Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe your mistake here is in making the word "gospel" mean the same thing every time its used. ie; the system of faith that Jesus brought to us - good news - with its specific commandments, and the "good news" as told to Abraham that in his seed would come a blessing for all mankind. It's good news, but it isn't the entire gospel. Abraham didn't therefore go get baptized and stop sacrificing animals. God preached "the good news" to Abraham but it wasn't the entire, revealed gospel message that Jesus brought.
It's not mistake... it's intentional. I'm going off of what Paul prefaces his Galatians 3 discussion with:

[Gal 1:6-8 NASB] 6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is [really] not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!​

So it was THIS gospel that God preached to Abraham.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not mistake... it's intentional. I'm going off of what Paul prefaces his Galatians 3 discussion with:

[Gal 1:6-8 NASB] 6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is [really] not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!​

So it was THIS gospel that God preached to Abraham.

If Abraham was actually preached the entire, revealed Gospel of Christ, why did he continue to sacrifice animals? You are conflating the word "gospel" in another passage and saying that it means the same thing as it does here. It doesn't necessarily mean that and really there's no reason to believe that it does. The term "breaking of bread" itself has two different meanings in the verses very close to one another. Words do not always mean the same thing and its context that determines it, not mere use of the word. The "good news of Christ," which was preached to Abraham was his eventual arrival, not the system of the gospel which Christ later came and preached.

Consider this modern example.

"I have a friend on facebook who I have liked for a very long time and so when I visited his page I liked him."

Both of the times I used "liked" in that sentence, they mean different things. Word meanings are derived from their usages in sentences, not their definitions in dictionaries, which are themselves determined by use.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Abraham was actually preached the entire, revealed Gospel of Christ, why did he continue to sacrifice animals?

Do you think we no longer need a sacrifice?

Hebrews 7:1-4 (NASB) 1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3 Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually. 4 Now observe how great this man was to whom Abraham, the patriarch, gave a tenth of the choicest spoils.

Hebrews 7:11-22 (NASB) 11 Now if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the people received the Law), what further need was there for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be designated according to the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also. 13 For the one concerning whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no one has officiated at the altar. 14 For it is evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, a tribe with reference to which Moses spoke nothing concerning priests. 15 And this is clearer still, if another priest arises according to the likeness of Melchizedek, 16 who has become such not on the basis of a law of physical requirement, but according to the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is attested of Him, "YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER ACCORDING TO THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK." 18 For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God. 20 And inasmuch as it was not without an oath 21 (for they indeed became priests without an oath, but He with an oath through the One who said to Him, "THE LORD HAS SWORN AND WILL NOT CHANGE HIS MIND, ‘YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER’"); 22 so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think we no longer need a sacrifice?

Why would you ask that? If Abraham was preached the entire revealed gospel of Jesus Christ, then the means of remission would be baptism and Christ's sacrifice, not animal sacrifice. What does that have to do with what I think about sacrifices or their necessity today?

Wouldn't Abraham, had he truly known "the gospel" - because you allege that God preached to him the same gospel we're preached today - have questioned God regarding the sacrifice of Isaac? "Wait, God, you said you were going to sacrifice your own son so that I wouldn't have to sacrifice my livestock anymore. Why are you demanding I provide my own son?"

But what happened? Counter to the gospel that Abraham was allegedly preached, God provided a ram for him to sacrifice.

He wasn't preached the entire new testament gospel as we know it. He was preached the good news of the coming Messiah and he was expected to live up to the covenant he had currently entered into with God.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Abraham was preached the entire revealed gospel of Jesus Christ, then the means of remission would be baptism and Christ's sacrifice, not animal sacrifice. What does that have to do with what I think about sacrifices or their necessity today?

I didn't say God revealed the "entire gospel" to him. Just enough of if for him to believe the actual gospel. Of course, the gospel is pretty simple. The only thing that Abraham lacked were specific details.

Jesus said,

[Jhn 8:39-44, 56-58 NASB] 39 They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham.
((what did Abraham do? He believed the gospel!))

