Midwest
✟18,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was actually searching for information online about another topic and found this. If I remember correctly it came from a respected Christian writer, but I may be mixed up since I looked at a lot of websites. I have never heard of this before. It seems like some believe that a person can be regenerated before they had faith in Christ and redemption by his sacrifice. There was no scripture given as to on what this was based.

Is it familiar to others and can anyone explain to me where this belief came from?

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does Regeneration Precede Faith?
I was actually searching for information online about another topic and found this. If I remember correctly it came from a respected Christian writer, but I may be mixed up since I looked at a lot of websites. I have never heard of this before. It seems like some believe that a person can be regenerated before they had faith in Christ and redemption by his sacrifice. There was no scripture given as to on what this was based.

Is it familiar to others and can anyone explain to me where this belief came from?

read that article it will answer all your questions and explain there views

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It does not, it happens at the moment a person trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

The verse states believe and have eternal life not have eternal life and then believe.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

That's a relatively new theology. But in truth, God draws and moves us and gives us the grace to turn to Him in faith, but doesn't force us to do so-we can still refuse. As we accept the gift, however, He justifies us-and we enter His family. Then we must continue to walk with Him in that state, in that new life. We can still turn back away. And sometimes we'll slip and fall again but He strengthens and enables us to be able to overcome sin and grow in righteousness-and expects us to do so in the overall scheme of things-like a good Father.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @windwhistler, the belief that regeneration precedes faith is perhaps the principal principle that separates Reformed soteriology from Arminian and Semi-Pelagian soteriology, though I'm not completely sure why that is, because in a very real sense, Arminians and Semi-Pelagians believe the very same thing. The Bible teaches us that the Father must act to "draw us" to His Son or no one would choose to come to saving faith .. e.g. John 6:44.

Reformed theology/Calvinism refers to this enablement or drawing as "Irresistible (or Effectual) Grace".

Arminianism/Semi-Pelagianism calls God's drawing or enabling grace, "Prevenient Grace" ("the grace that comes before").​

The difference between Irresistible Grace and Prevenient Grace is found in the effect and scope of each.

Calvinism teaches that God extends Irresistible/Effectual Grace to His "elect" alone, and that ~all~ who are enabled/drawn by it will (eventually) come to saving faith and choose to believe.

Arminians/Semi-Pelagians on the other hand teach that God extends "Prevenient Grace" to every individual who has ever lived. IOW, they believe that He enables/draws ~ALL~ to saving faith, but that only some of the ones He draws will choose to come to Jesus and be saved.

God bless you!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BoB/335

May 12, 2021
Florida
✟16,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that no one comes to the Son unless the Father draws him. The Father has sent the Holy Spirit into the world to convict man of sin, righteousness, and judgement. Romans 1 says that what can be known of God is clearly evident. It also says that the GOSPEL is the Power of God unto salvation to ALL who BELIEVE.

So the Holy Spirit convicts man and exposes his need for a Savior.
The Law is a Tutor to lead us to Christ.
Nature and our conscience points to God.
We hear the Gospel and respond positively or negatively.
When we hear and BELIEVE we are regenerated and sealed.

Here in Ephesians 1 the order is clearly stated.

Ephesians 1:
13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Faith comes by HEARING and hearing through the Word of Christ. You hear the word of truth (the GOSPEL is the Power of God unto Salvation for ALL who BELIEVE!) The POWER of the Word along with the workings of the Holy Spirit in this world in convicting man of sin, righteousness, and judgement and after hearing the word of truth and BELIEVE are sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. This sealing with the promise is the act of being born again which IS regeneration!

Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How will they call on Him of whom they don’t know and how will they know unless someone tells them. Ephesians 1:13-14 in that order.

Reactions: obscura
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to the question is found in the passage below.

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Regeneration is through the Holy Spirit. It is impossible to recieve the Holy Spirit Baptism without faith, unless the meaning of regeneration has been abandoned. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

BoB/335

May 12, 2021
Florida
✟16,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to the question is found in the passage below.

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

I like that! Just saying........

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

windwhistler

Oct 21, 2020
Midwest
✟18,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much for the replies! I'd never heard of this before and it didn't make sense to me, but I wondered if it belonged to a different "group" of Christian believers for reasons I was unfamiliar with. It seems to me it goes against Ephesians 2:8: For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God... as well as other scriptures.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much for the replies! I'd never heard of this before and it didn't make sense to me, but I wondered if it belonged to a different "group" of Christian believers for reasons I was unfamiliar with. It seems to me it goes against Ephesians 2:8: For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God... as well as other scriptures.
If you want to ask about the Reformed view on this topic, you can post here.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me it goes against Ephesians 2:8: For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God... as well as other scriptures.

