Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I might agree if it were not the case that that post or one similar to it is sure to appear in any thread that includes even a hint that someone disagrees with Catholic history, belief, or practice. And as Dave G. correctly noted, it doesn't take anything close to actual "bashing" to prompt that complaint.
It's been my experience that there are people who love to bash Catholics. It is quite fair to assume that Catholic bashing will commence in 'Denomination Specific Theology' within two days of a new Catholic related thread no matter what. It gets really really old. And if you don't want Catholic participation outside of OBOB, that's is how you achieve that goal.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You know very well how these threads turn out my friend. ;)

Anyway, i aint sticking around.

Why don't we all just resolve not to make such accusations? If someone says something that is untrue, it can be countered...with better facts.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Roman Catholics are pretty straight forward about the history of the papacy. In fact some of the fiercest critics of the pope has come within the Roman Church. Part of the corruption was that the papacy was (and still is to a far smaller degree) a political office. Recall the Papal States covered a vast swath in the middle of the Italian peninsula up until 1870. I suppose that it’s noteworthy that although these men on a personal level were creatans the never tinkered with the doctrine of the church.

In other words if I’m going to bash Rome it won’t because of a few of her popes. In fact there a several we hold in high regard. Our issue is and has always been theological. So don’t let this bother you. If the LCMS was around long enough to have 260+ presidents I’m am more than sure we’d have some real rotten ones too.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Pope Leo X (1513–1521), a spendthrift member of the Medici family who once spent 1/7 of his predecessors' reserves on a single ceremony.

Well, this is one of those odd things that Tocqueville labored over.

The Medici popes definitely abused the office of the Bishop of Rome. And yet, because of that abuse, we have Michelangelo's paintings in the Sistine Chapel, something that probably never would have happened otherwise. Michelangelo would have ended up behind the counter selling paint at Sherwin-Williams instead. In our "freer" Western democracy, we instead get things like bananas duct-taped to a white board.

Sigh. Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
I came across a wikipedia article about a book entitled "The Bad Popes" by someone named Chamberlain. I'm sure it's a huge derogatory slamfest on Catholics, which I don't support and I would never read. However, the following information is presented in the wikipedia article regarding specific popes below. Are the facts below from Wikipedia disputed or accepted?

Respectfully (as possible regarding this subject)
-J

Regardless of whether your a Catholic or not, you must know that some of the popes were less than Christ Like. At some point your going to read your Bible and if your honest with yourself your going to have questions. I suggest that you pray for The Truth. I believe that is what Christ wants for us. However The Bible indicates that men who don’t love The Truth are destined for darkness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As someone born and raised Catholic, my understanding has been that the Popes exist solely to be in charge of the Church's government and to defend the dogma of Faith. The whole idea of Roman Catholicism is that the Faith of the Apostles has been handed down from Saint Peter to now perfectly and non-contradictorily, with the Pope acting as the guardian of that Faith. In that role of protecting the Faith, they cannot be judged (as in, being deposed from the Papal office or judged a heretic).

That doesn't mean, though, that the Popes will be good people or will always be role-models. To me, that seems monstrous (because it necessarily implies that objective morality doesn't exist and changes based on who is in charge), and is flatly contradicted by Saint Paul rebuking Saint Peter to his face for being a Judaizing hypocrite.

It can seem like Catholics view the Papacy like that, but I think that either stems from a huge ignorance of history or it's because of alterior motives (where we are allowed to bash the conservative Pope Benedict XVI all we want, but suddenly with the liberal Pope Francis, you are a schismatic if you don't think all of his actions are inspired by God).

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's actually an OK book sticking pretty much to the facts. I've read it. I own a copy of it. I go back to it from time to time.

There have been bad popes. It's just a fact. Dante considered there would be some popes in hell, and probably so.

Just got the book from the thriftstore yesterday. The review on the back of the book says, "Are all popes actually Catholic - actually, some were Jewish."

^ I found that to be pretty funny, but certainly not PC.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, this is one of those odd things that Tocqueville labored over.

The Medici popes definitely abused the office of the Bishop of Rome. And yet, because of that abuse, we have Michelangelo's paintings in the Sistine Chapel, something that probably never would have happened otherwise. Michelangelo would have ended up behind the counter selling paint at Sherwin-Williams instead. In our "freer" Western democracy, we instead get things like bananas duct-taped to a white board.

Sigh. Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.
Sherwin Williams LOL IM DYING hahahaha

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, a few of the 266 Popes who have lived since Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church have led shameful, sinful lives, just like a few kings, a few presidents, a few of any large group of men you can name. However, the remarkable thing is that even the worst Popes who ever lived never taught anything false. God will not allow it. He promised the first Pope, Peter, and through Him all Popes, "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me".

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, the remarkable thing is that even the worst Popes who ever lived never taught anything false
Those of us who have studied church history know that this is not true

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, a few of the 266 Popes who have lived since Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church have led shameful, sinful lives, just like a few kings, a few presidents, a few of any large group of men you can name. However, the remarkable thing is that even the worst Popes who ever lived never taught anything false. God will not allow it.

Since some of them disagreed on matters of belief that ultimately became dogmas of the church, I don't know that you can go that far. Better just to say that the personal sanctity -- or lack of it -- of any Pope does not determine the validity of the Papacy.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, a few of the 266 Popes who have lived since Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church have led shameful, sinful lives, just like a few kings, a few presidents, a few of any large group of men you can name. However, the remarkable thing is that even the worst Popes who ever lived never taught anything false. God will not allow it. He promised the first Pope, Peter, and through Him all Popes, "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me".
I think Martin Luther had a different point of view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think Martin Luther had a different point of view.
Catholics don't care what Martin Luther thought, to them he was just another apostate running from church rule. A totally lost irritation and heretic.

Upvote 0

frederick943

Feb 9, 2020
PA usa
✟18,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,
I came across a wikipedia article about a book entitled "The Bad Popes" by someone named Chamberlain. I'm sure it's a huge derogatory slamfest on Catholics, which I don't support and I would never read. However, the following information is presented in the wikipedia article regarding specific popes below. Are the facts below from Wikipedia disputed or accepted?

-J

Hello,

-J

Upvote 0

frederick943

Feb 9, 2020
PA usa
✟18,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have read the book by E R Chamberlin, as well as many other books on church history. The popes were generally a very bad lot. Simony, lust for temporal power, forgeries, and gross misuse of the spiritual weapon of excommunication led to all manner of problems. All the popes listed were very bad, and I would add Boniface VIII to the list. He's the one who Dante placed in the inner circle of hell. Gregory VII had a whole school of forgers. He declared himself a saint.
For a long time, the papacy was the domain of certain families (Colonnas, Contis, Orsinis etc.) who craved power above all. Another good book is "Vicars of Christ" by Peter De Rosa. He mentions the above characters as well as some of the more modern popes.
A more modern work about the popes and their minions is "In The Closet of the Vatican" by Frederic Martel.

Upvote 0