40 "But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. 41 "You are doing the deeds of your father." They said to Him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God." 42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. 43 "Why do you not understand what I am saying? [It is] because you cannot hear My word. 44 "You are of [your] father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own [nature,] for he is a liar and the father of lies. ... 56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw [it] and was glad." 57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."​

This shows Jesus is counting the children of Abraham as spiritual descendants not physical descendants -- he says "you cannot hear my word." Remember, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. So he's saying they do not believe the gospel, so they are not qualified as descendants of Abraham. Then he says Abraham did have faith in Him -- he "rejoiced to see My day."

[Rom 4:9-13, 16-17 NASB] 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. ... 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.​

Wouldn't Abraham, had he truly known "the gospel" - because you allege that God preached to him the same gospel we're preached today - have questioned God regarding the sacrifice of Isaac? "Wait, God, you said you were going to sacrifice your own son so that I wouldn't have to sacrifice my livestock anymore. Why are you demanding I provide my own son?"

Abraham demonstrates that BELIEF (in the gospel) is more important than UNDERSTANDING. Furthermore, that scripture says that Abraham believed so deeply in God's promise that he figured God could raise Isaac from the dead. Abraham didn't have all the details, but he knew enough for what he believed to be classified by God as "the gospel" cementing his place as the father of all who believed, and initiating the inheritance of the saints and the adoption as sons for those who believe the same gospel as Abraham (albeit us with more understanding than he had).

But what happened? Counter to the gospel that Abraham was allegedly preached, God provided a ram for him to sacrifice.

Right... trials test our faith, not our ability to obey.
[Jas 1:2-3 NASB] 2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

[Heb 10:36, 38-39 NASB] 36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised. ... 38 BUT MY RIGHTEOUS ONE SHALL LIVE BY FAITH; AND IF HE SHRINKS BACK, MY SOUL HAS NO PLEASURE IN HIM. 39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.​

He wasn't preached the entire new testament gospel as we know it. He was preached the good news of the coming Messiah and he was expected to live up to the covenant he had currently entered into with God.

I agree. And we, if we want to participate in Abraham's covenant, should do the same.

[Gal 3:15-18 NASB] 15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is [only] a man's covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

[Gal 4:22-31 NASB] 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these [women] are two covenants: one [proceeding] from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written, "REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR; BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR; FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND." 28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him [who was born] according to the Spirit, so it is now also. 30 But what does the Scripture say? "CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN." 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

[Heb 8:7-13 NASB] 7 For if that first [covenant] had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says, "BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH; 9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD. 10 "FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. 11 "AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN, AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM. 12 "FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE." 13 When He said, "A new [covenant,]" He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.​

Paul speaks of two covenants in Galatians; the Works of The Law, and Faith in the Gospel. The covenant God made with Abraham was the covenant of faith (faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ). I don't know about you, but I would much rather be counted as a descendant of that covenant and obtain righteousness through faith rather than try to earn it by works.

Since the covenant of faith was given to Abraham, we can say with certainty that the covenant of faith - which came 430 years before The Law of Moses - is truly apart from The Law. The covenant of faith was ratified in the latter half of Genesis 15 where God has Abraham split animals in half and God passes between as a flame of fire (how covenants were ratified in those days). At that point, no more conditions could be added to that covenant, so The Law doesn't modify or add conditions to the covenant of faith... so salvation is truly apart from works of the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're going to have to be more specific then to show this alleged distinction. Paul isn't making a distinction between justification and righteousness. He uses the same word used for both. δικαιω means 'to render just or innocent.' To be righteous under the law is to be justified by it - or by obedience to it, more accurately.

He's not making a distinction between our English words, he using the word that we translate into 'justified' AND 'righteous.'

Being justified is the same as being righteous. But it isn't the same as self-justification. The only thing that can justify us or make us righteous before God is to obey the commands he gave.
This will take some time to explain and it has been a long time since I did a word study on it, you can google it and see what scholars say as an example:

What is the difference between 'righteousness' and 'justification'?

The word group "dikaios" has both righteous and justified, but that does not make them the same meaning in Greek, here are some excerpts:

The Greek feminine noun "dikaiosynē" means "righteousness" or "uprightness."

When used of God, Paul refers to God’s moral character as "righteous" (Rom 1:17; 3:5; 21, 22, 25, 26; 10:3; 2 Cor 5:21; Phil 3:9).

When used of Believers, Paul clearly indicates that faith, the trusting belief in God and His promises are true, is the basis of determining if one is righteous or not (Rom 4:3, 5, 6, 9, 22; Gal 3:6).