Some have said it is "faith" that is the gift of God in the verse above.

However, if you compare the verse to the rest of the New Testament it is "grace" that is the gift of God.

• Agree
Reactions: BoB/335
Upvote 0

BoB/335

May 12, 2021
Florida
✟16,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
H
Some have said it is "faith" that is the gift of God in the verse above.

However, if you compare the verse to the rest of the New Testament it is "grace" that is the gift of God.

Since Ephesians 2:8-9 seems to be in question by “that group” it would be advisable to see what the rest of Ephesians has to say. See 3:7 and 4:7 to see what the gift is (along with the rest of the New Testament as BABerean2 has stated)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People use Eph 2:8 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” to show “faith” is a gift and forget about verse 9 which says: “not by works, so that no one can boast.” The gift cannot be grammatical correct and be “faith”, but you do not have to know Greek, just look at verse 9. If “faith” were the gift then Paul is telling us faith cannot be worked for and earned which is not logical or discussed as even an option anywhere else. How would people go about working to obtain faith anyway (it is to quit working, trying to do it yourself and start trusting). The “gift” in Eph. 2:8 is the whole salvation process which Paul talks about in other places, showing people trying to earn salvation.

I can look up genders and dust off my Greek New Testament, but here is what Barnes and Robertson have to say and they do an honest job as far as I can tell:

And that not of yourselves - That is, salvation does not proceed from yourselves. The word rendered "that" - ͂ touto - is in the neuter gender, and the word "faith" - ́ pistis - is in the feminine. The word "that," therefore, does not refer particularly to faith, as being the gift of God, but to "the salvation by grace" of which he had been speaking. This is the interpretation of the passage which is the most obvious, and which is now generally conceded to be the true one; see Bloomfield. Many critics, however, as Doddridge, Beza, Piscator, and Chrysostom, maintain that the word "that" ( ͂ touto ) refers to "faith" ( ́ pistis ); and Doddridge maintains that such a use is common in the New Testament. As a matter of grammar this opinion is certainly doubtful, if not untenable; but as a matter of theology it is a question of very little importance.

Robertson, on the topic of pronouns, wrote:

9. Gender and Number of outos. ... In general, like other adjectives, outos agrees with its substantive in gender and number, whether predicate or attributive. ... In Eph. 2:8 , ..., there is no reference to pisteos in touto, but rather to the idea of salvation in the clause before. (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, p.704)

Robertson, on the topic of particles, wrote:

(ii) Kai. ... The Mere Connective ('And') ... kai tauta (frequent in ancient Greek). See in particular Eph. 2:8 , kai touto ouk ex umon, where touto refers to the whole conception, not to chariti. (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, pp. 1181-1182)

Robertson, on the topic of prepositions, wrote:

(d) dia ... 3. 'Passing Between' or 'Through.' The idea of interval between leads naturally to that of passing between two objects or parts of objects. 'Through' is thus not the original meaning of dia, but is a very common one. ... The agent may also be expressed by dia. This function was also performed in the ancient Greek, through, when means or instrument was meant, the instrumental case was commonly employed. dia is thus used with inanimate and animate objects. Here, of course, the agent is conceived as coming in between the non-attainmnet and the attainment of the object in view. ... Abstract ideas are frequently so expressed, as sesosmenoi dia pisteos (Eph. 2:8 ), ... (A. T. Robertson, A Grammar of the New Testament, pp. 580-582)

"Gift" and "faith," are both nouns and would not need to agree. However, agreement in gender is necessary between a pronoun and its antecedent. The demonstrative pronoun will change its gender to match the previous noun (or other substantive) to which it refers.

This verse tells us that the antecedent for "This" is also the "gift of God." But the "gift" cannot be "faith" because there is no agreement in gender between "faith" and the demonstrative pronoun, "touto" (This).

You can look up lots of Greek scholars work and let me know if you find any one disagreeing with this, because I have not among scholars.

I do agree “natural faith” which all mature adults have is a gift from God and, as we know from scripture: people do place natural faith in lots of things and people even worshipping rocks and wood.

