chad
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the thing is that an ideology needs something to offer. Christianity doesn’t offer anything tangible beyond the social aspect which can be found easily elsewhere and without the implied criticism of being a terrible sinner.
I do not know that I can agree with that. there are many people who attribute their success to their Christian beliefs and eternal life is a significant benefit.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I do not know that I can agree with that. there are many people who attribute their success to their Christian beliefs and eternal life is a significant benefit.
Well yeah, but someone who does not already believe in God will attribute their success to their hard work and luck. And that seems to be the point with the OP. When religion offers nothing unique it doesn't have much in the way of traction.

And the eternal life only makes sense if you already believe. The OP is about why people may not attracted to religion- being told that you will live for ever in Heaven if you believe (in broad terms) does not sound plausible to many people.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm...that's your perception from an atheistic point of view. It's very important to hear from atheists and other non-Christians!

I think, from my POV, Christianity offers freedom from sin and darkness. It's a way of life IMHO

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well yeah, but someone who does not already believe in God will attribute their success to their hard work and luck. And that seems to be the point with the OP. When religion offers nothing unique it doesn't have much in the way of traction.

And the eternal life only makes sense if you already believe. The OP is about why people may not attracted to religion- being told that you will live for ever in Heaven if you believe (in broad terms) does not sound plausible to many people.
and there does seem to be a case for believing that Jesus resurrected from the dead and that miracles happened and continue to happen, and that the universe had a beginning which would require a first mover. But some who refuse to believe are going to continue to refuse to believe not because it is not plausible but because it would require them to reconsider their life styles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hmmm...that's your perception from an atheistic point of view. It's very important to hear from atheists and other non-Christians!

I think, from my POV, Christianity offers freedom from sin and darkness. It's a way of life IMHO
But the thread seems to be about why people are not up taking religion. You are a Christian so you are not the person not being attracted to Christianity.

If one does not find metaphysical sin a reality the whole foundation of Christianity falls to the ground.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
and there does seem to be a case for believing that Jesus resurrected from the dead and that miracles happened and continue to happen, and that the universe had a beginning which would require a first mover. But some who refuse to believe are going to continue to refuse to believe not because it is not plausible but because it would require them to reconsider their life styles.
All of those points are still up for debate in the mind of a non Christian. A non Christian is not convinced that their behaviour needs to be changed to conform to a set of rules as latex out in a book they have no confidence in.

If I may, you seem to be coming at this imagining the hypothetical gen z person does not want to believe in God and is trying to find justification, rather than never having being convinced that the claims of the Bible are accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All of those points are still up for debate in the mind of a non Christian. A non Christian is not convinced that their behaviour needs to be changed to conform to a set of rules as latex out in a book they have no confidence in.

If I may, you seem to be coming at this imagining the hypothetical gen z person does not want to believe in God and is trying to find justification, rather than never having being convinced that the claims of the Bible are accurate.
My experience is that most of those who do not believe have never truly made an attempt to investigate the evidence, they do not wish to believe because it would mean that there is such a thing as sin. Sin is very attractive, sin is fun, and some people have a very hard time giving up those things they have come to enjoy so their mind is closed they have a reason not to even want to consider Christianity.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My experience is that most of those who do not believe have never truly made an attempt to investigate the evidence, they do not wish to believe because it would mean that there is such a thing as sin. Sin is very attractive, sin is fun, and some people have a very hard time giving up those things they have come to enjoy so their mind is closed they have a reason not to even want to consider Christianity.

I think that hits the nail on the head. To believe in God means being accountable for their actions. Someone to have to answer to. People want to just believe they can do whatever they want as long as it seems to not be hurting anyone.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I dunno about in a broader sense. My experience is that when people do examine the evidence i.e. read the Bible they are driven away from it- if they didn’t already believe.

And that seems to be my thesis here. The Bible only make sense if you already believe in the Bible.

That makes me think that people are not being uptaken by Christianity because they are not exposed to it as very young children.

Upvote 0