Faith was God’s standard of determining if one is righteous in the Old Testament (Rom 4:6, 11, 13).

Faith in Jesus Christ is God’s standard of determining if one is righteous in the New Testament (Rom 5:17, 21; Gal 2:21; 3:21; Phil 3:6, 9).

While righteousness is from God (1 Cor 1:30; 2 Cor 3:9; 5:21; 6:7, 14; 9:9; Gal 5:5; Tit 3:5) and available to all (Rom 9:30; 10:4, 10), it provides a basis for a new mindset and virtue. Paul speaks of a freedom from sin (Rom 6:13, 16, 18; 8:10) and a new person (Eph 4:24; 5:9; 6:14; Phil 1:11) who is more discerning about adverse influences (2 Cor 6:14; 11:15; 1 Tim 6:11; 2 Tim 2:22).

There is some aspect of training to righteousness (2 Tim 3:16) which culminates in the Kingdom of God (Rom 14:17) and an award for righteousness (2 Tim 4:8).

The Greek verb "dikaioō" means "justify", "acquit" or "vindicate."

God justifies those who believe in Him and whose conduct reveals their regenerate hearts (Rom 2:13).

God is justified to be Judge because of His words are true (Rom 3:4, [Ps 51:4]).

Good works does not meet God’s standard of righteousness (Rom 3:20).

God justifies those who have faith in God and trust in the redemptive work of Jesus (Rom 3:24, 26, 28, 30; 4:2, 5; 5:1, 9; 6:11; 8:30, 33; Gal 2:16, 17; 3:8, 11, 24; 5:4; 1 Tim 3:16; Tit 3:7).

The verb justify ("dikaioō") can be understood within the context of a court of law. It reflects the action of a judge after the defendant has been investigated and judgment made; it is the action of declaring the defendant righteous in accordance to God’s moral standard. It is a change of legal status.

The Greek feminine noun "dikaiōsis" means "justification" or "vindication."

Paul indicates that Jesus’ death and resurrection were both essential to pay the redemptive price for the sins of all people so that God could freely forgive each person who responds by faith to the offer of forgiveness through Christ’s provision (Rom 4:25).

The resurrection of Christ was proof that God accepted Jesus’ sacrifice, and because Jesus lives, God can credit His provided righteousness to the account of each person who responds in faith to the offer (Rom 5:18).

Viewed from the perspective of a court of law, the Greek noun "dikaiōsis" is God’s declaration that a defendant is justified, free from guilt and acceptable to Him. Within the context of salvation, this change in legal status places an emphasis on the initial stage of salvation.

Zacharias and Elizabeth were not blameless because of their obedience to the gospel before it had been delivered. Mark 1:1-4 tells us that the gospel was given when Jesus started his ministry. Nobody was aware of the gospel's details. They might have believed that a Messiah was coming and accepted that he would bring a new covenant. But everyone "made righteous" did so under the particular covenant that they were under.
Blameless before people and your family is different than being blameless before God. All elders are to be blameless before family and friends. I do not see people being made righteous in the OT differently than the NT, they both have to do outside of the “Old Law”, being forgive of the past sins and living righteously.
The law had forgiveness. Says so plainly in Leviticus. "and it shall be forgiven him." In the Septuagint, the word used for "forgiven" there is the same word used for forgiven in the new testament. Not a partial forgiveness but a "leaving" or "putting away" of sin. That word is also the one used when Jesus prayed on the cross, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me."
YES!!! Very much so, in Lev. 5 and other places you could be forgiven by God of unintentional sins or even sins against your neighbor, but not rebellious disobedience directly against God, which all mature adults do at some time in their adult life.

We might talk later sometime about "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me."
The teaching that atonement is different than forgiveness is not correct. All sins are "covered" in the sense that they are forgotten. The covering prevents anyone from looking back on them and seeing that they were committed. A person back then was cleansed of his sin just as he is today. Both "dispensations" delivered remission though through different sacrifices. And as Paul explains in Hebrews, what makes the gospel superior is that there isn't a repeated requirement to offer new sacrifices. Jesus made the one sacrifice for all. And as we read from the account of Cornelius, there were certain Gentiles who obeyed God even though they were not bound by the law of Moses.
There is a whole list of sins in the OT which required banishment or death, without any atonement process given.