The question that needs to be asked: can this God given natural faith be directed toward the Creator, just to believe in the possibility of God’s existence? Since it takes more faith and really foolishness to believe a god does not exist.

You also need to remember the Greek word translated “Faith” in the English is also translated faithfulness. I would say one of the gifts of the Spirit is faithfulness and not faith itself.

You also seem to be assuming that if the nonbelieving sinner has just some kind of “faith”, he will make the noble, honorable, worthy, righteous and holy choice to follow God, but that type of “faith” comes much later and is part of the unbelievable wonderful gifts God showers on the sinner.

The “faith/trust”, autonomous free will choice the sinner makes is between: being macho, hanging in there, being a good soldier, and being willing to take the punishment you fully deserve or wimping out, giving up and surrendering to your enemy. Like any soldier who surrenders to his enemy, you hate your enemy, but are just willing to humbly accept undeserving charity from your enemy. That little questionable “trust” in the possibility of your enemy having an unbelievable Love that could help you is all the faith you need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Regeneration/the new birth does not occur until one is water baptized (John 3:5; Titus 3:5) and belief is a prerequsite to regeneration/new birth, Mark 16:16.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @windwhistler, you may find this short video helpful if you'd like to understand the Reformed take on regeneration. You can watch/listen to the video and/or read it as the text of the video is there as well (just scroll down a bit when you get there).

It's taken from Dr. Sproul's teaching series called, What is Reformed Theology. You can watch the entire series online for free if you'd care to, just FYI.

God bless you :)

--David

• Winner
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

BoB/335

May 12, 2021
Florida
✟16,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @windwhistler, you may find this short video helpful if you'd like to understand the Reformed take on regeneration. You can watch/listen to the video and/or read it as the text of the video is there as well (just scroll down a bit when you get there).

It's taken from Dr. Sproul's teaching series called, What is Reformed Theology. You can watch the entire series online for free if you'd care to, just FYI.

God bless you :)

--David

Windwhistler, I watch Sproul, Piper, MacArthur and others all the time just to see .................. Be careful!!!

Romans 1:18-21 says:
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

It doesn’t get much clearer than that! What may be known about God is plain to them! WHY? Because they have already been regenerated??? No!!! Because God has made it plain to them!

God did not leave man clueless. Besides that He has given the Holy Spirit who is here to convict man of sin, righteousness, and judgement. God has given the Law as a Tutor to lead us to Christ.

And God has given us His Son and the Gospel message which IS the power of God unto salvation for everyone who BELIEVES!!! When you BELIEVE the Gospel He SAVES you!

Man needs to see he is depraved and not able to save himself. He just needs faith the size of a mustard seed to see his need for a Savior and place his faith in the one who loved him so much to give His life for him. Upon receiving Him, (to ALL who receive Him) He gives the right to become a child of God and is born from above. Regenerated!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

Yes indeed!

John Bunyan covered this topic quite well.

Salvation -  John Bunyan's Last Sermon

Snip... "Men that believe in Jesus Christ to the effectual receiving of Jesus Christ, they are born to it. He does not say they shall be born to it, but they are born to it; born of God, unto God, and the things of God, before they receive God to eternal salvation. "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." Now unless he be born of God, he cannot see it. Suppose the kingdom of God be what it will, he cannot see it before he be begotten of God; suppose it be the Gospel, he cannot see it before he be brought into a state of regeneration; believing is the consequence of the new birth, "not of blood, nor of the will of man, but of God."

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does Regeneration Precede Faith?

read that article it will answer all your questions and explain there views

Good Day,

I agree with this writer here with regards to Dave Allen:

Bunyan, Belief, and the New Birth: Why Regeneration Precedes Faith

In response, while I appreciate Dr. David Allen’s love for Christ and his commitment to the Scriptures, he misses the wider argument John is making. 1 John 5:1 is not only about a present participle and perfect tense verb combination, but a wider argument that is central to the purpose of his writing, namely, this is what those born of God look like – they practice righteousness, they do not practice sinning, they love God and the brethren, and they believe on Christ.

Further, merely having the new birth precede the ongoing life of faith but not the initial act of faith is not a convincing argument. It is tantamount to saying that in order for someone to “keep believing” they must have been born of God, but in order to initially believe regeneration is unnecessary. This simply does not square with John’s epistle (or his gospel). And to say that “John’s use of ‘born’ nowhere precludes the possibility of faith preceding regeneration” is really an argument from silence.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.