There are really three groups of sins in the OT Law: Very minor sins (unintentional for the most part) ones you really have to be careful not to accidentally commit, intentional rebellious sins against God with no atonement process given (just banishment or death), and sins you are not sure you even committed (did I do it right, did I do enough and is it included as a sin) these sins (if it was a sin) were handled originally on the Day of Atonement and it is more to relieve the conscience of the person who is worrying, so if it was not a sin there was no forgiveness needed, but if it was a sin it was forgiven. The Day of Atonement also became a time for the sinner to remember his rebellious disobedient sins which the other Jews did not kill him for doing (he was not killed because they all did the same thing so they all need killing). This takes a deep study of sins under the Old Law.

As we read throughout the old testament and new, God does not hear the prayers of sinners (see also: John 9), and Cornelius was not a Jew, subject to the law of Moses. God accepted him though and heard his prayers.
Who said: “We know that God does not listen to sinners.”? Are they the ones you want to listen to and learn from? God is at everyone’s elbow, so He hears everything. Any sinner can come to his/her senses and turn to God like the prodigal son.

God's help is his word. The words are spirit and they are life. We can't dismiss this as if it is not spiritual enough or helpful enough. Only faith in those words will do anything. Self-justification is not possible.
If the person does not accept God’s help then he/she was not helped, but it is not God’s fault.

The Jews on the day of Pentecost had their hearts changed by the words spoken to them. If that's not God's help, nothing is. There is no need to turn the gospel into some Harry Potter magic wand event. The words are spiritual in and of themselves, and God, who invented language and words, has determined that we can be changed by those very words which are breathed out by him.
I agree, but there were those on Pentecost who heard Peter’s word of God and did nothing, because they did not accept this charity from God.
]

John says that obeying God is love. That grammar is saying explicitly that "the love of God" equals "that we keep his commandments." And it works the other way too. The love of God is not just in the giving of his Son but in the giving of his commandments.

1 John 5
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.
What command is John talking about if not: “Love God (and secondly others) with all your heart, soul, mind and energy.” Do that and you will keep all other commands. The problem with keeping that command is first to obtain Godly type Love.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is where I get the idea that Abraham believed the gospel of Jesus Christ;

[Gen 15:5-6 KJV] 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

[Gal 3:6-9, 16 NASB] 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. ... 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.
So from Galatians 3 we can see that when God said to Abraham regarding the stars "so shall thy seed (singlular) be," he was talking about Jesus Christ. God was literally preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham, and when Abraham believed God regarding Jesus Christ, he was made righteous.

[Rom 4:3, 9-13, 16-17 NASB] 3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." ... 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. ... 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.

[Gen 17:4-8 KJV] 4 As for me, behold, my covenant [is] with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. 5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. 6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. 7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed (singular) after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed (singular) after thee. 8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed (singular) after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.​

The "seed" is Christ and by extension, those who are those who are in Christ... those with the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ that Abraham had.

[Gal 3:26, 28 NASB] 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. ... 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.​

So God promises that all of Abraham's seed would inherit the righteousness God gave him when he believed the Gospel that God preached to him (the gospel specifically regarding Jesus Christ) as Gal 3:8, 16 says. So faith doesn't qualify us for righteousness as it did Abraham, but rather faith qualifies us as descendants of Abraham and thereby heirs of the righteousness God granted him.

[Rom 8:15-17 NASB] 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with [Him] so that we may also be glorified with [Him.]

[Luk 19:9 NASB] 9 And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.

[Heb 2:16 NASB] 16 For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham.​

Notice Zaccheus in Luke 19 was considered 'saved' by becoming a son of Abraham that day.

[Col 1:12 NASB] 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.

[Eph 1:13-14 NASB] 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of [God's own] possession, to the praise of His glory.​

In fact, we find out in Galatians 4 that there will be many more "children" raised up to Abraham through faith then by physical descendants. Paul quotes this verse from Isaiah 54:1 (which is the culmination of Isaiah 53 - a banned chapter in many Jewish Synagogues because of how obviously it speaks of Jesus).

[Isa 54:1 NASB] 1 "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no [child;] Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one [will be] more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.​
There was lots of "Good News" preached to Abraham.

• Agree
Reactions: Gup20
Upvote 0